Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scholarships
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 559

Scholarships

May 24, 2024, 10:57 AM

Has anyone discussed what will happen with scholarships? If players tart making big bucks, I'm assuming if they want to attend school (will they even be required to be enrolled at the school?) they will foot the bill themselves.

Will this open scholarships for more players? The Hunter Renfrow type walk on's getting a chance?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its just like the difference between salary and total compensation in the

May 24, 2024, 11:21 AM

Business world. The 20M payment doesn’t have to be all cash; I’m sure there will be an analysis of fully burdened payroll expenses that include all of the non-cash benefits.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There have been discussion by the powers that be to do away

May 24, 2024, 11:22 AM

with walkons and increase scholarships to like 130.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There have been discussion by the powers that be to do away

May 24, 2024, 11:25 AM

From what I understand scholarship limits will be eliminated in favor of a total roster limit. I guess then no scholarships will even be required. So if no scholarships are required, will enrollment even be required?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scholarships

May 24, 2024, 11:41 AM

There will still be scholarships same as before with perhaps an increase in Bseball and a decrease in football. Details are not yet ironed out. The revenue sharing is not tied to schollies. If you do away with schollies, and pay all the players to play football, they become employees which the colleges do not want.

If the NCAA had not been run by a bunch of idiots with no common sense or business sense all of this could have been avoided. But, no, they were efffing idiots. Couldn't even buy players making you billions of dollars a effffing .15 cent McDonalds hamburger.
All the NCAA HAD to do was pay each player $200 a month. That would have been $20,000 a month for 100 players on schollies. $240,000 a year. And there would have been no federal law suits won since the antitrust laws do not specify how much an employer has to pay. And these were not employers. Now instead of $ 240,000 a year, power 4 colleges will be paying 20 million plus a year. Don't dare buy a kid a .15 cent burger, but it's OK to pay the coach millions.

The colleges deserve exactly what they are getting. They lost all semblance of common sense and fairness to greed. And that greed is why they turned the game over to ESPN and Fox who now determine schedules, game time and conference make up.
I am in favor of players getting as much as they can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mentioned this in another thread.

May 24, 2024, 11:47 AM

I suspect scholarships will eventually be declared as a "benefit" of employment - like health insurance and a retirement program was for me in my working years.

An interesting question will be, "Will the IRS declare the cost of the scholarship as taxable income?"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I mentioned this in another thread.

May 24, 2024, 12:08 PM

Not only the scholarship, but all of the other benefits of playing a sport. Tutors, trainers, food and housing will likely (and should) be taxed also. Pandora’s box is open.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I mentioned this in another thread.

May 24, 2024, 12:47 PM [ in reply to I mentioned this in another thread. ]

They are not employees. They are not going to be considered employees. This is a NIL lawsuit settlement. This revenue sharing will be done under the NIL banner. It just allows schools to directly pay NIL money to players. Not all players will be paid. Just as all players do not currently get NIL deals. Until congress passes legislation exempting the college players from anti trust laws, they will not be considered employees. Colleges do not want that but it should be done as in the pro leagues. Then make the athletes employees and pay them as you do all employees. Some will be paid more just like all employees and coaches. That is going to be the end result. And the money will come from the broadcast rights which will be billions. College football is not going yo be less popular. It will probably become even more popular when you have about 20 teams dominating it. Those will be the best teams. They will attract the viewers. No one will give a ### about seeing the bottom feeders who will be in a G5 nothing league. And will not be spending much on college athletics because no one will care about them. Basketball will be the next target and it will become bigger than it is now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 559
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic