Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Using Bama's logic that Dabo should be their next coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Using Bama's logic that Dabo should be their next coach

Aug 5, 2017, 10:32 AM

because he is Alabama-born, Bama-bred, and a Bama ex-player and alum...well that same logic means that Saban should leave immediately because he has no business coaching there.

He should be the WVU coach because he was born and raised in West Virginia.

He should be the Kent State coach because he is an ex-player and alum of Kent State.

Bama? He is not a "one of theirs," according to Bama fans' logic.

So if Bama fans think, "Well, we're different because we are the greatest of all time, and who wouldn't want to be a Bama coach?"

Well,

1. Were it not for Saban, Bama likely would have remained mediocre to good (ilo great); and
2. That gets us back to the many reasons why Dabo would want to continue to build, sustain, and protect HIS budding program because the greatness of a program is so largely dependent on its leaders.

I don't know if Dabo would leave or not, but Bama fans' argument is not valid as it is based purely on a double standard.

In an interesting post by Clemson81to85 here, https://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1712025&tstart=0 , "Alabama (10 titles) went 17 years from 1992 to 2009 without winning one." And without Saban, they well could still be going strong without another title, which would be...25 years.

They seem to miss...ignore...all of that important stuff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what they are missing ----

Aug 5, 2017, 12:05 PM

is that Dabo "starting" to build a dynasty in Clemson, and I can say that we will win another one in the next 3 years, AT LEAST. Not to mention all of the upgrades to the facilities, etc...So he built his empire here at Clemson and his kids are here and so forth.

So what benefit he will gain in going to Alabama? It is already built with two greats in the Bear and Saban. He is not following anyone here and in my opinion, he surpassed Danny's achievements. So if he get the trophy here a couple of times, Dabo will be a legend at Clemson. He is already special but having the trophy here few more years will cement him as a Clemson 'legend'.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: what they are missing ----

Aug 5, 2017, 12:24 PM

Yup.

I dunno why they think he'd leave the dynasty and legacy he built here to go be the caretaker of somebody else's dynasty and legacy.

He was able to get the buy-in of Clemson's AD and administration when he took over, too, and successfully built his own culture here at Clemson. Alabama's culture is now thoroughly entrenched, thoroughly embedded...and was built by Nick Saban (not Gene Stallings or any of the other guys who Dabo used to work for) and is very, very different than the one that exists at Clemson.

Alabama is a football factory utterly devoted to winning football games, with all other considerations being secondary. Period.

Clemson's culture under Dabo is about developing the whole person, and about doing right by the young men in the program even at the expense of convenience or clearing a roster spot that might otherwise be used by a more talented football player.

I just don't see those two worldviews co-existing at Alabama, and the second he loses a few more games than he should at Bama, Dabo's seat would be scalding hot. His rope is going to be way longer here at Clemson.

Alabama will undoubtedly break the bank to get him...but I do not know that he'd bite. I certainly wouldn't wanna follow Saban - it's an absolute no-win gig - and I doubt Dabo would either. If you win following Saban, you're just maintaining what he built, and if you lose, it's because you weren't as good as Saban was. Whereas at Clemson he's the architect and single greatest coach in the history of our program already and will just add to his legacy with each successful season he has here.

^^^^This^^^^

Aug 5, 2017, 12:34 PM

Good post. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what they are missing ----

Aug 5, 2017, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: what they are missing ---- ]

If he does leave, Jeff Scott will do great.

No worries.

IMO, it would be tough to turn down 15 million a year and a chance to get a statue planted in your homeland. JMO

Go Tigers!

???

I love Dabo and he is a lifelong Tiger now but

Aug 5, 2017, 12:17 PM

Alabama fans believe they can buy Dabo if Sabah leaves. I'm sure they can afford to pay more than we can but I don't believe Dabo would go for any kind of money. They ignore us when we say he will stay at Clemson because they believe he can be bought but we all know Dabo isn't about the money with the money he has given his assistants and Clemson University!

He's a keeper!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Not worried about losing Dabo when Saban leaves BUT very

Aug 5, 2017, 12:47 PM

worried about him leaving for Bama if Saban's successor fails and leaves after 3 years or so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not worried about losing Dabo when Saban leaves BUT very

Aug 5, 2017, 1:15 PM

> worried about him leaving for Bama if Saban's
> successor fails and leaves after 3 years or so.

Maybe. But that's likely to be 5 years or more from now. The college football landscape has a way of shifting radically in timeframes like that.

Heck, anybody who had suggested, just five years ago - this was the 2012 season, where we were coming off a 70-33 blowout at the hands of West Virginia just that January - that Clemson would be defending national champs, having shut out Ohio State 31-0 and then defeating Alabama in a playoff that didn't even exist in 2012 would have been soundly laughed out of the building. I would have probably joined in myself.

CFB is weird. Five years from now, the discussion will likely be utterly different.

Re: Using Bama's logic that Dabo should be their next coach

Aug 5, 2017, 1:42 PM

Between Dabo and his wife, they have 4 degrees from Alabama. Dabo grew up a fanboy for Alabama. When he was a kid, he saw Bear Bryant and Alabama dominate the college football world. The university of Alabama was his start that got him to where he is today.

The Bama AD could take him out to the walk of champions and ask him if he wants a statue next to Gene Stallings, Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. For a Bama man at heart, that would be tough to turn down.

Then there's also the famous Bear Bryant quote that every Bama fan knows...

When asked why Bryant left a successful A&M program... "I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running."

Re: Using Bama's logic that Dabo should be their next coach

Aug 5, 2017, 5:33 PM

> Between Dabo and his wife, they have 4 degrees from
> Alabama. Dabo grew up a fanboy for Alabama. When
> he was a kid, he saw Bear Bryant and Alabama dominate
> the college football world. The university of
> Alabama was his start that got him to where he is
> today.
>
> The Bama AD could take him out to the walk of
> champions and ask him if he wants a statue next to
> Gene Stallings, Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. For a
> Bama man at heart, that would be tough to turn down.
>
>
> Then there's also the famous Bear Bryant quote that
> every Bama fan knows...
>
> When asked why Bryant left a successful A&M
> program... "I left Texas A&M because my school
> called me. Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you
> just have to come running."

Remember also that Bama once fired him and he had to wander around in the hinterlands of real estate afterward, out of coaching. I doubt he's forgotten, even if you guys have.

What he's built at Clemson is his. At Alabama he'd be just a hired employee again.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic