Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Im honestly really surprised that college athletics
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1104

Im honestly really surprised that college athletics

May 24, 2024, 1:50 PM

has changed so much. My fear is we are just scratching the surface of the change that is to come. It’s much like what is coming in AI. I don’t think most of us can grasp the change that is coming.

Questions I have…

Will Clemson football really be Clemson football anymore? Kids will no longer come for the Clemson experience and to have the privilege of wearing the Paw. They will come for the cash with absolutely no loyalty. Do I really care that a team full of those guys actually wins anything?

Will giving dry up? Again, if Clemson football becomes a professional team, I’m certainly not giving to that.

Will big donors dictate the direction? I could see a guy stipulating, I’ll give 1 million but only if you get that QB.

Will attendance suffer? Maybe I’m wrong but will we really care as much as we do now? I already don’t care as much.

Thoughts??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Step back from the cliff

May 24, 2024, 1:53 PM

Clemson/Dabo will handle things appropriately..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think all his questions are very valid.***

May 24, 2024, 2:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think all his questions are very valid.***

May 24, 2024, 2:06 PM

Me too!

Re: Step back from the cliff

May 24, 2024, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Step back from the cliff ]

I agree. Dabo will do all he can. But some things are much bigger than Dabo.

There are always unintended consequences to every change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like to think of myself as a positive thinker... sometimes.

May 24, 2024, 3:02 PM

Here are 13 lucky reasons that everything will be ok:

1. Grilling burgers and playing catch with your dad or son or brother before the game.
2. Watching the tigers spill down the hill.
3. A big sack or turnover on the first possession of the game as we all go nuts.
4. Seeing the guy who sits next to you children grow up through the years.
5. Griping that we don't run the ball enough.
6. Griping that we don't throw the ball enough.
7. Sitting in traffic listening to the post game player interviews.
8. Ice cold beer, if that's your thing, on a beautiful Fall afternoon as the leaves turn.
9. Getting too much sun on your knees on a September game.
10. Freezing during a night November game as "We Will Rock You" blares.
11. Calling your dad, son or friend to discuss yesterday's game on Sunday afternoon.
12. Taking someone new to their first Clemson game.
13. Watching the Tigers beat the crap out of the gamecocks or the seminoles.

It's much more than the NIL/Portal/Dollar. Change is the only constant in nature, don't let all that stuff get you down. Just enjoy the same game and experience you've always enjoyed.

Re: Im honestly really surprised that college athletics

May 24, 2024, 3:38 PM

Talk is cheap. Be specific and name 3 things that have changed with college athletics. The past soccer, football and basketball seasons were great and so far, so are the baseball and softball seasons. For us, our lady golfers made the match play in the NCAA and the men begin their play tomorrow. College sports are alive and well.

College FB is now mini-pro with $ now on & below the table

May 24, 2024, 5:57 PM

but acrush is right..even though our & other football teams will essentially be bought & paid for..we fans will still experience many past loves & future experiences that endear us to the college football game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College FB has always been mini pro

May 24, 2024, 9:26 PM

There's not any pay under the table now.
The NCAA rules against it have been nullified by the federal courts.

Re: College FB has always been mini pro

May 25, 2024, 8:48 AM

You are actually somewhat correct...way back Florida hs would get kids from south Georgia to come play hs football, get them a room in a boarding house, part time job...there were once tons of semi pro teams before TV...that's what the Jim Thorpe debacle was all about...small leagues everywhere in sports...pay for performance was the way it went...if you were paid, other than food, shelter, in disposable funds you became a pro...even $50 per week made you professional...that shut down semi pro sports...NCAA was supposed to protect amateur athletics...between dope, gambling and the headonists it all is gone now!

May 25, 2024, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Im honestly really surprised that college athletics ]

Man I glad things are headed in the right direction for yourself, but on the football side it does not seem so encouraging imo.

Going to basically 2 conferences with all the cash.
If it’s going to go down this path there needs to be a governing body with some salary limits (if maintaining fairness is still a thing). Dabo and Saban has knocked the direction we are headed and Saban even being involved in the political side of things. If things were going good then there would be no need for either.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

There is a salary cap.

May 26, 2024, 8:12 AM

That's a different thing than NIL endorsement money, which isn't salary and can't be capped.

May 25, 2024, 9:55 AM

What makes you think Clemson players of the past (or any team for that matter) would not have made the same decisions regarding NIL and transfers players today make? Those things weren't available in the past so we notalgically import noble reasons such as "wearing the colors" or "Clemson experience" to those players. How can you be certain players as far back as Jeff Davis or as recent as Trevor Lawrence wouldn't take big NIL money to play elsewhere? You really think "the Paw" would keep them from making big money, providing for their family?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2024, 10:07 AM

I’m 55, was a student in the late 80’s(Danny), and can tell you that I don’t care as much. Maybe it’s my age now, but I don’t follow recruiting anymore, and couldn’t tell you the starters at all 22 positions. I will still watch on tv and still pull as hard as I ever did, but losses don’t crush me like they used to, and I’m over it in an hour.

Got to see and experience 3 national championships before college athletics went crazy. Took my kids to Tampa and for that I am grateful. Hate that they will not get to experience and enjoy the same things that I did. Money changes everything and not always for the better imo. Maybe the new generation will embrace it.

May 26, 2024, 7:42 AM

Exactly how I feel. Well said.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1104
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic