Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 158
| visibility 1

Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control?

Dec 15, 2018, 9:14 PM

Shooting, shooting, shooting seemingly daily

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control?

Dec 15, 2018, 9:25 PM

Not just Richland Co. What about Florence and Horry counties? This is what happens when anyone can have a gun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2018, 9:31 PM

Cain used a rock.
Lizzie Borden used as axe.
Boston strangler used his hands.
David used a slingshot and a sword.
Hitler used gas.
Oklahoma City bomber used fertilizer.

Don’t blame guns. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, they need to take away all cars.***

Dec 15, 2018, 9:32 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2018, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Guns just make it way easier. That's why our soldiers and police carry them. That's why so many people are robbed at gunpoint.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:39 PM

I was robbed at knifepoint. Your point being?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2018, 9:48 PM

That guns are the weapon of choice. Guns are used in most homicides. I don't mind guns, but guns are generally the weapon of choice to kill because it is so easy. I would prefer to have a gun than a knife if I had to kill someone to protect myself.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:03 PM

That’s exactly why I have my cc and always have my .380 close

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 17, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Actually, knives and hammers are used more than guns in homicides.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:45 AM

I looked up the stats. Over 60% of all homicides involve guns.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195325/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-weapon-used/

Dec 15, 2018, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

I think 100% of people would rather be robbed at knife point as opposed to being robbed at gun point.

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 15, 2018, 11:35 PM

Class of 09 must have Stockholm Syndrome... I rarely get on Tnet but when I do you’re always present. All in fun..but don’t “u people have homes”

Dec 16, 2018, 5:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

I think 100% of people would rather be robbed at knife point as opposed to being robbed at gun point.

As usual you are a tic off as I would rather be shot than hacked up with a knife

Dec 16, 2018, 8:35 AM

Guess I didn’t account for gun owners who aren’t capable of defending themselves in any sort of hand to hand combat. So they wouldn’t rather just die than give themselves a chance at survival.

Dec 16, 2018, 8:44 PM

Guess I didn’t account for gun owners who aren’t capable of defending themselves in any sort of hand to hand combat. So they wouldn’t rather just die than give themselves a chance at survival.

so I’ve been taking a self defense class In kali for 10 mos now & still wouldn’t trust my skills to try to go hand to hand with any perp holding a weapon of any sort. On the other hand a 3 hr CWP course and some range time with my Sig 9mm and I think I can win most of those “50/50 balls” you and I might encounter out on the street.

And you’d be d@mned glad I was there

We don’t all have the time or the money to become black belts in muy thai, wing chun or jeet kun do

Dec 16, 2018, 9:15 PM

Way to avoid the question.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:34 PM

You didn’t ask one.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

You're an idiot.

Whats the best way to defend yourself from someone with a knife? Distance. Not "hand to hand combat skills". No one ends up good after a knife fight. It doesnt happen. Do you know what the difference between the winner of a knife fight and the loser of a knife fight? The loser dies at the scene of the fight, the winner dies bleeding out on the way to the hospital.

I dont WANT to have to defend myself in "hand to hand", because being within arms length of an attacker guarantees I will be within range of whatever weapon he has in his hands.

That is why I carry a gun, to ensure I can put distance between myself and the attacker and maintain that distance.

do.you realize how few people.have training in defensive

Dec 17, 2018, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Knife fighting?

Bleeding to death on the way to the hospital seems like a great way to go

Re: do.you realize how few people.have training in defensive

Dec 22, 2018, 10:33 PM

So you would rather just die of a gunshot wound quicker ?

That doesn’t prove anything

Dec 16, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

100% of people would rather not be robbed at all.

Also 100% of people would rather be robbed at gun point than at cannon point.

AND 100% of people would rather be robbed at cannon point than at bomb point.

Etc etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That doesn’t prove anything

Dec 16, 2018, 10:44 AM

You're so close to getting it, but so far away at the same time.

Take some time and rethink that. There is a reason cannons and bombs are illegal. Just give it a little more thought.

It is just as illegal to rob with a gun as it is with a bomb***

Dec 16, 2018, 11:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is just as illegal to rob with a gun as it is with a bomb***

Dec 16, 2018, 11:10 AM

Where do we buy bombs legally?

I really think all this P&R stuff is pointless on this board

Dec 16, 2018, 11:15 AM

Re: I really think all this P&R stuff is pointless on this board

Dec 16, 2018, 11:21 AM

I agree. Nobody does a 180. It's all in good fun. ANyway, most of the illegal guns in Chicago come from out of state where gun laws are slack though. Kind of like trying stop cocaine in the US when it comes right across the border where they are slack. I am pro gun by the way. I just support strict laws everywhere in the country. We're to slack as a whole. People should have to be more accountable for their guns.

But you just answered your own argument

Dec 16, 2018, 11:35 AM

I have no problem with background checks

Dec 16, 2018, 11:38 AM

similar to a concealed carry permit to own a gun

Re: But you just answered your own argument

Dec 16, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to But you just answered your own argument ]

If guns are as easy to get as cocaine why are we the only industrialized country in the world with this gun problem?

Last time I checked

Dec 16, 2018, 12:01 PM

Re: Last time I checked

Dec 16, 2018, 12:08 PM

So more guns are the solution? There will always be violence and attacks. That said, you think if the streets of Europe were flooded with guns like the US that they would have less violence? Maybe, but I doubt that would help. On a different note, some countries like Hungary have strict gun laws and there is very little gun violence. They are strict on Muslim immigrants though, unlike how France was.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:17 AM

Might be a good idea to read up some on crime statistics that show that gun violence is down .... even in schools. That's odd, because you clearly questioned whether more guns are the solution. It must be since there are way more guns now and less violence.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Last time I checked ]

And with all of the things you just listed, our gun violence rates dwarf those of the countries you listed.

Let that sink in, but you won't because you prefer to live in ignorance.

Coot you are the epitome of ignorance

Dec 16, 2018, 12:19 PM

yea and the UK had an outrageous rate of knife crime

Dec 17, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Last time I checked ]

Now they have knife control and people are getting acid thrown in their faces now.

Dec 16, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Last time I checked ]

The point isn't that shooting don't happen everywhere. It's that the number of mass shooting in America is several times more than all the other industrialized nations combined.

I don't want to outlaw guns or anything, but something has to be done. I honestly don't know what the solution is though.

Dec 17, 2018, 4:14 PM

From 2014 to 2017, France had more mass shootings than the U.S.

Also, the one study that publishes the "there have been 300+ mass shootings in the US in 2018" is absolutely bogus and has been debunked many times.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: But you just answered your own argument ]

What?

The U.S. is 28th in the world in gun violence.

From 2014-2017, FRANCE had more mass shootings than the U.S.

There not enough intelligent coots

Dec 17, 2018, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: But you just answered your own argument ]

On your board? You should change your profile pics. I have gag refleces

Dec 16, 2018, 11:55 AM [ in reply to But you just answered your own argument ]

Cocaine laws actually do slow the flow of cocaine around the USA. They don't stop it. They slow it without question. That said, if there no cocaine produced south of the border there would be no cocaine in the US. Anyway, I agree with you about stricter background checks and mental health checks though. I think people have gotten so paranoid about their guns being taken away, which will never happen, that some oppose common sense laws.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:06 AM

There is no such thing as a "common sense gun law".

Also, its not paranoia that drives gun owners to oppose gun laws, its education and principle. As people become more and more educated about the history of the 2nd Amendment, current gun laws and gun control, lack of freedom in other countries, and situations of people who could still be alive today had they had a gun; people realize that not only are gun control laws pointless, but gun control laws actually end up with more vulnerable people and MORE deaths.

The population is increasingly skeptical and has less trust in our own government. Rightly so if you see the corruption occurring in front of our eyes. Not to mention, government's have killed nearly 400 million people in the last 100 years alone.

Plus, in a simpler matter, people dont want to be disarmed and defenseless against criminals.

Its pretty easy.

true***

Dec 22, 2018, 7:52 AM

They are easy to make. Why does it matter if it is bought

Dec 16, 2018, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: It is just as illegal to rob with a gun as it is with a bomb*** ]

legally. This might be a shock to you, but murder is illegal with a gun, knife or bomb. Making a bomb or knife illegal does not change the nature of a murderer.

Re: They are easy to make. Why does it matter if it is bought

Dec 16, 2018, 11:22 AM

It matters when they are mass produced actually. It just makes it more common and easier to get. As far as knives go, that is just a weak argument. There are certain weapons that have a greater ability to kill.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:07 AM

Then why do knives kill significantly more people?

Dec 16, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to They are easy to make. Why does it matter if it is bought ]

Would this have happened with knives? I am pro gun, but I just think it odd when a knife is compared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_1IvZFwj0M

yes hopfully they will make bank robbery illegal

Dec 16, 2018, 11:40 AM

if guns were illegal those bank robbers would never have robbed anyone because illegal

Re: yes hopfully they will make bank robbery illegal

Dec 16, 2018, 11:44 AM

They woudn't have got very far. They would have been dead if they had knives and no officers would have been injured. I think you're being intentionally obtuse. Nobody is taking your guns. You're in a safe place. I am just knocking your irrational comparisons.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:11 AM

Here is something thats irrational:

On average, there are around 32,000 deaths from guns every year. Approximately 21,000 of those are suicides.

The remaining 11,000 of so are true cases of violent gun crime. In which, about 10,000+ are committed with stolen handguns in inner city areas related to gang crime or drug crime.

Less than 50 people per year are killed by someone with an "assault weapon" (whatever that is).

In totality, only .000032% of the U.S. population is victimized by OVERALL gun crime.

Now, you want to talk about "irrational"... irrational is passing strict gun bans, magazine bans, background check laws, accessory laws, etc. based on the fact that .000032% of the population is affected by gun crime, and the fact that gun crime is one of the most uncommon forms of crime in this country.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:53 AM

Gun crime isn't uncommon at all in certain areas. There is no reason to be against strict gun control. There is no upside not to be. The assault weapon wasn't the point of the story. It was more to the point of people comparing a knife to a gun.

Dec 17, 2018, 3:07 PM

Gun crime is very, very rare in the greater US.

Now, when you dig into gun crime you will find that certain POINTS on the map are very dense in terms of gun crime. Gun crime is isolated to very small areas, areas that can be measured in square city blocks, not square miles. Its these pinpoint areas where gun crime is most extensive.

But, for 99% of the US landmass, and also 99% of the areas where majority populations exist, gun crime is rare. Unsurprisingly, its even rarer in the areas with the least gun control laws. Mainly because lots of good people are armed, and everyone knows. Thus, it is a deterrent to violent crime.

There are many, many reasons to be opposed to any gun control. The first, and only argument should be that the 2nd Amendment clearly says "the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed". The second that comes to mind is the Holocaust. The 3rd is what is happening in Venezuela right now.

With all of the problems we hear people complain about in our society, and our government, why in the HELL would you want to be disarmed?

Also, there is no such thing as an "assault weapon". First, the term is redundant, a weapon is a tool used to assault things. You can be an aggressor and engage in assault, or a defender and engage in assault. That's like calling a car a "driving car". Driving is what a car does, therefore that title is redundant. Likewise, "weapon" is vague. Any tool used to assault someone or thing is an assault weapon. Used in your context, "assault weapon" is incorrect. A knife is an assault weapon, as is a billy club, or taser.

Now, there IS a thing called an "assault rifle". This is a legally defined term. An assault rifle is a select fire rifle, capable of changing its rate of fire between semi-automatic and fully automatic. As of right now, it is illegal to own an assault rifle without paying $200 to the ATF and submitting to a 6 month background check process. Assuming you pass this background check, then you can go purchase a fully automatic machine gun. A fully automatic M-16 generally costs around $25,000 as a starting price. Something rarer, like an STG44 or M243, will cost upwards of $50,000.

I know you want "assault weapon" to mean "AR-15", but that is not nor never will be the case. The AR-15 is a common hunting rifle. It was invented by Eugene Stoner at Armalite in the early 1950's as a ranch rifle designed to hunt small game. It wasn't until the 1960's that General Willard Wyman shot an AR15 at a national shooting match. He loved it and ordered the military adopt a fully automatic version. The military didnt want it, because the bullet the AR-15 fires (a .22 caliber varmint round optimized for killing groundhogs, called the .223) was considered "too weak" for the modern battle field (and has subsequently proven to be a terrible cartridge at killing people). The military wanted something chambered in the more powerful .308 Winchester deer hunting cartridge, but General Wyman pulled a few strings and then, the M-16 was born.

To date, not one single military has ever used the AR-15. The AR-15 likewise has never been used in any military engagement or deployment, ever. It was born as a civilian hunting rifle due to demand at Western ranches in Texas and Oklahoma. Farmers needed a rifle that could kill small game and varmints like coyotes, that could be fired quickly and accurately with low recoil. Thus, ArmaLite made the AR15.

hummm, they dont want to disarm the robber

Dec 22, 2018, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: yes hopfully they will make bank robbery illegal ]

they want to disarm you

Re: It is just as illegal to rob with a gun as it is with a bomb***

Dec 16, 2018, 11:35 AM [ in reply to It is just as illegal to rob with a gun as it is with a bomb*** ]

How many people get robbed a year with a bomb?

Are you being intentionally obtuse or is this genuinely unintentional?

The funny part is guns wouldn't be legal in this

Dec 17, 2018, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: That doesn’t prove anything ]

country if not for guns to found this country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: That doesn’t prove anything ]

Neither cannons nor bombs are illegal, by the way.

If you can afford it, you can go buy a fully operation howitzer if you want. They are not illegal, just expensive.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: That doesn’t prove anything ]

Take some time and rethink that. There is a reason cannons and bombs are illegal. Just give it a little more thought.

I think 100% of people would rather NOT be robbed!!***

Dec 16, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Dec 17, 2018, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

If you only have a knife and plan to rob me, then you had better be faster than me. A gun would make a difference. I guess that's a point to consider.

Dec 15, 2018, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Just a guess : you’re an old white guy?

Dec 16, 2018, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

How did Hitler get the people to the camps where gas was used?

Dec 16, 2018, 10:00 AM

Guns.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Specifically?

He passed strict gun control laws and banned civilian ownership of firearms for "public safety".

THEN he got his soldiers to use their guns to send the newly disarmed jews to concentration camps.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:55 AM

That has nothing to do with how or why it was easy to round up Jewish people. You'll believe anything.

Dec 17, 2018, 2:04 PM

Carlsbad® said:

That has nothing to do with how or why it was easy to round up Jewish people. You'll believe anything.

It wasn’t so easy to round up and exile the Jews that DID acquire guns and fight back, as in the Warsaw ghetto for instance. You can even read about that if you’d like to

If we could ban guns, all gun violence would go away.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

/s

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs"

Dec 15, 2018, 11:23 PM

and the "war on poverty"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs"

Dec 15, 2018, 11:30 PM

Every other industrialized country shows the war on guns is much more effective than the war on drugs.

Dec 16, 2018, 11:15 AM

That final chapter isn't written yet! Hitler took away all the civilian guns and look how that ended.

Dec 16, 2018, 11:32 AM

Fake News actually. That's not what happened.

Dec 16, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

I always laugh at this argument.

What do you think you're going to do with your guns against a squad of infantry soldiers? The 2nd amendment certainly doesn't protect you from the government.

Dec 16, 2018, 12:29 PM

Well, I guess then we could revert to that extensive supply of legal bombs you speak of.

Dec 16, 2018, 2:39 PM

What are you talking about?

Re: maybe a

Dec 16, 2018, 6:48 PM

I’m talking about your pathetic rationale for gun control. Are you still confused? I have crayons if that helps...

Message was edited by: BloodbeOrange

Dec 16, 2018, 9:17 PM

Yeah I’m still confused when I argued bombs are legal.

It’s as nonsensical as your position on gun control.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:00 PM

Hmm, I don’t recall arguing my position on gun control. I said yours was a pathetic rationalization. Give your opinion a go when you have had some real life experience, not just what you listened to on whatever liberal media forum that makes you feel the warmest inside..... Coot.

The reality of murder rate in the USA

Dec 16, 2018, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

[lmg][/img]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

What do you think you're going to do with your guns against a squad of infantry soldiers? The 2nd amendment certainly doesn't protect you from the government.

Instead of being consistently contrarian why don’t you try thinking things through for a change? For example, if the government passes a law requiring even law abiding citizens to forfeit their firearms it’s not going to be just me and my guns against an infantry squad now is it?

As for the Second Amendment not protecting me from the government, well that’s exactly what it was designed to do. In fact that’s what every article in the Bill of Rights is supposed to do: protect us individual citizens from the government. And it’s the Second Amendment that preserves the integrity of all the others

Dec 16, 2018, 9:49 PM

"For example, if the government passes a law requiring even law abiding citizens to forfeit their firearms it’s not going to be just me and my guns against an infantry squad now is it?"

Yeah because you won't have your guns, you'll turn them in like you're ordered to do. It's easy to be a tough guy on the internet. Not so easy when you’re actually at risk.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:12 PM

Sounds just like what a coward would reply. At least you’re consistent....

Dec 16, 2018, 10:16 PM

Welcome back stanley.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:47 PM

Is Stanley the name of the dude you met online who agreed to go to the Bell Bowl with you?

Dec 16, 2018, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

Is Stanley the name of the dude you met online who agreed to go to the Bell Bowl with you?

I'd never call myself brave, but some things

Dec 17, 2018, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe a ]

will not be compromised. There's hardly a more honorable death than to die fighting to preserve liberty.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a ]

Is that why no one has complied with any of the California gun laws ordering people to turn in their AR15's and 30 round magazines?

09, go back and read the Second Amendment, slowly.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

The text of the Second Amendment reads in full:

“A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

"being necessary to the security of a free State" means being armed to resist anarchy.

Also, wanna know why Japan and Germany never considered invading the USA in early stages of WW@? They would have faced an army of 160 million armed citizens.

Lastly, I have never seen a gun kill anyone. It will just lie there until someone who knows how to operate it picks it up. It is always the person, not the instrument that kills.

Oh, and go into your kitchen and just look in the drawers and cabinets for things that could be used as lethal weapons. It will boggle your mind in what you find.

Re: 09, go back and read the Second Amendment, slowly.

Dec 17, 2018, 7:39 AM

The second amendment was written 219 years ago. At the time it was written it didn't apply to people of color. Times change and the constitution should be updated to reflect what is right.

The Second Amendment does not have any

Dec 21, 2018, 11:07 PM

reference to race.

TYVM.

Re: 09, go back and read the Second Amendment, slowly.

Dec 22, 2018, 6:05 AM [ in reply to Re: 09, go back and read the Second Amendment, slowly. ]

And there have been 219 years for Congress to change the 2nd Amendment and they have chosen not to do it.

How little regard you must have for the US military

Dec 17, 2018, 7:18 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

to think they would just willfully follow an illegal order to fight American citizens at the behest of the government.

And yes, the 2nd Amendment most certainly does exist to act as a guard against tyranny.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How little regard you must have for the US military

Dec 17, 2018, 7:43 AM

Maybe it's different in the Air Force but I got too many joes that are dependent on that paycheck to act nobly.

Some of us actually believe in the oath we took

Dec 17, 2018, 11:35 AM

and take it seriously. The oath is to defend The Constitution. There's not even a decision to be made.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

The AR-15 is the semi-auto version of the M-4/M-16. A group of gun owners against a group of infantrymen would be pretty evenly matched.

Also, understand the fact that the average gun owner participates in more training, annually, than police officers, and that armed citizens are about 10% more effective at stopping criminals engaging in armed violence than police.

Also consider, that many of the armed citizens in this country are former military.

From a defensive position, a group of civilian gun owners would be just fine.

Hell, our own history proves that.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:04 AM

Imagine typing that and not seeing the problem with our gun laws?

You're right, it makes the problem obvious...

Dec 17, 2018, 11:36 AM

we restrict legal gun owners' right to carry in far too many situations.

Re: You're right, it makes the problem obvious...

Dec 17, 2018, 11:56 AM

Why do so many of them get their guns stolen?

Dec 17, 2018, 12:29 PM

Why do so many legal gun owners commit crimes?

Dec 17, 2018, 3:13 PM

lol what? Legal gun owners are among the least likely people to commit crimes. To take it further, individuals who possess Concealed Weapons Permits are the single most law abiding demographic of people in the country.

Source: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2814691

Also, look at this:

https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Concealed-Carry-Permit-Holders-Across-the-United-States.pdf

Oh, and dont forget this pesky fact for you, taken from the same study:

"Murder rates have fallen as the Percentage of the adult population with Permitted Concealed Handguns has increased".

https://imgur.com/a/BCoMov8

Its almost like criminals are afraid they might get shot by their victims! Who would've thought that!

Dec 17, 2018, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: You're right, it makes the problem obvious... ]

Let’s say you and your family are out minding your own business, a guy pulls a gun, what are you going to do? Argue to him that it’s unlawful to carry a gun and show him stats on crime rates? Throw an iPhone at him? Call the police in which 15-20 minutes later they may show up? Or are you going to try to match actions to fight for the lives of your family?
This is the exact reason we do not need liberal dumbacrats in the office.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:38 PM

If our gun laws weren’t so backward, someone pulling a gun on me wouldn’t be a realistic threat.

Sadly it’s only a real issue in America.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

Why would that make me have any issue with our gun laws?

Gun crime and gun homicide is so rare in this country that no one should have any issue with this type of gun ownership. In the places where there IS gun violence, we see a lot of factors. First, are massive, Democrat-dominated cities that have extensive social welfare programs which create huge taxes, high costs of business and high costs of living, and feature the highest poverty rates in the country. Second to that, are the strictest gun laws in the country in these same locations. It's a breeding ground for violent crime, where people are too poor to work, thus resort to criminal activity to get by, with a vary large and dense population that has no access to legal firearms with which to defend themselves. THAT is is the only reason gun crime persists, and why gun crime is isolated to very very small pockets of the country: almost all gun crime happens in impoverished inner city area's with the most Liberal social welfare laws, highest taxes, and strictest gun control laws. Poor people, few to no employment opportunities, with a large swath of unarmed people who are sitting ducks to criminals.

Also consider, people LOVE to say Trump is the next Hitler, there's the #MeToo Movement, and there is a massive public outcry against the perceived notion that there is rampant police brutality.

If those 3 things are true, why in the heck would you want to restrict people's right to own guns?

Furthermore, the right to own a gun is a human right, as logic follows.
Please familiarize yourself with "Natural Law", made popular by Adam Smith. The idea of Natural Law is the core fundamental ideology behind American Liberty and the Constitution. Natural Law promotes the idea of Natural Rights, rights that our naturally ours simply because we exist. These are rights given to us by nature, or God if you believe that. These are Human Rights which no man or government has the natural authority to regulate or take from you.

We exist, we are alive. We have each have our own life, or "individual existence". As such, we have every right to PROTECT our existence. People who would leverage power and violence against us threaten our existence, thus it becomes necessary for us to have the capability to defend our existence.

By that logic, you cannot defend yourself from someone who is better armed than you. As such, you should have the option to access whatever tools necessary that guarantee your right to self preservation (self defense).

If you do not have the ability to defend your own life, then you are at the mercy of those who are capable and well enough armed to take your life.

Logic then dictates, that you should have the right to access and own the same type of firepower as those who would seek to take your rights from you. Otherwise, you have no way to defend your rights. If you cannot defend your rights, then they can be taken from you at a whim and are therefore not "rights" at all.

This can be summarized as "People who are well armed do not allow themselves to become slaves, or allow themselves to be confined in concentration camps."

The 2nd Amendment protects the absolute right to bear arms. The full intent of the 2nd Amendment is to guarantee the right of people to sufficient arms to repel our own government. That is the entire point of the 2nd Amendment. You cant do that with .22 plinkers and single shot shotguns or hunting rifles. Then again, the 2nd Amendment isnt about hunting. The founding fathers specifically mandated than the 2nd Amendment protect the right of the people to have access to the same level of conventional firepower our government has access to.

I expect you to say something stupid along the lines of "Hurr Durr wElL WhY CaNt wE oWn nUkeS tHeN?"
The "Nuclear Weapon" rebuttal is monumentally ignorant. First, a nuke is something of unimaginable destructive power, an AR-15 is not much different than a musket (the AR-15 is actually less lethal and destructive than a musket). A nuclear weapon also cannot be used for self defense, or oppression. It is only used for total annihilation. A citizen cannot defend himself from his government with a nuke, because the citizen would then destroy himself, his family, and the land he is trying to preserve for himself. Inversely, a government cannot and would not use nukes against its own population. If the government does not have a population and land to control, then it has no purpose and would destroy itself. The purpose of government is to hold power over a population of people and their land, if the government uses a nuke, it would destroy the very thing it needs to preserve in order to remain in power.

That's the other aspect about the 2nd amendment: it gives the people unlimited leverage, where the government only has limited leverage. In a civil war of the American People vs The U.S. Government, the people would have nothing to lose, while the government has EVERYTHING to lose. Think about it. In that war, the people's goal would be to eradicate the government at all costs, while the government's goal would be to regain control of the people. In order to maintain its power, the government could not afford to wipe everyone out, and would thus need to either take the preventative measure of disarming the population, or compromising if unable to do so.

Remember, the 2nd Amendment was also written at a time where wealthy citizens owned schooner ships with 20+ cannons on them. Private ships, which had enough firepower to destroy Charleston. America's first Navy was made up of more private warships than government owned ones. Merchants had their own private commercial fleets to engage in trade, and those private merchant vessels were heavily outfitted with cannons and other armaments. The intent was to repel pirates and British blockade vessels (other government warships), but that doesnt change the fact that a merchant fleet could've easily wiped New York City off the map if it wanted to.

Dec 17, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

I’m pro gun, but for future reference an AR-15 can be automatic or semi automatic depending the mechanism. The safety switch on AR lowers are replaced with a automatic/semi automatic selector switch.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:44 AM

The difference in full vs. semi is the fire control group. There is a full auto hammer, trigger and disconnector along with the sear mechanism that make the rifle an automatic. These components are not legal to own outside of the Military or Law Enforcement.

Dec 17, 2018, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

Umm.... based on that logic, explain to me how a bunch of untrained goat farmers etc have been able to give us such fits in the Middle East with Cold War era weaponry.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

That's why pretty much every country, including Europe, which has chosen to ban guns has seen nothing but massive increases in violent crime since doing so, right?

Dec 17, 2018, 11:57 AM

More fake news.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:27 PM

Interesting you say that, because a Harvard study determined, using Australia, the UK, and other places with strict gun control as case studies, that banning and reducing gun ownership actually does NOT reduce violent crime or suicide. As a matter of fact, this Harvard study determined that banning civilian ownership of firearms actually increased violent crime significantly.

In fact, when the UK banned guns in 1997, they saw violent crime increase by an average of 40% per year from 1997 to 2007. That rate has steadied now. I am happy to say that violent crime in the UK is only rising from 18-27% per year since 2007. No, violent crime rate hasnt gone down at all, but, at least they don't have any guns to worry about!

Meanwile, as more and more states in the US pass gun friendly laws and de-regulate their gun laws, U.S. gun ownership is now at an all time high, and U.S. violent crime is at an all time low.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228234512_Would_Banning_Firearms_Reduce_Murder_and_Suicide_A_Review_of_International_Evidence

Dec 17, 2018, 12:30 PM

Sweet source. You will believe anything.

Dec 17, 2018, 2:27 PM

That is literally an academic, peer reviewed database. Clemson, and pretty much every other research university, uses that database because it is accredited. The study attached is a Harvard study. If you still claim that these peer reviewed, accredited facts are "fake news" then you are a monumental idiot and there is no more discussion to be had with you.

Jesus christ dude, you wont even accept factual evidence when its posted in front of your own face.

That sums up the gun rights argument PERFECTLY. The side that supports guns repeatedly and thoroughly presents evidence that gun rights and ownership should be preserved and protected, and that gun ownership consistently makes cities safer while debunking every single myth regarding gun ownership, to the point of presenting scientific, peer reviewed studies to support their case.

And yet, the other side continues to push a narrative based purely on lies and emotion, while denouncing the hard evidence as "fake".

Dec 17, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe a "war on guns" would be as effective as the "war on drugs" ]

Carlsbad® said:

More fake news.

maybe you could cite some relevant (and reliable) statistics, sorta like your antagonists have been doing, instead of responding with cliche’ & invective. Please, share your knowledge with us

No... this is what happens when people

Dec 15, 2018, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

live like animals, with no moral compass, no values, no esteem for life, no concern for anything but their own physical gratification. It’s not a weapons problem... and you idiots aren’t going to take away my right to protect myself and my family from the animals.

Message was edited by: Flying Tiger®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No... this is what happens when people

Dec 15, 2018, 9:55 PM

I think the fear of losing your right to own a gun is not needed. There close to 300 million guns in this country for one thing.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

If you ban guns the good guys would be the only ones obeying the law, the bad guys would still have theirs and doing the same as they are now. My gun has never killed anyone, but it's loaded and ready

If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy

Dec 16, 2018, 5:56 AM

because nobody is coming to take them from me

Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy

Dec 16, 2018, 9:09 AM

I will give them all my bullets but not one of my guns.

Dec 16, 2018, 11:05 AM [ in reply to If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

Agreed. I’ve made it almost 4 decades without being a criminal. Hope to not become one because of a silly gun ban.

Dec 16, 2018, 11:35 AM [ in reply to If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

Well that will never happen, so you have nothing to worry about. That's just a fear tactic. You think the gov would ever try to round up 300 million guns? That would be dangerous/deadly as well as political suicide.

Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy***

Dec 16, 2018, 8:48 PM

Dec 16, 2018, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

Carlsbad® said:

Well that will never happen, so you have nothing to worry about. That's just a fear tactic. You think the gov would ever try to round up 300 million guns? That would be dangerous/deadly as well as political suicide.

well it happened in Australia just a few years ago. And before that Germany, Russia, China, N Korea...I think you get my point

Dec 17, 2018, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

Its more like 600 million, actually.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:58 AM

You're guessing but that stats are generally considered to be around 300 million. Good effort though. You try.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:53 PM

Wrong. There are over 100 million gun owners in the U.S. in 2018, The average gun owner owns 8.1 firearms. Compare that to 2005 when the average gun owner owned 4.4 guns. Do the math there buddy.

Likewise, please look into the NICS transaction data. "NICS" is the "National Instant Criminal Background Check System" (pronounced "Nicks"). It is the background check system used to conduct background checks on every gun sale. Every NICS background check conducts a check on 1 person. 1 Person can purchase 5 guns with 1 NICS background check. Theey fill out a form 4473 with their information, and can buy 5 guns with that form. The form is then run through the NICS background check. For example, if I walk into a gun store and buy 5 guns at once, I do 1 background check. If I buy 6 guns at once, I do 2 background checks. Make sense? Okay.

So for every NICS background check, a person can buy 5 guns. Remember, NICS checks ONLY apply to guns bought at gun stores or gun shows.

NICS has been around since the early 1990's. Here is data that shows every NICS transaction since 1998:
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

Since 1998, Americans have conducted 302,090,931 NICS background checks. Since 1998, there have only been 1,446,025 DENIALS.

That means approximately 300,644,906 NICS transactions were approved, meaning people who were approved bought guns. That means since 1998, Americans have purchased AT LEAST 300,644,906 guns since 1998 based on NICS data. Thats assuming 1 gun per NICS transaction, which is an underestimate.

Remember how I said the 1 "Approved" background check allows a person to buy up to 5 guns? That 300+ million Approved NICS checks doesnt account for multiple firearms per background check. Unfortunately, the NICS system cant track how many guns are being bought per transaction, that data is kept on the form 4473 customers have to fill out prior to submitting to the NICS check. Every form 4473 stays at the gun store the NICS check was conducted, so the ATF and FBI dont know how many guns per approved NICS check there really are.

I can tell you, that I worked at a large gun store, and our store average was 3 guns per NICS check. Some customers would buy 1 gun, some would buy 5. Our store average was 3.

Lets be modest here and say the average NICS check has 1.5 guns per transaction.

That's still 450,967,359 guns purchased since 1998 ALONE.

So no, the "around 300 million" estimate is waaaaaaayyy off the mark. We dont know how many guns U.S. Citizens own, but the NICS data alone debunks the idea that idea.

Even if there were only 1 gun per NICS check, that means there were at least 300+ million guns purchased since 1998. And we know there were a LOT of guns already in the hands of American citizens long before 1998.

Extrapolating manufacturing rates, import rates, and NICS check data, we can reasonably estimate that Americans something in the ballpark of 600 million firearms.

Dec 17, 2018, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

Hey Carlsbad® , you gunna read this data from the FBI/NICS or are you just gunna cover your eyes and ears while screaming "FAKE NEWS!!" ?

Dec 17, 2018, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

It will eventually happen.

At some point people will get tired of watching children needlessly executed in classrooms.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:17 AM

You think people enjoy that or something? Are you retarded?

Maybe if we protected our schools a little better, it wouldnt be an issue.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: If they ban all guns, I guess I will become a bad guy ]

PARENT better, whine and blame what protects you less.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

That's what happens when criminals have guns. My guns have never shot anyone.

Dec 15, 2018, 11:58 PM

I had a few guns one time but lost them in a tragic boating accident

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 11:18 AM

Yep! I hate when that happens.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

This is what happens when you take "Thou shalt not kill." Off the walls of our schools.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Are u ignorant enough to believe these guns were obtained by legal means. Meaning a background check was performed before they purchased the guns. If u banned legal gun ownership, then these thugs would be the only ones with the guns.

Problem is the folks committing these crimes most have a common denominator. Not all, but most. And it doesn't help that very few are raised with any decent upbringing.

Put it this way, I wouldn't live in Richland county if you gave me a house. However if I did, I'd be armed enough to fight a small war

Dec 16, 2018, 1:36 AM

You just need to live in the right part of Richland County where public schools are actually pretty dang good. In other words...about as close to Clemson as you can get and away from Cootville.

Dec 16, 2018, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Yea just ban them like they did in Venezuela back in 2014. That has worked out so well.....

Kids playing violent video games all day is also playing....

Dec 16, 2018, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

a part. Don't blame the guns, although I don't see a reason for anyone outside law enforcement or military to have an assault weapon. The cutting edge to that is also that it they exist, the bad guys will still have them.

Re: Kids playing violent video games all day is also playing....

Dec 16, 2018, 10:02 AM

They play those same games in Japan without the issues. I am not sure why we do.

I’ve thought this as well, but other countries in Asia

Dec 16, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Kids playing violent video games all day is also playing.... ]

don’t have this problem and their kids are far more addicted to gaming than u.s.

I still think gaming complicates US problem, but only because guns are so readily available to our youth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Asian families also tend to have better discipline, work

Dec 16, 2018, 12:37 PM

Re: Kids playing violent video games all day is also playing....

Dec 17, 2018, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Kids playing violent video games all day is also playing.... ]

Before violent video games, we had incredibly violent books. Violent media has not nor never will be exclusive to video games. We have been consuming it for centuries and it has had not ill effect.

Guns and video games are inanimate objects. It is the person's decisions that matter.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

Criminals and wannabes will always have guns. Regardless of gun control laws.
At least allow us to protect ourselves from them.

Dec 16, 2018, 11:01 AM

So should we just scrap all gun laws since none do anything? Should we just sell in the aisles in 7-11 or Publix to anyone who has the cash?

Dec 17, 2018, 8:50 AM

Yes.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:00 PM

You seem really smart. WHat's it like to be you?

Dec 17, 2018, 2:31 PM

You mock my intelligence, and yet I am the one providing hard data from the FBI, ATF, and a peer reviewed Harvard study on gun violence that supports my claims.

Meanwhile, you make asinine jokes and appeals to emotion based on incorrect information.

It's pretty clear I am not the one who is mentally challenged here.

?? yeah, that’s the problem. Guns have been around for a long

Dec 16, 2018, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

time. Why so bad now? Maybe it’s what influences or invites people to violence and not the weapon that is the problem. Genius.

Dec 17, 2018, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

I have 36 hand guns none have killed anyone. Remember this guns don't kill

Dec 22, 2018, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Richland county violent crime spiraling out of control? ]

This is one of the dumbest things you couldve posted.

Literally every single gun violence stat in regards to firearm access says otherwise. The states wuth the highest rates of gun ownership have the lowest crime rates.

Coots fan?***

Dec 15, 2018, 9:26 PM

I Never leave home without my nunchucks

Dec 16, 2018, 9:04 AM

I'm like Bruce Lee out on the streer. Cutting black flips, barrel rolls, and whatnot.

Illegal drugs

Dec 16, 2018, 9:12 AM

If you use illegal drugs, you are supporting to Morons that cause the violence

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drugs that are illegal in SC are legal in other parts of the

Dec 17, 2018, 11:39 AM

US. I highly doubt my Colorado cannabis is funding violent criminals.

Most gun crime is related to drugs ... outlaw drugs and

Dec 16, 2018, 9:17 AM

oh yeah ... nevermind.

We’ve focused way too much effort on the supply of drugs

Dec 16, 2018, 12:36 PM

rather than demand. Demand is where our dollars should be placed. Tax payers have a hard time giving to people they feel don’t deserve it. But we would all be better off in long run if we did.

Dec 16, 2018, 9:43 AM

this is why we need to arm school teachers and postal workers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 12:49 PM

Perhaps we should teach children to use a gun in elementary school and issue them all a gun before they go to middle school. Let's just see what happens if we give everyone a gun. Isn't that supposed to be the solution?

Dec 17, 2018, 8:54 AM

Uzicorn for all!

Dec 16, 2018, 3:37 PM

It will get better for a few weeks now that the colts are out for Christmas break.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:28 AM

60% of Americans think that violent crimes are on the rise when in truth from 1990 until now they are significantly down. Some people watch way too much TV, especially those stations that sensationalize tragedies and try and slant the real news.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:24 AM

If I posted the real reason it’s out of control I just might get banned. But if you think real hard you will figure it out .

Dec 17, 2018, 3:28 PM

In the last 3 days, 2 convenience store WORKERS in Greenville and Easley have been gunned down by a bunch of Freelance Socialists... " I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye...And shoot him with my 'ol .45"///

Replies: 158
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic