Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More on Cancel Culture and Chris H
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

More on Cancel Culture and Chris H

Feb 16, 2021, 8:14 AM

Good summary article:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/canceled-bachelor-host-chris-harrison-gives-ibram-x-kendi-a-rose/

If Chris Harrison should be fired, it should be for his apology, not for what he said in the first place.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That apology was one of a man who felt really good

Feb 16, 2021, 8:20 AM

when he got home that day until his wife started poking his chest really hard with her forefinger while yelling "YOU DUMBA$$ DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LITTLE WE HAVE IN SAVINGS I HAVE A LIFESTYLE THAT MUST BE MAINTAINED YOU GET BACK OUT THERE AND TELL THEM YOU'RE SORRY!!!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That apology was one of a man who felt really good

Feb 16, 2021, 8:22 AM

Man, you aren't kidding. You'd hope the guy has enough cash stashed away to support his next two generations of offspring - he ought to!

If it were me, I'd flip the network and media off faster than Biden forgets his next line, and make them fire me.

Then I'd take the series to Netflix or wherever and do the Charlie Sheen winning thing! haha

It's interesting. When you make an effort to appeal to

Feb 16, 2021, 8:21 AM

people just to entertain them, and make money, your profession is about as stable as those people who consume your entertainment. All the more reason to stick to what you do and do best, and keep your mouth shut about anything else.

Cancel culture is just a reaction to the culture we have. If you're one of the narcissists who crave attention and want to be rich and famous, then you will live or die in the bed that you made for yourself. The Bachelor? Lol, has to be up there in the 8-10 range for cancel culture susceptibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's interesting. When you make an effort to appeal to

Feb 16, 2021, 8:24 AM

But it's not like he got caught saying egregious things...nothing at all wrong with what he said until a black woman says she has a problem with it.

Doesn't matter. If you sell your soul to the masses

Feb 16, 2021, 8:33 AM

to entertain them, then they will be beholden to their whims. Just how it goes. Greed and envy.....those two deadly sins are deadly for a reason. You want fame, power, and money. Fine. When you get it, there will be someone else (just like you once were) who wants to rise up and take it from you. Just how it goes.

Tell you what.....

What were Johnny Carson's political views?
What were Humphrey Bogart's political views?
What were Marilyn Monroe's political views?
Elvis?
Andy Griffith?

We have a cancel culture because we CAN have one. Everyone shares way TMI these days on social media, and everywhere else. As such, if they have money and fame, they also have a massive target on them for those who want it. As such, they can be canceled with the least little slip (envy). Greed gets you famous and rich, and envy brings you down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marilyn loved her some Dems ... esp JFK***

Feb 16, 2021, 8:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the way you said this. I don't really buy into the

Feb 16, 2021, 8:49 AM [ in reply to It's interesting. When you make an effort to appeal to ]

hand-wringing over "cancel culture". When your livelihood depends on people liking you because of the very public nature of your job, then you can't take that positive ($) when you're popular, and then complain about the negative when that goes against you.

If you don't want your success tied to people's opinion of you, get a construction job or something.

Or just keep your mouth closed when people start talking

Feb 16, 2021, 11:32 AM

about controversial subjects.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like the way you said this. I don't really buy into the

Feb 16, 2021, 3:01 PM [ in reply to I like the way you said this. I don't really buy into the ]

prod

I feel the same way about some actors who, having gotten a bit older, complain about not being able to get roles because of their age. You made a huge living by being attractive and NOW you want to complain about Hollywood's standards.

Let me say that i think that many actors are very talented artists - and that they continmue to contribute to their art no matter their age.

Re: It's interesting. When you make an effort to appeal to

Feb 16, 2021, 9:37 AM [ in reply to It's interesting. When you make an effort to appeal to ]

Yeah, if you make your living just by being popular (without any substance other than the trend of the week stuff), then you better protect that fragile popularity closely. People voted for your with their viewership, or clicks, or dollars - and they can stop supporting you just as quickly.

When your river of support is shallow, it is very easy to run aground.

Wife made me watch his interview. I cannot understand how

Feb 16, 2021, 8:32 AM

anything he said was offensive. He was simply asking everyone to give the girl who went the party some time and some grace before convicting her as a racist.

The girl wants to marry a black dude. Doubt she's racist. I thought he did a great job of defending her without defending her actions. He just said we should allow her to speak before convicting/cancelling her.

Re: More on Cancel Culture and Chris H

Feb 16, 2021, 8:34 AM

I don't like cancel culture, but if this all helps get The Bachelor cancelled that would be nice. I guess a fair number of people give a chit about The Bachelor much like Naked and Afraid and televised bowling. I just don't get it. Why someone would give a rat's #### about some ##### trying to marry some random dude is beyond my understanding. I think this has been such a hurtful thing that nothing short of cancellation will do.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2021, 8:25 PM

I'll let you argue to my wife why a sports game (like Clemson football) matters. She asks me about that a lot. She doesn't get it.

The answer to both is that they really don't matter in the big picture. Whether or not Clemson wins or loses or I watch Bachelor or not should not change my life!

I don't care about the show, but the treatment of Chris H has been terrible.

I am proud to say that I have no idea who he is

Feb 16, 2021, 8:36 AM

and I have never watched the bachelor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2021, 8:53 AM

I'm going to do something you probably don't expect - agree with you here.

There's a certain kind of Social Justice Warrior I particularly loathe and abhor, who seemingly exists just to find somebody on the wrong side of a particular social issue, and then...pounce. NAILED YA. Full social media expose. Cameras rolling. Screenshots. Full doxx. Screamsheets. Viral overload. And before the poor bewildered sod in question can even begin to defend himself, they're already a public leper covered in sh!t wearing goat horns and they find themselves the object of scorn, derision, and public contempt, and advertisers and employers are jettisoning them like they've got Anthrax.

Normally Foxworld's reactionary Culture Warriors herp and derp and grump and moan and tries to defend what is largely thickheaded derps getting castigated for saying reprehensible or idiotic stuff and refusing to back down from it, but this particular article does a very rational and articulate job of making its case that this was absolutely not the case here, and that in this case one of these overzealous opportunistic SJW screechers jumped in and smeared...and I agree, this kind of crap is getting real old too.

So hey. Point to NC on this one.

Feb 16, 2021, 9:45 AM

I agree. The problem is equating situations like this, which is totally outrageous, to something like, I don't know, maybe someone claiming that their tweet filled with disinformation getting a disinformation label is like being a Jew dragged out into the street and sent to Dachau.

That being said, I also agree with Tiggity above. If your audience is 100% women who love social media and succumb to its cultural ebbs and flows and #blackouttuesday super woke black square posting kind of stuff... I don't think you can be terribly surprised when something innocuous you've said doesn't align with the twittersphere for that particular day.

Feb 16, 2021, 9:47 AM

I would like to throw in something here of a tangential nature.

Is it possible for a person to have committed abhorrent actions or have abhorrent views in one arena of human endeavor and be a good, worthwhile, even admirable, human being in other arenas ?

This seems to be a consideration that escapes many people today. Perhaps humans have always been like this - eager to assign a label to a person - to dismiss them so that they don't have to think about it anymore. But it certainly has gotten more widespread with the advent of social and other media.

I wouldn't consider myself nostalgic. I understand that the good old days were never as good as they might seem looking back on things. But I remember, wistfully, when we had 3 TV stations for our news - and we could trust them to accurately present events of the day.

The answer to the question in the second paragraph is

Feb 16, 2021, 11:28 AM

one thing. I think you believe the answer is yes, and I agree, and that yes or no, it is so for everyone. The issue now is that we have lost the value that the answer is true for everyone. Instead, selective application is now a tool to impose ideology on individuals.

An example of how much our culture once allowed the answer to be yes is JFK. We all know, and people knew then, that he slept with someone other than Jackie almost every day. Almost every day. It wasn't that his supporters turned a blind eye to it - and the press all knew it and never said a word - but the other side did exactly the same thing. There was an intuitive understanding that, "Sure, we can raise a stink about this, and maybe get him unelected, but none of us want to live in that world." Our society really was that way, if imperfectly so.

Contrast that to today, where we have moved far beyond mere cancel culture. It is common practice now to start with the person and search for the crime. "We need to cancel this dude. Go find something, anything. Money is no object."

The demand for ideological alignment from individuals is coming. Some here defend the application in this case by, "if you live by public opinion, you die from it too", as if that justifies the injustice done to this individual. That is blindly ignoring what it is telling us, that they'll come for you next.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The answer to the question in the second paragraph is

Feb 16, 2021, 2:54 PM

Tulsa,

Allow me to make a couple of points.

1. I think there are still plenty of people (politicians, media people, etc.) who know things about other people and let it ride because they don't think those particular things are important. Unfortunately, in the crush for viewers and clicks, there are some who refuse to take the more principled position - and their microphone is just as loud as anyone's. BTW - if Americans didn't buy into this, it would stop.

2. The Bachelor guy made a living shoveling popular dreck. Now he is unpopular and unable to make a living that way. I have trouble feeling too bad about it. I understand that you think we are standing on a slippery slope, and maybe you're right, but this guy is not the guy I am going to defend. There are better cases to be considered.

G-d help you if you were ever a KA and get on the wrong side

Feb 16, 2021, 9:58 AM

of cancel culture.

Laaaawwwddd...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOLD UP ONE MINUTE HERE PAL

Feb 16, 2021, 11:54 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

you worship RE Lee, don't you? DON'T YOU?!?***

Feb 16, 2021, 3:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you worship RE Lee, don't you? DON'T YOU?!?***

Feb 16, 2021, 8:28 PM

Yeah! I'm surprised KA has not been disbanded. Surely a novice Googler can find all kind of incriminating "evidence."

Re: G-d help you if you were ever a KA and get on the wrong side

Feb 16, 2021, 12:39 PM [ in reply to G-d help you if you were ever a KA and get on the wrong side ]

Absolutely true! Has KA- Kirby Smart apologized yet? So much to atone for Kirby! The city of Atlanta needs to repent for their former minor league team. The Crackers.

Again, I don't care one iota about the Bachelor or the host, but it's gotten truly crazy unless you're a woke lib like Danny Glover or Sean Penn. There were no real repercussions when they palled around with Hugo Chavez and when Penn spent time in Tehran. Jane Fonda's career never sustained much damage, though she was loathed by many, for hanging out with the North Vietnamese and posing on an antiaircraft weapon during the Vietnam war while nearby American POW's were being tortured.

This dude tries to cut this young woman just a bit of slack and he gets hammered.

Many celebrities have publicly supported convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal. That's apparently cool. I wonder what would happen if a celebrity earlier supported the cop who killed Michael Brown. Despite the fact that the cop was not charged and despite the fact that Eric Holder and the DOJ could not come up with a reason to file federal charges, how do you think it would go for a celebrity even now to say he felt sorry for the cop?

I agree with the thought-Shut up and play, act, sing, etc. Most celebs are about as deep as the Rio Grande. I don't care what they think, but cancel culture works one way and one way only. To me that is the most alarming issue. It is also disappointing when people apologize when they shouldn't. I still think less of Phil Mickelson backtracking on his thoughts of moving to FL to avoid the CA state income taxes. If I were in his shoes, I would be in Jupiter FL now with the rest of the guys.

Yikes

Feb 16, 2021, 10:20 AM

Some may remember Boone Hall had several Bluegrass Festivals

Feb 16, 2021, 11:19 AM

and other concerts. I attended a few.

Some may even remember when students in the Charleston area took field trips to Middleton and Magnolia Plantations. Some may recall, knowledgable, conscientious HS history teachers putting the proper context to the beauty and luxury of southern mansions with that of the cruelty and hardship of slavery. Lessons learned by many SC students that last a lifetime.

Not sure how attending a wedding, concert or any event at an old southern Plantation defines values or morals. These are merely beautiful historical properties, like many of the old, charming homes located in downtown Charleston.

Things get edgy when an event may have an “antebellum theme” that may be perceived at embracing and glorifying the culture of rich white slave owners. Chris Harrison got caught in this perception trap. My take is he’s simply pointing out people shouldn’t be solely judged on actions taken as young adults. Seems the Governor of Virginia was also caught in this trap.

Seems all should be given the benefit of the doubt. Move on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some may remember Boone Hall had several Bluegrass Festivals

Feb 16, 2021, 11:46 AM

Our church, St Andrews, always had their Easter Service at

Feb 16, 2021, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Yikes ]

Boone Hall Plantation.

I wonder if that will get shut down?

I agree with Tiggity...

Feb 16, 2021, 11:37 AM

I feel the same way about paparrazi and demands for privacy from actors. You make the millions you make because people want to know everything about you. So you take the good with the bad. Is it right? Maybe not, but there ain't #### you can do about it.

One small point, is the world really THAT different than it was in 2018?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with Tiggity...

Feb 16, 2021, 11:48 AM

I know, that kinda left me scratching my head too. What's changed since then? World War? A Great Awakening? An ice age I didn't notice? I mean, I know the culture vultures measure trend half-lives in weeks, nowadays, so to them 2018 was basically the Neolithic, but that still seemed weird to me.

I don't think in 2018 we were changing the names of schools

Feb 16, 2021, 12:02 PM

named after George Washington and Abe Lincoln. Spending millions of dollars on non-sense.

2020 has made people absolutely lose their minds and common sense.

The "black face" scandals happened in 2019 - to me that's

Feb 16, 2021, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree with Tiggity... ]

when it became uncool to do ANYTHING associated with the Old South. (I don't think it's uncool - but that's when the idiots decided it was...)

So - I think the 2018 reference holds fairly true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had never heard of black face until

Feb 16, 2021, 8:31 PM

the Meghan Kelly thing.

I recognized it, but did not know it was a thing.

I cannot wait for the jounge libs to leaern

Feb 16, 2021, 11:53 AM

That I attended Old South twice. I would say that if Carlsbad® was still with us... that would be his breaking point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Wait, like one of those parties...

Feb 16, 2021, 3:50 PM

Where you dress up like you're some Rhett Butler on a plantation?

Sounds pretty silly. I mean, unless it was Halloween. Or you're 67.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Feb 16, 2021, 2:57 PM

BTW,

I think the way that we constantly toss out the term cancel culture prevents us from having any serious discussion about the issues central to each case.

This one is pretty frivolous, but some of them are not - and we avoid the conversation by hollering cancel culture.

Feb 16, 2021, 5:46 PM

To paraphrase the late great Johnny Cochran, "if the term fits, we must NOT acquit." This is a definite example of cancel culture. Guilty.

Feb 17, 2021, 9:23 AM

And so no thought or discussion about what having or attending an antebellum party MIGHT say about the racial attitudes of those attending and whether we might be better off dropping our romantic notions of such a period.

Feb 16, 2021, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Re: More on Cancel Culture and Chris H ]

people act like this is some new phenomenon now that it has a clever name. Alliterations are the natural sworn enemy of the stupids.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic