Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bat flip
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 3850

Bat flip

Jun 12, 2024, 8:31 AM

One way to stop adding tension between baseball teams is to stop the bat flip, regardless of which dugout the batter is in front of. It sets a tone of bad sportsmanship. Hit ball, drop bat at plate and run. Stop it from little league to high school to college,,,,everywhere. Warn both teams before the first pitch is ever thrown. If not, then allow the next the next pitch to be aimed at the ear hole, not the elbow. I recall watching a few of those in the past. Quite the attention getter. Great athletes shouldn’t have to show the opposition up. I’m sure neg feedback is coming so have at it! Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bat flip

Jun 12, 2024, 8:48 AM

Since this is on the FB board, I'll add that my sentiment is the same for DLs running downfield to flex after a TFL or sack so everybody can see them in all their glory.

It's terrible sportsmanship.

Jun 12, 2024, 10:10 AM

Jeesh. Bored police. Here’s my standard response: Studies show grammar/board police have deficiencies in three of the big five personality traits (citation link below).

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-pick-up-grammar-mistakes-jerks-scientists-find

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 11:13 AM

No, I'm not a self-appointed "bored" policeman, but I do wish that you would research and report on the type of personality defect that causes some to point out the pointing out of grammatical mistakes by some by others.... :)

Surely there's some sort of similarity..... :)

Jun 12, 2024, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Bat flip ]

OneJedi® said:

Jeesh. Bored police. Here’s my standard response: Studies show grammar/board police have deficiencies in three of the big five personality traits (citation link below).

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-pick-up-grammar-mistakes-jerks-scientists-find

I know that guy pictured in the linked article.

Jun 12, 2024, 8:53 AM

I'm willing to admit the play that got the coaches thrown out was not a "flip". It was a SLAM. As soon as he did it I thought...uh-oh...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 8:55 AM

Mole, Yup, I thought the same.

Jun 12, 2024, 8:59 AM

agree. Need the cut out the other 'pre-planned' antics as well. Most folks like to watch the gameplay, not players acting like the gorilla exhibit at the zoo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's like the only way to celebrate in baseball***

Jun 12, 2024, 9:17 AM

Re: it's like the only way to celebrate in baseball***

Jun 12, 2024, 9:18 AM

Celebrate after the game.

Re: it's like the only way to celebrate in baseball***

Jun 12, 2024, 10:03 AM

yep, be exited and yell during the good/great play. The 'showoff bat flip/slam' is just a look at me moment. Funny, that celebration is moot and will be forgotten as the game was lost later that inning. Florida had the 'real' celebration at the end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try to find a replay of Cannerella's immediate reaction after the 9th inning HR

Jun 12, 2024, 9:22 AM

Classic

Jun 12, 2024, 9:25 AM

Yes, let's take all things that's fun in sports out like in all work and no play, and let's get them back to loving the game. It's just a bat flip that doesn't cause any harm unless someone is just weak minded...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 9:48 AM

I like the ear hole thought!

GO TIGERS!!!

It would be more interesting if the batter has to carry the bat around the bases

Jun 12, 2024, 9:53 AM

Sliding into home would be fun

Jun 12, 2024, 10:05 AM

I agree. I played semi pro ball until I was 27. I never celebrated a home run except one time. A super mouthy pitcher wouldn’t shut up. I hit a tape measure bomb and carried the bat halfway to first doing my best Ric Flair impression (Wooooooo!) and spiked the bat towards my dugout. The ump said the only reason he didn’t toss me was because the pitcher had it coming. I’d hit a double or triple and it was business as usual. No dancing. No celebration moves at all. I’d say let’s go (insert name or number here), keep it going! Players should act like they’ve been there before. I did the same thing in football, make a tackle or score and just hand the ball to the ref. Sure, I’d give high fives on my way to the bench. But I never “showed out” as a player.

Message was edited by: OneJedi® thanks to ducking autocorrect

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 10:24 AM

Agree with everything in this thread. No sportsmanship anymore. Was asking the other day - why after a routine double do the players act like they just win the World Series with a walk off? Never seen so much look at me BS after something you’re supposed to do once in a while as a baseball player.

Jun 12, 2024, 10:35 AM

I told a friend years ago, that the total lack of sportsmanship and outlandish behavior began with Professional Wrestling and has filtered throughout society in general. It is a shame. It was a much better country when we treated each other with respect and wouldn't think of bringing attention on ourselves. Where did you go, Joe Dimaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 10:35 AM

Jeez heaven forbid kids/ young adults have fun playing a GAME. some of y’all never fail to prove how pretentious you can be.

Jun 12, 2024, 10:51 AM

Surveyingtiger

But you would scream to the High Heaveans about bullying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 11:18 AM

Depends on how severe but that’s way off topic. Are you really equating a bat flip to bullying. I don’t even know what to say about that because to me that’s like comparing diamonds and sand.

Jun 12, 2024, 7:19 PM

Should Austin Gordon be kicked out for his reaction to Cam's great catch?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately I agree, only because the "flip" or "slam" is met with resistance

Jun 13, 2024, 9:09 AM

from the umpires who watch the players/dugout like hawks these days.

No fun, just be robots. 18 to 22 year old kids should be emotionless and act stoic in all situations no matter how big the moment....What a load of BS, let the kids play and have fun as long as it is not directed toward opponent or harmful to anyone.

I noticed toward the end of the season all the umpiring crews pretty much went out of their way to enforce the dumbest rules. Obertop ejection for bat flip was terrible, especially a day after a L'Ville player basically taunted every single infielder as he rounded the bases.

Ban the bat "toss/flip/slam" and also ban the pitchers prancing around the mound after a strikeout. Several opponents including Florida seem to do this often.

If batters can enjoy the moment, then why should a pitcher.

Take all the fun out of the game, which is already boring to non-enthusiast...thus making it hard to grow the fan base of collegiate or MLB baseball.

Re: Unfortunately I agree, only because the "flip" or "slam" is met with resistance

Jun 13, 2024, 11:26 AM

This! they think college baseball is still largely unfollowed like it was in the 90s and early 2000s. When in reality, the game has grown tremendously thanks to the "unsportsmanlike actions." no one is going to baseball games in suits and ties anymore. It's a completely different game. Either get on board, or step aside and let the kids play how they want to. If you boomers didn't notice, baseball was dying after the steroid era. It needed some excitement to get people back into it. If it didn't evolve it would have been dead like the wnba

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or! Or!

Jun 13, 2024, 11:19 AM

Maybe we can get rid of these stupid and outdated "unwritten rules" of baseball. I played baseball all the way from little league to college. And I can say that imo, those "rules" are so stupid and they more often than not lead to more tension between teams than anything. I've seen guys almost square up over accidentally touching the dirt in the pitchers mound, while jogging back to the dugout. So stupid.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 3850
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic