|Position:||Assistant Coach, Cornerbacks|
|As a Player:||Boston College: 1991 - 1994; Carolina Panthers: 1995-1996; NFL Europe, Frankfurt|
• In six years on staff, he has helped the Tigers to a 76-9 record and three appearances in the national championship game, winning national titles in 2016 and 2018.
• Placed both 2018 starting corners on the All-ACC team, including Trayvon Mullen’s second-team selection and A.J. Terrell’s third-team nod.
• Helped Mullen and Terrell play major roles in Clemson’s 44-16 National Championship Game win. Terrell opened the scoring on a pick-six, and Mullen earned Defensive MVP honors with six tackles, an interception, a sack and a forced fumble.
• Contributed to Clemson’s 2018 defense leading the nation in scoring defense (13.1 points per game) for the first time in school history.
• His cornerbacks helped Clemson rank fifth in the nation in pass efficiency defense (106.9) in 2017.
• Coached two first-team All-ACC defensive backs in Jadar Johnson and Cordrea Tankersley in 2016.
• His defensive backs contributed to the 2015 Tigers ranking fourth in the nation in third-down conversion percentage defense.
• Coached first-team All-ACC cornerback Mackensie Alexander, second-team All-ACC safety Jayron Kearse and third-team All-ACC cornerback Cordrea Tankersley in 2015 en route to being named FootballScoop Defensive Backs Coach of the Year.
• Helped the 2014 squad lead the nation in total defense (260.8), while also ranking in the top five in many other statistical categories. Coached first-team All-ACC cornerback Garry Peters that season.
• His defensive backs combined for 15 interceptions in 2013. Bashaud Breeland, who had a team-tying-high four interceptions and 74 tackles, was a second-team All-ACC selection and a fourth-round draft pick.
• His defensive backs helped Clemson finish 10th in the nation in turnovers forced (30) in 2013.
• Was the defensive backs coach at NC State for six seasons (2007-12).
• Has been an assistant coach at the college level for 14 years and at the NFL level for five seasons. He coached NC State All-American David Amerson, who ranked third in ACC history in career interceptions (18). As a professional coach with the Philadelphia Eagles, he worked with former Clemson All-American and nine-time Pro Bowl selection Brian Dawkins.
• Helped the Wolfpack to four bowl games in his six years with the program. That includes 2012, when NC State beat a top-five Florida State team and played Vanderbilt in the Music City Bowl.
• Three times in his last five years in Raleigh, NC State finished in the top 20 in the nation in interceptions.
• The 2011 NC State squad had 27 interceptions, the most by an FBS school since 2003, when Nebraska had 32. The total tied for second-most in ACC history and the most since 1994, when Virginia had 27 interceptions.
• In 2011, Amerson had 13 interceptions to lead the nation, five more than any other player. It tied for the third-most interceptions in NCAA history. Amerson also led the nation in interception return yards (205) and tied for the lead in interception returns for touchdown (2). Amerson was a unanimous All-American in 2011, when he was also a Thorpe Award finalist and won the Jack Tatum Award.
• In addition to Amerson, Reed also coached four different all-conference players at NC State across six seasons.
• Played on three bowl teams that finished with top-25 AP rankings, including the 1993 season when Boston College upset top-ranked Notre Dame in South Bend.
• Played three seasons for Tom Coughlin, who has gone on to win two Super Bowl Championships with the New York Giants, and his senior year for Dan Henning, who also went on to coach in the NFL.
• Was the last selection of the 1995 NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers and played two seasons (1995,96) for that team, including the 1995 team that played its home games at Memorial Stadium. He also played for the NFL Europe team in Frankfurt and was team captain of the 1999 team that won the World Bowl Championship.
*Courtesy Clemson Media Guide
Latest Mike Reed News
- FSU changed their medical rules when... -
- ACC player of the week. FSU front office -
- A timely quote in honor of our Head Coach -
- I did some research on FSU Medical -
- Never been more proud of our Head Coach! -
- Clemson ROTC... -
- FSU fans mailing masks to Dabo -
- Can we agree to cheer for UNC on 11/27 (ND game) -
- A few positives about the FSU game getting cancelled... -
- 4 Things Left to Do for Clemson before end of 2020.... -
- It’s for the best we didn’t play Florida state -
- Someone needs to let Bronco and UVA know that they need to -
- Will Ladson and Ngata and Tyler be back this week? -
- I know Georgia Tech is our official ACC rival, but -
- I'm telling you right now..if we get through a basketball -
- Click the link below to read more!