Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dems abusing budget reconciliation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Dems abusing budget reconciliation

Apr 7, 2021, 11:14 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dems abusing budget reconciliation

Apr 7, 2021, 11:23 AM

They have an agenda, and all three branches of government, and are using the rules in place to get their stuff passed. Hopefully Manchin, Warner from here in VA, few other Dem senators can use their leverage to cut some of the crap out of the bloated bill, or slow it down and stop it entirely similar to how the effort to repeal ACA failed. Not having a timeline or deadline to pass it will inevitably draw it out some.

All that being said, I think it's miraculous that they aren't suggesting changes to the individual marginal rates to pay for this thing. If it's not in this bill, I don't see how they get an individual tax increase passed using non-reconciliation means. Hopefully they can keep that from happening until 2022 and Republicans stop stepping on their own johnsons and win back congress, then make the Trump individual tax cuts permanent.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2021, 11:31 AM

lol. Counting on Warner to cut out liberal pork

Apr 7, 2021, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Dems abusing budget reconciliation ]

Good one dude

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Abusing" a rule that exists and everyone else uses.

Apr 7, 2021, 11:30 AM

Maybe they wouldn't have to use it if pubs would just support popular legislation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Abusing" a rule that exists and everyone else uses.

Apr 7, 2021, 11:32 AM

Apr 7, 2021, 11:31 AM

Republicans did the same thing in 2017, first using it in an attempt to appeal the ACA and then to pass their tax bill. It's not some groundbreaking revelation that politicians are going to use these types of rules to get their legislative agenda passed.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2021, 11:33 AM

I doubt Manchin and some of the more conservative Dems go for that...at the very least, Joe certainly isn't going to get everything he wants that way. More that likely, stuff's going to get pared down to the bones in those overnight vote-a-thon sessions as Manchin, Sinema, et all start cutting the meat off the bones again.

It'll be a fascinating case study going forwards to see how much of what Joe wants he actually does get. My guess would be if he goes Reconciliation he gets the bare bones - the physical stuff, but probably not the social justice stuff masquerading as infrastructure that's stuffed into the back two-thirds of the bill. Even Roy Blunt from Mizzou was predicting an easy win with a pared-down bill. Probably not much more, really, than if he cut a deal with the moderate 'Pubs.

I wonder if that might actually be the plan...publicly go for the gusto, then cut a last-second deal, and give a big win to the moderate 'Pubs line Romney, Sasse, and Collins, and establish his bona fides as a "bipartisan dealmaker"...because there's just no universe in which I see Biden being able to bully his own moderates to accept Reconciliation for some of the more bloated proposals on the back end of his infrastructure bill. Manchin might as well launch himself out of his seat in West Virginia on a catapult already if he signs something like that.

Apr 7, 2021, 11:35 AM

Apr 7, 2021, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Dems abusing budget reconciliation ]

It'll be interesting if the moderates come up with something in the $1-1.5T range. The problem is the Pubs who aren't going to vote for it no matter what. If they force dems to use reconciliation, it encourages them to throw anything and everything in with the bill.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of the bill is actual infrastructure

Apr 7, 2021, 11:33 AM

but most is not

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some of the bill is actual infrastructure

Apr 7, 2021, 11:45 AM

Ahh... Good 'ole 'Shovel Ready Jobs'.

Now where have I heard that before?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pubs abused Supreme Court Justice nomination and approval.

Apr 7, 2021, 2:24 PM

Filibuster process is an anachronism. Political norms change like the weather.

Move on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pubs abused Supreme Court Justice nomination and approval.

Apr 7, 2021, 2:37 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic