Clemson's ACC Baseball Tournament Notes
|Monday, May 22, 2017 11:18 PM-|
CLEMSON, S.C. - The Tigers head to Louisville, Ky., for the 44th ACC Tournament as the No. 5 seed.
TOURNAMENT SETUP • Who (Tuesday) - Duke (28-27) vs. Clemson (39-17) • Who (Friday) - Clemson (39-17) vs. Virginia (41-13) • Rankings - DUK - NR; UVA - No. 11 BA, No. 11 CB, No. 10 USA; CU - No. 17 BA, No. 17 CB, No. 14 USA • When - Tuesday (7 p.m.), Friday (11 a.m.) • Where - Louisville, Ky. (Louisville Slugger Field) • Watch - RSN, ACC Network Extra (subject to blackout) • Video Announcers - Nick Belmonte, Tom Werme • Listen - TigerCast, Clemson Tiger Sports Network
• Who (Tuesday) - Duke (28-27) vs. Clemson (39-17)
• Who (Friday) - Clemson (39-17) vs. Virginia (41-13)
• Rankings - DUK - NR; UVA - No. 11 BA, No. 11 CB, No. 10 USA; CU - No. 17 BA, No. 17 CB, No. 14 USA
• When - Tuesday (7 p.m.), Friday (11 a.m.)
• Where - Louisville, Ky. (Louisville Slugger Field)
• Watch - RSN, ACC Network Extra (subject to blackout)
• Video Announcers - Nick Belmonte, Tom Werme
• Listen - TigerCast, Clemson Tiger Sports Network
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - ClemsonBaseball
SERIES HISTORY (DUKE)
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 130-68-2 (1904-2016)
• Record at Neutral - Duke leads 13-11 (1904-2014)
• Record in ACC Tournament - Clemson leads 9-4 (1978-14)
SERIES HISTORY (VIRGINIA)
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 107-53 (1955-17)
• Record at Neutral - Clemson leads 11-8 (1973-16)
• Record in ACC Tournament - Clemson leads 11-8 (1973-16)
• Tuesday - LHP Mitch Stallings (DUK) vs. LHP Charlie Barnes (CU)
• Friday - TBA (CU) vs. TBA (UVA)
• Clemson lost two of three games at NC State last weekend despite outscoring the Wolfpack 27-21 in the series.
• The Tigers are averaging 6.4 runs per game and hitting .289 with a .390 on-base percentage and 48 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 3.44 ERA, .252 opponents’ batting average and 3.92 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .970.
• Duke is led by fifth-year head coach Chris Pollard.
• The Blue Devils lost two of three games at North Carolina. They are hitting .273 and have a 4.90 ERA and .973 fielding percentage.
• Jimmy Herron is hitting .326 with 38 RBIs and 17 steals, while Griffin Conine is batting .307 with 13 homers, 56 RBIs and nine steals.
• Virginia is led by 14th-year head coach Brian O'Connor.
• The Cavaliers won two of three games at Georgia Tech last weekend. They are hitting .325 and have a 4.11 ERA and .975 fielding percentage.
• Adam Haseley is hitting .400 with 14 homers, 53 RBIs and 10 steals, while Pavin Smith is batting .348 with 12 homers and 70 RBIs.
• Clemson's 39 regular-season wins tied for its most since the 2006 team totaled 43 regular-season victories.
• The Tigers scored 23 runs on 20 hits, 14 walks and a hit-by-pitch in the last 10 innings at NC State.
• Clemson has just two losses by 5+ runs and 16 wins by 5+ runs in 2017. Twelve of the Tigers' 17 losses have been by two runs or less.
TIGERS TO PLAY IN 44TH ACC TOURNEY
• Clemson (39-17), the No. 5 seed, opens its ACC Tournament by playing No. 9 seed Duke (28-27) on Tuesday at 7 p.m., on RSN.
• The Tigers will be the designated home team and occupy the third-base dugout on Tuesday.
• The Tigers play No. 4 seed Virginia (41-13) on Friday at 11 a.m., on RSN.
• Clemson will be the designated visiting team and occupy the first-base dugout on Friday.
• The games will be played at Louisville Slugger Field in Louisville, Ky.
• It is the first time the ACC Baseball Tournament is held in Louisville.
• The 2017 tourney has a new format, with four three-team pools. The winner of each pool advances to a four-team, single-elimination tourney.
• The format, in its first year, features four three-team pools that guarantees the 12 teams play a minimum of two games.
• Pool A is comprised of No. 1 seed Louisville, No. 8 seed Florida State and No. 12 seed Notre Dame.
• Pool B is comprised of No. 2 seed North Carolina, No. 7 seed NC State and No. 11 seed Boston College.
• Pool C is comprised of No. 3 seed Wake Forest, No. 6 seed Miami (Fla.) and No. 10 seed Georgia Tech.
• Pool D is comprised of No. 4 seed Virginia, No. 5 seed Clemson and No. 9 seed Duke.
• The ACC Championship Game on Sunday at noon on ESPN2, and the winner of the game receives an automatic bid into the 2017 NCAA Tournament.
• All of Clemson’s ACC Tournament games are broadcast live on the radio by Clemson Tiger Sports Network.
• Live stats are available at ClemsonTigers.com for all Tiger games.
CLEMSON’S ACC TOURNAMENT HISTORY
• This is the 44th ACC Tournament, and Clemson has been to the finals in 22 of the previous 43 tournaments, nine more than any other school.
• Clemson has won an ACC-high nine 10 ACC Tournament titles in history, including 2016, when it beat Florida State 18-13 in the title game.
• Clemson’s 10 ACC Tournament titles came in 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 2006 and 2016.
• Clemson has a 110-68 record (.618) in ACC Tournament games. The Tigers also have the most All-ACC Tournament selections (60) in history.
• Clemson is one of only two teams to play in all 44 ACC Tournaments. The Tigers join Virginia as the only teams to play in every ACC Tourney.
• Only Florida State (64.3) has a better winning percentage than Clemson (61.8) in ACC Tournament play.
• The ACC Tournament began in 1973 and has been held every year but one (1979) since then.
SIX TIGERS NAMED TO ALL-ACC TEAM
• Reed Rohlman (OF) earned First-Team All-ACC honors in 2017 after being named Second-Team All-ACC as a freshman in 2015.
• Logan Davidson (SS) earned All-ACC Freshman honors.
• Clemson's six selections tied for third most in the ACC.
GRIFFITH COMING ON LATE IN SEASON
• Freshman righthander Owen Griffith did not make his first appearance until March 19 and made his second appearance on April 7.
• He has emerged as one of the top pitchers out of the bullpen, as he has allowed one earned run (0.90 ERA) in 10.0 innings pitched in 2017.
• He has allowed five hits (.147 opponents' batting average) overall and no hits in 17 at-bats with runners on base in 10 relief appearances.
• He has stranded all eight of his inherited runners on base in 2017.