Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach

Jan 17, 2018, 7:41 PM

who was trapped in a really bad coach's body.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach

Jan 17, 2018, 7:43 PM

Hatfield was the worst coach Clemson ever had. Period

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 7:47 PM

I think I speak for myself when I say Tommy West was turrblest .
Likeable guy , decent man and all ...bad recruiter and game manager.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

true about West

Jan 17, 2018, 7:51 PM

but there was no shortage of cheap Mexican brick on campus once he got his players.

Jan 17, 2018, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

TD I could tell you some things about TW that would make your skin crawl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

I think West could relate to the players and fans better than Hatfield. He was young and was given more than he could handle

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Only time I wanted to leave a home game early

Jan 17, 2018, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

was when one of TW's teams completed 3 straight passes and all of them resulted in losses and we had to punt on something like 4th and 25. Well, actually it was the rest of the play calling too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

Howard built it, Ford Filled it, Hatfield killed it!! That is all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure Clemson fans would have liked anyone who followed Ford

Jan 17, 2018, 8:21 PM

I remember Clemson fans behaving like total a55e5 to Hatfield.

57-0 Hatfield must go!***

Jan 17, 2018, 9:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

Thanks to all who have agreed with me, I find it hard to believe anyone would TD my post.

Jan 17, 2018, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

Was a plane banner flown many times during games

Jan 19, 2018, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

Dabo resurrected it

He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had.

Jan 17, 2018, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

If you look at his winning percentage at Clemson. He was also successful at all of his other stops. But I’m sure you don’t care about objective measures like wins, and instead want to base your belief on the fact that you don’t like him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had.

Jan 17, 2018, 7:54 PM

We currently have the best coach we ever had!!

For sure! And it isn’t even close!***

Jan 17, 2018, 7:57 PM

His winning percentage is higher because....

Jan 17, 2018, 8:09 PM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

it took him some time to ruin things from Danny Ford. Then West followed Hatfield's dumpster fire.

You don't think the actions by some of our fans

Jan 19, 2018, 2:57 PM

had something to do with recruiting being worse?

Do you remember fans booing him when he arrived for his introductory press conference?

How about the fans who told our recruits not to come to Clemson?

How about the fans who put for sale signs in his yard?

What about the plane flying over games calling for his firing?

How well do you think Danny Ford would've done under those circumstances?

I COULD HAVE WON with Danny’s players

Jan 17, 2018, 8:18 PM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

on that roster!! PS - I’m a girl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we were so talented in the late 80s, why didn't

Jan 19, 2018, 2:58 PM

Danny Ford win more?

According to you and others, Danny assembled all-world talent in the late 80s. However, this all-world talent resulted in no fewer than 2 losses each season during the years leading up to Hatfield's hiring, including several losses to teams with far less talent. We won ACC championships in what was a fairly weak ACC at the time, with no FSU in the conference yet, but no top 5 finishes and no real national championship contention any of those years.

Yet, there are many who claim that our talent was among the nation's elite when Hatfield took over. Either we had a ton of talent which Danny didn't capitalize on, since we never did better than 10-2 in the late 80s, or the talent wasn't as amazing as advertised. You guys have to choose one.

You answered you question in the last paragraph.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:34 PM

Danny lost games we had no business losing.

Sad, but true.

I agree, but I don’t think you will find many here who support that notion.

Jan 19, 2018, 7:29 PM

These are the people who think Danny Ford could do no wrong. They completely lack any semblance of objectivity. It’s sad.

Judge, you know every Hatfield win was due to Ford recruits

Jan 17, 2018, 8:39 PM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

like Brian Dawkins ... c'mon man.

Re: ^^^^^^^^^This

Jan 18, 2018, 8:49 AM

Hatfield couldn't recruit if his life depended on it.

Screw Calford.

Re: ^^^^^^^^^This

Jan 18, 2018, 9:15 AM

Brought in Dexter McLeon and Patrick Sapp who were highly rated HS QBs...and barely missed on Tommy Frazier, reportedly because he already had the other two.

Yes, because any bozo can manage a program,

Jan 19, 2018, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Judge, you know every Hatfield win was due to Ford recruits ]

hire assistants, coach, recruit, etc., and win as many games as Hatfield did with all of that talent. No head coaching expertise is involved whatsoever. LOL.

You can't be serious.***

Jan 17, 2018, 10:04 PM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

Hatfield did manage to go 10-2 with the best team in country

Jan 17, 2018, 11:42 PM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

Better than GT (Co-National champ) but managed to lose to them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the same 10-2 record Ford achieved

Jan 19, 2018, 3:02 PM

each of the three seasons leading up to Hatfield being hired?

Uhhh...NO !!!

Jan 18, 2018, 7:51 AM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

He walked into a gold mine of talent and methodically and systematically went to work tearing it down piece by piece including the previously established recruiting relationships across the southeast.

Any coach worth his salt would have won at least one if not two National Championships with all of the talent he inherited.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Uhhh...NO !!!

Jan 18, 2018, 8:48 AM

I'm worth salt...honestly...the real McCoy, in fact!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately, your post is pure conjecture.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Uhhh...NO !!! ]

How talented were we really in 1990?

The three years leading up to that, we finished 10-2. Solid, but nothing remarkable. We won ACC titles in the relatively weak ACC, before FSU joined. But we were not national championship contenders any of those seasons in the late 80s.

We had a great defense returning for Hatfield's first season, for sure. But I would argue that our offensive talent was not nearly as impressive. Who knows how we would've done that year if Danny were our coach and not Hatfield.

Based on the years prior, we probably would've lose a couple of games. But to act like it was this super talented team that any bozo could've coached to a national championship is stretching it a bit.

Unfortunately, due to our administration and Danny Ford both being ridiculous, we'll never know.

Maybe he was a decent coach, but he was a terrible recruiter

Jan 19, 2018, 5:32 PM [ in reply to He’s actually one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. ]

That was his down fall more than his coaching ability.

He inherited a National Title contender and he never re-filled the tank.

If he had taken Danny's players and won, then parlayed the momentum into strong recruiting classes he might have retired at Clemson.

Instead, he totally hit rock bottom at 5-6.

His final Clemson season (8-wins) was very similar to Muschamp's season in 2017 ... sort of deceptive.

There is every reason to believe that long-term he was more of a 5-6 type of coach for Clemson than 10-2.

We can argue all night long about whether or not he was a good coach, but recruiting is a huge part of being a successful coach and he just wasn't good at it.

Uhhh.......not even close.

Jan 17, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clemson_Tigers_head_football_coaches

John Stone was the worst I can remember.***

Jan 17, 2018, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: John Stone was the worst I can remember.***

Jan 17, 2018, 9:35 PM

pffft, Bud Saunders was waaay worse

Jan 17, 2018, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

You must have forgotten about Hootie Ingram!!!

Jan 18, 2018, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was just a really good coach ]

Technically Ron Dickerson was the worst coach we ever had. Totally incompetent as a defensive back coach. Ken Hatfield was definitely a head coach that couldn't sustain the great program given to him.

Re: Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach

Jan 17, 2018, 7:56 PM

I tried to like him! We ran into Him at Knickerbockers one day. He was buying hats for friends. I spoke and said "Good Luck tomorrow Coach"! He looked at me like I was crazy and never said a word. I turned to my wife and said "I hope they fire the AzzHole". They did and I was happy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 8:14 PM

He definitely danced to a different tune. He never really tried to become part of the Clemson family. He did not mix with the people in Clemson at all, very distant and cold. I have long time friends that have lived in Clemson all of their lives that would agree with this. If my memory serves me correctly he chose to live in Powdersville. For those of you not familiar with the area, Powdersville is about 25 miles From Clemson. Another pox on his head was he had the first loss to Virginia.

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

Jan 17, 2018, 8:56 PM

He did not live in Powdersville. He lived on some farm acreage about 10 miles from Clemson close to the Fair Play area.

sounds like it may not have been him***

Jan 17, 2018, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach ]

Jan 18, 2018, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach ]

I had a similar experience with the man. He was about as engaging as a cold rock in January. Nobody around the program really liked him and once he lost the players in the locker room it was over.

Screw Calford.

^^^now thats funny right there.***

Jan 17, 2018, 7:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dresses like a hipster.*****

Jan 17, 2018, 8:02 PM

Great Article about Ken Hatfield’s accomplishments while at Clemson.

Jan 17, 2018, 8:14 PM

You have to read it with an open mind to appreciate it and what Ken Hatfield was able to achieve at Clemson.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2017/8/8/16088872/greatest-football-coaches-in-clemson-history-8-ken-hatfield

If the link fails google it.

Re: Great Article about Ken Hatfield’s accomplishments while at Clemson.

Jan 17, 2018, 8:23 PM

Let me say this, I could have won the first several years at Clemson with what Hatfield inherited form Coach Ford.

Don’t be ridiculous.***

Jan 17, 2018, 8:30 PM

Re: Don’t be ridiculous.***

Jan 17, 2018, 8:44 PM

It would have been easy, I would have let the inmates run the asylum.

Hatfield was a terrible coach at Clemson

Jan 17, 2018, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Don’t be ridiculous.*** ]

Hatfield inherited a program that had won 38 games in the four years before he arrived at Clemson, winning the ACC 3 of the prior four years, and defeating Stanford, Penn State, Oklahoma and West Virginia in bowl games those four years.

In Hatfield's 3rd year, the Tigers finished the ACC with a 3-5 record and were ranked 7th in a 9 team league. Hatfield took a program ranked in the top ten nationally to 7th in the ACC in three years. I doubt any person who watched the Clemson team play the last four years under Coach Ford and the first 3 years under Coach Hatfield would say he was a good coach.

Hatfield's last year he lost to a 2-9 Wake Forest team.

After Hatfield left Clemson, he coached 12 years at Rice, posting only 3 winning seasons. Hatfield was never offered a good job after he coached at Clemson.

It's impossible to examine Hatfield's record at Clemson and afterwards and say he was a good coach. It's idiotic to think Hatfield failed because of a lack of Clemson fan support when every team he coached at Clemson was among the national leaders in home attendance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield at Rice

Jan 17, 2018, 9:36 PM

Hatfield had 3 winning records in the 12 years he coached at Rice. Since he left, the Owls have posted 5 winning seasons and gone to 4 bowls. Both Rice coaches since Ken Hatfield left the Owls had higher winning percentages than Hatfield had at Rice.

I don't think it was purely Hatfield's fault at Clemson.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Hatfield was a terrible coach at Clemson ]

Nice guy by all accounts, and good coach, but I do not think he would've been as successful as Ford even under the best of circumstances. However, the circumstances of his hiring and coaching tenure were pretty bad by anyone's standards. Booed at his introductory press conference, some boosters negatively recruiting against him, for sale signs in his yard, planes flying over Death Valley calling for his firing, etc.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't help himself with the offense he ran or his personality at times, but it was a really crappy situation and he was never really given a fair chance by many Clemson fans. It's one thing to show up to games because you have season tickets and enjoy tailgating. It's another thing to truly support the guy and want him to win. Sadly, there was a vocal minority of our fans who were still too upset about Danny Ford no longer being our coach to fully support Hatfield.

It was a sad time in our program's history.

Jan 17, 2018, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Great Article about Ken Hatfield’s accomplishments while at Clemson. ]

Could you have had won 10 games under the circumstances the KH had to deal with???? You seem like one of the Saturday armchair HC’s he knows enough about college football to think he knows more than he really does!

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Jan 17, 2018, 8:55 PM

Since you asked I would probably have gone undefeated. Hatfield was not a players coach, The players played for their future and not Hatfield. He personally cost us the embarrassing loss to Cal in the Citrus Bowl by his actions and treatment of players before the game.

LOL!!

Jan 17, 2018, 8:57 PM

You’re joking, right? Please tell me you’re joking.

This is probably the best article I have read that defines the KH years

Jan 17, 2018, 8:22 PM

at Clemson and his success despite some of the players and fans.

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2014/07/09/clemsons-best-coaches-hatfield-kept-them-together/

Re: This is probably the best article I have read that defines the KH years

Jan 17, 2018, 8:41 PM

Too bad we didn't get to see Hatfield coach a team with with all of his own recruits. I wonder what kind of team he was trying to build? Clearly Tommy West had no clue and screwed it up.

We didn’t get to find out. Some of our very own fans

Jan 17, 2018, 8:47 PM

went out of their way to sabotage his efforts and undermine the program. Neither Dabo Swinney nor Danny Ford would’ve done very well either if Clemson fans were telling recruits not to come to Clemson and putting for sale signs in their yard.

Don’t get me wrong, Hatfield made some mistskes for sure, but he didn’t have a chance at Clemson.

Re: We didn’t get to find out. Some of our very own fans

Jan 17, 2018, 9:06 PM

All of you that are carrying Hatfield's water buy you a Bus ticket to Arkansas and spend a few days asking the Hogs what they thought of him. You might change your tune.

A bus ticket? Is this the 1950s?***

Jan 17, 2018, 9:15 PM

Re: A bus ticket? Is this the 1950s?***

Jan 17, 2018, 10:08 PM

Thought you might have Fear of Flying.

Jan 17, 2018, 10:22 PM [ in reply to We didn’t get to find out. Some of our very own fans ]

Made some mistakes? That goofy a$$ couldn’t even get the plays in on time. He was pitiful

Jan 18, 2018, 12:04 AM [ in reply to We didn’t get to find out. Some of our very own fans ]

You nailed Judge Keller. But the fans seem to forget everything they did to make sure KH did not succeed at Clemson. He was pretty successful despite all the negative actions by the fans and some of the players.

Re: This is probably the best article I have read that defines the KH years

Jan 17, 2018, 10:21 PM [ in reply to This is probably the best article I have read that defines the KH years ]

And this is what we had when he came in
http://theclemsoninsider.com/2017/12/05/ford-proud-to-be-a-part-of-clemson-history/

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

KH accomplished a lot under the difficult circumstances he has to deal with.

Jan 17, 2018, 8:36 PM

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2017/8/8/16088872/greatest-football-coaches-in-clemson-history-8-ken-hatfield

I thought this was a suck up thread...

Jan 17, 2018, 8:54 PM

So he votes us in over Rice for the last CFP spot.

But that’s a funny looking photo so I’ll +1 it.

~JKB

Jan 17, 2018, 9:54 PM

Hatfield was a good football coach. He won big at Air Force and Arkansas. He came into a completely unwinnable situation at my alma mater...hated because he replaced the most loved coach in school history who was fired for reasons not revealed to the Clemson family. He came here at a time when many in authority at Clemson were sick of football and wanted it to diminish in importance here and never wanted a coach again who had the power and influence that comes from succeeding in a big way. We suffered for twenty years because of those people....not Ken Hatfield or Tommy West.

Jan 17, 2018, 10:27 PM

In 27 years of coaching Hatfield's record was 168-140-4 545%. His bowl record was 4-6 40%.

Jan 18, 2018, 12:18 AM

If you want to know what bad is, take a look at the early 70’s. Between Hootie Ingram and Red Parker we had a horrid seven year span in loserville. Combined record of 29-46-2.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach ]

you are spot on, especially regarding the admin. clearly football had become too big for them. Hatfield wasn't a bad hire for Clemson, but it didn't work out as well as it might. west, on the other hand, was an insult. everyone likes him, he gave the hope of being a throwback to the Ford days, but anyone evaluating him would have quickly found he wasn't ready for d1 ball. our bad years were caused by the admin.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Kenny Hatfield was a really good coach ]

I have to agree with Tiggdad, Hatfield was a decent coach but never had any support. We had respectable records during those years, but the fun factor was gone from Clemson football. Still, he had his place in our history - his era led to Tommy I who led to Tommy II who hired Dabo, so it's all good now.

Ken Hatfield was a really good coach; Hatfield sucked.

Jan 17, 2018, 11:52 PM

The truth lies somewhere in between. The fact is, he was a good football coach, but he was the wrong coach, at the wrong place, at the wrong time. He was nothing like the wildly popular legend he replaced, and was a terrible fit for Clemson, which was a large part of his downfall. The irony is, the knuckleheads who hired him, hired him for that very reason, and they are largely to blame for what happened to Clemson football over the next decade-plus.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

As I always say when I see this photo, I like that shirt.

Jan 18, 2018, 7:41 AM

Crappy hat, but 25+ years later I'd still wear the shirt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those trucker hats were SuuWEEET !!***

Jan 18, 2018, 8:26 AM

It's a fool who searches for logic in the chambers of the...

Jan 18, 2018, 8:29 AM

human heart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kenny Hatfield was the delivery system

Jan 18, 2018, 8:43 AM

Bobby Robinson designed the demise of Clemson Football. Where else would a golf coach AD require the football coach to submit his gameplan for approval?

Jan 18, 2018, 9:12 AM

"Say what bruh!"

Jan 18, 2018, 9:19 AM

Hatfield coached at Clemson from 1990 to 1993, compiling a 32–13–1 record. In his second season, 1991, he led the Tigers to their last [[Atlantic Coast Conference]] title in the pre-championship game era. However, Hatfield was never really accepted by Clemson's fans. A common saying among Tiger fans during this time was "[[Frank Howard (American football coach)|Howard]] built it. Ford filled it. Hatfield killed it."

Largely due to this discontent, school officials refused to grant him a one-year extension on his contract after the 1993 season, even though the Tigers had rebounded from 5–6 in 1992 to a solid 8–3 record that year. Angered at what he saw as a lack of support, Hatfield resigned at the end of the regular season.clemson-coach-quits.html Clemson coach quits]. ''[[The New York Times]]'', November 25, 1993.

No one following Danny would have had a chance regardless of how good they were.

Tiger/Terrier

I was there the day Ken Hatfield arrived

Jan 18, 2018, 9:29 AM

at Clemson. He walked into a no win
hostile environment. The conduct, comments,
gestures toward him by "some" so called
Clemson supporters was embarrassing, pathetic,
and sickening.
Hatfield was obviously not the right fit at
Clemson but he deserved much better than he
received. It probably took more courage, class,
and character to take that job than many would
have possessed.
I'm not sure why after all these years anyone
feels the need to continue the hostility and post an attack
toward this man.

Jan 19, 2018, 11:43 AM

Agreed

Anybody know if TigerSports or Knickerbockers

Jan 19, 2018, 3:05 PM

still has that Polo?

That's money!!!

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic