Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wake forest should not be in the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Wake forest should not be in the ACC

Nov 7, 2014, 8:42 PM

Attendance for Wake is pathetic. Watching Wyoming tonight and they have more fans in the rain than Wake. Wake is too small for the ACC. I would rather have East Carolina than Wake

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wake forest should not be in the ACC

Nov 7, 2014, 9:01 PM

Perhaps you are correct but they are not going to get kicked out of the conference just like their conferences will not kick out Northwestern or Vanderbilt. For that matter why is Army competing at the highest level of NCAA football? It is no longer 1945-46 and Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis are not on their team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2014, 12:44 AM

Yeah....Army needs to drop a level. They have (along with the other Service Academies) have the best student-athletes in college sports but they can't recruit with the likes of the elite teams in college football

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wake forest has been around a long time and is not going

Nov 7, 2014, 9:07 PM

anywhere. They will not be kicked out nor should they.

The other conferences have their charity cases.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:08 PM

At least Dook is pulling their weight these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have heard of teams leaving but being kicked

Nov 7, 2014, 9:17 PM

out is a new one. If I have a choice, I would rather have another team from a different state. We have too many from NC and they all terrible.. Don't know who though and wishful thinking for ND to be here fulltime.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Nov 7, 2014, 9:21 PM

The problem with ECU is their students couldn't get accepted into the UNC AFAM program. Not an ACC school.

Nov 8, 2014, 8:11 AM

all you have to have to get into lville is a pulse. be for real, wv would have been a better pick than lville. this is right now more about basketball than football. swofford cares more about roundball than football. remember where he was ad and who he caters to. east Carolina is as good academically as lville. as far as new members, we did not have a whole lot of choices but not to take wv was an epic fail on the part of the acc. by the way wv is pretty good in roundball as well, but would have been so much better in football, remember the orange bowl a few years back?

It's called academics. You know, the whole point of a university.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:52 PM

It's not all about football all the time. Geeze.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Some will never get it.***

Nov 7, 2014, 10:35 PM

It's not about football? For an ATHLETIC conference?***

Nov 8, 2014, 10:45 AM [ in reply to It's called academics. You know, the whole point of a university. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

What about their good basketball history?***

Nov 7, 2014, 10:39 PM

It's history.***

Nov 8, 2014, 12:10 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2014, 12:38 AM

really Clemson, FSU, VT, Miami, and maybe Louisville should be in another conference and the rest of the ACC should be paired up with the American and Conference USA as one conference.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scouting them for the 2021 showdown, ay?

Nov 8, 2014, 1:26 AM

Learn anything?

Re: Scouting them for the 2021 showdown, ay?

Nov 8, 2014, 1:44 AM

> Learn anything?

yep. Bovine Excrement Smell is rampant on their sideline...

I'm afraid you'd find a host of Clemson people who are

Nov 8, 2014, 5:25 AM

highly supportive of Wake's membership, for they have generally been pretty good friends with Clemson over the years.

Additionally, it's highly doubtful the ACC is going to be completely laden with football powers. A review will show you that Wake has given us fits on the gridiron at times, and they are certainly highly respectable academically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree and also think Duke doesnt belong and fact that they

Nov 8, 2014, 9:55 AM

Are in first in the coastal over VT GT UNC UVA is an embarrassment to those programs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: agree and also think Duke doesnt belong and fact that they

Nov 8, 2014, 10:09 AM

Duke being #1 in the coastal just shows how biased the media is against the ACC, how is it embarrassing to have Duke leading the coastal, but it shows SEC dominance when a team like Miss St. with an almost equal history in football is leading the west?

Kicking Duke out of the ACC would be HOF stupid.***

Nov 8, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to agree and also think Duke doesnt belong and fact that they ]

Duke has a national following in basketball. Wake has

Nov 8, 2014, 12:23 PM [ in reply to agree and also think Duke doesnt belong and fact that they ]

Nothing

No question Wake is a fine institution, and they've

Nov 8, 2014, 10:33 AM

been supportive of Clemson in the past. None of that changes the fact that the college athletics landscape has simply passed them by at the top level and there's really nothing they will be able to do to bridge that gap on a facilities, organization, and support side.

Offer them a buyout with MD's severance $, arrange for them to be in a Group of 5 where they belong, maintain a rotation of ACC OOC games in FB and BB, and find a more suitable replacement. Wake's leadership could very well be behind such a move - it's brutally expensive to compete in an ACC. Faculty and supporters already ripped the administration for spending millions on a new stadium tower - they'll only have to funnel more money, without the benefit of a sizable alumni or endowment to back it up, to not fall farther behind in the years ahead.

I feel the ground is ripe for all parties involved to benefit from a such a move in the near term.

Re: No question Wake is a fine institution, and they've

Nov 8, 2014, 11:33 AM

Not knocking your post, but Wake's endowment is over 1 billion dollars. I'd have to say that's fairly sizable, especially given the size of the school.

Academic endowment, sure.

Nov 8, 2014, 11:52 AM

Washington & Lee has that same amount with 1/3 of the students, so it's not that unusual. That money's not going to be spent on athletic facilities, nor should it be in Wake Forest's case considering their size and mission.

They're at a crossroads. I don't know that Wake can stomach what it's going to take to keep up.

They need to spend some of it on football if they

Nov 8, 2014, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: No question Wake is a fine institution, and they've ]

Intend to stay in the ACC

Nov 8, 2014, 11:26 AM

I think if you fall in the bottom 2 or 3 in all the power 5 conferences for more than 3 consecutive years. Teams in your conference region should be able to make bids to replace you. They would need to prove they have 33 percent more average at tendency over those years and other things as well.

Once spurrier leaves, USuck would be out of the sec

Nov 8, 2014, 12:33 PM

rather swiftly

Should offer them a chance to leave without a payout

Nov 8, 2014, 11:34 AM

Then go after ECU or WVU,though I believe at this point it's cost a BIG 12 team TOO much to leave.

I don't want anything to do with WVU in the ACC.***

Nov 8, 2014, 11:38 AM

Other than academics, why not?

Nov 8, 2014, 12:21 PM

I know their fans have a rough reputation, but honestly, that is what ACC needs...enthusiasm.

Help broker a deal to replace WVa in the Big XII with BYU.

Nov 8, 2014, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Should offer them a chance to leave without a payout ]

The league is already having to subsidize some of the extra travel costs that West Va introduced. It could be a win/win all around and be a more natural fit for the programs and their respective athletic conferences.

No sense in putting another NC team in should a space open up.

Nov 8, 2014, 11:47 AM

I will agree that we should extend an invite to ECU to join the ACC. But Wake Forest nor any other team should be kicked out.

They should be ashamed of their football attendance but they

Nov 8, 2014, 12:08 PM

have some other good to great programs including basketball (from time to time) and golf. They (and Duke) with all their brain power should be able to find a way to put rear ends in their seats, even if they have to give them away to local kids.

Nov 8, 2014, 12:14 PM

Agree. Wake should be in American, Clemson in sec and Scar and Kentucky in ACC

Umm: Wake has the ACC's only CWS title...

Nov 8, 2014, 12:32 PM

The Deacs have as many ACC football titles in the past eight years as we do.

They've been to more Elite 8s and Finals 4s in hoops than we have.

They've been national soccer champs in the past 8 years.

And they did all this despite their size and while maintaining rigorous academic requirements ... unlike some of their Tobacco Road cousins.

You wish to denigrate the size of their facilities, fine. But don't underestimate the size of their hearts.

They've been in the ACC since the get-go, and for my money (such as it is) they are welcome to stay.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Umm: Wake has the ACC's only CWS title...

Nov 8, 2014, 12:35 PM

Amen Rev, why anyone would want the trashy WVU fans instead of WF is beyond me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather play WVU than Wake, trashy fans or not***

Nov 8, 2014, 12:38 PM

Erskine is 1-0 vs. FSU in football. Times change.

Nov 8, 2014, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Umm: Wake has the ACC's only CWS title... ]

Wake can remain just as competitive in the sports you mention in the AAC, keep a rotation of ACC schools, especially their NC brethren, and do so without having to ramp up their expenditures in athletics.

After the turnout Thursday night, which is not a historical anomaly, I think it's fair to question maybe not their hearts, but certainly their commitment as a fan base and institution.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic