Clemson snaps report: Young Tigers gain experience
|Wednesday, September 6, 2017, 4:48 PM- -|
Clemson football played 91 Tigers in the opener versus Kent State, giving the starters a taste of game-action but nothing too taxing in a 56-3 win.
This week’s snap counts will look dramatically from the Clemson-Auburn showdown this weekend, but the game provided some key game film to evaluate for some younger players.
Noting week one from the Clemson participation report (see full list below):
* Junior quarterback Kelly Bryant saw the most snaps of any Tigers (48) en route to a school total-offense record in an opener (313 yards). True freshman and five-star prospect Hunter Johnson came into the game third behind redshirt freshman Zerrick Cooper, but ended up playing a few more snaps (20 versus 14).
* Clemson’s co-offensive coordinators have praised the depth in the receiver corps, and the snaps were pretty even in the opener. No scholarship Tiger receiver topped 30 snaps (Ray Ray McCloud leading, 27) and the fewest plays were 19 (Cornell Powell, who caught his first career touchdown).
* Tight end Milan Richard’s first start was a strong showcase for what he can do this season (35 snaps), totaling 70 yards on two catches.
* Dexter Lawrence, who is playing after offseason toe surgery, led Clemson’s defensive tackles with 23 snaps.
* Kendall Joseph picked up from where he left off last season with a team-best eight tackles (one TFL) in only 25 snaps. Sophomore Chad Smith logged three solo tackles in 13 snaps and two more on special teams.
* Due to an early Van Smith injury (sprained knee), K’Von Wallace led the Tiger DBs with 31 snaps, followed by starting safety Tanner Muse (28). Sophomore cornerback Trayvon Mullen played his most snaps (22) since Nov. 5 against Syracuse last season (29), leading all Tiger corners.
Tracking Clemson's snaps against Kent State:
(Noted: Snaps are tracked for depth-chart contributors and select scholarship athletes. Players are listed at their positions by the week’s depth chart. The participation report is provided by Clemson.)
Quarterback (3): Kelly Bryant 48, Hunter Johnson 20, Zerrick Cooper 14.
Running Back (4): C.J. Fuller 24, Travis Etienne 15, Adam Choice 12, Tavien Feaster 11.
Offensive Line (11): Tyrone Crowder 37, Mitch Hyatt 37, Taylor Hearn 37, Cade Stewart 36, Tremayne Anchrum 35, Sean Pollard 33, John Simpson 26, Maverick Morris 22, Chandler Reeves 21, Gage Cervenka 16.
DB (CB/S/NB - 11): K’Von Wallace 31, Tanner Muse 28, Trayvon Mullen 22, A.J. Terrell 21, Isaiah Simmons 21, Amir Trapp 17, Ryan Carter 15, Marcus Edmond 13, Mark Fields 10, Van Smith 9**, Nolan Turner 9.
*Suspended for at least one game.
**Injured pregame or in-game.