Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays

Sep 21, 2021, 3:00 PM

Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays

Yes, Tony Elliott thought the offensive line would be further along than it is. No, he isn’t going to bench starting quarterback DJ Uiagalelei. Yes, he knows the offense has to find a way to make explosive plays. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays

Sep 21, 2021, 3:02 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays

Sep 21, 2021, 3:14 PM

Sounds like he's been reading Tnet.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh how I miss

Sep 21, 2021, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays ]

that feeling of just knowing ETN was about to break one.

Explosive Plays???

Sep 22, 2021, 1:26 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays ]

Problem is that the offense has been on an uncommon slide for the past few seasons... Our losses in the playoffs indicated a change in our abilities. The only difference that I can think of is TE's taking over the offense's plays.
The bland play calling has been the most suspect in those games. It is oblivious that the championship quality has been changing... SOMETHING is MISSING!

Re: Explosive Plays???

Sep 22, 2021, 9:10 AM

Meh, play calling is overrated. Any moron can call plays, and many of them do. It's execution that is lacking.

Caldwell is 67. He’s eligible for full SS benefits if he retires***

Sep 21, 2021, 3:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Caldwell is 67. He’s eligible for full SS benefits if he retires***

Sep 21, 2021, 4:07 PM

I think you broke the code. Weakness of OLine has been around for a long time. Nothing new. When will they do something to fix it. Same-0, same-0 and expecting different results.

B.S., we need a younger O line coach, who players can id

Sep 21, 2021, 6:22 PM

with. O lines need to be bonded, play as one, and that has not happened in last couple of years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McClain would be perfect candidate, although he may make

Sep 21, 2021, 7:51 PM

20000- per year as sports announcer, asst. coaches make much more at Clemson.

Re: B.S., we need a younger O line coach, who players can id

Sep 22, 2021, 12:56 AM [ in reply to B.S., we need a younger O line coach, who players can id ]

What has Robbie Caldwell done for the tigers in the last 3 years?? List games! His butt needs to sit down somewhere & let a new fierce coach come in. He’s just riding his time til retiring & im sick of Dabo not realizing what he needs to do.

Sep 22, 2021, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Caldwell is 67. He’s eligible for full SS benefits if he retires*** ]

Fire his ###! He hasn’t done a #### thing in 3 years as far as offensive line. He does not deserve his salary!

Sep 22, 2021, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Caldwell is 67. He’s eligible for full SS benefits if he retires*** ]

Fire his ###! He hasn’t done a #### thing in 3 years as far as offensive line. He does not deserve his salary!

Sep 22, 2021, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Caldwell is 67. He’s eligible for full SS benefits if he retires*** ]

Well said...Dabo's loyalty to his coaches regardless of how they perform is hurting this program. Clemson has been in need of a very good OL coach for sometime now.

Sep 22, 2021, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Caldwell is 67. He’s eligible for full SS benefits if he retires*** ]

Well said...Dabo's loyalty to his coaches regardless of how they perform is hurting this program. Clemson has been in need of a very good OL coach for sometime now.

In other news, water is wet.

Sep 21, 2021, 3:06 PM

??

Sep 21, 2021, 3:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Well, good to see you finally agree

Sep 22, 2021, 12:34 AM

that it's a developing QB and OL.

Sep 21, 2021, 3:21 PM

Lmk when the participation trophies are handed out so I can be a soccer mom and jump up and down.

Sep 21, 2021, 3:37 PM

Wow. Tough crowd.

Sep 21, 2021, 4:10 PM

100% agree with the coaches!!

Sep 22, 2021, 12:58 AM

WHAT COACHES?? We don’t have any on the offensive line ir offense!!!!

Sep 21, 2021, 4:15 PM

Tigers need to improve more than a little bit Coach Elliot!

Sep 21, 2021, 4:18 PM

I wonder if the "Bucknutt" version of Tigernet has as many whining "Karens" as we have on our board........just asking for a true Tiger Fan.

Sep 21, 2021, 4:28 PM

I'm quite sure they do.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Sep 21, 2021, 4:34 PM

Why are all the coaches and players defending Tate specifically? I do not analyze the offensive lines for a living nor have I ever played the position, but he does not jump out on the screen as the only liability on the line. Are a majority of the mistakes on him to the point that they feel the need to defend him or are they just using him as a scapegoat?

Sep 21, 2021, 7:56 PM

He had some glaring "misses" - aka he didn't block anyone. And the guy he should have blocked made the play behind the line of scrimmage. The 4th & 2 shuttle pass when he was the pulling guard is one example.

Sep 22, 2021, 8:06 AM

Yeah, he had several missed assignments, stands around a lot and is watching the game go on a lot of times, and he had 2 false starts during the GT game. That is all in one game. Here is my thing though. I agree with all the coaches and Bockhorst, it is incredibly hard to ask a true freshman to do what we are asking him to do. What is the deal with all the other guys we have recruited to play OL? I know some have injuries, but surely not all of them! What is the deal with Mayes (4star), Rayburn (4star), Tchio(4star), Tucker (4star), and Howard (3star). All of these guys are older than Tate and have been with the program longer. On top of that I purposely left out Tayquan Johnson, Trotter, and John Williams because they have mentioned them having injuries. I'm just really confused on if we missed on recruiting that many guys??? How is a True Freshman who is messing up a ton in the games that much better than all of these guys???

Come on, TNet News. You need to come up with a more

Sep 21, 2021, 4:56 PM

imaginative headline than that. Everything in that headline is just like saying "Water is wet, and dark follows daytime." Elliot needs to get a clue and tell us about HOW he is going to ACCOMPLISH these improvements, instead of just parroting the problems back to us.

Now, I know that things may not actually be as bad as has been shown the first two games. (I discount SC State High School.) But, claiming that we are "just a couple plays away", or we really didn't stink it up against GT sounds suspiciously like "The Emperor's New Clothes".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2021, 5:19 PM

I just watched the condensed game, we moved the ball but the fumble by DJ was a score killer, the 4 & 2 that should have been 4th & 1/2 a yard where the pulling guard opened the floodgates by going to wide cost us two touchdowns or at least scores.

We have to get better but we caused our own issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

They had Spring camp and Fall camp

Sep 21, 2021, 5:30 PM

How much time do they need? Generational QB’s and ETN covered a lot of coaching errors.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No O has 100% perfect execution, but others still score more

Sep 21, 2021, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays ]

NIU (1 turnover) & Kennesaw State (3 turnovers), with their 2-star rosters scored more on GT in Atlanta than Clemson scored on GT in Death Valley.

Clemson was the only Top 25 team to score 14 points or less last weekend despite a massive talent advantage over GT.

Clemson is 105th nationally in scoring offense despite playing SCST & GT.

GT is 38th in scoring defense, despite playing NIU, Kennesaw St, & Clemson, so it's not like GT is a defensive powerhouse.

Blame the 4-star roster for not perfectly executing Elliott's brilliant vanilla offense, and blame that big meanie GT DC for running a defensive scheme that GT only uses occasionally.

Sep 21, 2021, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays ]

I agree. And that is what the coaches and players are talking about when they say we are close. Those 2 plays might be the difference between a 6 point win and a 20 point win.

Sep 21, 2021, 6:07 PM

What moran would think DJ needs to be benched?

Sep 21, 2021, 6:20 PM

Don't recall anyone saying benched. Just pull him a series or two for adjustments. But then they had a 2 hour halftime.

Although, I disagree because it might really break what little confidence he has. Granted, some of the plays are on the receiver but not the passes that aren't even in the same zipcode.

Dabo will have no choice if dju5 continues to not hit the throws. I got a feeling we'll see State try to force him to beat us throwing.

Sep 21, 2021, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Elliott: O-line has to get better, QB still learning, need more explosive plays ]

There are a lot on Youtube wanting DJ benched. Just go to any Clemson Youtube videos from last weeks game and read the comments!

Message was edited by: usarmyshreve®

Sep 21, 2021, 6:57 PM

I know it’s easy for coaches to throw the oline under the bus but how many sacks did they give up the last two weeks….0

And how was the passing game…awful

Cliffs Notes - Oops I dont have TL or ETN or Rogers anymore

Sep 21, 2021, 7:58 PM

So my complete crap of a scheme, failure to adjust, and utter lack of imagination no longer works.

Sep 21, 2021, 8:05 PM

Here's my Tuesday evening quarterback analysis (ymmv if it's worth anything). When GT went with 3 down linemen we needed to stop running RPO plays because our guards have to pass protect in case you throw the ball. We should have called more designed run only plays with the center and tackles winning their 1v1 matchups and the guards able to fire off the line and hit the 2 GT ILB's. Run it between the tackles until they adjust.

It doesn't seem that DJ does pre-snap play-checks like TL/DW

Sep 21, 2021, 9:26 PM

I don't know if the coaches don't trust DJ to check out of the play-calls or if DJ is just not doing it, but it seemed like TL and DW4 checked the play-call at the LOS all the time or made the right decision on RPOs and ZRs. For as much as Elliott & Dabo whined about GT dropping 8 into coverage, there were lots of times when GT put 8 in the box but we ran straight into a loaded box and got stuffed rather than checking to a pass play or choosing pass on an RPO.

Re: It doesn't seem that DJ does pre-snap play-checks like TL/DW

Sep 22, 2021, 10:05 AM

OK, here’s the thing. If you are not doing your check downs, which I agree DJ is not, then why are we not running fast. In other words going with the play that’s called in and snapping it with 25 seconds on the play clock? If nothing else, that will wear a defense down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, blaming the OL. That's internet poster level.***

Sep 21, 2021, 9:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all due respect to Coach Elliott

Sep 21, 2021, 10:20 PM

At least half of Together members could have told him that.

Additional comment - better plays in the ted zone and not handing off in our own end zone against an all out rush.

Fix all of those things and we'll be fine.

Stretch plays are needed, even if there are some incomplete passes and maybe even a long pick on 3rd down.

Sep 21, 2021, 10:22 PM

Wow. Blame everyone else and accept none. If everyone reporting to and playing for you isn't getting it done, when does the light bulb turn on? TE please step up and accept responsibility, and then either fix it or step aside. Accountability isn't just for everyone else.

Much of Clemson loves you as a man of character and as a great recruiter. Let's add coach to that list by evolving your play calling. We used to do more with less, and now that we have more, our offensive performance is just unbelievable.

Sep 22, 2021, 12:51 AM

Who gives a crap about what TE is saying? He can’t even read what plays to call once he saw what the GT defense was doing? He said he never saw that formation but he didn’t even know how to change his strategy play book. It’s happened time & time again. He needs to go. You can see in his eyes he’s not invested. And if Dabo can’t see that he needs to go too! Time for a change. They’re paid too much money to call plays fir a game that help our team. And all these Clemson fans that are down on everybody for being critical of coaching staff need to shut up. If you’re making 2 million a year anywhere & you’re not performing then you need to go. And DJ doesn’t have anyone to help him get his feet right for throwing balls & that’s got to do with a good coach & Dabo certainly doesn’t know offense or defense. Pathetic

Sep 22, 2021, 12:51 AM

Who gives a crap about what TE is saying? He can’t even read what plays to call once he saw what the GT defense was doing? He said he never saw that formation but he didn’t even know how to change his strategy play book. It’s happened time & time again. He needs to go. You can see in his eyes he’s not invested. And if Dabo can’t see that he needs to go too! Time for a change. They’re paid too much money to call plays fir a game that help our team. And all these Clemson fans that are down on everybody for being critical of coaching staff need to shut up. If you’re making 2 million a year anywhere & you’re not performing then you need to go. And DJ doesn’t have anyone to help him get his feet right for throwing balls & that’s got to do with a good coach & Dabo certainly doesn’t know offense or defense. Pathetic

Sep 22, 2021, 4:49 AM

So, let’s fire Elliott and Caldwell, tell Dabo how to be a head coach (since he’s so bad at it), ask Tnet how to run the ball and pass the ball, and when all else fails, ##### and moan about everything.

Great plan, folks.

Sep 22, 2021, 9:14 AM

Almost all fans are decrying the offense excessivly at this point in the season, and so do I. But if we're so critical of it now, how will we feel, when they lose 2 or 3 more games this season? My gosh! What is forthcoming? Or even worse, what great bowl are we in, if we go 6-6? If there is soon no improvement in the offense, staff and otherwise, expect disaster. So, it is experience we need? Consider, as the season moves, so are our opponents garnering experience, too. The defense, alone, cannot win games for us forever.

Sep 22, 2021, 10:13 AM

I’d certainly rather not have to bench a starting QB either. Give him the ball to start with against NC State and if he can’t move the team down the field, next man up. We are in a position where we can’t afford to lose another game and make the playoffs. We simply cannot afford to let that slip away while 5 “develops”. It’s not personal, it’s business.?????

Sep 22, 2021, 11:59 AM

What’s wrong with going with backup quarterback? He has been in the system longer than the starter and executes better than starter as well!

Sep 22, 2021, 12:11 PM

Should have been given the backup some time!

Sep 22, 2021, 12:37 PM

I believe TE knows what he is doing, much more than armchair coordinators. And to question Dabo as a coach after all the things he has done makes wonder about the sanity of some fans. For God's sake, Be Still and let the storm pass. Dabo has made adjustments since he got here and if needed, he will make another one. Even if Dabo was not happy with TE,changing right now could be a huge disaster.
I seem to remember Danny Ford teams of the 80s struggling early in the season and then playing spectacularly at the end. The goal now, is to try and hold serve until we get in sync. We have a defense that can help. So again, let's be still and let the storm pass. Trust the process.

One caveat, I will say I am not a big fan of hiring legends like Spiller. He's a wonderful human being and everyone loves him, but what happens if he can't cut it as a coach? Bad situation. Double edged sword. Just one mans opinion. There are many out there.

Feeling Bad for Coach Elliott

Sep 22, 2021, 12:44 PM

When he is averaging 42.5 ppg he gets criticized. Top 10 offense last few seasons. A few National championships!
Sure Coach Scott was there - but last year w/o coach Scott the Clemson offense averaged 40 plus.

Even when something is done and done well - nobody gives this man credit for it. Now that the offense is faltering - it's more of the same just louder and a bit more disrespectful to a Clemson alum and two time National Championship winning play caller!

Say it was the talent? Then how can you ignore the talent "now"? Specifically on the OL.

Say it was Scott? Why no call-outs to Coach Streeter then?

Because it's a proven formula that has beaten the best programs out there and coaches(Meyer and Saban).

To be clear - I think the offense is totally horrible to this point. But, Tony Elliott doesn't hire the QB Coach or the OL Coach! He only works with who the HC determines will hold those spots.

That being the case - Dabo has done nothing that says, "this won't be figured out"! I think it will get figured out and we will all look back at this and hopefully are able to laugh about it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2021, 1:52 PM

"It is what it is" is a saying I hate.

It is ---- "what we plan for it to be", "what we work toward it being", "what we make corrections for it to be", and finally " what we will it to be".

My career was in contracting, and I had many encounters with owners,engineers,contractors,subcontractors,and suppliers whose mantra was "it is what it is". I was successful by fighting this attitude for 40+ years.

Figure it out Tony and "GO TIGERS"

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic