Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simple offensive game plan for Saturday night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Simple offensive game plan for Saturday night

Nov 30, 2022, 5:59 PM

We have three excellent running backs. Run them until the defensive line is exhausted.

We have a quarterback nominally able to run between the tackles. Mix in DJ5 runs with Shipley, Mafah, and Pace.

We have tight ends capable of catching the ball in traffic. Mix in some quick slants to Allen and Briningstool. We have a pretty good slot receiver, so mix in some skinny posts.

Don't waste downs throwing bubble screens and deep jump balls to the sideline.

I really believe if we had done this in the second half against USuC we would have beat them by 2 scores. UNCheat is no better against the run than USuC.

That's my one attempt at coaching the offense. If it doesn't work, I promise to resign after the game.

Go Tigers!

PS-- on defense, pressure Maye unmercifully. He doesn't like being hit. And if we get burned over the top, well, that's no different from what has been happening!

As always, JMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simple offensive game plan for Saturday night

Nov 30, 2022, 6:09 PM

Simple comment. I like that. Now pass it along to our OC. He either follows your plan or we end up playing in some crappy bowl game somewhere before New Years Day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2022, 6:14 PM

Out of the 65-70 plays or so we may get Saturday night, here are the total individual carries/possessions I would like to see:

-Shipley - 20

-Mafah- 15

Pace - 15

DJU (Runs)- 5 or so

A. Williams - at least 5 catches

Brinningstool/Allen - 10 catches

As always, not a coach. Keep it simple stupid. Get the ball to your best players and mitigate any possibility of error where possible.

Nov 30, 2022, 7:22 PM

I see a flaw: in order for A Williams to have 5 catches and Briningstool/Allen to get 10 catches we would have to throw the ball 55 times based on a 27% completion rate. That won’t leave many carries for the running backs on the other 15 plays.

I agree with you but NC knows this too. Or I should say

Nov 30, 2022, 6:16 PM

should expect it. I'm sure they will have tons of guys up close to the line of scrimmage.

It's tough being one-dimensional.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope dju needs that confidence boost

Nov 30, 2022, 6:38 PM

expect a crazy chunk down the field on 3rd and short to catch them off guard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He needs to drink some Boost!

Nov 30, 2022, 8:47 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screen right, screen left, screen right, punt…all night

Nov 30, 2022, 6:48 PM

That’s how you make the big bucks $$$.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's utter bull ####.

Nov 30, 2022, 7:19 PM

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

Nov 30, 2022, 6:51 PM

Just run those 3 backs to the edge. Not up the middle on every first down.

Nov 30, 2022, 8:45 PM

Good idea... run the defense sideline-to-sideline and tire them out faster! Shipley is deceptively quick getting to the corner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2022, 6:51 PM

That’s right, run, run, throw to the tight end, run, run, run, throw to the tight end, run …… score!

Sounds like what our game plan shoulda been

Nov 30, 2022, 7:03 PM

recently…

Put all three in the backfield at one time and have at it

Nov 30, 2022, 7:07 PM

Your plan may work. I agree on pressuring Maye! You get burned, you get burned but keep pressure on him.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Put all three in the backfield at one time and have at it

Nov 30, 2022, 8:48 PM

Yeah. My point is, we're getting burned putting 7 or 8 in coverage, so I doubt we'd get burned any worse by pressuring the QB. The other thing I would do is put Simpson or Carter spying Maye every play.

Controlling the game via runs depends on 1st down gains.

Nov 30, 2022, 7:16 PM

You can't keep pounding it if we get 3 or less yards on 1st downs. Controlling a game via the rushing game is highly contingent on how we do at 1st downs.

Then too, you gotta sometimes break tendencies and hit some shots downfield, or UNC will do exactly what the coots did - stack the box and dare us to throw. At 27.6%, it cost us the game.

At least we know DJ is on a short leash this week. I hope he shows out, but...

Re: Controlling the game via runs depends on 1st down gains.

Nov 30, 2022, 7:33 PM

We were doing much better than that on first down in the first half when we were running outside. In the second half the first down runs were almost exclusively up the middle for little or no gain.

Yup, and we were up 14-0 then 23-14 at half.

Nov 30, 2022, 8:06 PM

The running game wasn't getting 1st downs in the 2nd half, and we resorted to more passes trying to get them out of the box. We didn't change our running scheme in the 2nd half as much as the coots stacked the box and slowed it. Had to pass sometimes even on first down. Several drives were hurt because of running against a stacked box, then being highly unsuccessful at getting passes on time and on target. USuC kept the box stacked the entire 2nd half, and unfortunately DJ couldn't do a darn thing about it.

Re: Yup, and we were up 14-0 then 23-14 at half.

Nov 30, 2022, 8:53 PM

Go back and look at the play selection that someone posted for the 2nd half. Two or three series, we would gain 12-18 yards on running plays and then go pass (inc) - pass (inc) - pass (inc) - punt. I've got no problem with mixing in the pass, especially play-action passes when the running game is working, but the pass play selection was horrible. Of course, with all due respect to the play caller, it was pretty hard to find a pass that DJ could complete (or that the receiver didn't drop).

Re: Yup, and we were up 14-0 then 23-14 at half.

Nov 30, 2022, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Yup, and we were up 14-0 then 23-14 at half. ]

That’s because DJ is not confident in anything he does. He is most confident when he hands it off or it’s a designed QB run. If he has to make a decision in a high pressure situation he crumbles. When he realized that he was going to have to take over the second half after (in his mind) knowing that we would be able to coast out the game running it 95% of the time, he was shocked and unprepared.

It’s like in a golf match when the score leader plans to lay up for the last 9 holes because he knows the course is too difficult for anyone risky to catch him; then a surging young up-and-comer drops 4 to 5 birdies in front of him. He then panics, gets the shanks, and ends up in 5th.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As Coach Ford said

Nov 30, 2022, 7:26 PM

“When you throw the ball, three things can happen and two of them are bad”. Run the dang ball.

Class of '87

Re: As Coach Ford said

Nov 30, 2022, 8:54 PM

Nice quote from the legendary GA Tech coach Bobby Dodd!

Nov 30, 2022, 8:00 PM

Yes. Also, Play action and roll QB out of the pocket.

Nov 30, 2022, 8:56 PM

I would love to see them move the pocket some for DJ to open up lanes. Question is, could he stay on his feet? ?

Nov 30, 2022, 8:49 PM

1st- handoff to Shipley for 5 yards.
2nd- DJ run for 1 yard
3rd- DJ overthrows receiver
4th- Swanson 30yd punt off side of foot

Yeah, I’ve been watching film on this team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2022, 8:58 PM

Sounds like Frank Howard's offense when I was a Freshman ('67): Up the middle, up the middle, pass, punt. It was also called the "Chorus Line Offense": 1-2-3-kick.

Nov 30, 2022, 10:17 PM

Umm, that game plan is an about a week late. Could have EASILY won this past Saturday with Cade running rpo and Shipley/Mafah. Occasional little toss on 3rd and medium. Played right into their hands. Almost like they were calling the plays.

Dec 1, 2022, 1:12 AM

All good points. Where were the exoctic blitz to rattle Spencer Rattler? Wes goodwin decided to only rush 4 and drop 5 and he torched our secondary. They gave him time to scramble out the pocket, buy time, and throw darts. Maye is much more apt to tuck and run.

Good LB play will be critical this Saturday.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic