Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New ACC divisions idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

New ACC divisions idea

Jan 26, 2022, 11:04 PM

North Division

North Carolina
NC State
Wake Forest
Duke
Pitt
Boston College
Syracuse

South Division

Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech

I know what y'all are thinking. Why is the North Carolina schools in the North Division. Well...it is NORTH Carolina. But I was trying to keep them all in the same division, and putting them all in the South would put eight teams in the South and six in the north. (and Clemson, GT, FSU & Miami definitely need to be in the South) so that's the only way I could work it with the current programs. And we won't have to see any more Wake vs UNC games out of conference. And I think the southern side would be a much stronger division, which will help Clemson's SOS.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still like the ‘old/new’….

Jan 26, 2022, 11:09 PM

Old School

Clemson
Duke
GT
NCSU
UNC
Virginia
Wake

Newbies

BC
FSU
Louisville
Miami
Pitt
Syracuse
Va. Tech

Re: I still like the ‘old/new’….

Jan 27, 2022, 12:14 AM

Love the idea of ACC - Big East divisions (FSU).

Jan 27, 2022, 10:08 AM [ in reply to I still like the ‘old/new’…. ]

This but split it North/South. It almost works with "real" ACC vs BE BUT there is a huge gape between Florida and the rest of that league. I know that Miami was very happy to get away from the travel demands so keeping them south (as well as FSU) will keep them happy.

South
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, Wake, UNC, Duke, NCSU

North
BC, Cuse, Pitt, ND, UofL, VT, UVA, +1

Or if ND holds out, bump Duke to the Nawth.

Play all divisional games, outside divisions are "OOC" and do not account for standing for the ACC champ (like Wake/UNC this year). Thus only 7 divisional/conference games + 5 OOC/any opp.

Thus if Clemson wants to schedule fewer non-division OOC with other conference, we can.

If UVA want to keep scheduling vs UNC/Duke/Wake etc they can. If Duke want to schedule 5 FCS teams, they can.

Schools up north can schedule more "local" partners and even ND will have five slots to schedule various other traditional games.

Jan 27, 2022, 10:09 AM

I would even say add WVU to the North (although UVA will have a stroke) but hey as long as we don't have to play in their sandbox let the yankees deal with it.

Future I like you idea if they acc two northern teams

Jan 27, 2022, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I still like the ‘old/new’…. ]

But until then I just didn't want to spilt up the NC schools. I also considered the old ACC vs New gus thing, but dang, our schedule would be weaker than a crippled sloth. The old ACC schools other than Clemson just stink. Also would love to keep Virginia and VT together.

United we stand.

Jan 26, 2022, 11:31 PM

Divisioned we fall.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New ACC divisions idea

Jan 27, 2022, 12:39 AM

What I am thinking is you got it all wrong. You move Duke and UNC to the South and Virginia Tech and Louisville to the North!
And you tell Notre Dame to either join or don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on the way out. Then you could invite Cincinnati to join ,put those two schools in the North and move Wake and State back into the South.
( But no way is either Duke ,Wake, State or UNC farther north than either the two Virginia schools or Louisville

"No" division idea

Jan 27, 2022, 1:52 AM

No Division.

Each team agrees on 4 Teams they will play every year. Ideally, rivalry, then history and lastly proximity would all be considered.

Then, they rotate through other 4 teams. Each year those 4 teams change.

For example: Clemson agrees to play FSU, GT and NC State & Wake Forest each year. Then, gets another 4 (Duke, Louisville, Miami & UNC).
Next year, those other 4 might be (Pitt, Syracuse, UVA & VT).
Following year those other 4 might be Duke, Louisville, Pitt & Syracuse)

At the end of the Season, the 2 teams with the best Conference record play in ACC Championship. Tiebreakers are head to head and then in the event of a 3 way tie, the highest ranked teams are chosen.

There are probably a few mistakes here, but this is a quick jab at each school and their 4 rivals...

Boston College - (Syracuse, VT, Miami, Pitt)

Clemson - (FSU, GT and NC State & Wake)

Duke - (UNC, Wake, NC State, UVA)

Georgia Tech - (Clemson, FSU, Louisville, UVA)

Florida State - (Miami, Clemson, GT, Syracuse)

Louisville (GT, Syracuse,) - Got stumped here. Missing someone.

Miami - (FSU, VT, BC, Pitt)

North Carolina (NC State, UVA, Wake, Duke)

NC State - (UNC, Clemson, Duke, Wake)

Pitt - (Syracuse, Miami, BC, VT)

Syracuse - (Pitt, BC, Louisville, FSU)

Virginia - (VT, UNC, Duke, GT)

Virginia Tech - (UVA, Miami, BC, Pitt)

Wake Forest - (Duke, UNC, NC State, Clemson)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kudos for taking the time & effort to do this! I like the concept!

Jan 27, 2022, 4:44 AM

Probably the reason you got stumped on Louisville...it may be mathematically impossible for all 14 teams to play the same four EVERY year. It may have to work out that every 6 or 7 years, a team misses playing one of their assigned four.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kudos for taking the time & effort to do this! I like the concept!

Jan 27, 2022, 5:06 AM

Possibly three like the Big 10 is proposing? Clemson's could be like GT, FSU and Louisville. The 4 N.C.schools could play one another. The problem with that is UNC and UVA will probably want to play their annual rivalry game. (Wine and Cheese sales would go down in those two states some years)

Jan 27, 2022, 9:10 AM

3 annuals work best as it fits our 14 teams and 8 game schedule perfectly. With UNC, they could just pair up with NC State, Duke, and UVA and leave Wake to play 2x every 4, which is far more often than they do with today's division structure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2022, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Kudos for taking the time & effort to do this! I like the concept! ]

Ah, I think you are right on the mathematics after another look at it.

This was close though. Not bad on a first try.

Yeah, I think the 3 team scenario would work. I think Clemson would have to play FSU, GT and probably someone like NC State. Those seem to be our largest historical and/or regional rivals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2022, 12:27 PM

I could really get behind something like this for a 3-team model...

Clem - Ga Tech, NC State, FSU
Ga Tech - Clem, Duke, Louisville
UNC - Duke, NC State, UVA
FSU - Miami, Clem, Syracuse*
Miami - FSU, Pitt, BC
NC State - UNC, Wake, Clem
Duke - UNC, Wake, Ga Tech
Va Tech - UVA, Pitt, Louisville
UVA - Va Tech, UNC, BC
Louisville - Ga Tech, Va Tech, Wake
Wake - NC State, Duke, Louisville
Pitt - Va Tech, Miami, Syracuse
BC - Syracuse, Miami, UVA
Syracuse - BC, Pitt, FSU

* I would put Syracuse and FSU together as kind of a northern / southern edge, plus Syracuse would be a major balk on this if they didn't have something regular enough in Florida. Outside of us and Miami, FSU doesn't have too big of rival left that they would miss out on from a yearly basis.

Re: "No" division idea

Jan 27, 2022, 5:32 AM [ in reply to "No" division idea ]

No. Two divisions. You play the 6 teams in your division + a rotational schedule with the teams in the other division.
Technically you might even play a nine game schedule + 2 OOC games like we did this year.
You could also starting figuring a schedule with one game coming from schools in the BIG 1O and the PAC 12( The new Alliance between the 3 conferences) and add a school like Furman, S.C. State or Citadel to round out a 12 game schedule.

Re: "No" division idea

Jan 27, 2022, 7:26 AM

There are usually only one or two teams that would be must play rivalries. So you schedule two teams as annual opponents and rotate the schedule so that each team would play all ACC members every two years.
Eight game conference schedule with a BIG and PAC opponent each year. Still leaves room for cupcake games.

Jan 27, 2022, 7:52 AM

I did a quick search on why divisions are a good idea and it came back with no hits.

No divisions and no locked in games. Play a round robin schedule where we play every team home and away in any four year period.

Our schedule should feature 8 ACC games in the round robin format, one Pac12 matchup, one Big 10 matchup, the coots and and a Big 12 matchup.

The coot game would serve as our layup game instead of the SoCon.

Jan 27, 2022, 7:59 AM

I would rather there be 'coastal' and 'inland' divisions. The half closest to the Atlantic Ocean and the half that is further from the Atlantic Ocean. You could also do four mini-divisions and four conference championship teams playing two games to decide the winner.

One word: RELEGATION. Have a top group that can win the

Jan 27, 2022, 8:02 AM

conference title. They play every team in that group, plus some rotation against the bottom group. Winner is the conference champion, or you have top 2 play in a conference championship game. Worst team in the top group is relegated to the bottom for the next year, and likewise the best team from the bottom group is promoted to the top group for next year. Everyone in the top gets their shot against the all the other teams in the top group.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One word: RELEGATION. Have a top group that can win the

Jan 27, 2022, 9:59 AM

Would not work. You would obliterate rebuilding programs.

Example:
Clemson 2010 - 5th (of 6) in the Atlantic. Placed about 8/9th overall based on record. Only Duke/Wake/UVA were worse. Regulated.
Clemson 2011 - ACC Champs

Jan 27, 2022, 8:15 AM

Makes no sense and we don't need new divisions.

Do away with divisions in ALL conferences!***

Jan 27, 2022, 8:48 AM

^^^^ THIS ^^^^***

Jan 27, 2022, 8:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That North Division would really be some weak sauce.

Jan 27, 2022, 11:13 AM

Kinda how the SEC Least compares to the SEC West most years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That North Division would really be some weak sauce.

Jan 27, 2022, 1:01 PM

My CFP expansion includes 5 P5 Confs with 8 team divisions and no Conf Championships. 10 Div Champs & 6 at large. Rebalance divisions every 3-4 years based on record in and out of conf. Atl gets 1,4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 Coastal gets 2, 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic