Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone attend the Stones' CU show @ DV in '89?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Anyone attend the Stones' CU show @ DV in '89?

Jan 17, 2019, 3:47 AM

The Rolling Stones brought their "Steel Wheels" tour to Clemson 30 years ago this Nov. I was there - when they were just "kids," ages 46-49. It was a pretty big deal & media referred to them as "the old men of rock-'n'-roll" - even then.

30 years later in 2019, they're bringing another stadium tour to the U.S., only this time it's only 13 cities - including Miami's Hard Rock & the Gator in Jacksonville. They also play the Rose Bowl & Levi Stadium in Santa Clara.

They've been together for 57 years & have no plans to retire. Mick Jagger will be a month shy of 76 when the U.S. tour ends in June - drummer Charlie Watts will be 78.

The '89 show in D.Valley was good & the crowd was enthusiastic. Looking back on it later, the Stones said Clemson wasn't one of their favorite shows in '89, for whatever reason. It wasn't the crowd - maybe having to stay in Greenville & helicoptering to DV about 8 hours before the show...don't know.

Anybody else old enough to have seen it in '89? If so, wondered what your thoughts are, 30 years later.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone attend the Stones' CU show @ DV in '89?

Jan 17, 2019, 3:53 AM

"Steel Wheels" tour quote;

"The Rolling Stones used to sing for social change. Now they sing for Budweiser."

- Dennis Miller

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2019, 4:19 AM

Social change doesn't pay for those 40 trailers of show stuff they had to haul around for that tour .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I didn't go on purpose.

Jan 17, 2019, 5:29 AM

My ex wanted to go but I'd just graduated and we had a house full of kids. Money was tight so I told her if she could name 5 RS songs I'd approve the spending. She named two. I named five off the top of my head and she quit asking. I never was much for the Stones. I'm a Moody Blues type guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2019, 5:35 AM

I was there and I remember in the days before watching the set being built. Was a great concert.

Opening act was Living Colour and they did pretty well themselves

https://youtu.be/7xxgRUyzgs0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

(Raises hand) ..... I was there. Amazing show & I’m not a

Jan 17, 2019, 6:09 AM

huge Stones fan.

Living Colour was awesome as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 17, 2019, 6:14 AM

I was there. It was a Sunday if I remember cotrectly. Saw Punk Floyd a few years later. Also saw Widespread Panic and Ozzy w/ Alice In Chains at Littlejohn.

Jan 17, 2019, 6:29 AM

It was indeed on a Sunday-the last day of Thanksgiving break...

Awesome show and tour. I was there!***

Jan 17, 2019, 6:33 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2019, 6:36 AM

The wife went as a church concessionaire... She had an all access pass and was offered $$$$$ several times. She used it herself to wander around during a break... But the anecdote is that during a potty break, she was in a stall when "Paint it black" kicked in... The bass was so deep that the concrete and steel were visibly vibrating...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

was there. don't forget Living Colour.***

Jan 17, 2019, 6:38 AM

I was there, but recollection is fuzzy

Jan 17, 2019, 6:44 AM

I do remember that a buddy of mine got himself arrested twice in one day!

Jan 17, 2019, 6:53 AM

I was there, stage was in the West endzone. They had a giant blow up doll that inflated during Honky Tonk Woman. Also went to Pink Floyd in DV around that same time

Jan 17, 2019, 7:07 AM

I saw it in New Orleans which I think was a week before DV.

Jan 17, 2019, 7:12 AM

Yes I was there. Good times!

Jan 17, 2019, 7:14 AM

I remember a massive keg party before the concert behind the Esso.

Jan 17, 2019, 7:14 AM

i was there. awesome show

I was there. Never heard they didn't like it.

Jan 17, 2019, 7:25 AM

OTOH, Bono said he loved DV when U2 played.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw the Stones in MB in 1976

Jan 17, 2019, 7:37 AM

one of the many reasons why I love living here

Re: I saw the Stones in MB in 1976

Jan 17, 2019, 7:47 AM

Myrtle Beach was '78. 1800 people in the Convention Center! I saw them twice in 1975 and '78 was a huge improvement in sound and performance. Saw them in DV and 2015 at Carter Finley! Don't think I'll make Jacksonville, going to McCartney and ELO with my oldest son.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a great show!***

Jan 17, 2019, 7:41 AM

Stones, Eagles and Elton John/Billy Joel in DV

Jan 17, 2019, 7:51 AM

Stones were great, Eagles sucked and the EJ/BJ concert was the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stones, Eagles and Elton John/Billy Joel in DV

Jan 17, 2019, 8:16 AM

UH EAGLES DID NOT SUCK. THEY WERE THE EAGLES. SAME AS EVERY SHOW. AWESOME.

Re: Stones, Eagles and Elton John/Billy Joel in DV

Jan 17, 2019, 8:35 AM

I hate the ###### eagles man

Remember it well

Jan 17, 2019, 8:15 AM

Wasn't' able to attend (seems like it was around Thanksgiving weekend) but I remember all the trailers in the lot behind DV and watching the stage go up from my dorm in Johnstone. I also remember seeing people camped out all the way down to the pit waiting to get tickets, I guess.

Tickets were $32/ea as I recall and I thought that was a lot back then! "I'm not paying $32 to see a bunch of old men prance around stage!" Well, now I'm older than they were then, so - they weren't old! Tickets now will probably start around $120 for them!

I heard Living Colour put on a great show. They're still one of my favorite late 80s/early 90s acts. We had some good concerts at Clemson back when I was there (87-91). Great times!

Re: Remember it well

Jan 17, 2019, 10:15 AM

I had promotional tickets through work (freebies) just center left on row 12. Good show with some newer old stuff added. 1st time in a while for "Paint It Black" & maybe 1st ever for "Factory Girl."

My brother had never seen them, so I asked if he wanted to go. Big fan, so he said, "Of course." He lived near Atlanta & I came from G-ville & met him there, finally! Awful traffic from G-ville to CU - so bad I missed L.C. We had to stand on our chairs the whole time. Sound was so big, I thought the bass was going to affect my heart rhythm. Later found out Stones use a 3-million watt PA for those stadium shows!

Also saw Elton/Billy Joel there - good show too.

Saw Stones at their peak in '72 at old Charlotte Coliseum. Pushed our way up to very front of stage, about 6-8 feet from Jagger. Best show I ever saw & best version of Stones - Mick Taylor on guitar - & warm-up act was Stevie Wonder! I know 2 guys who met their wives-to-be @ that show!

My wife and I made the trip from Spartanburg and it took

Jan 17, 2019, 8:20 AM

forever; not much traffic control because of Hugo I believe(?). We parked close to Calhoun Courts walked to the stadium and Living Colour had already started their set. Remember it being a good concert but not much else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there...sat on about the 50 yard line. It was held....

Jan 17, 2019, 8:25 AM

on November 26,1989. Its ironic that it my wife and I had our 6th anniversary that day and neither one of us remembered it what special day it was. About three weeks later we were at a Christmas party in Asheville, where we live, and someone said something about their anniversary and I looked at my wife and said, "guess what we forgot 3 weeks ago which was also the day of the Stones concert?" Thank God she also forgot about it as divorce would have surely been imminent if only I had forgotten about it! It was an awesome concert and Billy Joel and Elton John's Face to Face concert 5 years later in April of 1994, was as good.

We should all appreciate what a good job that the SC Highway Patrol does getting traffic out of Clemson after a game as it was not well orchestrated for the Stones concert and it took us 2 hours to get out of Clemson. We got back to Asheville at 3 am!

Jan 17, 2019, 8:27 AM

I was there for the Steel Wheels tour. It's still my favorite concert at Clemson.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I was there !!!***

Jan 17, 2019, 9:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 17, 2019, 9:10 AM

First time seeing Stones was in Gator Bowl in 76
Next time was the Steel Wheels tour in Carter Finley
Then in Death Valley at this show. Had nose bleeds but someone in the SLOW traffic was selling field level seats out the window of their car on 123. Bought two and were on about the 20th row dead center in front of the stage. Dang. What a SHOW!!

no, but I did see the Eagles in Death Valley June of 96...

Jan 17, 2019, 9:11 AM

and it was awesome....

Jan 17, 2019, 9:12 AM

Yes, my wife and I came up and stayed with an old roomate in Seneca. We couldn't get tickets and didn't want to pay the scalper price. We resigned to just spending the evening in Seneca with our friends and we were watching the news, and this breaking news announcement came on and they said there were extra tickets available on the field due to the stage not being as big as initially thought. We jumped in the car and went to the stadium. Was able to get two tickets for about $22 apiece and sat 4 rows back from the loudest freaking wall of speakers known to mankind. Great show, but couldn't hear for 3 days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this concert was a big deal

Jan 17, 2019, 9:26 AM

People traveled to Clemson from all over to attend. Traffic was backed-up until early in the morning.

Sold my tickets when the demand went sky high

Jan 17, 2019, 9:35 AM

before they released more seating and made a nice profit. I watched it from outside the stadium for a while.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jan 17, 2019, 9:37 AM

I was there. Great show. I saw 3 shows on thwt tour (long story), DC , Ga Tech, and Death Valley . Clemson show stood out for sure. What an experience, other than the traffic and drive back to Atlanta !

Jan 17, 2019, 9:39 AM

there is at least one song from the show on the Flashpoint live album, btw

Somewhat fuzzy but a very good time. Living Colour opened

Jan 17, 2019, 9:45 AM

and was better a good opening act. Friend of mine drove me from her apartment to the show on a scooter. Traffic sucked, not the usual HP for games and I guess a lot of folks not used to getting around in Clemson. Wish I had gotten a shirt I saw that said "I got Stoned at the Valley". Saw it way outside but nowhere near the stadium.

yeah man, show was awesome***

Jan 17, 2019, 10:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I worked security

Jan 17, 2019, 10:11 AM

for the show at Bobby Dodd stadium in Atlanta. Almost had a riot there because of the gates letting people in at the wrong sides/levels. That part was a nightmare but the show was awesome. Living Colour was phenomenal too but their sound was off (not their fault) Good times....

Jan 17, 2019, 10:18 AM

I was still a student and worked the show. I got lucky as the area I was supposed to watch over ended up being the VIP section. I was surrounded by State Troopers and Clemson Police. So all I did was watch the show from about 20 yds away.

Jan 17, 2019, 10:19 AM

Camped out for a week at the old Radio Shack building for tickets. That was as fun as the concert.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic