Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: WATCH: CFB analyst calls Heisman Trophy 'kinda trash' for not honoring Clemson QBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

TNET: WATCH: CFB analyst calls Heisman Trophy 'kinda trash' for not honoring Clemson QBs

Jun 15, 2021, 4:35 PM

WATCH: CFB analyst calls Heisman Trophy 'kinda trash' for not honoring Clemson QBs

Clemson has had generational QBs come through lately who won college football's ultimate prize. The game's most highly-regarded individual award, the Heisman Trophy? Not so much. FOX Sports' RJ Young argued this week that the longtime gridiron centerpiece honor is, well, "kinda trash." Young's prime Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: WATCH: CFB analyst calls Heisman Trophy 'kinda trash' for not honoring Clemson QBs

Jun 15, 2021, 4:40 PM

Nice to see someone gets it outside of us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: WATCH: CFB analyst calls Heisman Trophy 'kinda trash' for not honoring Clemson QBs

Jun 15, 2021, 11:33 PM

He is 10,000% correct, the Heisman award is nothing but a junk trophy coming from trashy voters without an honest bone in their unintelligent chit for brains!!! Just the words Heisman trophy is enough to cause the most vial people to puke in their bowl of soup, and keep eating it!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem

Jun 15, 2021, 4:55 PM

with Lamar winning it and honestly, it just wasn't EVER in the cards for Trevor...He didn't have the reps as a Fr, NOBODY was going to win it over Joe in 2019(and rightfully so, that was an amazing season) and last year, he caught Covid and missed too much time to really even get in the conversation once the season got going...The fact that he had a torn labrum and we couldn't block for him didn't help either

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know these awards votes do not overlap

Jun 15, 2021, 6:24 PM

but it is difficult to say that Deshaun is the best QB in the nation (Manning Award) but another QB is the best player.
Deshaun had more yards of total offense than Lamar, a better completion percentage, equal total TDs, a higher QB rating, beat him head to head and lead his team to a CFP berth. Lamar won that trophy on early season highlights because the second half of the season, teams played Louisville better and they took a few losses along the way...
Henry rushing for 2000 yards on the best team in the country is no small feat but Deshaun surely displayed himself to be the single best player in the country in 2015 as well as 2016, despite early interceptions in 2016.

Woody Dantzler should have gotten into the Heisman and Maxwell award discussions as the first 2000 yard passing, 1000 yard rushing QB in the history of college football.

CJ should have been better recognized nationally for his best all around football skills as a rusher, receiver, returner, TD maker...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deshaun was on a far superior team to Lamar though, we

Jun 30, 2017, 9:50 PM

were loaded on both sides of the ball and Louisville was an 8-9 win team...If they had switched teams, I don't know that Deshaun could have taken us to the edge of a loss

Derrick Henry was on a far superior team...

Jun 15, 2021, 6:46 PM

...at the time, a once in a decade kind of team as it was talked about how loaded bama was at all levels of the team, including 5 stars who had to sit behind starting 5 stars...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We SHOULD have beaten Derrick Henry's team, there was a FAR

Jun 15, 2021, 9:36 PM

greater divide between us and Louisville than there was between us and 2015 Bama...That's a bad faith argument at best

I think the point he was trying to make is that

Jun 16, 2021, 11:06 AM

The quality of team you are on is irrelevant in the voters eyes.

Joe Burrow.. NC lsu team.... ...and henry..NC bama team prove that.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

At some point, the voters began to equate the best player(s)

Jun 17, 2021, 11:02 AM [ in reply to We SHOULD have beaten Derrick Henry's team, there was a FAR ]

with being on the best team, which is really the bad faith argument. These awards are INDIVIDUAL awards, and it's not hard to look at individual accomplishments to know who is deserving of the awards. It's bad faith that Mark Ingram is the best player because he played on the "best" team. It's bad faith that Gino Torreta is the "best" player because he's the QB of the "best" team. Lamar had a season deserving of the award because he elevated Louisville and how he performed, but on the field Deshaun did better statistically, and more because he elevated Clemson to a point where two defensive and one special teams lapses end his season before achieving an undefeated season as the first 15-0 team with a national championship. Clemson had a superior team to Louisville, but by all accounts, bama had the far superior team to anyone...
Pitt sucked, but there was no doubt that Aaron Donald was the best lineman in the country, and the heisman should be able to make that same level of distinction as all the other awards.

Lousiville was a 4 loss team. The last player to win the

Jun 18, 2021, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Deshaun was on a far superior team to Lamar though, we ]

Heisman on a team with 4 losses was George Rogers in 1980.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i would not have minded if Macaffrey won it that year, he was

Jun 15, 2021, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem ]

incredible, but it was a joke to give it to Henry, when both the other finalists had better years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know, I could have lived with that too***

Jun 15, 2021, 9:37 PM

Re: Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem

Jun 16, 2021, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem ]

Lamar’s stats were so high because his coach left him in games that were complete blowouts. They were up against FSU in the 4th quarter by about 30 points and he remained in the game the entire game. While any respectful coach pulls his starters when the game is completely out of reach. Lamar was outstanding but his stats were padded.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2021, 11:58 AM

actually the clip ESPN played over and over of Lamar hurdling that defensive back won it for him.

yeah, of course they were***

Jun 18, 2021, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem ]

Jun 17, 2021, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem ]

Beating ND last year in the regular season might have been the one.

Missing that game, we'll never know.

The only thing I DO know is we WILL celebrate a Heisman when it finally comes to Clemson (& it's coming).

Jun 19, 2021, 1:40 AM [ in reply to Deshaun should have won it over Henry, but I have no problem ]

I think Deshaun should have won it over Jackson. He was better statistically in every way, was more consistent (Jackson disappeared at the end of the season), and it helps that he beat a more talented Alabama team through leadership and sheer force of will.

I don't disagree with Lawrence never winning it though. He was phenomenal and probably was the best all-around player in college football, but I don't think he really earned it based on any single season compared to the competition. His freshman year was by far his best year and he should have been a high finalist. But because he played only part of the season, he was #22 in passing yards, tied for 10th in TDs with Fromm, #22 in accuracy, #23 in ypa, and #12 in rating. It also hurts that his most impressive games came after the Heisman voting. Murray put up amazing numbers and had 1000 yards rushing and 12 TDs. He deserved it for the same reasons Deshaun did. Tua and Haskins also had a good argument. In 2019, it was Trevor's to lose but he took a big step back at the beginning of the season (the pressure was a lot for anyone). But no one was beating Burrow. I've never seen anything like what he did. And last year, Trevor was really good but the terrible offensive line and wideout issues made his stats look mediocre. It hurts that Sam Howell had better stats in every category playing the same schedule (I know Sam played another game, but unless Trevor threw for 500 yards and 7 touchdowns, it was still Sam in all the categories). I honestly would have voted him #4 last year behind Smith, Harris, and Trask.

I’ve never heard of this guy but I couldn’t agree more

Jun 15, 2021, 5:21 PM

With his opinion on the Heisman trophy.

I’ve never heard of this guy but I couldn’t agree more

Jun 15, 2021, 5:21 PM

With his opinion on the Heisman trophy.

Re: I’ve never heard of this guy but I couldn’t agree more

Jun 15, 2021, 6:13 PM

He’s a YouTuber and Fox sports just brought him on board. The same way they just bought OutKick.

Agree totally

Jun 15, 2021, 10:04 PM

It’s a popularity contest for the media before the seasons halfway done that never considers Trevor & Deshaun didn’t play in many games in the 3rd & 4th quarter. Clemson’s marketing to overcome facts is too difficult.

Let’s be honest it’s not the best player.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Agree totally

Jun 15, 2021, 10:50 PM

It’s been a trash trophy for a long time. It’s an award for gaudy stats accumulated when the game was over 4 touchdowns ago. No Clemson player will ever win it as long as Dabo is coaching, because Clemson starters aren’t on the field when the lead is 4 touchdowns.

Jun 15, 2021, 10:58 PM

Yep!

Jun 19, 2021, 6:50 PM

And that may be why Arch Manning will not play for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2021, 7:55 AM

He's right, you know.

The Heisman has sucked for decades. They have made some questionable selections through the years but their most egregious error was not moving the vote to the end of post season. That mistake traces back 70 years to the time when bowl games were considered purely exhibitions of minor consideration, hence Notre Dame's decades long refusal to go to bowl games. Now the peak of college football is after the first of December. Attempting to equate performances in September games to those played in the Big Four Bowls, in conference championships and for the last 25 years in national title deciding games is foolish.
The problem with the Heisman has little to do with Clemson and much more to do with when the vote is taken and who gets the vote.

Still, Clemson QBs have been hosed in the last half dozen years.

In January of 2019, following the 2018 season, there was no question that Trevor Lawrence was the best player in college football. Everyone who watched the title game knew that fact as did the entire NFL.

Lamar Jackson is a great player. I like him a lot. Watson had a better career, beat Jackson head to head and looked great doing it. Watson's back to back 500 yard games against Alabama in National Title games is unlikely to be matched anytime soon.

What did Johnny Football do but play a fine midseason game against Bama?

The trophy is meaningless to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2021, 11:32 AM

The Heisman Trophy is only important because ESPN tells you it is important. The media hypes it because they get to vote. It's not different than the Emmy's or the Grammy's. Media hyping media.

Jun 18, 2021, 1:43 PM

I dunno, I mean, it existed before ESPN, but I think we WILL love the Heisman when we get one here, know what I mean?

I'll be prepared to celebrate it. Probably not this year & that's OK, but we've been so close so often & that's not a bad thing, but with the consistency & recruiting here (& the recent "snubs") it's likely inevitable, IMO. Let's get it!

Jun 19, 2021, 5:13 PM

Well, now, Lamar has been brought up, so here goes.

He was just so popular, but it is only because he could run and score early on. He barely existed at the end of the season, but he was given the Heisman anyhow.

So he makes it to the NFL, and apparently the "higher-ups" had never seen a QB that could run for some TDs before, and they gave him the MVP award. Oh, suddenly he was better than sliced bread!

Well, someone else finally started to notice his inaccurate passing game. Last year, the bloom came off the rose, and he was actually getting criticized for his poor throwing performances. He threw tantrums on the sideline, blamed everyone (his receivers) but himself.

He is loaded with receivers this coming year, so I have heard. I forgot the others besides Sammy W, but he'd better step up his passing game this year, or he is going to end up broken after getting some hard hits.

The last thing I have heard about Lamar this year, is he came to Florence, SC, to court, with one of his rapper buddies, who had previously been charged with First degree Sexual Conduct while performing at a concert here. The rapper got off with a slap on the hand.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/04/29/rapper-kodak-black-pleads-guilty-florence-co-case/

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic