Monte Lee, two Clemson pitchers set to serve suspensions in Gardner-Webb series
|Friday, May 3, 2019 5:25 PM-|
Tiger Head Coach Monte Lee is suspended for one game and pitchers Holt Jones and Sam Weatherly are suspended for four games each due to events that occurred in Clemson's game at Georgia Tech on Sunday.
A warning was issued by an umpire to both teams in the fifth inning. Weatherly and Jones, who both entered the game after the seventh inning, were ejected in the eighth and ninth innings, respectively. Lee was automatically ejected as a result of the latter ejection.
NCAA rules state that when a pitcher is ejected, that pitcher must serve a four-game suspension. Also due to NCAA rules, Lee is suspended for one game.
After five days off for final exams, the Tigers play Gardner-Webb in a home-and-home weekend series starting Saturday.
• Who - Gardner-Webb (19-22) vs. Clemson (27-18)
• Best Ranking - GWU - NR; CU - NR
• When - Saturday (11 a.m.), Sunday (2 p.m.)
• Where - Clemson, S.C. (Doug Kingsmore Stadium) Saturday; Shelby, N.C. (Keeter Stadium) Sunday
• Watch - ACC Network Extra (Saturday)
• Video Announcers - Marty Clary, Pete Yanity
• Listen (Radio) - WCCP (105.5 FM), ESPN Upstate
• Listen (Internet) - ClemsonTigers.com, TuneIn
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - ClemsonBaseball
• Tickets - ClemsonTigers.com, 1-800-CLEMSON
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 10-0 (1975-15)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 9-0 (1975-15)
• Record at Gardner-Webb - Clemson leads 1-0 (2011)
• Saturday - LHP Isaac Campbell (GWU - 2-3, 5.01 ERA) vs. RHP Davis Sharpe (CU - 5-3, 2.90)
• Sunday - LHP Jacob Hennessy (CU - 3-0, 4.20) vs. RHP Landon Mitchell (GWU - 5-4, 4.30)
• Clemson, who has a 17-10 home record and 8-8 road record, won one of three games at No. 11 Georgia Tech last weekend.
• The Tigers are averaging 6.5 runs per game and hitting .261 with a .363 on-base percentage and 80 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 4.20 ERA, .239 opponents’ batting average and 2.40 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .970.
• Gardner-Webb is led by 17th-year head coach Rusty Stroupe.
• Wake Forest defeated the Runnin' Bulldogs 9-7 on Tuesday. They are hitting .268 and have a 6.14 ERA and .959 fielding percentage.
• Justin Kunz is hitting .335 with nine homers, Chandler Redmond is batting .289 with 15 homers and Jarrett Thompson has seven saves.
• Sunday's game marks Clemson's first-ever game at Shelby, N.C.
• Clemson has scored at least six runs in six straight games
• Clemson totaled 42 hits, including eight homers, one triple and eight homers, in the three-game series at No. 11 Georgia Tech last weekend.
TIGERS RECOGNIZED FOR APR SCORE
• Baseball was one of six Tiger programs in the top-10 percent of their sport in the eligibility, graduation and retention metric for 2017-18.
• It was the third year in a row (2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18) the Clemson baseball program was lauded by the NCAA for its APR.
• Clemson is one of only 17 Division I baseball programs recognized in each of the three most-recent reports.
• Clemson is one of only four Power Five Conference baseball programs recognized in each of the three most-recent reports.
• Clemson was one of only two ACC schools (Notre Dame) to earn recognition for baseball for 2017-18.