Clemson Baseball Preview vs. PC
|Monday, March 21, 2016 5:20 PM-|
• Who - Presbyterian College (11-8) vs. Clemson (16-3)
• Rankings - PRE - NR; CU - No. 17 BA, No. 12 CB, No. 17 USA
• When - Tuesday (6:30 p.m.)
• Where - Clemson, S.C. (Doug Kingsmore Stadium)
• Watch - TigerCast
• Listen - TigerCast, WCCP (105.5FM)
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - Twitter/Instagram (@ClemsonBaseball)
• Tickets - ClemsonTigers.com, 1-800-CLEMSON
• Promotion No. 1 - Family Four Pack - Purchase four tickets and a $10 concession voucher for only $30.
• Promotion No. 2 - Two on Tuesday - Buy one regular-price ticket and get one of equal value for free.
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 62-22 (1906-2015)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 37-9 (1907-2015)
• RHP David Sauer (PRE) vs. LHP Jake Higginbotham (CU)
• Clemson, who has won seven games in a row and 11 home games in a row, swept No. 22 Boston College at home last weekend.
• The Tigers are averaging 7.1 runs per game and hitting .286 with a .394 on-base percentage and 18 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 2.65 ERA, .210 opponents’ batting average and 3.16 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .967.
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE OVERVIEW
• Presbyterian College is led by 12th-year head coach Elton Pollock.
• The Blue Hose won one of three games at The Citadel last weekend. They are hitting .301 and have a 4.54 ERA and .976 fielding percentage.
• Weston Jackson is hitting a team-high .431 with nine doubles, five homers and 22 RBIs, while Tyler Weyenberg is batting .397.
• Clemson is allowing just 1.9 runs per home game.
• Tiger relievers have only allowed nine of 37 inherited baserunners to score.
• Clemson’s predominant first-baseman, Andrew Cox, who has started nine games, suffered a fractured foot against Boston College on Saturday.
SCHMIDT SUPERB AS SENIOR
• Senior righthander Clate Schmidt has emerged as Clemson’s Friday starter in 2016, less than a year after being diagnosed with cancer.
• He has recovered from nodular sclerosing Hodgkin’s lymphoma and has a 4-0 record, 3.00 ERA and .229 opponents’ batting average in 2016.
• In 27.0 innings pitched over his five starts, he has allowed just 22 hits and 13 walks with 28 strikeouts.
• He pitched 5.1 scoreless innings of one-hit ball with six strikeouts to earn the win against No. 18 South Carolina in Greenville on March 5.
• He pitched 7.0 innings with 11 strikeouts to earn the win against No. 22 Boston College at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on March 18.
• In his career, he has a 14-14 record, 4.31 ERA and 138 strikeouts in 200.2 innings pitched over 59 appearances (30 starts).
• His brother, sophomore righthander Clarke Schmidt, is South Carolina’s Friday starter.