Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How long before regional dialects are dead?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

How long before regional dialects are dead?

Dec 11, 2019, 3:21 PM

Daughter of put on the animated Robin Hood last night.....there are so many distinctive voice actors in that film....you know them the minute you hear them and they make the characters with their unique inflections and dialects. You don’t see that so much anymore. The average animated character sounds like they just came from Nowhereville, Ohio. It’s all the same dialect more or less. Is this just a sign of movie preferences or are dialects drying up?

Here’s a few of the voice actors from RH. If you’ve seen the movie, I bet you know exactly which character they were in an instant.

https://youtu.be/YiG33GyQO3k

https://youtu.be/awV1xpXUrWY

https://youtu.be/c3l09J_h2LM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Here's a great one:

Dec 11, 2019, 3:24 PM

Thurl Ravenscroft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbnH9jNN1I

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John Ratzenberger still gets voice acting gigs.***

Dec 11, 2019, 3:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's Mr Haney, ain't it?***

Dec 11, 2019, 3:37 PM

Oh I don't think they are going away.

Dec 11, 2019, 3:39 PM

Have you watched Live PD?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exaggerated geechee:

Dec 11, 2019, 3:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgHC4wsTJqk

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You go about ate miles down the Ro Ad.****lol***

Dec 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

Exaggerated CSRA:

Dec 11, 2019, 3:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_zh43NRdU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

APM had a great aunt who sounded like Strom. But my grandmom

Dec 11, 2019, 3:55 PM

(her sister) did not. That said, all of my great aunts and my grandmother sounded somewhat like ol' Strom. And they remembered him when he was a young man. My mother never knew him as not being an old man.

Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my peeps.

sniff, sniff...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh. And obviously ol' Skrom liked da sistahs.

Dec 11, 2019, 3:56 PM

We get that honest down in da CSRA.

Ungh.

Smart man! RIP ******

Dec 11, 2019, 4:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she Sound like this?

Dec 11, 2019, 4:00 PM [ in reply to APM had a great aunt who sounded like Strom. But my grandmom ]

https://youtu.be/LyX37cDpCnc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get the title...

Dec 11, 2019, 4:25 PM

It's Cool Hand Luke. Nothing to do with Guns N Roses or the Civil War.

lemme help

Dec 11, 2019, 4:39 PM

Listen to the intro. Well listen to the whole thing if you like musical excellence, but listen to the intro if you want to get the reference.

https://youtu.be/isCh4kCeNYU

My best friend worked for Strom for over 25 years.

Dec 11, 2019, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Exaggerated CSRA: ]

When I was stationed in Germany in the USAF in the early 80s, I visited the Cologne Cathedral (construction started in 1248) with Strom’s entourage when they were over on a visit, and he axed our guide:

“What did they make CEEMENT out of back then?”

This was a legitimate question but my friend and I still axe each other that and crack up.

When I was in high school....

Dec 11, 2019, 4:37 PM

I helped cater meals for Smokey Valley BBQ. We did several meals at Strom Thurmond High. I met Strom. Nice man.

I remember we had somebody in the Lounge that hated Strom. All you did was mention Strom and he would go on a tirade about him.

I partied at Strom’s house once or twice.

Dec 11, 2019, 4:41 PM

His son Paul would throw some ragers....kids getting hammered and who knows what else on one side of the house, Storm supposedly on the other side oblivious to us. Never saw him there though.

Dang, always thought Paul was Mr. Clean.***

Dec 11, 2019, 5:02 PM

He was in HS and I was a freshman at CU.

Dec 11, 2019, 5:09 PM

I’d gone home for the weekend with an Aiken buddy and we went over there. Pretty straightforward HS party. Cheap beer and wine coolers. Don’t recall any hard stuff.

Maryjane?***

Dec 11, 2019, 5:12 PM

If there was, wasn’t nobody sharing.***

Dec 11, 2019, 5:12 PM

Bunch of Aiken pu$$ies like flow.***

Dec 11, 2019, 7:07 PM

I probably know your Aiken buddy, but maybe I don't want to***

Dec 11, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to He was in HS and I was a freshman at CU. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

probably know a lot of em

Dec 11, 2019, 5:55 PM

I had a ton o Aiken friends, HS grad years 91-94

My great uncle was his roommate at Clemson***

Dec 11, 2019, 7:45 PM [ in reply to My best friend worked for Strom for over 25 years. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like Frank Howard***

Dec 11, 2019, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Exaggerated CSRA: ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as long as there are small towns, they will survive

Dec 11, 2019, 3:51 PM

the cities are where it all goes indistinct after a generation or two.

I can tell a Lowcountry dialect from a Gaffney dialect from a Middle Georgia dialect. And a few others like Tennessee, or rural Virginia (think Ward Burton). And if people are from small towns, or cities (that's even easier).

I met a guy the other day and after about 2 minutes of talking to him, I said, "you're from the Lowcountry, aren't you?". Yep, he was from Beaufort.

Hard to define, I couldn't even tell you exactly how, just certain twists on words and phrases.

I don’t know man. You been to Staten Island or Queens lately***

Dec 11, 2019, 4:15 PM

IDK, but I love her voice

Dec 11, 2019, 4:03 PM

https://youtu.be/Jlg8slAYQKg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I fell in love over the phone with a hardware sales girl...

Dec 11, 2019, 4:05 PM

who worked at Pleasant's Hardware in Greenville. Mary sold me all the doors and hardware when I tore out the L&D on the 5th floor of G'ville Memorial and built the doctors oncall stations, private places to sleep during hours.

Mary's accent put me under a witch's spell. I went to Pleasants to visit and see the woman I loved knowing that it would be a let down. While in her office we discussed our origins and our attraction for each other was revealed when we found out we grew up (mostly) within 25 miles of each other.

Well, she was dog ugly and I was married to the maximum so...nada.

Country music will save the south.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where did you grow up?***

Dec 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

Re: Where did you grow up?***

Dec 11, 2019, 6:15 PM

I spent most of my childhood in Rockwood, TN which is a few miles west of Oak Ridge where Mary was from. I felt as if I knew her the minute I heard her speak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see that.***

Dec 11, 2019, 7:06 PM

My favorite regional dialect was from the Robin Hood with

Dec 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

Kevin Costner. The South Jersey dialect flowed seamlessly with the other local South Yorkshire accents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about you dialect

Dec 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

MAH BALLS

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dialects are racist ***

Dec 11, 2019, 4:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's one of the reasons I like talkin' with old folks, they

Dec 11, 2019, 4:44 PM

ain't lost their dialects and speech patterns. Amazing how different somebody from north AL and south AL sound. And lawd knows what people from south LA are talkin' about. Still don't get why some white people in New Orleans sound like they're from NJ, but I think it's cool that most black women there call you "baby" in casual conversation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hop on you wheels and get on down to the sto.*******

Dec 11, 2019, 5:11 PM

There's a pocket in Horry County where they

Dec 11, 2019, 7:54 PM [ in reply to It's one of the reasons I like talkin' with old folks, they ]

liiiiiike to eat niiiiiiice liiiiiiite whiiiiiite riiiiiice at niiiiite. Cracks me up. Only place in SC where you hear that. Then you have the Awthuh Ravunell accent. Then you have Strong Thermos who sounds more like he's from Alabama than anywhere else. Then you have Lewis Grizzard and the Jaw-juh accent. Then you have the geechie folks from Chawstun. Ask them for their phone number and it's shree eeit noin seben fow noin six.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Here’s a few voice actors?

Dec 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

Really, Obed? Really?

what’d I do now***

Dec 11, 2019, 6:12 PM

You’re my guitar and grammar bro.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:54 PM

Although the content of your post is stellar, your sentence sounds like someone else took over in that paragraph...”a few” starts with “a”, but you are talking about more than one actor.

Maybe it are just part of your dialect. ??

As far as dialects go...I am fond of the feminine Raleigh and eastward.
Example: Emily Procter (I first knew of her as Calleigh Duquesne. Thank you, CBS for Calleigh Duquesne).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jiFsELs7H8U

And the best thing to ever come out of Gaffney: Andie MacDowell...quirky, but not too shabby

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sP9IlkMusPw

oh come on, that was just getting colloquial

Dec 11, 2019, 9:59 PM

besides, you ever seen the contraction “here’re”?

you might be on to something

Dec 11, 2019, 6:22 PM

I’ll have my friend check out red tube tomorrow and see if JerseyAccent MILF gets railed by south philly sounding stepson is an option

They're definitely dying.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:44 PM

I've posted the story of Mary, Bernice, and Madeline. Three cooks at our hunting club. Grandmother, daughter, and granddaughter. Mary spoke Gullah, and not Gullah like you've ever heard, but Gullah you couldn't understand at all. Her daughter Bernice spoke Gullah, but you could understand it. The 3rd generation (granddaughter) Madeline, speak s with a slight Gullah accent. It is all but gone.

Then you have the geechie dialects, which are also nearly dead.

OK Boomer***

Dec 11, 2019, 8:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gen X to you

Dec 11, 2019, 10:00 PM

Fajjit..

Re: How long before regional dialects are dead?

Dec 12, 2019, 8:07 AM

Don't want to get too into it, but my biological Dad who I was never that close to owned a bunch of country music radio stations around the US and was also a radio personality in the 60's and 70's. Anyway, he was on HeeHaw once. They have guests on the show and they had him. I was maybe 4 so I don't remember it well, but I went to Grandmas and we all sat around and watched it. Back then being on TV was a bigger deal.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic