Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Grayson HS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Grayson HS

Feb 17, 2018, 1:33 PM

Anybody know what's going on down there? I knew stars were transferring in but did not realize they transferred out after the season ended. Fishy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/georgia/loganville/amp/27075085/investigation-closed-grayson-football-star-cleared-ghsa

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grayson HS

Feb 17, 2018, 3:02 PM

Honestly, nothing fishy here, just normal GA High School sports.

Better players move in and around GA high schools all the time for better opportunities. Recruiting is rampant and, as long as the "i's" are dotted and the "ts" crossed, it is perfectly legal. Jameyst Williams, Fresh DB at USC, went to 3 different high schools in 3 years, finally winding up at the University of Grayson before moving on to the Gamecocks. Grayson is probably the most notorious of the GA schools in terms of recruiting but it goes on everywhere and especially in Gwinnett County.

Last season, I know of a player who played for 1 high school in Gwinnett for 1/2 of the season and he transferred to another Gwinnett school for the 2nd half of the season. Several years ago, Grady HS in Atlanta had a stud LB playing on the football team who wasn't even enrolled in the school! Another prominent case was Milton HS in North Fulton County. It is a snow white HS with virtually no African Americans in attendance. They won a state championship in HS basketball with 5 African Americans. That one didn't end well as the local folks complained to the State and it was determined that they were bringing in the players just to play basketball and they didn't live in the district - wow, big surprise! Stripped of their championship.

GA HS sports plays hard and fast with the rules and that's putting it mildly!

Feb 17, 2018, 3:26 PM

You're absolutely right. Grayson is, for the most part, similar to Duke and KY in basketball. They are going to bring in the best players because they have been successful. It is a cycle. Players will have a chance to play for championships, get scholarships, etc. if they go there, totally understandable from that aspect.

Feb 17, 2018, 4:24 PM

Summerville HS did that in the lowcountry until around 1989 or so. Many families were found houses, provided with jobs so their sons could play Summerville fb. He fought building another HS harder than recent presidential elections. Hell the 9th and 10th grade didn’t go to the high school. They had a separate school for each two grades because they couldn’t build one big enough for all of the 9-10. I guess in hindsight they could ie that high school in Florida that was just in the news. They have over 10 three story buildings in their high school and over 3,000 students. I wonder what kind of fb comes out of that school? I would think a really good one

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 17, 2018, 3:06 PM

It cuts both ways, though.

As a USSF coach who worked with a lot of state-level kids, whenever I saw an exceptional player, my first question was always: "who coached him?"

Same applies in every sport. Elite players don't spring fully-formed out of the Earth; they have to be developed. And the program at a lot of high schools simply won't get you there. If you happen to be going to a school where the local football program is a joke, you won't get developed, you won't get used properly, you won't get networked to college coaches who can scout you, you won't get a college scholarship.

Is the transferring abused? Sure. But the bottom line is that a ton of kids transfer in to Grayson because it's a 7A program that plays at the highest level of competition and they get a ton of kids signed to college programs every year; there's a veritable procession of the Who's Who of college coaches through that school almost weekly. You wanna get noticed, you wanna go places, that's where you want to be.

Hard to begrudge a kid that opportunity since it certainly doesn't exist everywhere.

Feb 17, 2018, 3:40 PM

The only thing the kid did wrong is letting that strange guy in the blue cap in his backyard.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic