Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
R.I.P. to my uncle Rick, the Codfather
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

R.I.P. to my uncle Rick, the Codfather

Aug 10, 2022, 7:40 AM

My uncle Rick was a surfer, and a beach bum - often literally.

He spent long chunks of his life out of touch with his family. Most of the time we didn't really know that much about what he was doing or exactly where he was. We did know his life revolved around surfing every chance he could. We knew he always wanted everyone around him to have a good time, and was funny and charming and loved the ladies. They loved him too.

Rick doing a headstand:

It was only after Rick died that we learned the extent of his surfing family. They ranged from homeless vets to business owners, professionals, ex-cons, preachers, kids, musicians and artists. They got together and raised money for his funeral expenses, and arranged a memorial service for him on the beach - his beach - in Surf City, NC.
Over a hundred people showed up this past Sunday to pay their respects and participate in the service.

It turned out to be one of the coolest things I have ever experienced.

He'd spent time in the Navy and a military flag-folding service with Taps was first, then some music and shared words about Rick.

Flag presented to Rick's brother (my dad):

Telling Rick stories - more laughs than tears:

Afterwards was the highlight, a paddle-out to scatter flowers and his ashes at sea. Rick's surfing family invited my brother and I to participate in the paddle-out, and even provided surfboards for us to use since we are definitely NOT surfers.

Paddle-out circle from the pier:

A local sign shop made a sticker in his honor and handed them out. After the paddle-out we gathered for drinks at an oyster bar overlooking the scene.

The Codfather sticker (with pants):

Everybody had funny Rick stories. In the water, he was famous for his skill, his enthusiasm for surfing and having fun, his encouragement of others and his iconic headstand, which he performed both with and without pants.
Out of the water, he was a great carpenter and a hard worker - as long as the waves were flat. He always had a smile on his face and a beer in his hand, and although he couldn't or wouldn't stop himself from drinking, he helped save others from their alcohol demons. More than one person swore they owed their life to Rick and many more said he'd helped them through the hardest parts of their lives. He loved to help his friends and was incredibly generous with what little he ever had.

From the outside it was easy to think that Rick's life didn't amount to much. He didn't last in the Navy. He never made much money, and he usually didn't have shoes on. He never married or had kids of his own. When he died he didn't even have a car, or a home, or enough posessions to fill a box.

But Rick knew how to live life, maybe better than most of us. And he was loved.

Rest in Peace, Uncle Rick.

The Codfather:

Cool video of the paddle-out from a drone:
(0:52 for surfboard pathway and crowd; 1:13 for surfers going in; 2:55 burial at sea).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeoKMqlpS7o

BTW: A thousand thanks to Wes Rider for spearheading the memorial.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. RIP Rick.***

Aug 10, 2022, 7:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Def lived Life!***

Aug 10, 2022, 7:46 AM

This ranks up there among the coolest things I have seen.

Aug 10, 2022, 7:49 AM

Seriously. No one will remember what sh*t you owned or how "successful" you were, but when you touch lives the way The Codfather did, you leave a legacy that lives on long past your time here.

Might be some dust in this room...

Mucho respect to this man and RIP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry for your loss.

Aug 10, 2022, 7:50 AM

And this will probably be the coolest thing I read today. Pretty sure I would have loved to have met Uncle Rick.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That seems to me like a life extremely well-lived. Thanks

Aug 10, 2022, 7:55 AM

for sharing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Condolences to you. Rick definitely knew how to live,

Aug 10, 2022, 7:58 AM

much better than most of us. There's a lesson there, and we should all honor Rick by embracing it and living it as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'll give you and him the best compliment I can

Aug 10, 2022, 7:59 AM

After reading that, I feel that I really missed out from not knowing this guy. Godspeed, Codfather.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIPcurl Codfather

Aug 10, 2022, 8:05 AM

What a wonderful legacy

Thanks for sharing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

what a life Uncle Rick! thanks for sharing

Aug 10, 2022, 8:33 AM

and sorry for your loss

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Now that is a cool uncle***

Aug 10, 2022, 9:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

What a legacy!***

Aug 10, 2022, 9:08 AM

GREAT tribute and so sorry for your loss

Aug 10, 2022, 9:14 AM

Seemed like an incredible guy, just L I V I N

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP indeed

Aug 10, 2022, 9:23 AM

wow, thanks for sharing that man, great post

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's ####### cool.

Aug 10, 2022, 9:59 AM

Life isn't nearly as complicated as we make it, and a few lucky people understand that.

Great tribute, and RIP Uncle Rick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love this...

Aug 10, 2022, 10:41 AM

what a life well lived. And to touch so many lives. Wow.

I have a step-brother that everyone in the family tsk-tsks about all the time. "He's got no direction, no drive! He's not building a life!"

Dude chose to move out to Boulder and rock climb with a bunch of buddies. They all worked little jobs, bike shops, outdoor stores, etc. and they paid for their hobbies with the money. Found a place where the landlord would let them convert the indoor spaces to climbing/bouldering rooms and turned their house into a playground. He took up Jiujitsu and snowboarding as side hobbies. Eventually jiujitsu became his main hobby. He helps teach at the local dojo for a couple o bucks on the side. If you ask him about the latest TV show or movie, he has no idea. He's a chess genius and plays in online tournaments. He reads a ton of books.

And then he inherited a BUNCH of money from his dad and grandad who both died around the same time.

And he lives EXACTLY how he was living before. Drives a straight shift corolla because the WRX he was driving resulted in him losing his license and riding a bike everywhere. He spends about the same he used to spend and works about as much as he used to work and his inheritance grows at a pretty fast clip now.

And all the stressed out, burned out, rich but struggling to maintain people around him are like, "What is he going to do with his life?"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People seem to hate when they see others that don't live

Aug 10, 2022, 10:48 AM

like they do. Maybe they are scared they are doing the wrong thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have these really weird, ingrained definitions for things

Aug 10, 2022, 10:59 AM

like "success", and "happiness", and those are generally associated more with money than anything else. Money is the end all be all, and it doesn't matter if you have to do something that makes you miserable to get money, if you get it, then you'll be successful and happy.

I'm certain the vast majority of this country believes themselves to be happier than primitive, tribal cultures in South America and Africa. Why? Because we have iPhones and cars?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure when my mindset on that did a 180.

Aug 10, 2022, 11:02 AM

I used to think those same things, but I look at it completely different now. To me, now, its much more mental.

Johnny Cash

Aug 10, 2022, 2:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QphglQu3oL0&ab_channel=rockero180

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the story about the old fisherman and the

Aug 10, 2022, 11:29 AM [ in reply to We have these really weird, ingrained definitions for things ]

vacationing CEO.

Some people think we're supposed to "follow the rules."

Aug 10, 2022, 12:43 PM [ in reply to People seem to hate when they see others that don't live ]

Maybe they feel they're supposed to do what their parents did or what their parents told them they should do. Then when they see people doing whatever they want and having a good time it's like, "Hey, you're not supposed to do that!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SzvsMFaek&ab_channel=Radiohead-Topic

I live a pretty typical suburban life not because it's what's expected, but because it's what I prefer to be doing. I have mucho respect and admiration for the Codfather even though that's not the life for me. What it means to live life to the fullest varies from person to person.

On a side note, I know some people who know some people who had two adventurous twenty-something daughters. The one daughter was big into rock climbing and one day something went wrong and she fell to her death. Then the other daughter was on some journey across India when she was attacked and killed by a crocodile. They both died within like a year of each other. Sometimes when I feel like maybe I'm missing out by not being more adventurous I remember those girls and suddenly feel quite content sitting on the patio listening to a baseball game by the fire pit.

Link to story

Aug 10, 2022, 12:52 PM

https://www.nj.com/morristown-green/2010/05/post_3.html

Re: Some people think we're supposed to "follow the rules."

Aug 10, 2022, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Some people think we're supposed to "follow the rules." ]

I want to live a long fulfilling life. But, if I have to choose between long or fulfilling, I'd rather it be fulfilling, and that means different things to different people.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should all be so fortunate. You say poor Toby?

Aug 10, 2022, 12:40 PM [ in reply to I love this... ]

I say poor us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZxI7JKvNn0

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love this...

Aug 10, 2022, 12:49 PM [ in reply to I love this... ]

Sounds like he has great direction.

Thanks for sharing. Great story on an amazing human!***

Aug 10, 2023, 9:41 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rick sounds like he was a cool dude.***

Aug 10, 2022, 10:50 AM

Re: R.I.P. to my uncle Rick, the Codfather

Aug 10, 2022, 11:53 AM

Sounds like a super-cool, great guy who unlike so many, actually figured it all out.

Re: R.I.P. to my uncle Rick, the Codfather

Aug 10, 2022, 12:57 PM

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like his life meant a lot to a lot of people.

Surf's up...

Aug 10, 2022, 1:37 PM

in the afterlife, wax the board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Aug 10, 2022, 2:37 PM

RIP Rick you deserve it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks everyone - been away all day and just seeing

Aug 10, 2022, 3:58 PM

all of these responses. I thought the story was too good to keep to myself.

Wow the responses tho.

Cod dang Rick, RIP

Aug 10, 2022, 5:27 PM

T's and p's for all his family and friends.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic