Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To everyone whining about our basketball team:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

To everyone whining about our basketball team:

Jan 12, 2019, 11:12 PM

Please stop.

No need to be dramatic and say that our team stinks, our coach stinks, and our season is over.

We aren't where we hoped we would be at this point in the season, but all is not lost. Did you honestly expect to win at Duke, at Syracuse, or at home against Virginia? If you did, you were expecting too much. Yes, we made it to the Sweet 16 last season, but we aren't the same team this year and this team is still figuring things out.

The reality is that our team is still finding its identity. Thomas has just gotten healthy, but has played well for the most part. Reed is mostly healthy but is still playing a bit tentative on his injured knee and has not shot the ball well lately. Mitchell has played very poorly all season and has honestly been a huge disappointment. All three must play better. Their struggles this year are not an indication of Brownell forgetting how to coach.

Last year DeVoe got hot and helped us overcome the midseason season-ending injury to Grantham. We don't have another DeVoe on this year's team. We need to find some additional scoring by committee, especially since Thomas, Reed, and Mitchell haven't been consistent. Unfortunately, Skara, Trapp, and Simms are not there yet. Simms is the guy who really needs to take that next step as a player, and he hasn't to this point.

We have a great opportunity to get our first conference win against Georgia Tech on Wednesday. They are a good team, much improved, but we can beat them. Let's focus on that game, rather than predicting doom and gloom the rest of the season.

If you can't do that, and support our team like a good Clemson fan should, then please stop being a basketball fan - or at least stop posting here. Thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

I support the basketball program, I have season tickets,

Jan 12, 2019, 11:25 PM

however, this team is not even going to make the NCAA tournament.

When you return 4 starters (3 of which are graduates/seniors) from a Sweet 16 team, that is pitiful. We really only lost one starter and one contributer (Donnell) from last years team.

Are we getting $2.5 million worth out of our basketball program?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your doom and gloom is a bit premature.

Jan 12, 2019, 11:31 PM

I thought we would be better than 10-6 at this point but we are just getting into conference play. Surely you can acknowledge that most teams in the ACC would likely be 0-3 right now after opening ACC play at Duke, at Syracuse, and against Virginia.

Our team has a ton to improve upon, but if you notice, Brownell's teams almost always show great improvement as the year goes on. I have no reason to think we won't do the same this year.

Also, I don't think Brownell's $2.5 million has anything to do with injuries to Reed and Thomas, both of whom have not been themselves thus far, nor do I think that Brownell's $2.5 million has anything to do with Mitchell being a huge disappointment so far.

Do you think Brownell forgot how to coach all of a sudden?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you think Brownell forgot how to coach all of a sudden?!?

Jan 13, 2019, 12:05 PM

I never said a word about “forgot”. I dont think there was any forgetting of anything.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you don’t think Brownell knows how to coach at all?

Jan 13, 2019, 12:22 PM

If not, are you saying that our Sweet 16 team last year occurred in spite of his coaching?

Re: Your doom and gloom is a bit premature.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Your doom and gloom is a bit premature. ]

Short answer... of course he didn’t forget how to coach. He’s coached the same way his entire tenure, which would have ended last season had Devoe not started pouring in 3s at an unprecedented rate.

I think it’s reasonable to expect this team to beat Syracuse. They aren’t the Syracuse of past. The problem isn’t being 0-3, the problem is we continue to have the same problems we always do. We can’t score more than 50-60 points in a game and can’t compete.

All that said... when you are the national champs who really cares.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me make sure I'm understanding your post.

Jan 14, 2019, 8:26 AM

We won last year in spite of Brownell's coaching, but we are losing this year because of it?

Re: Your doom and gloom is a bit premature.

Jan 14, 2019, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Your doom and gloom is a bit premature. ]

“Forgot” lol. I always said if you keep a coach around long enough you’ll have one good year, let Brownell take us to the big dance back to back years and I’ll shut up forever, not going to happen

Re: I support the basketball program, I have season tickets,

Jan 13, 2019, 1:41 PM [ in reply to I support the basketball program, I have season tickets, ]

Will never be a basketball school.

That's unacceptable.***

Jan 14, 2019, 8:27 AM

you sure seem to make a lot of excuses***

Jan 12, 2019, 11:37 PM

Explanations, not excuses***

Jan 13, 2019, 12:14 AM

Re: To everyone whining about our basketball team:

Jan 12, 2019, 11:48 PM

You are a giant hypocrite. Remember what you posted about Elliott after the A&M game? You were calling for the head of one the best coordinators in our history. It's baffling that you will put up with a sub-par basketball product most years, but will turn a successful football coach after a few games.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Im-not-sold-on-the-Elliott-Scott-arrangement-23997821
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/We-need-to-apply-best-is-the-standard-to-our-OCs-24010031
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Nothing-really-24004200
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Thats-fine-if-youre-cool-losing-to-Alabama-most-years-24037727
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-dont-blame-Lawrence-for-the-A38;M-pass-rush-23997880#23997880
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-agree-100***-24001283
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Exactly-He-was-a-victim-of-poor-play-calling-and-awful-blocking-24002556#24002556
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-completely-disagree-with-your-mentality-24003558#24003558
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Honestly-when-has-it-not-looked-disjointed***-24003947

But please continue to act all self-righteous...

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

People don’t think cyberspace be like it is......

Jan 12, 2019, 11:56 PM

But it do.......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm flattered that you spent so much time and effort

Jan 13, 2019, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Re: To everyone whining about our basketball team: ]

to respond to my post.

But what on earth does our football program have to do with our basketball program? One is, and always has been, a huge priority at Clemson, and the other isn't.

In the future, if you want to engage in a discussion about Clemson basketball, don't ever bring up Clemson football because it probably doesn't apply.

Re: I'm flattered that you spent so much time and effort

Jan 13, 2019, 12:23 AM

Other than the football program being the main money driver behind the entire athletic department it has nothing to do with basketball, but I'm just showing how big of a hypocrite you are when discussing different coaches. FWIW it took only 5 minutes to respond to you, and by your reaction it looks like you don't like getting called out.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I don’t mind being called out when I’m wrong.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:21 PM

The intent of my original post was to remind those who are freaking out about our basketball team to relax. I don’t understand why you felt that I needed to be “called out,” nor do I find your football comparison relevant. Elliott has five star players at many positions, including QB, WR, and OL, whereas Brownell has none. Apples and oranges.

I didn’t realize that we are supposed to have equivalent expectations for every coach. Thanks for the heads up.

Brownell has none bc he is a terrible recruiter

Jan 14, 2019, 7:24 AM

Even many non traditional schools like Auburn, LSU, Va Tech can land some top talent guys.

Interestingly, all three of those schools are

Jan 14, 2019, 8:31 AM

currently under investigation for recruiting violations in the recent past.

I'm not denying that our recruiting needs to be better if we want to compete at the highest level, but there is no denying that it has improved in recent seasons. Before Brownell, we were never even in the conversation for the super elite 5 star players (I'm not counting Milton Jennings), but we barely missed on Zion Williamson last year and Josiah James this year. Obviously being close doesn't improve our basketball team, but it does represent a trend in the right direction.

Because people always seem to refer back to football comparisons here, getting that top tier talented guy in basketball would hopefully be like getting C.J. Spiller in football.

Our team doesn't stink, and our coach doesn't stink.

Jan 12, 2019, 11:52 PM

Injuries have been a factor. Still, this season has been a disappointment no matter what the reasons are, and there's nothing wrong with expressing that on here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It's funny how people seem to care enough to whine

Jan 13, 2019, 12:18 AM

about our basketball program, but don't care enough to support it well consistently.

Re: It's funny how people seem to care enough to whine

Jan 13, 2019, 12:49 PM

Mike drop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our team doesn't stink, and our coach doesn't stink.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Our team doesn't stink, and our coach doesn't stink. ]

Our team doesn't stink at all. Our coach isn't awful either. He is just nothing special. He is a decent coach and a good person though. I wish he would do better overall, because I would want us to have him for years to come. My gut is that next year will be his last.

I'm afraid you are right.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:23 PM

We lose a ton of production after this year. I don't see a lot of talent coming back. Hopefully we can get one or two really talented high school recruits or graduate transfers.

Re: I'm afraid you are right.

Jan 13, 2019, 3:27 PM

Yeah next year will be a dropoff. That's why, as much as like CBB, I think next year will be his last.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:11 PM

It's just that we won't likely make the tournament this year nor next year and that gets old. We don't make it often enough. I can see why people complain.

We just had one of our best seasons in our history.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:24 PM

We are just 3 games into ACC play. Let's see how things play out before we conclude that we aren't making the Tourney this year.

Re: We just had one of our best seasons in our history.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:47 PM

I said not likely. It isn't likely. I agree there is a chance still though. We have the talent imo. Like you said, we are having a problem finding our identity.

After that Alabama beatdown Monday night,

Jan 13, 2019, 12:13 PM

no need to pout about basketball. It helped in 2017 also when probably our best roster under CBB also went flat.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your attitude is part of the reason why we aren't better

Jan 13, 2019, 2:26 PM

in basketball. Being good at football shouldn't cause us to care less about basketball.

Nah. I don't think so.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:52 PM

And I don't care less about basketball this year because of football, I'm just feeling free of the emotional distress being a Clemson b-ball fan elicits, again.

CBB needs to loosen up. Gabe helped create a challenging vibe on the team last year, along with Marquise. Coach needs to fill the Gabe void, and he's yet to show he's capable of that most critical element in the head guy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 1:40 PM

Yawn.

Different year same sad old song.

Every team deals with attrition and injuries.

Has Duke had significant injuries to its three main stars

Jan 13, 2019, 2:26 PM

this year? I'll wait.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:19 PM

This team is obviously lacking something. My guess would be leadership.

I’ll give him the injury excuse, and maybe some guys are playing more banged up than we know. I hope so because they look terrible.

I agree we are missing something.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:27 PM

I am optimistic it will get fixed.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: To everyone whining about our basketball team: ]

Maybe someone will settle in and start getting on fore from 3 pt land over the remainder of the season. Could happen.

Shelton Mitchell is the x-factor.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:57 PM

He was shooting around 40% on threes his sophomore and junior seasons, and this year he is shooting just 27%. His overall field goal percentage is also down this year (38%), as are his assists. Turnovers are up slightly.

His numbers are especially poor in our 3 ACC games this year. He is 7-29 on field goals (24%), and 2-12 on threes (17%). He is averaging just 7 points per game, 2 assists per game, and 1.67 turnovers in those three games.

Those numbers have to improve considerably.

Re: Shelton Mitchell is the x-factor.

Jan 13, 2019, 3:49 PM

What is status of Malik Williams

I think ..

Jan 13, 2019, 5:25 PM

I think they decided to red shirt him because he was cleared to play from what Brad said before the SCola game and never heard anything after that.

My guess is that no one can put the ball in the basket***

Jan 13, 2019, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Re: To everyone whining about our basketball team: ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 12:25 AM

I didn't expect to win these games, but don't tell me they are finding their identity. They are not good . .take away DeVoe and we are average, or even below. You can't win big games without a go to man, a game changer with his shot.We don't have that. So I didn't expect much, but they still are horrible.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:27 AM

I was a HS coach for 11 years,. If you are still "fining yourself" ,as a team, mid January . . you're in trouible

Jan 14, 2019, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Re: To everyone whining about our basketball team: ]

We have made tremendous strides in rebounding and free throws in recent years. What we need to do now is forget those "icing on the cake" threes and focus on our "bread and butter" twos. We have to have someone on staff who can spend some time studying our shot charts and see the possessions we are wasting on three point attempts. If we make one 2-pointer, it's still more points than half a dozen missed 3-point attempts.

PS GMCalis & Petesponies, I would like to congratulate you both on your fine pulses.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic