Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Sunday night update: Swinney says Tigers did something not done since 1974
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

TNET: Sunday night update: Swinney says Tigers did something not done since 1974

Nov 7, 2021, 7:11 PM

Sunday night update: Swinney says Tigers did something not done since 1974

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And we got a Pepsi bottle that year

Nov 7, 2021, 7:36 PM

undefeated home season. That was unheard of back then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year

Nov 7, 2021, 7:50 PM

I still have my 1974 Pepsi bottle. It was my senior year at Clemson.

And, maybe this dispels the tiny rumor that our team was

Nov 7, 2021, 7:56 PM

splintered relationship-wise due to a few getting image advertising money. Seems they’re on the same page to win.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~this~Thanks LightbulbBill***

Nov 7, 2021, 9:05 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sophomore for me. And downhill from there the next two.

Nov 7, 2021, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

Five wins in two years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laurens Glass Company....

Nov 7, 2021, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

manufactured that bottle...it's closed down now. John Hugh Mahon (Product/Packaging) designed it & the '81 Coke bottle. He was a fine Tiger...passed away about 1990. There'll never again be fine commemorative bottles for Clemson sports as those were.

Message was edited by: Tater-Bug®

Message was edited by: Tater-Bug®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2021, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

Gave mine to my daughter, but she still has them out in her Sun room.

Nov 7, 2021, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

I was a senior in ‘74 myself. Lived in married student housing, sat on the hill all the home games. Among those teams we beat that year: Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and the cock-a-doddle-doos. We hadn’t had winning seasons back then. We were 7-4 that year. Today we would have gone to a bowl. But back then, there were few bowls to be invited to. Poor ‘ole coach Red Parker. He may have hung around and seen some glory years. His recruited kids went on to form the ‘77 team. That was a good team in ‘74.

Nov 8, 2021, 5:34 AM [ in reply to Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

It was my junior year and I still have the same Pepsi bottle in my office. I can remember bumper stickers that summer on the cars in Clemson said 7-4 in 1974. It just shows you how low the bar was back then that we were tickled to death if we could go 7-4 and we ended up going 7-4.

I got one - undefeated home season - it's my birth year******

Nov 8, 2021, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

Undefeated at home, but almost totally defeated (1-4) on

Nov 7, 2021, 8:03 PM [ in reply to And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

the road. I do umember the statisticians saying at the time that it was the first time Clemson had beaten Georgia AND Georgia Tech in the same season since 1902.

I also remember Clemson and Georgia Tech Cheerleaders drag racing their school decked out Model A Fords down the field as part of the game festivities. Georgia Tech obviously called theirs the Ramblin' Wreck. I think we just called ours the Clemson Model A. :)

There would probably be thirty eleven prohibitions against doing something like that today. The football might not have been quite as good back then, but the gameday experience was just as good or better. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The team had plastic rings with #1 on it made

Nov 7, 2021, 8:48 PM

#1 in Georgia. That was a big deal then

Re: The team had plastic rings with #1 on it made

Nov 8, 2021, 6:38 PM

Very cool. Never heard that before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Undefeated at home, but almost totally defeated (1-4) on

Nov 7, 2021, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Undefeated at home, but almost totally defeated (1-4) on ]

When did we lose 4 games so far? We are 6-3, with 3 losses vs. UGA (Charlotte), @ NC State, and @ Pitt.

This team doesn't need any help from TNet giving them another L. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2021, 11:07 PM

The 1974 team. Keep up.

Nov 7, 2021, 11:14 PM

Duh. That's embarrassing. Nevermind. lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1974 Pepsi bottles

Nov 7, 2021, 9:57 PM [ in reply to And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

Cleaning out at my parents' house Saturday to put it on the market and we found 4 of those Pepsi bottles!

Daddy was an IPTAY member for almost 70 years after graduating in 1951 and attended 72 consecutive Clemson/South Carolina games! His last in-person game was 2018 because he said that he was never stepping foot in Williams Brice again after the 2017 game!!! He passed away Nov. 23, 2020 on what should have been the Monday of the Clemson/Carolina game, but didn't happen because of the SEC deciding to be jerks. His hearse had Tiger paws down the side and the little Clemson flags on the front of it!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1974 Pepsi bottles

Nov 8, 2021, 6:33 AM

Wow. Now thats a fan. Whens its your time, go out in STYLE!!!

Re: 1974 Pepsi bottles

Nov 8, 2021, 9:07 AM [ in reply to 1974 Pepsi bottles ]

Great story of a fabulous fan! Thanks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2021, 10:06 AM [ in reply to And we got a Pepsi bottle that year ]

I have a 1974 bottle in my pool room.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Swinney says Tigers did something not done since 1974

Nov 7, 2021, 9:10 PM

The hell with your d$@m bottles. You missed the most important message in this story for gosh sakes. Maybe you need to read about the quality of young men we have on this team and stop reminiscing about yourselves. My gosh. Thank you to the young men on this team who are a credit to Clemson. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Swinney says Tigers did something not done since 1974

Nov 7, 2021, 9:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 7, 2021, 9:55 PM

At least give the Bball team a chance to prove themselves.

Hopefully we can beat PC Tuesday

Nov 7, 2021, 10:03 PM

??

Nov 8, 2021, 6:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Swinney says Tigers did something not done since 1974 ]

I could make sooooooo many comments about this one, but im going to leave it alone.

Maybe not

Who let you take a picture if their coot baby? And why did you get that close?
Thats almost as pretty as the coots win total
Heres the next recruit for the coots
Born a coot fan, always a coot fan

Nov 8, 2021, 10:41 AM

My brother went to his first game in 74 , at home vs NC . I don't remember a thing about the 74 season but I was just a kid and we had just moved from NYC to Seneca where my mom is from .But in 75 my brother got us tickets and my first game was the season opener vs Tulane. Never have seen a 74 bottle up close but last time I checked there're on ebay for sale . Might get one .

Nov 8, 2021, 4:50 PM

Mark Fellers was the QB in '74. 1974 was the only winning season in Red Parker's tenure, he won 2 games in '75 and 3 in '76 and as I remember, he thought he deserved another year.

EJ -- Ladson

Nov 12, 2021, 7:31 AM

Maybe it was injuries, but did not understand Ladson starting ahead of EJ early this season.

Next year hope to see healthy EJ, Ngata, and Beaux/Stellato in slot. But let the best man win in all positions.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic