Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any Turf Science or PRTM grads on the board?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Any Turf Science or PRTM grads on the board?

Jun 27, 2022, 3:44 PM

My son has started expressing an interest in Turf science. He loves playing golf and is interested in the grass and up keep side of the business. Up until this point all he'd ever mentioned was being a PE teacher so we're not really sure what he wants to do at this pint in his life at 16 years.

This morning I had something hit me like a brick while viewing photos of him at a camp working as a counselor. He loves it. He loves sports and working with kids so I'm wondering if we should steer him towards PRTM. They both seem to have very good long term occupation opportunities. I'd appreciate any pros and cons you guys are willing to pass along.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any Turf Science or PRTM grads on the board?

Jun 27, 2022, 3:52 PM

I have an 18 yr old and once he outgrew his plans to be play in the NBA or be a Youtuber he has mentioned being a school teacher and coach then business then physical therapy. They mostly don't know at that age and the coach part is more about what they have seen and who they admire I think.

I'd recommend instead of trying to steer him one way or another that you just expose him to a variety of career paths and people and then see what he gravitates to over and over. If its PRTM that's great or he may see something he hasn't seen yet and it resonates with him.

Jun 27, 2022, 4:10 PM

I agree with not steering, but just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys. We're leaning towards going to tech school for a year or so or seeing if a trade is more up his alley. I keep telling my wife he may not know til hes in his 20's!

Jun 27, 2022, 3:59 PM

I’m prejudice because my son majored in turfgrass and now takes care of a golf facility. I’m also quite familiar with the turfgrass industry. Quite frankly, I think there are a lot more opportunities for better paying jobs in that industry. Parks and Recreation management also has many opportunities, but ultimately all of the higher paying positions are once you have moved up the food change …… like just about all professions except maybe the more technical ones like engineering and computer sciences. Turfgrass isn’t however for someone who doesn’t understand or like physical labor. Starting positions, whether on a golf course, baseball or football field, etc. requires learning from the bottom up and requires mowing, spreading fertilizer, chemical application, understanding equipment, etc.etc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2022, 4:14 PM

You're kind of where I'm heading with the whole physical labor part. He doesn't even cut grass, my fault, but he started talking that way after working as a cart boy at a local course. He hated it but mentioned he'd thought he would've had the chance to learn about seeding, cutting the greens and tee boxes, etc. and when that didn't happen he lost interest.

I did have another guy tell me that maybe not knowing anything is a good thing so he can be taught and learn to do it the right way instead of knowing a little and thinking he knows it all already LOL!

Jun 27, 2022, 4:15 PM

turf would be landscape architecture, not PRTM.

I had a roommate who was a landscape architecture major and he worked his ### off.

At the time, salaries were low and jobs were hard to find and I don't know that it has changed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2022, 5:03 PM

I’m am a retired golf course super. Excellent jobs with good to unbelievable pay. The one thing he must realize is it’s work.

Jun 27, 2022, 7:11 PM

Bush, you are right on. Up early and in all types of weather. Don’t like hard work, then this isn’t for you.

Jun 27, 2022, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Turf Science or PRTM grads on the board? ]

No. Turfgrass is a major all it’s own. It is not landscape architecture.

TRUE...It was offered at one of the Career Centers in GVL

Jun 27, 2022, 8:53 PM

at one point in the early '00's and then got moved to one of the more rural HS's near Bonnie Brae.

Jun 27, 2022, 7:22 PM

You really have to love what you do to be in the Turf business, especially a GC Superintendent. You are under appreciated and overworked. You are at the mercy of the weather and the budget you have to work with. With that said it can be very rewarding when you use your talents and hard work to produce a beautiful GC.

Jun 27, 2022, 7:38 PM

And you’re in the service industry which means when everyone else has a day off, you’re on in prime time. One note if he goes that route, go work on northern courses because they only work 8 mo a year vs southern courses that are year round.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2022, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Turf Science or PRTM grads on the board? ]

I have both degrees, Turfgrass Management and PRTM (Sport Management) and I am a Golf Course Superintendent. It is truly a labor of love but the fruits of your labor are extremely rewarding. I have found most people in turf are extremely passionate about their jobs and profession but just like anything else, they can get burned out with the lack of appreciation and hard work that is many times undervalued.

I knew when I was finishing my PRTM degree at Clemson I wanted to get into the Turfgrass field because I did it as a summer job for two years. Those beautiful early mornings sunrises and late evening sunsets spoke to me and while there are good days and bad days in this job, I can say with 100% certainty that there is nothing else I would want to do.

Jun 27, 2022, 8:40 PM

You are very lucky to have found your calling!

Jun 27, 2022, 9:18 PM

I’ve been a PRT professional for 23 yrs. All I can say is I love my job and getting monetarily wealthy can never be in the plans. However I am mentally happy knowing I am making a difference.

Jun 27, 2022, 9:59 PM

I know retired PE teachers and Turf Management people who are millionaires.

All about having a plan, and leveling up.

If economy tanks I would think PE would be a safer bet, raises virtually every year, coaching/weight room stipends, virtually free courses to obtain masters(another pay bump), holidays and summers off (if you coach or work a side business/hustle that’s more revenue).

Definitely need to follow someone good before you were to choose either.

Jun 28, 2022, 10:08 AM

Guys, thank you all for your input. I'm a firm believer that speaking with someone with real knowledge is the best thing. Based on your replies and a handful of folks I'm going to have my son meet with will be way better than wasting a semester or 5 or 6 LOL and a ton of $$$.

My wife and I are trying to teach our children to find something they love, a vocation instead of an occupation and stick to it. Money isn't everything but as long as you can pay your bills and sleep with a clear conscience every night you can't lose. My wife loves her job, me not so much, but it pays the bills and the trade off is my employers are flexible and never question when I need time off, etc.

Again, Thank You for all your words of wisdom.

Jun 28, 2022, 10:12 AM

Am a Clemson guy but this is one of the best https://www.coastal.edu/business/pga/

Jun 28, 2022, 10:13 AM

sounds good -- or just tell they can have any life that want or do anything they want in life.

Communication skills and decision making

what do I know ???

null

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic