Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More Facts about guns in the US
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 454

More Facts about guns in the US

Apr 21, 2013, 6:58 PM

Please refrain from posting public opinion polls as a rebuttal, your opinions add up to jack squat against facts, figures, statistics, and studies.

Mother Jones has tracked and mapped every shooting spree in the last three decades. “Since 1982, there have been at least 61 mass murders carried out with firearms across the country, with the killings unfolding in 30 states from Massachusetts to Hawaii,” they found. And in most cases, the killers had obtained their weapons legally:

Gun ownership in the United States is declining overall.

“For all the attention given to America’s culture of guns, ownership of firearms is at or near all-time lows,” writes political scientist Patrick Egan. The decline is most evident on the General Social Survey, though it also shows up on polling from Gallup, as you can see on this graph:(notice a correlation to above graph)

America is an unusually violent country. But we’re not as violent as we used to be.

Kieran Healy, a sociologist at Duke University, made this graph of “deaths due to assault” in the United States and other developed countries. We are a clear outlier.

(Notice the swift drop in 1980, compare to to gun ownership graph)

The South is the most violent region in the United States.

In a subsequent post, Healy drilled further into the numbers and looked at deaths due to assault in different regions of the country. Just as the United States is a clear outlier in the international context, the South is a clear outlier in the national context:

More guns tend to mean more homicide.

The Harvard Injury Control Research Center assessed the literature on guns and homicide and found that there’s substantial evidence that indicates more guns means more murders. This holds true whether you’re looking at different countries or different states. Citations here.http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun-related violence.

Last year, economist Richard Florida dove deep into the correlations between gun deaths and other kinds of social indicators. Some of what he found was, perhaps, unexpected: Higher populations, more stress, more immigrants, and more mental illness were not correlated with more deaths from gun violence. But one thing he found was, perhaps, perfectly predictable: States with tighter gun control laws appear to have fewer gun-related deaths. The disclaimer here is that correlation is not causation. But correlations can be suggestive:

“The map overlays the map of firearm deaths above with gun control restrictions by state,” explains Florida. “It highlights states which have one of three gun control restrictions in place – assault weapons’ bans, trigger locks, or safe storage requirements. Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48).”

But particular policies to control guns receive favorable support by the majority of Americans

An August CNN/ORC poll asked respondents whether they favor or oppose a number of specific policies to restrict gun ownership. And when you drill down to that level, many policies, including banning the manufacture and possession of semi-automatic rifles, are popular.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very cool. Did you call boi and tell him to get on

Apr 21, 2013, 7:00 PM

tnet? Or did he call you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very cool. Did you call boi and tell him to get on

Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 PM

do you have anything reasonable or factual to argue with, or is this going to turn into a thread about bestiality?

Far be it from me to criticize. You guys carry on. Send pics***

Apr 21, 2013, 7:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reasonable and factual.

Apr 21, 2013, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Very cool. Did you call boi and tell him to get on ]

I'm glad you've found something....anything, that fits that mold for you. Leftwing studies and whatnot.

And a poll by CNN? Really?

HAHAHA

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reasonable and factual.

Apr 21, 2013, 7:17 PM

so basically you have nothing.

If you say so. Looks like you and I are one, in the same.

Apr 21, 2013, 7:19 PM

Cause, you got nothing. That little study that you keep on your nightstand is laughable.

Dont change the subject; I want pics.***

Apr 21, 2013, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Reasonable and factual. ]

Interesting

Apr 21, 2013, 7:22 PM

I do wonder about the very first graph however.

Adam Lanza fatally shot 28 individuals. HIs weapons were stolen from his mother, which certainly is not "obtaining their weapons legally". Seems not to be reflected in the graph.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on when the study was done

Apr 21, 2013, 7:45 PM

The bars represent 1 shooting not 1 death so I'm not sure how you can tell either way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see that now. I did misread that for sure.***

Apr 21, 2013, 7:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting information

Apr 21, 2013, 7:38 PM

I've seen some of that before and the only concern I have is with mass shootings. Violent crime has been going down and is the lowest since the 70s, so I'm not sure how big of an issue all this really is.

I do think this issue is overblown by both sides. Politically, I think it's wasting time and creates more polarization which obstructs an already obstructed Congress.

In other words, I don't understand why the south fetishizes guns, but I also don't think they are enough of a problem for Congress to be wasting time with it.

Re: Interesting information

Apr 21, 2013, 7:41 PM

The South has been bullied by government before.

That could be a big part...

Apr 21, 2013, 7:48 PM

Which makes it passed down from generation to generation. If so, I wonder if that means as we get further out from the Civil War the "Fetishisizing" diminishes proportionately?

Our movies, music, video games are all so intertwined with guns that I have to think it goes beyond just the Civil War, maybe not for the south, but for the rest of the country.

Re: That could be a big part...

Apr 21, 2013, 8:21 PM

I have one weapon. It's a paramilitary 9mm. Designed for close combat defense. Everyting else that I own is long guns, used for sport/hunting. I think that the majority of gun owners are just like me. And, they don't want the government screwing around with their ownership. Rarely had I ever thought about it as a "right", until they wanted to restrict it.

Apr 21, 2013, 8:28 PM

that sounds reasonable and typical of most gun owners,

All I am trying to argue is the amount of mis information out there on private gun ownership and combating the notion that we somehow need to arm ourselves against a tyrannical government, These obstructionist and paranoid views of gun ownership do more harm than good.

If you do not want the ATF breathing down your neck, then try not to stock pile an arsenal.

Apr 21, 2013, 8:32 PM

If you do not want the ATF breathing down your neck, then try not to stock pile an arsenal.

What part of, "I have that right", are you struggling with?

There is no misimformation regarding gun ownership, by law abiding citizens.

Apr 21, 2013, 8:36 PM

You do not have the right to traffic weapons, which seems like the main reason why a person would stockpile an arsenol. Unless you are a collector, it makes no sense to keep 100 guns in your house and I would question a persons motives or snaity in that case.

and mis information like we are safer with a gun in the house, not true

or that there are only 10k gun deaths per year, not true, closer to 30k.

Mis information that the enhanced background check bill was a way for the government to create a registry, again not true. The bill did the exact opposite.

Mis information that the world is coming to an end and we need to arm oursleves again roaming mobs of looters? This is a clever way to sell guns.

Mis information that Liberals wants to take all of our guns from us? again, not true. The last graph shows that the vast majority of americans are against banning guns all together.

it goes on and on.

You know I gotta go OT here for a second

Apr 21, 2013, 8:48 PM

while I definitely don't agree you with on a lot, I at least appreciate the fact that you bring solid information (regardless if it is slanted to your viewpoint or not) and actually provide substance in the form of your own thoughts.

OK, back to the program :)

Re: You know I gotta go OT here for a second

Apr 21, 2013, 8:56 PM

hey, I am all for private gun ownership.

However, I grew up on NJ and nobody had them and it is illgal to carry a loaded gun on yu and in your car. There was ZERO crime, outside of Camden and Newark where there was a lot of gang violence. We never got robbed, liquor stores did not get robbed, there were not roaming bands of criminals taking advantage of the situation. If yu take away Newark and Camden, NJ is one of the safest states in the country. Even with those two cities, it ranks very low in gun violence.

Having siad that, the cops I knew from Camden would sooner shoot you than ask questions if they found you suspicious. The cops in Santa Monica carry automatic rifles and if you even so much as flash a gun in their direction, they will mow your legs out from under you and then go celebrate with a beer. I trust them to keep my neighborhood safe. For people who live out in the country, I can totally understand the need to carry.

I leave my sliding glass doors unlocked, if someone wanted in bad enough they would smash them. I have never been robbed, mugged, assaulted, or ever felt the need to carry. But then again, I make it a point to be very careful of who I let into my home and I am tight with all my neighbors. We look out for each other. Concealed carry is legal here, but I only know of woman that carry a gun at all times.

Stop quoting your stupid little study to me.

Apr 21, 2013, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: That could be a big part... ]

It's ridiculous.

It's already somewhat restricted, that's the question...

Apr 21, 2013, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: That could be a big part... ]

where do we draw that line. That's why I've never liked the "they coming after our guns!" rhetoric. That's not the argument. If it was, I'd be right there with those people.

It's a question about type of regulation not repealing of amendments.

Re: More Facts about guns in the US

Apr 21, 2013, 8:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More Facts about guns in the US***

Apr 21, 2013, 8:58 PM

Replies: 23
| visibility 454
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic