Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC

Jul 24, 2021, 8:43 PM

I realize the money discrepancy gets bigger and bigger, but Clemson will still find a way to win.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC

Jul 24, 2021, 9:07 PM

Of course we will, especially in the ACC. Its weak. There are might be 10 teams in the nation that could run the table in the ACC to get to a playoff game. I like the ACC because of that. On the other hand, with 12 teams in the playoff we can play a tougher schedule.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2021, 10:27 PM

Name the ten teams. I think you’d be hard pressed to find more than 3-4 at most.

I know. In 2019 Georgia fans were saying they could go

Jul 25, 2021, 12:11 AM

unbeaten vs our schedule and they had a loss to South Carolina at home, a team we beat 38-3 on the road.

I know you;re talking about ACC, but our schedule is our schedule and South Carolina is on it.

Jul 25, 2021, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

There are probably 4 or 5 in the SEC alone. The ACC has been really bad. Our 2nd best team was weak over the last few years. We can't control what the rest of our league does though. It doesn't reflect on us. Everyone knows Clemson is a powerhouse.

Jul 25, 2021, 10:58 AM

I should have said had 1 loss at most and go to the playoff. Run the table..maybe. 1 loss at most though.

Please tell me the 4-5 teams last year from the SEC...***

Jul 25, 2021, 11:07 AM

Re: Please tell me the 4-5 teams last year from the SEC...***

Jul 25, 2021, 11:15 AM

Last year...who knows, but there are at least 4 or 5 teams that could have won the ACC at one point over the last few years and gone to the playoff as long as we weren't in there.

Bama
Florida
Georgia
LSU

LSU was 5-5 last year with losses to Miss St and Missouri??

Jul 25, 2021, 11:20 AM

What are you talking about? There was MAYBE two teams in the SEC last year that would have been undefeated against the ACC if Clemson wasn't in the conference (Bama and aTm). And that doesn't include the fact that ND played an ACC schedule last year.

Re: LSU was 5-5 last year with losses to Miss St and Missouri??

Jul 25, 2021, 11:27 AM

Reread the post. I didn't say last year. I said over the last few years at one point. Over the last few years there are probably around 8 to 10 teams in the nation that could have dominated the ACC and gone to the playoff. We have an easy run. I like it, we get a lot more practice in and can get more players involved.

Jul 25, 2021, 3:00 PM

There are maybe THREE teams that could have accomplished what Clemson has done in the ACC the last six years, and they are the same three that would have dominated in about any conference Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. That’s pretty much it. I haven’t seen any team in America, save LSU exclusively in 2019 and those other three, that would have gone undefeated in the ACC multiple times since 2015. Truthfully, if we are talking undefeated more than once, as Clemson has done, it would be only TWO: Alabama and Ohio State. People seem to forget just how good Clemson has been, and people also seem to forget that it’s VERY HARD to go undefeated in ANY P5 conference. It doesn’t matter the year. That is always VERY HARD to do.

Jul 25, 2021, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: LSU was 5-5 last year with losses to Miss St and Missouri?? ]

Lol

You must be a liberal. Because nobody can move the goalpost like a liberal.

Every time someone proves you wrong you post a comment saying you meant to say something different.

Jul 25, 2021, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Please tell me the 4-5 teams last year from the SEC...*** ]

Florida is grossly overrated. Kyle Trask is not a great quarterback. Most of the scouting reports have him as a career back up in the NFL. Look at how bad he was without his starting receivers.

Trevor played behind a terrible OL last year and was without his top three receivers. Yet he still put up huge numbers. And look at what we did to Notre Dame in the ACCCG despite them being a top 4 team.

Dabo is right when he says there are not 12 teams good enough to be in the playoffs. And I agree with Josh Pate at 24/7. In a few years players will start opting out of the playoffs and people will be talking about meaningless playoff games. The 6 thru 12 seeds are going to get slaughtered most years.

LSU had an all-time epic season, largely because of transfer players through the portal. Southern Cal is trying to do what LSU did two years ago.

You might buy the occasional championship with the portal and NIL, but you’re not going to build a successful and consistent program that way. And don’t underestimate Southern Cal leveraging NIL. That’s how they stole Korey Foreman from us!

Alabama and Georgia are the only two teams that would go undefeated in the ACC. Texas A&M and Florida could possibly do it some years, but they would not be guaranteed to do it the way Alabama and Georgia would. And I’m not so sure Georgia would be guaranteed to do it given their history against a program as terrible as South Carolina.

Miami has been killing it with the recruiting. So has North Carolina. Those programs are on the rise. Florida State and Virginia Tech could turn things around as well with the right coaching staff. We need those programs to get better. And of course I wish Notre Dame would get off the fence. Last season was the most relevant Notre Dame has been in decades thanks to Clemson and the ACC. They need to get their heads out their collective ##### and realize they are not what they used to be. Things have changed dramatically.

With conference realignment, NIL, the transfer portal, things are gonna be crazy the next 3 to 5 years as some of these things shake out.

Jul 25, 2021, 1:06 PM

I am not saying Florida or whoever is always great. I am just saying the ACC has been down and has sucked.

Jul 25, 2021, 5:05 PM

But that’s not what you said. You were saying that plenty of other teams can do what Clemson has done. You keep changing what you are saying when people turn around and push back. Make up your mind.

Texas has sucked and Oklahoma has owned the big 12. Every time Oklahoma gets to the playoffs they #### the bed. Look at what Clemson has done to Oklahoma in the playoffs.

The pack 12 hasn’t done a #### thing since Reggie bush. Oregon came close one time. But they’re not consistently a top five or 10 team.

Other than Ohio State who in the B1G would dominate the ACC the way Clemson has over the last six or eight years? No one!

So that leaves the SEC. LSU has not been all that great the last six years. They had one big year thanks to the transfer portal.

Florida has been hot garbage. They haven’t been great.

Texas A&M seems to be turning things around. That was a tough road game in the rain in college station a few years back. But exactly what I suspected and said after the game ended up being true: Kellen Mond played way over his head in that game and repeatedly got bailed out by insanely great catches by his receivers. A&M played out of their minds in that game and haven’t come close to that since.

That leaves Georgia and Alabama. And as people have pointed out Georgia has lost a South Carolina and had some extremely close games against them and other teams over the last five or six years.

So other than Alabama and Ohio State who would dominate the ACC the way Clemson has?

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

EXACTLY! VERY FEW and definitely not 4-5 from the SEC.***

Jul 26, 2021, 10:54 PM

The ACC has sucked and MAYBE 1 or 2 other fans could have...

Jul 25, 2021, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Please tell me the 4-5 teams last year from the SEC...*** ]

Accomplished what we have over the last 5 years against the ACC. The ACC sucked in the 90s too but you don't see anybody saying FSU didn't have a dynasty or that "anyone else could have done it". You aren't living in reality. That's SEC water coolor talk.

Stop Watchin ESPN Maybe 3 Teams Could Do It***

Jul 25, 2021, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stop Watchin ESPN Maybe 3 Teams Could Do It***

Jul 25, 2021, 12:30 PM

ESPN is a non factor. The ACC has sucked. There are probably 8 to 10 teams that would have made the playoff at one point over the last 3 years had they been in the ACC.

Re: Stop Watchin ESPN Maybe 3 Teams Could Do It***

Jul 25, 2021, 5:09 PM

Name them.

Also, any team can get hot one year. Oregon got hot for a year. LSU got hot for a year. You’re talking about grapes versus watermelons man. It’s one thing to get hot and have a good season. It’s another thing to totally dominate the way Clemson has. You can’t compare those two things.

One: name the teams that would’ve gone to the playoffs over the last six years had they played in the ACC.

Two: name the teams that could’ve dominated the way Clemson has over the last six years in the ACC.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

There are not ten teams in the SEC that could win the ACC. Same for the other power 5’s.

Jul 24, 2021, 9:12 PM

We always do.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2021, 9:24 PM

When SEC players start getting major $ deals with NIKE, Adidas and other major sports companies, what do you think that is going to do for recruiting in Tiger Town? It definitely won't help matters. Bojangles verse NIKE?

Bringing in West Virginia is not going to help the ACC and ND will go to the B1G for $54M a year payout rather than stay in the ACC for about $30M.

I grew up a Cemson Fan and all I've ever known is Clemson and the ACC. The new Commisioner has his work cut out for himself or what's left of the ACC will not be a power conference in football and teams like West Virginia are not the answer.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 8:39 AM

Notre Dame can't go to another conference, at least not in the near future. I am not sure for how long, but they are contractually obligated to the ACC. It's here or nothing.

I also don't see how the conference is going to affect the NIL very much. Clemson players are more recognizable than the players on most teams in the SEC. I couldn't pick a single Georgia player out of a line up (something they are use to being in) and that includes JT Daniels. Nike doesn't even care if you win or lose as long as you are recognizable, just look at Kapernick.

Jul 25, 2021, 5:23 PM

The current rights contract is in effect until 2036.

The ACC Contract with ND wouldn't be $30 Million/team***

Jul 25, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

Jul 24, 2021, 9:25 PM

Except when the playoff puts Clemson at the disadvantage of playing as a lower seed... due to conference strength of play preventing us from reaching #1-6 in the ranking system to be employed as this all moves forward....w/o Clemson. Well, there but, at the back of the pack. Brand will fade over time. Trophy case will collect insignificant ACC championships but, hey, it's something we can all be proud of.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Jul 24, 2021, 10:21 PM

Actually, Clemson has won 3 CFB Championships without joining the SEC. All 3 of which have been played while in the ACC. Just sayin'...

Go Tigers!!!

Jul 24, 2021, 11:29 PM

Yes, Clemson has won 3. I remember all three of them. None were won while anywhere but the ACC. Remember what the ACC did to Clemson after that first one?

BTW, what does all of that have to do with the CFB of tomorrow given the changing landscape of CFB today - and the playoff it will certainly spawn?

Oh, wait, Clemson can continue winning ACC Championships if the ACC stays as is. That will be something to be proud of, fer sure.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Jul 25, 2021, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

The 12 team format that I saw gives the top 4 conference champions byes. That means that the SEC only gets 1 bye even if they have all of the top 10 teams in the country. Notre Dame doesn't get a bye unless they join the ACC. This does not seem bad to me.

Jul 24, 2021, 10:26 PM

Imagine Clemson with the kind of recruiting in the SEC and more money and passion by the fanbase than the ACC.

It would be nice, but I think it's unlikely because they already have the Palmetto State market covered.

However, if invited, I would certainly be for moving to the SEC.

Jul 24, 2021, 11:49 PM

State of SC blue chip production is minimal and somewhat of a geographic disadvantage-

We're ranked in the top five classes in recruiting...

Jul 25, 2021, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

year after year. I think part of that is due to not being in the SEC. Some people raise their kids to know better than swim in the septic tank. Those kids all want to be somewhere besides the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're ranked in the top five classes in recruiting...

Jul 25, 2021, 4:51 PM

Yeah, that's what all those parents and kids say, "Any place but the SEC. Bama...Georgia...Florida? No thanks. Give me NC State and Syracuse."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah.. our recruiting is terrible

Jul 25, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

We really could use a boost

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

We don't rank at the top of most recruiting rankings because Dabo makes a commitment to the young man and does not run them off if they are doing what they should and not panning out as a player. We probably average 5 players less per year than Georgia and Alabama.

With average player ranking, we are nearly always in the top 3 or 4. The program's commitment to the players is probably relevant in the quality of player that we get, even if it does hurt us in the official rankings.

Jul 25, 2021, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson won 2 CFB championships without joining SEC ]

Imagine Clemson with the kind of recruiting in the SEC and more money and passion by the fanbase than the ACC.

It would be nice, but I think it's unlikely because they already have the Palmetto State market covered.

However, if invited, I would certainly be for moving to the SEC.

With playoff expansion the SEC can maybe get 6 teams in -in one year. No one will be scared of losing a few games if a good Clemson program goes into the SEC. If the Clemson brand (which is massive now) can bring more negotiation leverage with ESPN and mega $$$ then they will be viable SEC candidates. Clemson is not an “upstate market” but a national brand. If the Tigers mean 10’s of millions to other schools- the deal is good.

We won 3 nattys in this league. We recruit amazing in this league. Not sure that guarantees anything in the future landscape. Strange times they are!

Jul 25, 2021, 12:17 AM

Three...
3 three III THREE...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 8:58 AM

NIL coupled with the ESecPN Media Death Star will make it MUCH HARDER going forward. Recruits will flock to the schools and conferences that provide media opportunities.

Jul 25, 2021, 12:34 PM

It comes down to the question will the NIL give players an advantage for being in the SEC. Would Clemson players make as much being in the ACC? If the answer is yes then Clemson will be fine. If the answer is no then Clemson has a problem. Players are going to go where the money is. College football is not the same game we grew up with or the way it was 2 years ago.

Jul 25, 2021, 12:39 PM

I have been saying for years if money won championships, Texas, Oklahoma state, Oregon, Notre Dame, and a few other schools would dominate the top 10 and win just every national championship. Those schools have more money than God. The Texas and Oklahoma schools have oil money and of course Phil Knight gives Oregon pretty much a blank check.

Jul 25, 2021, 12:50 PM

It's different now, the money now goes directly into the players pockets legally.

Jul 25, 2021, 5:21 PM

It’s not gonna be that much different. People are freaking out over this. You know what we’re gonna find out? Tgat only a handful of players make a lot of money. Only high profile players make a lot of money. The majority of players, the vast majority of players, aren’t gonna make much money. Things are going to be like the wild west for a few years while people adjust. After that it’s not gonna matter.

Clemson has one of the biggest profiles and brands in college football. We’re on TV every freaking week. These players and their families aren’t gonna be fooled by this long term when they see programs doing this and not being successful.

Talent is important. The programs that recruit the best, are consistently the best on the field. But those teams also have the best coaching staffs. Coaching is more important than talent. To be consistently great and to be dominant you have to have both. But there are big-name programs in the SEC that have a ton of talent and they’re not winning. That’s not gonna change with NIL.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Jul 27, 2021, 9:46 AM

I guess you were not born and not in Miami when we won the 1981 Championship like I was. We have 3 Championships.

And we are better off without the SEC

Jul 27, 2021, 12:06 PM

At least from a fan's perspective. I like winning and I like participating in the CFP, and we would be doing a bit less of both if were to join the SEC.

I know they are the 800 pound gorilla, picking winners and losers right now, but they either have to cherry pick and kill every other conference or take a breath, because if the CFP is going to 12 teams, there is no way that 8 of the 12 can come from the SEC. They need other conferences.

Unless some seismic changes happen, I just can't see anyone leaving the ACC anytime soon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic