Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Will he or won't he?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Will he or won't he?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:11 PM

Will he or won't he?

One of the biggest questions surrounding linebacker Tony Steward concerns not his health, but whether or not a redshirt year is in the plans for the season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Will he or won't he?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:14 PM

There's no reason for him not to.

You have two seniors ahead of him at his position, and two knee injuries in two years isn't something you want to rush.

I think it's a no brainer. Of course I'll probably get flamed for not being a coach and stating my opinion. Because it's a well known fact that anyone who is not a coach can't provide insight into a situation.

Let this guy RS, let him play 3 years and give him the shot he deserves.

you ever think about becoming a writer***

Aug 15, 2012, 4:15 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He already seems qualified to be The G'ville News editor***

Aug 15, 2012, 4:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you ever think about becoming a writer***

Aug 15, 2012, 5:43 PM [ in reply to you ever think about becoming a writer*** ]

Now that you mention it, I have thought about it a time or two.

Writing is a hobby. If I ever had to go back to doing it for a living again I'd have to sell everything I own.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Will he or won't he? ]

I completely agree with you. It would suck for him to have to sit another year w/o playing time, but it would definitely be worth it in the long run I think. Give him time to completely heal and get stronger and faster then when he bursts onto the scene in 2013 he'll be a beast after a game or two of experience.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2012, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Will he or won't he? ]

If Steward is not clearly ahead of Wright something is wrong. He needs to redshirt, what is the rush?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:40 PM

Even if he's 100% at the start of the season, if he's only going to see the field 10-20% of the Defensive plays...then whats the point? You don't waste 2 years of a 5* caliber player like that...specially at LB. I would much rather him take a RS, make sure he's 110% next year...get stronger, faster and have 3 solid years ahead of him to START! We're pretty deep at LB right now anyways. Now if he's 100% this year and going to see the field quite a bit, then thats another story. Just don't let him waste a year of eligibility watching the game from the sidelins.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:41 PM

The only thing that scares me is that we rs him then he blows up next year and leaves for the NFL. It'd be a shame to only get me good yr out of him.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:42 PM

One not me

Aug 15, 2012, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Will he or won't he? ]

Thats true in some sense, but a long shot. He would be draft elligible after next year either way. But its rare for a RS Soph to get drafted 1-2rd of the NFL draft...the LB position is usally a position where NFL scouts want to see more than 1 really good year of production...and more consistancy with no injuries. I'm sure we get 2 good seasons out of him starting at worse.

He's got the talent for that to happen, however you don't

Aug 15, 2012, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Will he or won't he? ]

see LB's making the jump that soon. If he redshirts this year, I say we get atleast 2 more years from him. If he redshirts and goes pro after 1 year, then he will have had one of the best seasons ever for a linebacker. Even then, I'm sure a lot of NFL teams would be scared of him only being 2 years removed from 2 major knee injuries.

With that being said, I would definetly take 1 season of greatness. 2013 is definetly our best at reaching the top anyway.

Aug 15, 2012, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Will he or won't he? ]

Really doubt an NFL team would draft him in low round with only 1 year of playing time and a history of injuries. It would be a great thing if he were to "blow it up" and have a great year and get that draft opportunity. It would mean he became the beast we all know he eventually can become. A RS would solidify his career by getting him 100% healthy and allowing him to show the real Tony Steward. IMHO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as I want to see Steward on the field this year

Aug 15, 2012, 5:17 PM

I think all parties involved would be foolish if they don't redshirt him. I know he wants to be out there with his teammates and definetly doesn't want to wait another year to be back on the field. Who would?

But after having 2 torn ACL's in back to back years, the best thing possible for him would be to redshirt. I believe he is going to be a great player...possibly one of the best at LB we have seen in a long time because he has that kind of talent...but those knees are nothing to play around with. Looking at things long term, a year to heal will only help him. From an NFL standpoint, his chances will be much greater as well.

Re: As much as I want to see Steward on the field this year

Aug 15, 2012, 5:59 PM

I agree!! I sure hope that he R/S`s

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you, will be 2 burned seasons with virtually

Aug 15, 2012, 6:26 PM [ in reply to As much as I want to see Steward on the field this year ]

no play time. Better to just RS now and get this behind and be a RS So healthy, full go, strong, with Corico and Tig gone, and ready to GO.

OK so back to square one, swinney says no and venables

Aug 15, 2012, 6:25 PM

says maybe.

What gives here?

I just don't want to waste a year on 40 snaps

Aug 15, 2012, 6:29 PM

That is just stupid.

Aug 16, 2012, 6:54 AM

3 picks??!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Start off redshirting him

Aug 16, 2012, 9:53 AM

if he gets to a point soon where you think he can be a major contributor to the defense the you burn the redshirt. I don't see what's so hard.

I hope he redshirts.

Aug 17, 2012, 12:52 AM

I will take 2 years of healthy play out of him. I would love to see Steward get healthy and maximize his potential. I think a redshirt, rehabbing, hitting the weights, would do him wonders. I really hope he redshirts.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic