»
Topic: Starting a separate thread for this: "generational players"
Replies: 8   Last Post: May 18, 2018 11:07 AM by: CU2013®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 8  

Starting a separate thread for this: "generational players"

[4]
Posted: May 16, 2018 2:02 PM

Came up in an earlier thread here :https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/So-the-stars-aligned-for-you-one-year-23501565

I have noticed how many outsiders point to our 2016 National Championship and say "Well yeah but that was only because you had DeShaun Watson"

Um, I'm sorry...but what? Are these people suggesting that it wasn't fair that we had the best player in college football and he helped us win it all?

I love how people point to a team having a "generational" player as if it's a flaw or something. That's part of recruiting at the highest level - having elite talent

So what, our championship means less because we happened to have a superstar player at the most important position? You really think we would have won it all with Watson and a bunch of scrubs around him?

Do people slight UGA's distant national championship season because they had a generational player in Herschel Walker? Obviously Texas doesn't beat USC without Vince Young, and no way Auburn goes undefeated without Cam Newton. But it's not like these guys won their titles entirely on their own. There's no way in #### we even make the playoffs in 2015 or 2016 with the offensive or defensive line of Duke or Wake Forest.

Just a silly argument that butthurt fans of other teams make.

That is all, end rant.

2018 purple level member

what gets me is that all these people say that we only won

[3]
Posted: May 16, 2018 2:07 PM

the natty in '16 because of watson yet they gave the heisman to lamar jackson. what a joke!

Re: Starting a separate thread for this....

[3]
Posted: May 16, 2018 2:08 PM

The stars aligned and they didn't play... Well anyone really all year long and then OKLA decided to put a leash on Baker Mayfield in overtime and Auburn had a real choke in the SEC championship after absolutely throttling them in the regular season... The SEC had 2-3 good teams last year UGA being one of them and they lost to the other 2, but lets not pretend this is a regular occurrence for them like their fans seem to. We're nearing a decade of 10 wins in a row or more second only to Alabama in the most wins in the past 4 years (by 1), UGA isn't but their fans believe they've always been the powerhouse they were last year and I don't need to waste anymore time explaining that because only time can really tell which way they're trending after last years great season for them.

I agree with your assessment. It’s a very stupid argument from very jealous people.***

[3]
Posted: May 16, 2018 2:12 PM

military_donation.jpg

Re: Starting a separate thread for this: "generational players"

[2]
Posted: May 16, 2018 2:24 PM

You either have a generational type player (Watson, Newton, Winston, etc.) who pushes you over the hump or you have team full of them (Bama, OSU) who consistently put you in position for greatness.

We climbed up the hill and it was Watson who pushed us to the top, but I would argue while winning that championship Clemson became the type of program where one great player no longer stands out in the crowd.

null

Yep, we were also lucky.

[2]
Posted: May 16, 2018 3:09 PM

And both statements are true. I don't know if we win with another qb.. DW is special. I believe his leadership, not just his fb skills, are what got us the elusive trophy.

We were also lucky.. it takes breaks all year whether a clang off an upright or talking about health. I'd argue Bama won in 15 because they were healthy and we weren't. Imagine having Mac in the def backfield or MW catching balls.

So yes.. we won with a generational player, and it took some luck to get there. It always does. However, it takes a well built program to sustain. 3 playoffs in 3 years tells me it's about more than DW.

Go Tigers!

2018 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

null

Not sure why you’re so sensitive over this

Posted: May 16, 2018 6:49 PM

... or why you are reading too much into it (after all, you are referring to a post I made). I never mentioned or even hinted that having a generational player was a flaw. That’s something you completely fabricated in your mind. Heck, I even said right there in the same dad-gum post “hats off to you guys”. Seriously dude, you need to get a grip. When you fly off the handle like this, it makes you look paranoid and insecure.

Yes, you had a generational player who was the piece that put you over the top that year. Do you think you win the NC with that same team with pretty much any other QB you’ve had in recent memory? Maybe so, but the reality is probably not. He was likely the difference in several of your games that year - Aub, FSU, NCSt, Louisville, VaTech, Bama. So my statement holds - you had a good team with a generational player and some luck sprinkled in. That’s what it takes for most teams to win the MNC. The stars aligned for you. With many of the same pieces back last year, without Watson your offense was completely ineffective against a very similar Bama team.

Sensitive?

Posted: May 17, 2018 12:10 PM

Who's acting sensitive? I'd hardly call creating a separate thread for the sake of discussion on an internet discussion board "flying off the handle." Perhaps you are the one that's overreacting? In my response, I even included a ";)" face to show that my tone was meant in a light-hearted manner, just as you had been doing that entire thread. What's the matter mutt, you can dish it out but you can't take it??

I just found it interesting, considering I have heard the same thing from several different fan bases about Watson and the 2016 team, and usually the comment is made in a derogatory manner as a way to slight us winning the championship. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but I can tell you that I've had several conversations with other folks that DID. Unfortunately, your response was the one that sparked the new thread, since it was recent and relevant. So...I guess I'm sorry for hurting your feelings? As we like to say around here, "Lighten up, Francis!"

To your point, of course we wouldn't have won it all without Watson that year. Heck, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs either year without him. I think any Clemson fan without orange-tinted glasses would readily admit that.

2018 purple level member

PS -

Posted: May 18, 2018 11:07 AM

If I were "paranoid" and "insecure," I'd probably be off hanging around another team's message board....amirite, RedDawg? :)

2018 purple level member

Replies: 8  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: NC State
FOR SALE: Two tickets TDM Row O Seats 25 and 27.... Also parking pass Lot 21 Number 228. $ 325 All. Text ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
887 people have read this post