Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wish our OC’s could learn from Jimbo.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

I wish our OC’s could learn from Jimbo.

Sep 9, 2018, 8:48 AM

Our defensive front seven was killing every 1 on 1 battle. But due to smart scheming and play calling most of our advantages were neutralized and even used against us. Kellen Mond played as well against us as any QB I’ve ever seen. I know they got away with holding more than average but the coaching job by Jimbo was brilliant and Mond’s insane level of play boosted its effectiveness. (Holding no-calls helped a little too)

I wish our OC’s could find a small piece of that. Start scheming for the opponents. Have backup plans. It killed us against Bama and it almost killed us last night. Don’t get me wrong, I see the value in “focusing on us.” But we need to do more to give our players advantages by formulating gameplans BASED ON OUR OPPONENTS. Our players on offense are having to overcome scheme disadvantages. Kelly Bryant had an amazing game and deserves a LOT of credit for that win. But it really should have been easier.

Our offensive coaching is too similar to a massive, conventional army that is susceptible to an enemy that fights an irregular form of war. Yeah, we are so dominant most of the time that it doesn’t matter, but we shouldn’t have to RELY on epic performances by once in a generation athletes (Deshaun and Mike Williams vs Bama) in order to win against really good defenses.

I know we had some scary problems from our defense last night, but our defensive staff has thoroughly proven they can adapt and think outside the box. I’m not worried about them. Our offense needs to take the same hints.

Rant over. Great win, Go Tigers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish our OC’s could learn from Jimbo.

Sep 9, 2018, 9:00 AM

We are vanilla offense period. Afraid to do too much. Game plan was to keep turnovers to none. Rely on defense to win the game. Just about cost us the game. Throw out the bubble screen. Most of KB passes 3 feet to rb. All the ones he did not make were 15 years or better. OL can not run block anyone and can not pass block much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2018, 9:10 AM

Our defensive front seven was killing every 1 on 1 battle. But due to smart scheming and play calling most of our advantages were neutralized and even used against us. Kellen Mond played as well against us as any QB I’ve ever seen. I know they got away with holding more than average but the coaching job by Jimbo was brilliant and Mond’s insane level of play boosted its effectiveness. (Holding no-calls helped a little too)

I wish our OC’s could find a small piece of that. Start scheming for the opponents. Have backup plans. It killed us against Bama and it almost killed us last night. Don’t get me wrong, I see the value in “focusing on us.” But we need to do more to give our players advantages by formulating gameplans BASED ON OUR OPPONENTS. Our players on offense are having to overcome scheme disadvantages. Kelly Bryant had an amazing game and deserves a LOT of credit for that win. But it really should have been easier.

Our offensive coaching is too similar to a massive, conventional army that is susceptible to an enemy that fights an irregular form of war. Yeah, we are so dominant most of the time that it doesn’t matter, but we shouldn’t have to RELY on epic performances by once in a generation athletes (Deshaun and Mike Williams vs Bama) in order to win against really good defenses.

I know we had some scary problems from our defense last night, but our defensive staff has thoroughly proven they can adapt and think outside the box. I’m not worried about them. Our offense needs to take the same hints.

Rant over. Great win, Go Tigers.

I completely agree. Beautifully stated. Jimbo's vision on attacking a god like defense was realized by a QB playing out of his mind. In Brent's defense they were an unknown. There is no excuse for the offensive staff. Can't get much worse. High School coaching there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2018, 9:13 AM

Are you saying zone read, bubble screen, zone read, bubble screen, zone read.... isn't imaginative?

You are so right. Jimbo gave us a master class in how to call an offense.

indeed we have stud rbs

Sep 9, 2018, 9:18 AM

we need to allow them to be the running backs and let he qbs throw the ball

scott and elliot suck imo

Sep 9, 2018, 9:17 AM

we run the same game plan every game on offense no matter who we play..basically our offense flows on out talenting the teams we play

Re: scott and elliot suck imo

Sep 9, 2018, 10:24 PM

are you nut.......those guys have help get us to the playoffs the last 3 years and won us another national championship on top of that..........we are lucky to have both of those guys.......Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 9, 2018, 10:07 PM

We should get Jimbo as our OC.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

Our O game plan is mostly scripted just the order changes week to week.
You can tell because after just about every long pass play with KB the next play is some kind of draw.
You can also tell because they go away from what’s working every time.
They have drives when we mostly run and gain yards then start throwing bombs.
You watch if we ever get 2nd and 1 past the 40 or around mid field.
They go for the long pass then when it doesn’t work try the RPO.
Which most times KB gets stuffed behind the line

We need to apply "best is the standard" to our OCs.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:20 PM

Last night was a horribly called game by our co-OCs, and it better improve drastically or we won't even sniff an opportunity for another national championship this year.

I don't understand why other teams - even those far less talented than we are - seem to be able to execute basic plays like handoffs/pitches to running backs and passes over the middle of the field to WRs and TEs with regularity. We can't, and haven't in a long time.

Instead, we run the same handful of stupid plays that only work against teams with far less talent than we have.

Texas A&M said after the game last night that they knew what plays we were going to run before we snapped the ball. That's a problem, folks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: We need to apply "best is the standard" to our OCs.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:25 PM

Even with DW the play calling sucked.
Not until they started letting him change the plays at the line did the O really take off.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:57 PM

So at what point with Watson at QB did our offense struggle to produce? Then at what point did Watson start changing plays which allowed our offense to take off?

Sep 9, 2018, 10:27 PM [ in reply to We need to apply "best is the standard" to our OCs. ]

Yet we still managed to win

Sad logic.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:31 PM

I would argue that we won in spite of the offensive coaching last night, not as a result of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sad logic.

Sep 11, 2018, 9:08 AM

I wasn't saying our OC were calling a great game or should not change things up a little bit. I was just saying after all that we still won.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:53 PM [ in reply to We need to apply "best is the standard" to our OCs. ]

If only we had a OC that was just named the best assistant coach in country....oh wait. It amazes me how you will be the first to criticize national championship winning coaches but will stick up for a basketball coach that has only gone to the NCAA tourney 25% of his time at Clemson.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Because Brownell always does more with less.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:19 PM

He doesn't have the best recruits in the nation filling his roster, yet we go toe to toe with teams that do.

In contrast, in football, we are one of the most talented offensive teams yet our performance rarely lives up to that talent level.

Does the Alabama game last year not bother you from an offensive perspective? Did last night not leave a lot to be desired?

Re: lobbing it

Sep 9, 2018, 11:23 PM

That’s what she said.

Message was edited by: AddyGirl®

Re: lobbing it

Sep 10, 2018, 12:08 AM

you’re barred from that phrase

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Because Brownell always does more with less.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Because Brownell always does more with less. ]

So the Bama game last year and a single road game completely wipes out their entire body of work that includes putting up 37, 40, 31, and 35 points in all other playoff games or 45, 42, and 38 points in all the ACC Championship Games? Also per the ESPN FPI we had the 9th, 3rd, and 14th most efficient offenses the past three years. Sorry but the facts just don't fit your assertions and if we truly went toe to toe with the best teams in basketball on a consistent basis we would have made the tourney more than 25% of Brad's seasons.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:25 PM

Our OCs have won the last 4 games vs Jimbo Fisher's teams .
Not sure about yo maff.

DB23

Sep 9, 2018, 10:50 PM

No, our TEAM has won the last 4 games

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 12:03 AM

Just our team huh? I guess it’s not as if Jimbo had a bunch of talented players at FSU or A&M and we just outtalented him.

Sensible post. I agree. Now if only TNET reporters

Sep 9, 2018, 10:36 PM

"the" David Hood and "the" Nikki Hood would ask the hard questions during the pressers towards our OCs! It's time to play hardball and stop acting like the Clemson coaches are their friends. #AMIRITE?!

Good Lort....

Sep 9, 2018, 10:44 PM

I ignored post for a bit hoping that the thread would mature, but was disappointed that none here landed a girlfriend.

Good grief Charlie B, Go Tigers.

Jimbo's Brilliance

Sep 11, 2018, 9:33 AM

Let's see now...
1. His teams have now lost four straight
2. His teams have NOT made the CFP the past four seasons
3. His teams have NOT beaten Bama

The grass is greener?

Shall I continue?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25