Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA agrees to let schools pay players.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 2105

NCAA agrees to let schools pay players.

May 24, 2024, 6:20 AM

SIAP...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40206364/ncaa-power-conferences-agree-allow-schools-pay-players

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,;

May 24, 2024, 6:41 AM

because now they're officially going to be known as minor league professional athletes paid by the colleges to play for them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,;

May 24, 2024, 6:47 AM

Should they even mess with going to classes now ? I suppose some will make a lot more than others , I expect to see a push for unionization sooner rather than later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,;Well to be fair

May 24, 2024, 7:13 AM [ in reply to So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,; ]

UNC debunked the student part years ago. They went with fake school work suppied athlete

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,;Well to be fair***

May 24, 2024, 10:03 AM

Re: So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,;Well to be fair

May 24, 2024, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: So much now for the term "student athlete",,,,,,;Well to be fair ]

They didn't do anything for the athletes that they didn't do for other students.

They also refused to cooperate with the NCAA and it worked for them.

Florida, FSU, and Miami were stupid, and caved. Now FSU is trying to get those penalties thrown out based on the current legal situation.

The school that looks the smartest in this is - sigh - Tennessee. They went on the offensive, got their state AG to sue the NCAA, and their Chancellor and AD joined the suit.

Presto - federal injunction that prevents the NCAA from regulating or interfering with NIL benefits.

This is the nail in the coffin for me.

May 24, 2024, 7:09 AM

My interest is officially dead and I don’t see it coming back. What a ride it was!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How long before players ride the bench until they get the contract they want??***

May 24, 2024, 10:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Let's see how that works out, you'll be deleting your account now yes?

May 24, 2024, 10:14 AM [ in reply to This is the nail in the coffin for me. ]

Doubt it.

Re: This is the nail in the coffin for me.

May 28, 2024, 7:33 PM [ in reply to This is the nail in the coffin for me. ]

I still have my interest, but my guard is way up and I will walk away if it ends up like some of us are worrying about. I would just watch the top pro sports..NFL all season, MLB at times, NBA in playoffs. NFL would be my only one I love. I hope this doesn't put the nail in college football.

Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players.

May 24, 2024, 7:20 AM

$20 million per year is a stunning amount of money.
If football and men’s basketball get half, that’s $10 million or $100 K for each of the 100 athletes annually.
If Clemson has 600 total athletes and divides it evenly, that’s $33,000 per athlete annually
I realize better players will get more money.

But this well compensated professional model will turn a good number of fans off. I think the NCAA and colleges will be surprised how much fan interest goes down

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 7:31 AM

Wont go down at all. You will watch every game Clemson plays as well as everyone else here

May 24, 2024, 8:45 AM

So I guess you've missed the news stories that come out about every June/July about plummeting college football attendance? Including at Clemson, although ours has suffered less than others. But with the costs of IPTAY, tickets, and travel, it's already difficult for me to make games as a season ticket holder. IPTAY and ticket prices are already nearly out of reach for me. When they inevitably skyrocket to support student payments--you know, ON TOP OF the full scholarships they receive to the tune of $25-50K per year--I don't know if I'll be able to go to games at all anymore.

Since they're going to be paying players now, I say they release those 150 or so scholarships back into the student body. My oldest attends Clemson and gets no scholarship money *at all*. He sure could use the financial support, and unlike a good number of our athletes, he doesn't have a six- or seven-figure salary awaiting him at the end of his senior year.

May 24, 2024, 9:19 AM

Tell your kid to have more value and would have money waiting for them.

Also I didn’t say go to games. I said watch them. You will still watch

Nonsense. Football attendence has increased slightly

May 24, 2024, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players. ]

...for several years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-sees-increase-in-consecutive-seasons-for-first-time-since-2008/amp/

Re: Nonsense. Football attendence has increased slightly

May 28, 2024, 8:16 AM

"FBS attendance has risen across consecutive seasons for the first time since 2008." "In 2022, average attendance rose for the first time in eight years. "

That's 2 years, not "several". The 2022-23 increase was an average of +27 fans per game, which is a modest increase, but an increase nonetheless. But it's the first one since 2017.

Re: Nonsense. Football attendence has increased slightly

May 29, 2024, 6:55 AM [ in reply to Nonsense. Football attendence has increased slightly ]

What about the trend of booster numbers, the folks that fund the team?

May 28, 2024, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players. ]

I don't agree.

May 24, 2024, 7:33 AM

I’m going to miss Dabo.

May 24, 2024, 8:21 AM

Me, too.

The NIL/transfer portal was like the doctor giving a terminal diagnosis to a loved one. Today's settlement is like turning off the machines and waiting for your loved one to draw their last.

Since college football no longer really exists, and Clemson probably can't compete in this environment, part of me wishes Dabo would retire today in an epic, prescient press conference blasting everyone involved. Then go lead Daniel High to twenty straight state titles.

If we remain in the ACC we can't. ESPN is essentially already

May 24, 2024, 9:11 AM

written the ACC off with referring to major conferences as the Power 2.

Re: If we remain in the ACC we can't. ESPN is essentially already

May 29, 2024, 7:24 AM

The power football teams are going to break out and have different rules. For several years, Dabo has been telling anyone that would listen where this is all headed.

May 28, 2024, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players. ]

Such a press conference from Dabo (or any coach) would garner attention for a news cycle then fade away. College football would move on without him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players. ]

I think Dabo can stay and continue to thumb his nose at the system and make it work for us. I really think there's enough talent that have smart parents to still believe in his theory of preparing young men for the future. So, we could actually come out in the end, better off.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 7:34 AM

The courts made the NCAA do this. The NCAA has to pay past "student athletes" (wink-wink) as part of the deal.

The NCAA found themselves running a business (college football) and fixing the wages of the football players. The courts called this "collusion". Collusion has not been allowed in the United States since the 1800's.

The way things have been going the last 4 years this is good news

May 24, 2024, 8:13 AM

It provides a path for a leadership group to set rules around compensating players which has a chance to restore some measure of competitive balance. I want Clemson to win at the highest level and run a program that develops great men; which is what Dabo has always done. We need rules to keep the schools who have more resources than us from just buying all of the talent, and the courts won’t let colleges make those rules without this first step. The NCAA is a cartel and what they’ve been doing has been technically illegal since 1890; without an anti-trust exemption there was not way to continue the old model.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 8:28 AM

There's zero ability in the law for the fantasy I am about to describe, but.....

How about a class action for the fans who funded college sports for over a hundred years for breaking our beloved sport and ruining our investment? How about some Philadelphia Lawyers* get on that?

*See Woody Guthrie, Philadelphia Lawyer (1944).

May 28, 2024, 10:23 AM

How have you been financially damaged?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 8:32 AM

"To save the great American institution of college sports, Congress must pass legislation that will preempt the current patchwork of state laws; establish that our athletes are not employees, but students seeking college degrees; and provide protection from further antitrust lawsuits that will allow colleges to make and enforce rules that will protect our student-athletes and help ensure competitive equity among our teams."

If not employees, what are they?..... Thieves?

May 24, 2024, 8:41 AM

This may be a good thing. They're acknowledging something every knows was happening. The NCAA has neutered itself. I suspect any rules would come down from P-5 conferences. Will this lead to salary caps? Does this lead to player contracts that limit transfers? Does this provide incentives for student athletes to not break the law in Athens, Ga?

Does this provide incentives for student athletes to not break the law in Athens

May 24, 2024, 8:51 AM

Isn’t that like the cacks including an incentive in baby beamer’s contract for winning a national championship? You can put it in the contract just for fun but you know you’ll never have to pay out on the promise.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 8:47 AM

Nice.

Done in the name of athletes, meanwhile this is going to kill so many non revenue sports and lower programs.

May 24, 2024, 9:42 AM

Pretty much. This is 20 million that will come from
Football revenue that will not be able to be used for other sports as a subsidy. Those other sports will be left high and dry.

May 28, 2024, 10:31 AM

With much of the top talent eventually going to the highest bidder, it will put that much more of a premium on player development. Taking those solid 3* players and bringing out all of their potential will have to be the way to overcome some of the initial talent deficit for a lot of programs that simply won't have the dollars to compete.

In short, spend a premium now to develop the best coaching staff you can afford.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Classes ?***

May 28, 2024, 12:40 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Classes ?***

May 28, 2024, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question but I am speaking about the future, once pay for play hits full stride, and not about any present classes, assuming that is what you meant.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just in time...

May 28, 2024, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players. ]

...for some if those "developed" players to transfer to the competition and out us farther behind the curve whine we start over with freshmen.

May 29, 2024, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA agrees to let schools pay players. ]

Since this is NFL light, there will be a draft.

Replies: 37
| visibility 2105
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic