Bryan Narcisse likely will get his first start of the year and his third overall start.
Site: Comcast Center (17,950)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011
City: College Park, MD
Time: 2:30 PM
TV: Raycom (Tim Brant, Cory Alexander)
Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Properties
(Pete Yanity, Tim Bourret)
Overall: Maryland leads 87-49
at College Park: Maryland leads 51-10
at Comcast Center: tied 2-2
at Clemson: Clemson leads 35-26
at Littlejohn: Clemson leads 22-19
at Neutral: Maryland leads 10-4
First Meeting: Maryland 45-34
Last Meeting: Maryland, 88-79 at MD, 2009-10
Streak: Clemson has won 7 of the last 10
• Tanner Smith will miss the Clemson at Maryland game on Saturday. He suffered a sprained knee in the most recent game at North Carolina. Bryan Narcisse likely will start in his place, his first start of the year and his third overall start. He last started in Clemson’s win over Butler last year in the 76 Classic in Anaheim. Smith had started 50 consecutive games.
• Narcisse scored 10 points to tie his career-high against UNC and is 8-of-11 from the field in ACC games.
• This will be a homecoming game for Clemson senior center Jerai Grant, who played at DeMatha Catholic High School in Washington, DC. Grant has made 12-16 shots from the field in his career against Maryland. He had 18 points and 12 rebounds in the Tigers win over Maryland last year at Clemson. Grant is now second in Clemson history in career field goal percentage (.599), just ahead of his uncle Horace Grant (.598).
• Clemson had its eight game winning streak snapped at North Carolina, 75-65, this past Tuesday night. Clemson trailed by just one point, 66-65 with three minutes left. The Tigers made just one of their last 14 shots from the field.
• Clemson shot just .352 from the field at North Carolina, hitting just 25-71. The game prior to that in a 25-point win over Georgia Tech, Clemson made 27-of-39 from the field for .692, fourth-best in Clemson history.
• Clemson has held each of its 18 opponents this season under 50 percent in field goal shooting, the longest streak since the 2003-04 team held 21 straight opponents under .500 shooting.
• Demontez Stitt has a 32-to-6 assist-to-turnover ratio since he had knee surgery in December. Stitt is 11-for-20 on three-point shots in four ACC games this year.
• Andre Young has made at least one three-point goal in 19 straight games, including all 18 this season. He is shooting .408 from three this year.
• Clemson Head Coach Brad Brownell is 0-1 vs. Maryland, a 2003 NCAA Tournament loss at the buzzer when he was head coach at UNC Wilmington.