Tigers Meet Penn St In ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- Clemson and Penn State will meet in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge for the first time since the 2002-03 season, but the fourth time in the seven years of the event. Clemson has a 2-1 lead in the overall series with Penn State and in the ACC vs. Big Ten Challenge.
- Both head coaches in this game are 0-2 lifetime against the other opponent, but neither coach has represented his current school in the series. Clemson head coach Oliver Purnell was 0-1 against Penn State as head coach at Old Dominion and 0-1 as head coach at Dayton. Ed DeChellis is 0-2 against Clemson and both losses took place while he was the head coach at East Tennessee State.
- Clemson enters this game with a 4-0 record. This is the first time Clemson has been 4-0 since the 2002- 03 season and just the second time since the 1997- 98 season. Clemson has a scoring margin of +28.3 points per game in the first four games, the third best scoring margin through four games in Clemson history. Clemson has won each of its first four games by at least double figures for the first time since the 1995-96 season.
- Like Clemson, Penn State is also undefeated at 3- 0. This is the first time the Nittany Lions have won their first three games since the 1999-00 season. That year Penn State improved to 4-0 with an 85-75 victory over Clemson. They will be trying to duplicate that feat on Tuesday evening.
Clemson has a 4-2 all-time record in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. Clemson is tied for third for the best record among ACC teams in the event. Duke is 6-0 and Wake Forest is 5-1. Clemson, Florida State and NC State are all 4-2.
- The ACC has won the challenge every year it has been held, including by a 7-2 margin each of the last two years. This is the seventh year of the ACCBig Ten Challenge. Penn State has a 1-3 record in the event with the lone victory coming against Clemson during the 1999-00 season.
Both Penn State and Clemson have been efficient when it comes to handling the ball so far this year. Clemson has a 78/62 assist/turnover ratio, while Penn State stands at 67/38.
- Clemson hopes to give the Nittany Lions their biggest test when it comes to handling the basketball. Penn State has committed just 12.7 turnovers per game, while Clemson has forced 24.0 turnovers per game thanks to 16.3 steals per game.
- Clemson has seven players averaging between 8.8 and 11.5 points per game. The Tigers have had four different scoring leaders in the first four games. Akin Akingbala leads the Tiger scorers with an 11.5 average.