Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chad morris
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Chad morris

Sep 13, 2018, 9:28 PM

Hey guys I’m a long time tiger fan and first time poster. My question is that I thought we would continue to run the offense that coach Morris brought here. I remember us putting up 60 plus on Maryland 50 plus on Georgia tech with taj and then 50 plus in Watson’s first year against a good North Carolina team. We don’t run any jet sweeps,we don’t throw any tite end slants on third and short and we don’t have all of the motion in the backfield. Why have we gotten away from being aggressive

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my opinion, and maybe it was personnel, when Chad was here

Sep 13, 2018, 9:35 PM

Our o was on or it was off. There were times it just couldn’t get going. We’ve won a lot more games with our other two ocs. I guess it’s fair to throw dws name out as part of the reason and defense and FSU being down but. I like winning not sure why some folks seem opposed to it. But I do appreciate all Chad did for us definitely left it better than he found it

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In my opinion, and maybe it was personnel, when Chad was here

Sep 13, 2018, 9:53 PM

I know that a few of the posters who question the coaches get called out as coots and I am certainly not a coot but this is something that has been on my mind for a couple of years now. It seems that we used to keep our foot on the gas for the entire game and by halftime we would have 28 to 35 points. Remember the carrier dome maybe five years ago. I just can’t help but thinking what kind of points we would be putting up if we ran that offense with the talent that we have now

It’s possible but remember, one regular season loss for the

Sep 13, 2018, 10:09 PM

Last two years. Both were to teams we shouldn’t have lost to both scored 40 pts on us. Otherwise we’ve lost two Alabama the current dynasty in college football. Not too shabby. I think where people get upset is we get up on auburn, Texas a and m, etc etc—there are several examples and then seem to go conservative. Then let them back in it. I hate that too bc way to close but we haven’t lost a single game that way. Though nc state, Nd, and t and m were scary. The games we’ve lost again one reg season each last two years and Alabama in bc the year before we were never really up by much.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Re: It’s possible but remember, one regular season loss for the

Sep 13, 2018, 11:14 PM

No cmoney I was talking about 2014

Re: It’s possible but remember, one regular season loss for the

Sep 14, 2018, 7:52 AM

2014 UNC was 6-7 and lost to ECU 70-41. DW4 had his first start against them and had over 400 yards passing but they were not a good team at all.

Apples and oranges. We didn't have a defense back then good

Sep 13, 2018, 10:17 PM [ in reply to In my opinion, and maybe it was personnel, when Chad was here ]

enough to afford the offense the luxury of screwing around. In a lot of those games we either scored 30-40+ or we lost. There was a lot of pressure on the offense to score and there wasn't usually time for them to settle into a game and slowly find their way.

We have a defense now that routinely gets the ball back to the offense quickly and often creates good field position for them too.

Re: Apples and oranges. We didn't have a defense back then good

Sep 13, 2018, 10:25 PM

There's been plenty of games since 2015 that we've needed to score 30+ points to win. Heck in half of the current OCs losses we have scored 40+ points. It's also worth noting that even our offense last year was rated more efficient per the FPI than the 2011, 2013, and 2014 offenses.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I get what you’re saying but we are a different team and it’s all that

Sep 13, 2018, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Apples and oranges. We didn't have a defense back then good ]

You can compare. My counterpoint is again both regular season losses we allowed offenses to score 40 pts on us. Not at all saying it was the defenses fault. But you would think 40 pts should be enough to win both of those games

Re: Apples and oranges. We didn't have a defense back then good

Sep 13, 2018, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Apples and oranges. We didn't have a defense back then good ]

That answer makes zero sense!! So we don't score now because our defense is better? So we would rather our defense on the field vs the offense? Dude, that has to be the dumbest football response in the world!

Woosh***

Sep 13, 2018, 11:46 PM

I think you just described Alabama’s philosophy.***

Sep 14, 2018, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Apples and oranges. We didn't have a defense back then good ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Chad morris

Sep 13, 2018, 9:36 PM

Maybe regressed on play calling, but IMHO, different players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 11:18 PM

Better players! Worse offensive play calling!

Sep 13, 2018, 9:39 PM

Morris Offense was more of a gimmick based try to match teams with more talent system. It either flew or flopped. It was hard to execute and when it was off, it was off. We now have the talent to run a more pro style offense. Just my opinion.

Sep 13, 2018, 9:42 PM

One huge thing, we’re a much better defensive team now so we aren’t having to score 40+ to win most games. Also, no offense to Bryant, but he’s not the passer Watson or even Boyd was.

Sep 13, 2018, 10:02 PM

I completely understand what you’re saying Clemson 2003 about the defense but that is exactly my question. If we still had that kind of offense with the defense that we now have we would be extremely hard to beat!

Sep 13, 2018, 10:10 PM

Under Chars system, our defense could not have the numbers it now has. The fast strike systems put extreme pressure on your own defense. Look at any team that runs an offense similar to Morris, they give up a lot of points. Its not a coo,evidence. A slow clock eating offense, keeps the other offense off the field and keeps its own offense rested. I would rather win every game we play by less than 14 points than beat most the teams we play by 50 and lose two or three games.

Alabama will be a bit different this year due to a freak of nature quarterback, but Saban has thrived on a boring, grinding offense.

Sep 13, 2018, 10:11 PM

I meant "Chad's system."

Sep 13, 2018, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Chad morris ]

Once again, terrible answer! So Dabo would rather not score, play slow just so the defense don't have to play but yet they get to play a lot because a 3-Out? So we don't score 40-50pts because we have to play too fast to do it? Or we don't score 40-50pts because we would be in a shootout and we don't want our all-american future all-star 3rd string playing because they will get tired? These responses on this thread are hilariously dumb!

Yes, our new philosophy is we don't want to score!

Message was edited by: TigerBigBass

Sep 14, 2018, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad morris ]

Are you saying that we are not extremely hard to beat now??? We have 4 losses in the last 3+ seasons and two of those loses were in the playoffs.

We shouldn't be in a position to rely on our defense

Sep 13, 2018, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Chad morris ]

to win games. That's what has happened a few times recently. It's great to get wins in those close games, but eventually our offense will be required to pick up the slack if the defense is having a bad day, or we play a really good offense. Right now, our offense can't be counted on to consistently move the ball and score points.

I hope it won't take an unexpected loss for our coaches to realize that significant changes need to be made in play calling and overall philosophy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: We shouldn't be in a position to rely on our defense

Sep 13, 2018, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I get it Judge. How do think defense will fair against GEORGIA SOUTHERN?

Who?***

Sep 13, 2018, 10:38 PM

Re: Who?***

Sep 14, 2018, 12:28 AM

He meant Georgia State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We shouldn't be in a position to rely on our defense

Sep 13, 2018, 10:33 PM [ in reply to We shouldn't be in a position to rely on our defense ]

If we can score 35 points a game that should be plenty even with a bad day from our D. We were 1 yard away from that last Saturday and our O didn't even play that great. Now maybe A&M doesn't have a good D but they sure are talented. I know they gave up tons of points against Wake last year but they held Bama to 27 last year and look to be better this year.

53-4

Sep 13, 2018, 10:33 PM [ in reply to We shouldn't be in a position to rely on our defense ]

They will do whatever they think is best and what the players are most suited for...

So much gnashing of teeth.. 53-4.. Nobody better but Bama.

That's fine if you're cool losing to Alabama most years.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:22 PM

Some of us are not.

Re: That's fine if you're cool losing to Alabama most years.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:25 PM

Nobody wants to lose to Bama. Our O must play better than it did against them last year to win but it does not have to score 50 ppg to beat them. Have some good drives and score in the redzone, hit some big plays, and have our D play solid is all it takes.

Re: That's fine if you're cool losing to Alabama most years.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:48 PM [ in reply to That's fine if you're cool losing to Alabama most years. ]

Do you realize that the very coordinators you're complaining about are responsible for the two highest point and yardage totals Saban has allowed in National Championship Games? Also were you this pissy after Venables' defense cost is the title in 2015?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I didn't have a problem with how they utilized Watson et al.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:58 PM

I don't like their stubbornness since then with different personnel. Our offense is dramatically less effective since we lost Deshaun, Leggett, etc.

Re: I didn't have a problem with how they utilized Watson et al.

Sep 14, 2018, 8:09 AM

Our offense is less effective since we lost the best player in the 122 year history of the program? Alert the press!

List of teams Chad Morris run offense lost to (4 Seasons): 41-11; 79% Winning Percentage

UGA
WVU
NC State
GT x2
FSU x3
SC x3

List of teams ScElliot run offense lost to (3 Seasons): 43-4; 91% Winning Percentage

Pitt
Syracuse
Alabama x2

Re: I didn't have a problem with how they utilized Watson et al.

Sep 14, 2018, 8:11 AM

Without Watson they are 14-2; 88% winning percentage.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Chad morris ]

Again, same as above! This is a terrible response. So we would rather our defense on the field because they are so good? This is just stupid response! If the offense is good then you want them on the field! If they are good enough to stay on the field then you don't give opportunities to opposing offense to score points. Basically you are making excuses for not scoring.

Are you the 'Answer Police'

Sep 14, 2018, 5:17 AM

Who makes you the judge of what is a good, or inadequate answer. You're being a Richard Cranium.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2022, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Chad morris ]

Actually you are the one that is wrong Big Bass. Fast strike offense puts more pressure on the defense. Most spread type teams have horrible defensive rankings. When Auburn and Oregon were killing it several years back the highest their defenses were ranked were in the 40's. I remember losing to FSU and USC almost every time with Chad as our OC. I get that we could open it up some more, but you also have to consider our personnel. KB is our best chance to win until TL learns enough of the offense. KB's strength isn't slinging it all over the lot.

Finally, I'll pose you this question would you like to go back and replay the Texas A&M game? Do it your way? See if we get an even better result while risking a loss. Or would you like to keep the W and move on to the next game?

Sep 13, 2018, 10:29 PM

You mean the UNC team that lost 70-41 to ECU the week before?? That good UNC team?

Sep 13, 2018, 10:52 PM

We don't score a lot, because the play calling is extremely conservative once we get a lead. We need to open the offense up.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 11:13 PM

We almost scored 35 points on the road against a top 15 team talent wise. An SEC team btw. Lol. I know we kid about the sec but they are impressive in the west and A&M has great talent and a coach now.

Sep 13, 2018, 10:54 PM

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 12:10 AM

That’s a great and fair point. Each passing year we’ve moved farther and farther away from the scheme Morris brought here before he left. That Ohio State Orange Bowl game is still one of the most beautiful offensive football games style wise I’ve ever seen us play. We made the Buckeyes have to defend every blade of grass. I’d love to see the Tajh Boyd era scheme implemented now.

Re: Chad morris ran a gimmick offense.

Sep 14, 2018, 12:46 AM

We suffered when we played a talented team but DW made it bearable. Chad didn't like working for Dabo because Dabo is old school, he loves being conservative. Chad was good for Dabo because he loosed Dabo's attitude toward being conservative a bit. In the end Chad didn't want to change and Dabo was the boss.

Chad sought another job closer to Texas as soon as he got here. It was always a temporary job for Chad and both he and Dabo knew it.

What we're running now is what Dabo wants to run. We haven't run the jet sweep much and really opened the playbook because we're testing QBs skills at option type plays including the RPO. If we're going to win big that's the thing we're going to have to do the best. The read option and RPO will be our bread and butter by the end of the season, imo.

I think that because it's the hardest strategy to defend. DW was pretty good because he made decisions quicker than KB but I believe there's something else going on. Imo, Dabo is working both QBs at the option stuff in order to help KB and he is working TL to get him familiar with the speed of the game at this level and helping him to process the mental aspect at full speed. It also keeps the competition even. He won't call many deep passes because that will give TL a leg up.

He's doing what is best for both QB while testing and training them too. Heck of a man, Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the perfect game...

Sep 14, 2018, 7:11 AM

8 minute TD drive, opponent 3 and out, 8 minute TD drive, opponent 3 and out, 8 minute TD drive, opponent 3 and out - Halftime. Repeat for second half. HUHN is fine for lesser competition, but by its very nature you keep giving the opponent the ball, and consequently, keep wearing your defense down. You want your offense to protect your D, and your D to get the ball back as soon as possible for your offense. There is NOTHING more demoralizing that watching a team grind out score after score as the clock drains out.

Sep 14, 2018, 7:32 AM

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-27193607

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Chad Doesn't know how to slow the game down

Sep 14, 2018, 7:40 AM

There were many times when we had the game in control or the defense needed a rest and he kept running HUNH...He was totally incapable of slowing the game down.

I think that hurt him in is last year as is the case with Cole Stoudt...He tried to conform Cole to his game style and the kid just wasn't capable of running that offense consistently...But when Chad left before we played Oklahoma in the Bowl, they slowed the game down, simplified the play calling and Cole Stoudt had the best game he ever played.

With all of that said, Clemson owes a ton of gratitude for what Chad did for us...We got on board with this offense in the early days before it was common place and have been able build on it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Sep 14, 2018, 9:22 AM

Honesty the reason for the lapses in the offense is the scheme. Dabo has chosen to insert the second and third string players into the game before the team has gotten total control of the game. Just watch the games you will see that whenever that second wave of players enter the game, the offense tappers off and the defense gives up scores. Getting everyone experience during critical times of the game is great but you can do that after you are up by 3 or 4 scores in the first half. I wish he would allow the first team to get the game out of reach then put in the back ups.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic