Clemson vs. FSU basketball notes
Site: Littlejohn Coliseum (10,000)
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2012
City: Clemson, SC
Time: 4:10 PM
Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Properties Pete Yanity - play-by-play, Tim Bourret - color)
TV: ESPN2 (Mike Patrick - play-by-play, Len Elmore - color)
Overall: Florida State leads 30-27
at Clemson: Clemson leads 17-8
at Littlejohn: Clemson leads 15-7
at Florida State: Florida State leads 17-6
at Neutral: Florida State leads 5-4
First Meeting: Clemson, 62-56, in 1951-52
Last Meeting: Clemson, 62-44, in 2010-11
Streak: Clemson won the last meeting
• Saturday’s game will serve as the ACC regular season opener for both Clemson and Florida State. It will be the second straight year the two will play in an ACC opener. Last year, FSU won 75-69 in Tallahassee to start conference play.
• Overall, the series between the two schools has been competitive, with Florida State holding a 30-27 edge. The Tigers have won three of the last four games.
• Last season, Clemson coach Brad Brownell won his first game with the program over a ranked opponent when the Tigers beat the No. 22 Seminoles 62-44 at home on Jan. 29.
• Clemson is 11-11 when opening the ACC regular season in Littlejohn Coliseum.
• The Tigers enter the game with an 8-6 record, having won four of their last six contests.
• Clemson rallied from nine down in the second half to beat East Tennessee State last time out, the second time in three games the Tigers have overcome a halftime deficit to win.
• The Seminoles are 9-5 on the season and stopped a two-game losing skid with a convincing 85-56 win over Auburn on Wednesday.
• Over its first eight contests Clemson attempted 104 free throws. In the last six games the Tigers have made 129 trips to the charity stripe.
• Clemson senior Andre YoungAndre Young
#11 5-9, 175
View Full Profile needs only nine points to reach the 1,000-point scoring mark of his career.
• Young is one three-point basket away from 200 for his career. Only five players in Clemson history have made that many three-pointers.
• Young had his No. 11 jersey retired by his alma mater, Deerfield-Windsor School in Albany, GA this past Tuesday.
• Devin BookerDevin Booker
#31 6-8, 245
View Full Profile, coming off a career-high 22 points against East Tennessee State, is averaging 13 points per game over Clemson’s last six contests.
• Tanner SmithTanner Smith
#5 6-5, 210
View Full Profile is fifth in the ACC in both assists per game (4.2) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.8).
• T.J. SappT.J. Sapp
#1 6-3, 190
Fort Lauderdale, FL
View Full Profile matched his season-high with 13 points against ETSU, and is 7-of-11 from three over the last two contests.
• Sam Perry, who helped the Tigers to the ACC Championship Game and NCAA Tournament as a senior in 2008, will be an honorary captain Saturday.