Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ode to Nana
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 7

Ode to Nana

Nov 8, 2022, 8:43 AM

Well fellas, my dear beloved 96 year old Nana finally went to her great reward yesterday. It was well past time, as over the last several years her body had outlived her mind and Covid finally did her in with a resultant stroke that left her bedridden and near-comatose for two years.

Before that though, she was one of those grandmothers/great-grandmothers that I wish everyone could have. She was the loudest voice at every sporting event of my youth. She spoiled my cousins and me, and later our kids completely rotten--she was (quite wrongly yet admirably) convinced none of us could do any wrong. She could make country style steak and gravy that would make James Beard weep with joy. More than anything, she embodied an old-fashioned sense of family---blood truly is thicker than water and it was everything to her---if you were a member of her family, no matter what you did for a hobby or profession, you were the best at it in her mind and she loved you unconditionally.

There's an old joke about "let me be the person my dog thinks I am". In honor of her, I'll tweak it and continue trying to be the person my Nana thought I was. Probably never reach it, but it's a blessing to have someone in your life that thinks of you that way nonetheless. Rest in Peace Nana, and thank you for everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know you will honor her legacy

Nov 8, 2022, 8:45 AM

RIP Nana

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Ditto that.

Nov 8, 2022, 9:05 AM

So sorry for your loss Obed®.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ts & Ps. My granny also passed at 96

Nov 8, 2022, 8:47 AM

Mine made awesome biscuits and gravy and drove Pop around!

Message was edited by: bengaline®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear.***

Nov 8, 2022, 8:48 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still thank God for my parents and grandparent who are...

Nov 8, 2022, 8:48 AM

long gone. I know my parents' flaws better than those of my grandparents' but I continue to thank God for what they contributed to my raising. Both my grandmothers were perfect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang bo, right in the feels.

Nov 8, 2022, 8:51 AM

Makes me miss all my grand and great grand peeps. Continued enjoyment of memories with her onward!

RIP Nana. My Nana lived a healthy 93 years which seems too

Nov 8, 2022, 8:54 AM

short. Your description was VERY MUCH like my Nana. We could do no wrong and neither could the Tigers.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP. Sounds like she lived a good life.***

Nov 8, 2022, 8:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nana seems like a hip, hip lady, man

Nov 8, 2022, 8:56 AM

A life well lived.

Sorry for your loss, Obed.

Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 AM

I know things can get rough in the final years, near the end, but the wisdom gained in 90+ years on this earth is irreplaceable and almost always underappreciated, and when it's gone we are all worse off, especially when it was a kind, genuinely good person to boot. R.I.P. Obed's Nana.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Sorry for your loss, man. Nana sounds like a special one.

Nov 8, 2022, 9:20 AM

prayers up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP Nana. Ts and Ps to you and your family.***

Nov 8, 2022, 9:29 AM

Sorry brother***

Nov 8, 2022, 9:30 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Sorry for your loss

Nov 8, 2022, 9:42 AM

tell your pop I'm thinking of y'all

Will do bud, thanks.***

Nov 8, 2022, 9:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP***

Nov 8, 2022, 9:43 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a tough thing to lose the old matriarchs and

Nov 8, 2022, 9:47 AM

patriarchs of the family, especially the ones who took that role to heart.

My grandparents were great people all around (well, my maternal grandmother was a bit of an eccentric), and they loved all of the grandchildren.

May Nana receive her final rest and reward in all its glory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Agreed absolutely. I'm fortunate in that my grandfather

Nov 8, 2022, 9:59 AM

(her husband) is still alive and relatively well. Also 96 and although the mind is slipping just a touch, we still have a great time together. Hard to believe they celebrated 73 years of marriage this year.

Re: It's a tough thing to lose the old matriarchs and

Nov 8, 2022, 11:04 AM [ in reply to It's a tough thing to lose the old matriarchs and ]

and if their passing doesn't stir within us a desire to step into our new roles, something is wrong with us. They can never be replaced, but they showed us what to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers for your family!

Nov 8, 2022, 9:58 AM

Sounds like a truly wonderful lady.

prayers for you and your family***

Nov 8, 2022, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always pegged you as older than me.

Nov 8, 2022, 11:22 AM

I got one Gram at 96 and the other passed at 95.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I am.

Nov 8, 2022, 11:35 AM

Probably not many 48 year olds left with grandparents still kicking. They had my mom in their early 20's and my parents had me in my early 20's.

sorry for you loss

Nov 8, 2022, 11:33 AM

my mom was like that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Ode to Nana

Nov 8, 2022, 11:54 AM

That was a very nice e tribute. Like many have stated it reminded them of their grand mother. You have a lot of memories to cherish.

Sorry for your loss, and prayers for your family.

Sorry, Obed. Sounds like a life lived well***

Nov 8, 2022, 12:19 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now I know why I like you!

Nov 8, 2022, 12:34 PM

~ 7spotsNana (call her granny for short)

Love you brObed.

Ts & Ps for the obed fam

Nov 8, 2022, 12:53 PM

RIP Nana

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ode to Nana

Nov 17, 2022, 3:19 PM

Sorry to hear that, man. I'm glad you got to have her for much longer than most. Ain't nothing like a Nana in the kitchen cookin' up country-style steak and gravy and the like.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Sorry for your loss. Keep those great memories fresh.

Nov 17, 2022, 3:23 PM

Sharing with your family all you can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 7
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic