Clemson opens ACC action hosting No. 3 UNC
|Thursday, March 7, 2019, 1:21 PM-|
CLEMSON, S.C. - The No. 20 Tigers begin ACC play with a three-game home series against No. 3 North Carolina this weekend.
• Who - North Carolina (12-1, 0-0 ACC) vs. Clemson (9-3, 0-0 ACC)
• Best Rankings - UNC - No. 3 Baseball America, D1Baseball, USA Today; CU - No. 20 Collegiate Baseball
• When - Friday (6 p.m.), Saturday (3 p.m.), Sunday (1 p.m.)
• Where - Clemson, S.C. (Doug Kingsmore Stadium)
• Watch - ACC Network Extra
• Video Announcers - Jose Alvarez, Fred Cunningham (Sunday), Kendall Lewis (Friday), Nathan McCreary (Saturday)
• Listen (Radio) - WCCP (105.5 FM), ESPN Upstate
• Listen (Internet) - ClemsonTigers.com, TuneIn
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Tickets - ClemsonTigers.com, 1-800-CLEMSON
• Promotion (Friday) - Giveaway - Trading cards set (1/5) for the first 1,000 fans
• Promotion (Saturday) - Giveaway - Pennant for the first 1,000 fans
• Promotion (Sunday) - Game Highlight - Kids run the bases
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 99-92-1 (1901-2017)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 47-32-1 (1901-2015)
• Friday - RHP Gianluca Dalatri (UNC, 1-0, 1.06 ERA) vs. RHP Davis Sharpe (CU, 2-0, 2.45)
• Saturday - RHP Tyler Baum (UNC, 3-0, 1.42) vs. LHP Mat Clark (CU, 2-0, 2.00)
• Sunday - RHP Austin Bergner (UNC, 1-0, 3.45) vs. LHP Keyshawn Askew (CU, 2-0, 4.15)
• Clemson defeated Furman 3-1 at Fluor Field in Greenville, S.C., on Tuesday night.
• The Tigers are averaging 7.1 runs per game and hitting .257 with a .380 on-base percentage and 27 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 4.12 ERA, .220 opponents’ batting average and 3.62 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .979.
NORTH CAROLINA OVERVIEW
• North Carolina is led by 21st-year head coach Mike Fox.
• The Tar Heels beat Charleston Southern at home 7-6 on Tuesday. They are hitting .268 and have a 2.59 ERA and .967 fielding percentage.
• Ike Freeman is hitting .390 with three homers and 15 RBIs, while Michael Busch is batting .343 with three homers and 10 RBIs.
• The Tar Heels swept Clemson in three games in Chapel Hill in 2017 in the most recent meetings between the two teams.
• In Clemson's last series against North Carolina at Doug Kingsmore Stadium in 2015, the Tigers won two of three games.
• The last seven matchups (in 2015, 2017) between Clemson and North Carolina have been decided by a combined 14 runs, with four one-run games.
DAVIDSON DOING IT ALL
• Junior shortstop Logan Davidson has shown the ability to impact the game in a variety of ways.
• He was voted as a co-captain (alongside Carson Spiers) by his teammates prior to the 2019 season.
• He is hitting .250 with three doubles, four homers, 12 RBIs, 11 runs, a .407 on-base percentage and seven steals in 12 games.
• He has committed only two errors in 45 chances at shortstop, good for a .956 fielding percentage.
• In his career, he is hitting .286 with 30 doubles, 31 homers, 99 RBIs, 127 runs, a .399 on-base percentage and 27 steals in 138 games.
• He has started every Clemson game of his career.
• His father, Mark, a former Tiger and MLB player, was a student assistant coach on the 2018 team.