Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Grant of Rights and OUR Only Option
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Grant of Rights and OUR Only Option

Jul 26, 2021, 10:03 PM

The ACC has a “grant of rights” agreement, which every member has agreed to through 2036. If a school tried to leave the ACC before then, its television rights revenue would remain with the conference. Nobody is poaching Clemson or FSU unless the agreement can be challenged legally. The agreement essentially locks the members into the ACC.

The only option for the ACC to compete is to add Notre Dame. Not going to happen. The ACC has no leverage. If that doesn’t happen, the league shouldn’t add any other teams.

Clemson’s best bet is an ACC/SEC or ACC/Big10 merger. Otherwise, Clemson and the other ACC schools are going to get left behind financially. That’s already happening and the gap has been growing. The SEC and Big10 are the cool kids and we are sitting at a table full of ACC nerds.

It’s hope for a big merger or the ACC will be relegated to a second class league like the AAC. That’s the only option that allows us to continue to be a football power.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big 10 and SEC don’t need ACC. But PAC 12 might

Jul 26, 2021, 10:14 PM

We should use Notre Dame to help work out “an agreement” with PAC 12. Perhaps a yearly “challenge”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big 10 and SEC don’t need ACC. But PAC 12 might

Jul 26, 2021, 10:21 PM

PAC12/ACC merger or agreement still won’t bring in the revenue needed to compete. It’s SEC/Big10 merger or bust. This is the only option.

The ACC does offer additional market exposure (NC, VA, DC, NY, Boston, S. Florida) that would be attractive for a super conference. I hope Phillips is bending the knee as we speak.

Jul 27, 2021, 12:21 AM

Maybe we should approach the SEC with a merger bc of all the rivalries that the SEC and ACC has within each of our conferences!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2021, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Big 10 and SEC don’t need ACC. But PAC 12 might ]

PAC12/ACC merger or agreement still won’t bring in the revenue needed to compete. It’s SEC/Big10 merger or bust. This is the only option.

The ACC does offer additional market exposure (NC, VA, DC, NY, Boston, S. Florida) that would be attractive for a super conference. I hope Phillips is bending the knee as we speak.

Re: Grant of Rights and OUR Only Option

Jul 27, 2021, 12:16 AM

Why would any college sign such an agreement locking them into a situation for that long, and knowing that thing could change in a heart beat, just as it did when the ACC was caught behind the 8 ball when the SEC all of a sudden went to 14 teams.

I mean how could an administration show so much arrogances with signing a contract locking them in any situation for that long, especially with the large sums of money being made in college FB, and a long term contract could leave a school on the outside looking in at that kind of money changing hands all around them with new contracts, and a school has locked themselves out of cashing in from those big money pots!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2021, 8:03 AM

Legally you are right. But I think there is an exception to this ... Maryland. They were a founding member and when they left - they were fined but but it did not sound like they lost all their media rights thru to 2036. Granted I am not an expert in legal matters - so if someone can shed more light I would be interested.

When the conference has set a precedence allowing a member to leave with a slap on the wrist then they can't turn around and treat other member who wants to leave, differently.

I am happy with the ACC thus far. But if there was a choice between staying in the ACC or going to the SEC - I would hold my nose and vote SEC in a heartbeat. My reasons would be financial and football relevance for Clemson.

Jul 27, 2021, 8:34 AM

Maryland only had a $50 million fine to pay. BIG is paying its teams $50 million annually and the ACC pays in the mid 30s. Maryland has already paid it off and is laughing at us financially.

The current agreement is somewhat a result of Maryland bolting. The ACC didn’t want its most valuable teams getting poached so they locked it up with that agreement.

Funny Maryland hasn't brought back any of the 7 sports...

Jul 27, 2021, 6:14 PM

They cut the year they decided to leave the ACC. They tried to blame that on the ACC when in actuality it was their own mismanagement. The ACC was paying out $18 Million a year in 2012...The Big 10 was paying out $23 Million.

Jul 27, 2021, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Grant of Rights and OUR Only Option ]

It’s my understanding the grant of rights was signed after Maryland already left the conference. It prevents other schools from doing the same because of the financial ramifications. All the speculation on this board is moot. We are stuck in the ACC.

The ACC also locked ND into an agreement that specifies if they ever join a conference, it has to be the ACC.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic