Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Democrats' Energy Policy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 463

Democrats' Energy Policy

May 1, 2008, 12:54 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ POTD***

May 1, 2008, 12:56 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly***

May 1, 2008, 12:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

Ha, ha. Stupid Dems...

May 1, 2008, 12:59 PM

the only real alternatives to oil prices are other fossil fuels or even more oil.

(Sigh)

I like the electric car idea

May 1, 2008, 1:02 PM

Use electricity (mainly produced by coal) to charge batteries full of nasty corrosive material. Then we can dump those old cars and batteries in the landfill next to the mercury-laden compact fluorescent light bulbs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Landfills are pretty safe...just sayin'.***

May 1, 2008, 1:03 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welll, then. Let's just keep the status quo.

May 1, 2008, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I like the electric car idea ]

Signed,

The Pubs.

No...drill for oil

May 1, 2008, 1:13 PM

Signed,

The Conservatives

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not shocked that you see that as change.***

May 1, 2008, 1:16 PM

You don't even see the irony of that approach.***

May 1, 2008, 1:20 PM [ in reply to No...drill for oil ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep***

May 1, 2008, 12:59 PM

Pretty much, yep.***

May 1, 2008, 1:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, that about sums it up.***

May 1, 2008, 1:02 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both parties.***

May 1, 2008, 1:03 PM

In general, that is complete BS.***

May 1, 2008, 1:06 PM

this cartoonist recently won a Pulitzer btw***

May 1, 2008, 1:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this cartoonist recently won a Pulitzer btw***

May 1, 2008, 1:05 PM

That's hilarious!

May 1, 2008, 1:04 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Whoa, let me catch my breath.

Say, weren't the Republicans in the majority for years? What stopped them from doing all those things?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

the democrats

May 1, 2008, 1:06 PM

you can't just do whatever you want because your party is in the majority. the republicans in the 110th Congress have shown sharp legislative tactics in blocking many of the dems. attempts to defund the iraq war, and in blocking some of their more extreme legislation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what happened with the "drill in ANWR" bills?***

May 1, 2008, 1:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Killed repeatedly, almost exclusively by dems....

May 1, 2008, 1:10 PM

2000-present

In December 2000, a Coast Guard report charged Alyeska with repeated safety violations at a Valdez terminal, causing prices to jump again. The administration of U.S. President George W. Bush pushed to perform exploratory drilling for oil and gas in and around the refuge. The House of Representatives voted in mid-2000 to allow drilling. In April 2002, the Senate rejected it.

Arctic Refuge drilling was again approved by the House of Representatives as part of the Energy Bill on April 21, 2005,[7] but the Arctic Refuge provision was later removed by the House-Senate conference committee. The Senate passed Arctic Refuge drilling on March 16, 2005 as part of the federal budget resolution for fiscal year 2006.[8] That Arctic Refuge provision was removed during the reconciliation process, due to Democrats in the House of Representatives who signed a letter stating they would oppose any version of the budget that had Arctic Refuge drilling in it.[9]

On December 15, 2005, Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) attached an Arctic Refuge drilling amendment to the annual defense appropriations bill. A group of Democratic Senators led a successful filibustering of the bill on December 21, 2005, and the language was subsequently removed from the bill.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

By "almost exclusively" you mean "not exclusively"?

May 1, 2008, 1:22 PM

I mean, I realize that Dems don't want drilling. No one denies that.

But how many times have the Pubs helped them out?

- Jonathan Swift

Best I can remember there were about 20 pubs in the....

May 1, 2008, 1:30 PM

HOR that helped kill it once, in that they had it included in a spending bill and then used their leverage to kill with a unanimous dem vote (going from memory here so I may be off on the numbers, but not the sentiment). The HOR has passed ANWR drilling several times since then.

So...in summary...since 2000, a small number of pubs helps the overwhelming majority of dems kill it once. Outside of that, I think it's been all the dems doing in the Senate.

And what did the Dems do, in addition to that?

May 1, 2008, 1:34 PM

Obviously they voted against it that time, with the help of 20 Pubs.

A committee blocked the provision at one point, but I haven't seen that the Pubs weren't involved there.

Is there anything else?

- Jonathan Swift

Maybe gas wasn't $4 per gallon*****

May 1, 2008, 2:29 PM

Who are you and why are you babbling?***

May 1, 2008, 2:53 PM

- Jonathan Swift

To the best of my memory, the dems in the Senate have.....

May 1, 2008, 2:53 PM [ in reply to And what did the Dems do, in addition to that? ]

killed about 3 separate efforts to pass drilling in ANWR since 2000 using various forms of the filibuster.

Let me put it this way...had about 5 or Dem senators been for opening up ANWR...they could have stopped the filibuster in 2005 and ANWR would be open now.

Ok...

May 1, 2008, 2:57 PM

Let me put it this way...had about 5 or Dem senators been for opening up ANWR...they could have stopped the filibuster in 2005 and ANWR would be open now.

So in 2005 every Pub senator was in favor? And what went on in the House that year?

Not meaning to quibble, but people tend to point the finger at their disfavored party without recognizing the contribution of their favored party.

- Jonathan Swift

Yes...in 2005....

May 1, 2008, 3:11 PM

I want to say 1 from the GOP voted against and 4 dems voted for it. 2 votes or so short of stopping a filibuster. I think Lincoln Chafee (sp?) was the one against.

The HOR passed ANWR drilling as part of the Energy Bill in 2005. Senate killed it in negotiations due to GOP not being able to beat a filibuster in the Senate.

I understand your basic point, but this one is pretty darn cut and dry...about as much so as will ever be seen in politics.

Thanks for explaining the facts of it.***

May 1, 2008, 3:30 PM

- Jonathan Swift

you need 60 votes in the Senate to do anything****

May 1, 2008, 1:06 PM [ in reply to That's hilarious! ]

Look up the definition of filibuster and then....

May 1, 2008, 1:07 PM [ in reply to That's hilarious! ]

research the off-shore drilling and ANWR debates and bills.

We're just gonna have to take our lumps here.***

May 1, 2008, 1:13 PM [ in reply to That's hilarious! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sad but true.***

May 1, 2008, 1:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 463
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic