Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
an inconvenient truth for Senate Democrats
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

an inconvenient truth for Senate Democrats

Oct 21, 2020, 1:47 PM

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/21/amy-coney-barrett-poll-430632

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh....confirm her unanimously.

Oct 21, 2020, 1:49 PM

Then add 4 more judges next year.

We aren't going to let this ignorant blimp in history aka Trump and his cult delay the progress so many have fought for over the last century.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Meh....confirm her unanimously.

Oct 21, 2020, 2:06 PM

Then add 5 more in 2024 and 6 more in 2028 and so on until the Court has no credibility whatsoever. Great idea.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would, say, 17 judges, have less credibility than 9?

Oct 21, 2020, 2:14 PM

I'm not advocating for that, I'm just curious what's so magical about 9 and the credibility it supposedly conveys, moreso than other numbers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would, say, 17 judges, have less credibility than 9?

Oct 21, 2020, 2:18 PM

Because they'd obviously be added to gain majorities in political ideology, and if one side did it, so would the other. Judge Judy would end up with more credibility.

But gaming and cheating the system to accomplish that

Oct 21, 2020, 2:28 PM

exact same outcome is okay? The GOP has begun this process already it seems.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

gaming and cheating the system. you've clearly been

Oct 21, 2020, 2:31 PM

listening to too many penumbras and emanations. Earl Warren called, he wants his Court back!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But gaming and cheating the system to accomplish that

Oct 21, 2020, 2:37 PM [ in reply to But gaming and cheating the system to accomplish that ]

Filling a newly vacated seat is 'gaming and cheating'? Who knew?

Oct 21, 2020, 3:18 PM

Not taking a hearing in 2016 due to "election year" then in 2020 about-facing and rushing a pick in after voting is already underway in an election year is gaming and cheating the system, yes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's called politics, bro***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:21 PM

Re: that's called politics, bro***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:25 PM

and gaming and cheating, cuz.

Re: that's called politics, bro***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:32 PM [ in reply to that's called politics, bro*** ]

Well, the GOP should not be surprised when the Donkeys "politics" back.

I personally thought it was stupid of McConnell and showed incredibly short-term thinking and no concept that it was going to start an endless wave of reprisals.

I really don't understand why McConnell felt so compelled to do it. Any kind of advantage you get that way just gets wiped out when the other side takes over...and they always do, in our system. The guy is going to go down in history as another Joe McCarthy, a blight on the institution...and probably even more reviled for the damage he did to it. Even his fellow Republicans secretly despise McConnell and especially the way he sort of hijacked the entire old dealmaking/collaborative "we're the adults here" tenor the Senate used to have. Historically the Senate always saved the histrionics and BS for the House and very much considered themselves the senior statesmen of Washington.

Only time will really tell if that spirit ever returns. America surely needs it to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: But gaming and cheating the system to accomplish that ]

It's worked that way for decades. If the Senate is held by the same party as the Prez, election year confirmations proceed. If not, they don't.

Oct 21, 2020, 5:57 PM

You are just pulling that out of your (or McConnell's) butt. The historical records do not show that at all.

Romans would try cases to hundreds of judges

Oct 21, 2020, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Why would, say, 17 judges, have less credibility than 9? ]

that's the logical outcome of court packing.

Didn't they have the greatest empire in the history of the

Oct 21, 2020, 2:21 PM

planet? Or was their downfall attributed to court packing?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

their system would work but only if

Oct 21, 2020, 2:23 PM

we could enslave the nations we conquer.

Re: an inconvenient truth for Senate Democrats

Oct 21, 2020, 1:51 PM

I'm part of that majority. Getting her on the Court removes the situation as an issue from the 2020 election.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Chuck Schumer wears a onesie and sucks

Oct 21, 2020, 2:29 PM

On a pacifier?

Everyone knows that. No biggie

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?

Oct 21, 2020, 3:34 PM

I think she's a horrible judge, but I also think she should be confirmed because that's the way it's supposed to work. By going along with the confirmation, they make it easier to point out GOP's hypocrisy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why?

Oct 21, 2020, 4:53 PM

Do you know Judge Barrett? Virtually all her fellow SCOTUS clerks, students and the entire Notre Dame law school faculty support her nomination. These people are not all textualists by any means. How is she terrible? Is it because she is unfair and has a history of not respectfully considering both sides? Or is it because she is a textualist and you support judges who divine the law themselves without adhering to the actual law? The law then is somewhat whimsical and grounded in what a judge thinks the law should be rather than what it is. Who are some legal experts who think Barrett would be a terrible judge based on her demeanor, intelligence and decency? Is she terrible because she doesn't fit your bill of being an activist judge advancing causes that have no legislation behind them? If so, fine-but on her character, intelligence and demeanor I fail to see how she would be terrible. I thought it was especially rich that two white women were hectoring Lindsey Graham in Reagan Airport for supporting Barrett this week. One then made the statement that Barrett was a racist. So, someone who takes 2 black children out of the hellish country of Haiti and gives them a loving home is a racist. If that's so, we need more racists. Personally, I think Barrett will surprise some folks with some of her decisions. I would personally feel very comfortable being before this judge. I respect your opinion, but am curious exactly what would make her such a disaster.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you made a coherent post and laid out

Oct 21, 2020, 4:56 PM

a great position.

You will never get a true response. Sorry man, welcome to P&R

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2020, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why? ]

First off, it's true that I do not generally agree with textualists, but that is because I think they're all hypocrites. They seem to have no trouble interpreting the intentions of laws when it comes to things like the 2nd amendment: this means we have to look at HOW they interpret the law to really draw any conclusions. When I look at Judge Barrett's history of ruling that the n-word doesn't create a hostile work environment or that a prison is not responsible for a guard that rapes an inmate, I can't help but think that she may not be out to protect the most vulnerable. And no, she is not universally respected by her peers:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2020/10/14/hundreds-of-notre-dame-faculty-sign-letters-opposing-amy-coney-barrett-nomination/#23b9b9ab6d8f

Oct 21, 2020, 5:50 PM

Well, I doubt all textualists are hypocrites. I looked through the Forbes list of ND profs opposing Barrett. I take it as ? fact that there are Law School professors on record as opposing Barrett, but the list seems to show these are undergraduate and grad school professors. I may have missed one, but I do not see a ND Law School professor's name on the letter. I am certainly not shocked that a large group of primarily liberal arts professors would oppose Barrett. If indeed there are several ND law professors who signed onto the letter opposing Barrett, they would be her peers. The individuals I see listed are not her peers. I respect your opinion, but feel the country would be better served to have Congress legislate to protect those that need protecting. If they fail to do so, I personally am against judges essentially making law or worse yet the President making executive decisions(making law) regardless of how noble the cause may be.

Oct 21, 2020, 6:13 PM

Ah yes, the old legal maxim of "gee golly I wish you guys were protected by the law, if only I had the ability to help you, but I don't so go #### yourselves." This is the kind of cowardly hypocritical bs I was talking about.

Oct 21, 2020, 7:04 PM

cac2011® said:

Ah yes, the old legal maxim of "gee golly I wish you guys were protected by the law, if only I had the ability to help you, but I don't so go #### yourselves." This is the kind of cowardly hypocritical bs I was talking about.

Well, just have to disagree with you. I guess we don’t really need legislators if we have judges ready to right all the wrongs of the country. I think Congress is cowardly not to assert their power.

Oct 21, 2020, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Why? ]

Do you still think the GOP cares about their own hypocrisy ??

Re: an inconvenient truth for Senate Democrats

Oct 21, 2020, 5:53 PM

Alex,

If you are going to pay attention to polls:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/most-americans-want-to-wait-until-after-the-election-to-fill-the-supreme-court-vacancy/

Why not make every registered voter a Supreme Court Justice

Oct 21, 2020, 8:10 PM

and every case subject to a national referendum?

The existing Supreme Court is nothing but a assembly of political hacks feigning legal knowledge and objectivity.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic