TigerNet is the oldest and largest Clemson Community online with 152,203 members, 57,884 news articles and 29M forum posts.
|Ht./Wt.:||6'5", 207 lbs|
|High School:||Greensboro Day School|
|Years:||2018 - 2020|
B I O
- Appeared in 31 games, starting a career-best 31 contests.
- Increased scoring output by 7.4 points per game (9.5 ppg).
- Held opponents in matched up situations to just 37.0 percent shooting.
- Rebounds per game more than doubled from 1.8 per game to 3.9 per game.
- More than doubled his amount of steals from 12 to 31.
- Shooting percentage increased 5.6 percent from last season (44.0 percent).
- More than quadrupled his assists from 15 to 68.
- Tallied a career-best four assists in a game on four occasions: vs. Alabama A&M, at North Carolina, at Wake Forest and at Virginia Tech.
Best Games, 2019-20
- Opened the season with back-to-back double-digit scoring games with 15 points in the home opener against Virginia Tech (Nov. 5) and 16 points in a win over Presbyterian (Nov. 7). Went 11-for-20 combined in both games from the floor.
- Scored 16 points on 4-for-8 shooting in a loss to No. 21 Colorado (Nov. 26) in the MGM Main Events tournament in Las Vegas.
- Put together three consecutive double-digit scoring games in a 3-0 stretch that saw the Tigers top NC State (Jan. 4), North Carolina (Jan. 11) and Duke (Jan. 14). He scored 12 points in a home win over the Wolfpack.
- He netted 17 points in the Tigers’ first-ever win over the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill, finishing an efficient 7-for-12 from the floor with six rebounds and four assists.
- Notched 14 points in a home win over No. 3 Duke, finishing 5-for-7 from the floor, including an ESPN SportsCenter Top 10 dunk over Duke’s Javin DeLaurier.
- Was a major catalyst in the Tigers’ win over No. 5 Louisville (Feb. 15), scoring a career-high 23 points on 7-for-9 shooting and a perfect 7-for-7 from the free throw line. He also finished with six rebounds.
- First career double-double came in a dominant win at Boston College (Feb. 22). Finished with 11 points, 10 rebounds and three assists.
- Notched 18 points in a home win over No. 6 Florida State (Feb. 29), finishing 6-for-13 from the floor with two rebounds and two assists.
- Playing back in his hometown for the ACC Tournament, he scored 11 points, grabbed three rebounds and dished two assists in a win over Miami (March 11).
- Appeared in all 34 games this season and made one start
- Made first career start against Mississippi State (Dec. 8)
- Played 20+ minutes on five occasions
- Averaged 2.1 points per game and 1.8 rebounds per contest
- Shot 38.4 percent from the floor and 32.1 percent from distance
- Grabbed 60 rebounds, including 15 on the offensive glass
- Tallied 15 assists, 12 steals and five blocks
- Played double-digit minutes in 22 games
- Made at least two field goals in nine contests.
Best Games, 2018-19
- Made collegiate debut playing 18 minutes in the season opener against The Citadel (Nov. 6)
- Scored five points and grabbed three rebounds against the Bulldogs
- Played double-digit minutes in the next three contests, scoring 10 total points, including tying his season-high of five against Sam Houston State (Nov. 14)
- Made his first collegiate start against Mississippi State in the Never Forget Tribute Classic – played 14 minutes
- Grabbed a career-high six rebounds at South Carolina (Dec. 22) and five points, including an emphatic dunk on the Gamecocks’ Chris Silva
- Connected on a career-best two 3-pointers against Wake Forest (Feb. 3)
- Tied season-high with two assists in 19 minutes played against North Carolina (March 2)
- Scored three points against NC State in the ACC Tournament (March 13) on an and-one play with a fast-break dunk in the first half
- Scored a career-high six points and grabbed four rebounds in first career postseason game against Wright State in the first round of the NIT (March 19) – finished 2-for-3 from the field against Wright State, including 1-for-2 from distance
- Blocked two shots and added an assist and a steal against the Raiders
- Scored four points against Wichita State (March 23)
- Came to Clemson as a four-star prospect
- Ranked No. 5 in the state of North Carolina according to Phenom Hoops
- Ranked 42nd at his position nationally according to ESPN
- Led his team in scoring and scored 24 points and was named MVP of the NCISAA 3A State Championship game
- Celected to the NCISSA all-state team for the second consecutive season as a senior and was named to the PACIS all-conference team for the third-straight year
- Three-time state champion
- Finished with 1,400 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 100 steals in career at Greensboro Day School
- Chose Clemson over Providence, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Boston College
- Born August 2, 1999 (turns 21 prior to the 2020-21 season).
- Majoring in Communications.
High School Accolades
- Finished career with 1,400 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists, 100 steals
- Lenwood Edwards Endowment Award for Academic Leadership
- Rivals Top 150
- Top 5 in Phenom Hoops
- 3-time state champion (2015, 2016, 2018)
- NCISAA 3A Championship Game MVP (2018)
- 2-time NCISAA 3A All-State (2017 and 2018)
- Associated Press NC All-State Team (2018)
- McDonald’s All-American Nominee (2018)
- News and Record Private School All-Area Player of the Year (2018)
- 3-time News and Record Private School All-Area Team (2016, 2017, 2018)
- ‘Iolani Classic All-Tournament Team (2018)
- Cannon Classic All-Tournament Team (2016)
- NBPA Top 100 Invitee and Participant (2017)
- Phenom Hoops National Showcase Game MVP (2016 and 2017)
- 3-time PACIS All-Conference Team (2016, 2017, 2018)
- 5-time HAECO Invitational Champion (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- HAECO Invitational MVP (2018)
- 3-time HAECO Invitational All-Tournament Team (2015, 2016, 2017)
- 15-0 record at HAECO Invitational
- 2-time participant at the GEICO (formerly called Dick’s) National HS Tournament
- Overall record of 152-24
- Averaged 14.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists during senior season
*Courtesy Clemson Media Guide
Latest John Newman News
- TNET: WATCH: Deshaun Watson posts second workout video -
- Happy Fathers Day to all of the dads here on tnet. -
- RV pass for the Clemson vs GA game in Charlotte -
- Clemson’s vs U of SUK best decade -
- Hill Watch...76 days!!! -
- Man I can’t wait for Bresee to be like . . . -
- TNET: Don't count on a youthful Dabo Swinney leaving Clemson anytime soon -
- Happy Fathers Day, Tiger dads! -
- UGA: would you trade Clemson series lead for 3 FB nattys? -
- Carrot Top to Gamecocks? -
- 2021 ACC Football & College Playoffs -
- Vandy gets gift run from ump -
- Vandy baseball needs to go on old school 1980’s probation -
- Clemson dominates ACC Best Defensive Linemen. -
- Just watched Jeremiah Alexander film -
- Click the link below to read more!