Friday Email Bag
|Friday, July 17, 2015, 10:52 AM- -|
Friday Email Bag
Each Friday I publish your comments and answer your questions. To submit a comment or questions please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deon CainDeon Cain
Fr. Wide Receiver
# 6-1, 190
View Full Profile played QB in high school, do you know if he will be given a chance to play QB? He would be a good insurance policy just in case DeShaun gets hurt and could be used like Pharoh Cooper at USuC.
I don't think we will see Cain at quarterback. He is a guy that we could see in the Wildcat though. Remember it was a formation they used a lot against South Carolina. In that game we saw
Artavis ScottArtavis Scott
So. Wide Receiver
#3 5-10, 190
View Full Profile and Adam HumphriesAdam Humphries
Wide Receiver (2011 - 2014)
#13 5-11, 193
View Full Profile lineup there. Cain could certainly play that role.
Micky, a few questions......
1. Clemson's athletic department had a tiny surplus (revenue = $74,793,322, expenses = $73,456,221) this year (Oregon had the biggest surplus). Why wasn't this a bigger news story? It seemed to be a non-story. I thought I would have seen some articles on the need to cut cost and/or generate more cash.
2. If the athletic department does go into the red, would that affect football operations?Friday Email Bag
3. I recall seeing somewhere, that Clemson had the fewest returning starters in the FBS....is that true?
4. The ACC is the only power 5 program without it's own network....will that change soon so that we can keep up with the Jonses?
5. I understand the need to schedule the opening 2 cupcakes, but won't you miss the big game hype and national exposure that goes along with starting the season off with a big time FBS program?
6. In light of the cloud over the FSU program, I wonder if Clemson is subject to the same thing. It seems I've seen Dabo recruit a few questionable characters over the years. Do you think Clemson is different than other programs, or do we recruit the best athlete regardless of their baggage?
Thanks for the email. Here are a few thoughts in response:
I think the the reason it wasn't a bigger story is because of the nature of the story. Accounting can make things look as you want them to look. How you account for certain revenue and certain expenses can be changed. I would think that most athletic departments can show a loss.
2. If that were to happen, it would have little effect on football. Other sports may see cuts, but it would have to be really bad for football to see any major cuts. Football pays the bills and they have found out that committing to football means more revenue.
3. First, returning starters doesn't tell the entire story. For example,
Cole StoudtCole Stoudt
Quarterback (2011 - 2014)
#18 6-4, 225
View Full Profile started more games than Deshaun WatsonDeshaun Watson
#4 6-2, 205
View Full Profile . So the returning starters number doesn't always tell the whole story. But no, Clemson doesn't have the least starters. Clemson and Alabama have the same amount of returning starters. Louisville is one of the teams with less returners.
4. I think the ACC will have a network fairly soon. The model for the other networks are not great, but the revenue is. I think the ACC will have their revenue increased soon.
5. The hype of the first two games is missed but the season is long. It didn't seem to hurt Ohio State last season. A lot of teams chose to work their way into a season.
6. Clemson's staff does a lot of research in terms of character. You never know with kids but they do pay a lot of attention to character and try to avoid potential problems in advance.
How good is Ben Martin compared to other former Clemson players? How good can he be? Thanks.
Greenwood Tiger Fan
Greenwood Tiger Fan,
Ben is a great player. I don't think he is as talented as some of the other superstars that have come through Larry Penley's program, but Ben is getting better every year. Ben has very few weaknesses. He does everything pretty good. Also he just keeps getting a little better every season. I think he will win more often in the next few years and I like his record on difficult golf courses and in majors. I think we will see him be a factor in majors more in the future. Ben is so consistent and has long, great career ahead.
The Brad Hughes All-State Insurance Agency
|src="https://www.tigernet.com/img/ads/plyler/allstate_logo.gif" border=0> border=0>|
The prayer list is a medium for our community to recognize those that are in need. If you would like to add someone to the list, please email me at email@example.com. Please let me know when it is appropriate to remove a person off the list.
Those who need our prayers include: Jo Ann Bachman, Kenneth Bryant, Pruitt Martin, Got Igers and his family, David Rowland, Leonard, Gillespie and his family, Jim S., Daniel Rosborough, the Huffman family, Nancy Winkler, John Reeve, Vinnie Brock, Kaitlyn L., Susan Miller, Joyce Harley, Steve Proveaux, Jeffrey Greene, the Hutto family, Sherl Drawdy, Caleb Kennedy, Teresa O'Connor, Matt Jacobs, Perrin Seigler, Candee Massee, Lindsey Jordan, Sam Catoe, Tyler Felch, the Nicolopulos family, "the Jacksonville, FL guys," Kim Sims, the Coyle family, Ryleigh Tedder, Steve Lee, Kelly Trakas, Jimmy Moore, the Thomas V. family, Emary Claire Young, Kitty Bowers, Julie Locke, the Scheider family, Lauren Kittles' family, Frank Gentry, Stacey McKeown, Dale Childs, Larry Lentz, Jr., Carl Sharperson, Scott Hannon, William Perry, Tyler Swaney, Lillian, Mark Feit, David Frame, the family of Matthew M. Watson, the Dowis family, Alan Putnam, the Olivers, Lee Tate, Ronnie Abrams, Eddie Greene, the Jackson family, Bill Vader, Jim Taylor, Tina DeWitt, Rock Horne, Bobby Wayne Thomas, Emma and Danielle Carothers, Robert Ditty, Mr. and Mrs. Murray Smith, Millie Heatley, Lynn Martin and family, Michael Pinson, Jake David family, Angie Crowley, Ira, Mike Tolson, Poly Wells, Dr. Muriel Bishop, Jack Cunningham, Emily Jefford Meister, Zachary Stoller, Aaron Clackum, Pat James, Cortney Moore, William Moore, Angelia and Savannah Anderson, William Ross, Scott Johns, Frank Carroll,
Brandon ThompsonBrandon Thompson
Defensive Tackle (2008 - 2011)
#98 6-2, 310
View Full Profile , Alvin Sammons, Georgine McAlhaney, Glen Davis, Mike Price, Clay Childers, Aaron Knight, Danielle Johnston and family, Nicholas Abrams, Lana Kuykendall, Gary, Gary G., William Huggins, Jim Bennett, Chantz Fowler, Ethel McElveen, Michele Gurganus, William Gentry, Lewis Usher and Tanya Sanders, Shon Cooper, Nick Collins, Amanda Peake, Danny Hammond, Chip Turner, Nick Collins, Allen Steen, the Sturkey family, the Lance family, Nick Chrisley's family, Allison Williams, Lt. Kyle Walker, Summer and Joel Johnson, Nicole O'Donnell, James O. Johnson, Joy Pruett and family, Bill Schmidt, Jack Bailey, Gardner Family, Charles Turner, Kathy Bartholomew, Ray Sanders, David and Robin Blocker, J.R. Ray, Kenneth Kowe, Lauren Sielicki, Jenna Phipps, Mark Lawrence, Jonathan and Jacki Sullins, Peter Laboy, Kat and Carlisle Jones, Elizabeth Galloway and family, Anita McDonald, Willard Harryman, Liz Surratt, Molly Senn, Jackie Shearer, Richard Sellers, Tim Drisdelle, Dawson Bourne, Susan and Mike Brown, Julie Goodman Marshall, Willard and Dorothy Harryman, Justin Jernigan, Jack Cunningham, Mia Daughtery, Tee Senn, Bob Garrett, Skylar, Joseph Thomas, Mrs. Nelis, Jeanne Thompson, Sean Rowell, George Parker, Levon KirklandLevon Kirkland
# 0, 0
View Full Profile and family, Catherine Sewell, Randy Davenport, David Vaughn, Keith Dalton, B.T., Bill Hilbig, Rita Elrod Hammond and family, Jim McKeller, Tony Alewine, Sharon Storck, Dick Baird, Richard Bagnal, Dustin and Brittany Peurifoy, Jan Allan, Josh Cox, Gregg and Sylvia Lewis, Travis Hamrick, Kaki Harmon, Jammie McKellar and babies, Karen Edwards, Jackson Lindsey, Cathy Hutson Gregg, Kristin Heckman, Jennifer Johnson, Jay Johnson, Lyndsie Johnson, Emily Davis, Hayes Davis, Judy Towe, Johnny Towe, Ken Brown, Elaine Brown, Rhonda Thompson, Tim Davis, Jacob Greinke, Jack Finley, Richard and Clara Crawford, Zach and Griffin Johnson, Israel, Frankie Allen, Bobby Allen, the Wessinger family, the Parsons family, Todd Price and family, Rosemary A Flynn, Dr. Mickey Shealy family, Mr. Gillespie, Bobbi Nicholson, Earl Gilstrap, Dr. Matt Stower, Tyler Kemmerlin, Parks Hutto, Patrickyy Destefano, Robert Smmerville, Wendell Harrington, Michelle Richey, Julie Moore, Ashley Fitch, Drew Moore, Allison Williams, Nicholas Wickiser, Lena Wright, Donna Springs, Elizabeth Bruner and our great country and the men and women in uniform that protect and serve it every day, plus their families.