Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My entire life
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,001

My entire life

Apr 10, 2024, 9:39 AM

I was a drummer. from the time I was about 5 until just two years ago. Before 5 I was always tapping and beating on things.

2 years ago I kept remembering what an old interim pastor at my childhood church would say. He'd say "people tell me all the time that they wished they could play the piano." And he said he would always reply with "no you don't, if you really wanted to, you would" Old pastors name was Herb Garrett.

Anyways those words prompted me to buy a home digital piano. And I started a journey.

I had a leg up because I'd spent my entire life practicing my timing with the drums and my ear is honestly what made me a good drummer. I could just hear where things were supposed to be.

That translated well for me to piano but over the last year I've really gotten into the theory and truly learning the craft.

Now I usually spend 2-3 hours a night playing after we get all the kids settled down. Thanks to online communities and forums I've been able to accelerate my learning pace and can play piano with other musicians at a proficient level the same as I could the drums.

I say that to hopefully encourage others, not to boast about my own abilities. My goal is to hopefully encourage someone else to realize that we have all the resources we need at our fingertips to accomplish anything we want in this life. So stop wasting time. Just start that thing you've always wanted to do. Just start, and commit time each day.

Anyways that was truly my point yesterday, that we have an advantage that previous generations did not, and we shouldn't waste the advantage we've been given to learn. Again I apologize for the disrespect. A disrespectful person is not someone I want to be. Just like we have a great source of information through the internet, we also have a great source of information through the old folks like Pastor Herb Garrett, who taught me to go do the things that I really want to do in life.

Anyways I hope everyone has a great day and Go Tigers!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My entire life

Apr 10, 2024, 10:17 AM

Glad you realized.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2024, 11:30 AM

revmarkg®

Apr 10, 2024, 12:20 PM

Sorry, I’m a Boomer. I’m too stupid to learn anything new.

Seriously, congratulations on learning the keyboards. Now that I’m retired, I’ve been able to travel for pleasure (not work) and to learn new things. It’s a great feeling. Keep on being a lifelong learner.

If you are anything like me

Apr 11, 2024, 8:05 AM

this will not be the last time you may cross a line for being disrespectful, or saying a little too much when making a point (and your point is a good one). I do it all the time. Thus, I have to apologize and strive for better responses in the future, on a regular basis. And, I am a pastor. So I understand the call to love your neighbor as yourself. I respect you for reaching out. It says something about you that you did so both publicly and privately. My responses back to you also crossed a line. As, I was writing, I was thinking, I will show this youngster a thing or two. That was arrogant on my part and for that I am sorry. Every generation is valuable and needed. I lost my dad to Alzheimer's a few years ago. I cannot tell you the times when caring for him got so hard, there were times I found myself thinking, it would be easier if he were gone. Now, I would give my right arm if I could just talk to him for a half an hour.
coltdizzle®, you and I are good.

Message was edited by: revmarkg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some feelings of guilt are not justified

Apr 11, 2024, 8:25 AM

As I get older, I have come to realize that if my mind goes away, my true existence on Earth will have ended and my physical presence will serve no purpose. I would hope that death would come quickly and that everyone close to me would feel comfort in knowing my prayers and wishes had been fulfilled and they would be pleased that eternal rest had been granted.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad fit much of that description.

Apr 11, 2024, 8:32 AM

He no longer knew even close family members. His personality completely changed. He eventually lost the ability to communicate. Caring for him was the hardest thing I have ever done. He was never in a nursing home. My wife is the greatest woman ever because she helped care for him. As the years have passed and the intensity of caring for him has faded from memory, I can remember and miss the person he was before that awful disease stole him away from us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2024, 8:38 AM

Fellow musician here. I learned guitar and drums the same way. Actually my mom bought me my first kit because I was so amped up as a kid. Like you I have a really good ear and can play most songs just from listening to them. But over the past 10 years or so I've really gravitated towards the guitar. I really enjoy fiddling with different amps, and pedals. That's why my multi effects processor is a game changer lol. Now instead of a full half stack I just take a pedalboard, and maybe a small speaker to gigs. So much easier 🙂

But yeah I respect the crap out of guitarist like SRV, EVH, Randy Rhoads, etc. (Bet you can figure out what style of music I play 😉) Simply because they had to learn the hard way. Now you got guys who are playing stuff they couldn't even fathom because they had so many resources when learning, including the legends material. But anyways, sorry for the long response. I can talk music all day lol

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2024, 8:48 AM

Sounds more like internal motivation than how great the internet is.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here.

Apr 11, 2024, 9:17 AM

I want to delete my account and do something useful with my time now.

Bout time, coot!***

Apr 11, 2024, 9:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Womenz basketball season is over.

Apr 11, 2024, 9:22 AM

You can go away now coot.

When asked what sense I'd give up if I had to

Apr 11, 2024, 9:58 AM [ in reply to This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here. ]

Make such a choice...it's easy. I can't hear what I see...but I can 'see' what I hear.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,001
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next