Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, I know that I'm not the first one to do this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 3457

So, I know that I'm not the first one to do this...

Sep 25, 2011, 12:58 PM

and I also know that it's ultimately a waste of time that will gain no traction, but after glowing in the win yesterday...as always ESPN started getting under my skin. I couldn't take it...here is the result I sent to ESPN.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to express some ongoing frustrations concerning the announcing/commentating/writing that happened yesterday, and continues to happen year after year. I usually am not one to take the time to write a letter, but I am truly disappointed in some of the efforts by your staff, particularly as it relates to the Clemson Tigers.

As an alumni of Clemson University, I am truly passionate about Clemson Athletics, and specifically enamored with our rich tradition. I believe, for all college athletics, this is something that truly sets it apart. In the past ESPN has done a terrific job covering things such as Howard's Rock and "Running Down the Hill - The Most Exciting 25 Seconds in College Football." When Gameday came to Clemson in 2006 the atmosphere was electric, and your coverage team was phenomenal. Even as recently as last week versus Auburn, Urban Meyer did an outstanding job in the booth.

However, I am continually aggrivated, and ultimately distracted from my programming, by two things:

1: Clemson is pronounced EXACTLY how it is spelled. There is not a 'Z' or a 'P' in the name (ie. ClemPson/ClemZIN).

2: Clemson is the ONLY Division 1A school that still allows their fans to come onto the field after a football game. Our fans always do it...WIN OR LOSE. While it may be more excitable after a win, it ALWAYS happens, and should not be considered as our fans "rushing the field after a 'mediocre' win."

After yesterday's great win by our football team I went onto the field, rubbed the rock and left the stadium. Immediately after I checked ESPN Mobile for a post game recap, only to find the writer literally berating our team for "rushing the field like we just won the National Title." I noticed this was changed, but also heard one of the announcers on College Football Final taking another jab at us for "two weeks of field rushes."

As it relates to the pronunciation of our school's name, well honestly it's just embarrassing. Imagine your announcers mispronouncing Oklahoma, Alabama, Nebraska or any other school's name. How is this continually allowed to happen?

All I ask is that someone does a little research before incorrectly mocking our school on national television. You are THE respected authority in sports reporting, and I expect better. Schools rely on you as their outlet to the nation. After many years of broadcasting/coverage I am blown away when I continue to see these two things so blatantly wrong and freely broadcasted. Many announcers are guilty over the years and I understand that not every announcing team can have a Brent Musburger/Kirk Herbstreit or Brad Nessler/Todd Blackledge combo. But every announcing team should take pride in their broadcast and show enough respect to give the school it's due diligence.

I would truly appreciate your future correction in this matter. Thank you very much for your time and all you do. Here's to a great finish to the best time of year, College Football season. GO TIGERS!

Regards,

Philip C. Kidd

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good letter from "an alumni"***

Sep 25, 2011, 12:59 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good letter from "an alumni"***

Sep 25, 2011, 1:02 PM

yeah...i noticed that too. Too late. I was frustrated. lol

Re: So, I know that I'm not the first one to do this...

Sep 25, 2011, 1:09 PM

All those things aggravate me too! Thanks for telling it like it is!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, I know that I'm not the first one to do this...

Sep 25, 2011, 1:10 PM

Great letter Phillip, and thanks for taking the initiative.

Maybe you could send another letter to the Clemson Athletic Department suggesting they send an info packet to ESPN and other broadcast media educating them to the many Clemson traditions, including fans coming onto the field after games (win or lose) as well as the correct pronunciation of the school.

Again, good letter and thanks for sending and sharing with the rest of us.

Good suggestion, stltiger. It might actually help.***

Sep 25, 2011, 3:47 PM

Disagree on 1 majot point

Sep 25, 2011, 1:30 PM

Clemson IS correctly pronounced with a P. Clempson. Been doing this for 59 years- trust me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No...pretty sure that's just southern Influence...

Sep 25, 2011, 1:40 PM

I'm no English major, but I've never heard of a silent 'P'...

If there was supposed to be a 'P' in it, then it would be spelled that way.

Am I wrong?

I should rephrase

Sep 25, 2011, 1:43 PM

Words can BEGIN with silent letters, but there is no silent P in the middle...

I had an English class at Clemson, and the professor said

Sep 25, 2011, 2:31 PM [ in reply to No...pretty sure that's just southern Influence... ]

that there is no way we can pronounce it the way we do without inserting a "p" after the "m."

The professor basically said that, when transitioning from the "m" to the "s," that it is impossible to do so without making the "p" sound. The professor went on to say that the "z" sound is correct. On the other hand, he admitted that we don't have to like it; we can pronouce it any way we want.

I won't get into the details of the "instruction," but I will say that I said to myself: "Self, I know I can pronounce Clemson the way we do without inserting a "p" after the "m!" Maybe this professor cannot, but I sure can!"

Regardless of the academic position on the subject, I still don't like the "Clemson with a 'p'" comments. And if Clemson chooses to pronounce it a certain way, THAT is the way it should be pronounced!

Re: I had an English class at Clemson, and the professor said

Sep 25, 2011, 2:39 PM

hahaha. I knew someone would be correcting me. I'm actually glad to hear someone with an actual explanation. But I'm with you, I can do it without a 'P' or 'Z'.

Granted, if you say it fast/fluid enough, it does hint towards those silent letters, but that's not really what I was referring to. I was pointing out the forced P/Z that they put in the word.

There's a difference in the word having that sound, and an idiot announcer FORCING it in there and giving it a hard pronunciation...

Right. They are capable of pronouncing it like we do.

Sep 25, 2011, 2:55 PM

Don't know why they don't try harder.

There's a county here in middle Georgia called "Houston." It sounds like "House-ton," not like Houston, Texas pronounces its city.

Well, do they mis-pronounce Houston, Texas? No.

When both our boys and girls won the Little League World Series, did ESPN mis-pronounce Houston County (home of the city of Warner Robins). No.

They can handle Clemson, too. I have faith in them that if they really, really try hard, THEY CAN DO IT!!!

Easy: Clem-son

Sep 27, 2011, 11:55 AM [ in reply to I had an English class at Clemson, and the professor said ]

That's all there is to it. And tell that English prof he needs to give me all his salary since that class because he canot pronounce the name of the University that employs him.

Sheesh

Re: No...pretty sure that's just southern Influence...

Sep 25, 2011, 2:32 PM [ in reply to No...pretty sure that's just southern Influence... ]

psycology
physical
phase
psyco

All silent P's. Clempson!

lol, just kidding man.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No...pretty sure that's just southern Influence...

Sep 25, 2011, 2:42 PM

I'll do you one better, I conceded that there are silent P's at the beginning of words, but said I'd never heard one in the middle...

CORPS...technically the opposite of the ClemPson argument, but I found a way to prove myself wrong...lol.

Its a proper name so the english rules just don't apply

Sep 25, 2011, 2:39 PM [ in reply to No...pretty sure that's just southern Influence... ]

I guess we need to check with ole Thomas' family and see how they pronounce their name.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree on the issue regardng running onto the field.

Sep 25, 2011, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Disagree on 1 majot point ]

Disagree in the P thang. ;)

When in the south do as the southerners...Clempson SC Baby!

Clem-Son or Clempson are both acceptable in my book although I prefer Clempson. There's nothing to be ashamed of being a southerner with a twang.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree on the issue regardng running onto the field.

Sep 25, 2011, 2:56 PM

yeah...I can understand this point. The ZIN is the most frustrating.

I'm okay with a little southern drawl...lol. Just don't hard pronounce the P in the word, and you're golden. ;)

IF Clemson turns into CL-IMP-SON, then you forced the middle too hard in my opinion...

And don't forget how they pronounce Dabo's name

Sep 25, 2011, 1:37 PM

It's southern - it's Dabo, with a short "a". It's not "Dahbo" like he's French or something. There's no culture to it. It's a southern, childhood nickname.

It's pathetic how little research these guys do - especially in regards to "rushing the field." We are one of the few, if not the only, major D1 school to allow fans on to the field and I think it's great. I remember when I was a kid and going out on the field and seeing all these giant football players out on the field and throwing a football around with my family. Loads of fun. We rush the field every game because we love our team! Period!

If they would learn that it stemmed from.......

Sep 25, 2011, 1:50 PM

his brother calling him "that boy" they would realize that a was short.

Heck, Wikipedia has that

Sep 25, 2011, 1:53 PM

The media ain't what it used to be

This is a problem from our sports info dept.

Sep 25, 2011, 1:53 PM [ in reply to If they would learn that it stemmed from....... ]

They are charged with providing information on everything Clemson to the media, and if the media doesn't know about these certain things, then it is our own fault.

Re: This is a problem from our sports info dept.

Sep 25, 2011, 2:28 PM

Wrong. The info is supplied. That doesn't mean they read it or understand it.
And for what it's worth .... the media is responsible for 75% of what is wrong in this country!

We spelt Clemson for them, letter by letter like 500 times***

Sep 25, 2011, 3:40 PM [ in reply to And don't forget how they pronounce Dabo's name ]

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Took the words out of my mouth

Sep 25, 2011, 1:43 PM

I just finished reading all of the national articles and watching the replay of Football Final on the ESPN family of networks and came to my computer to write the EXACT same post.

While the past two weeks were huge (and especially feel good) victories for our program, the crowd on the field is NOTHING UNUSUAL. It really gets under my skin that these commentators and writers keep mentioning it in a satirical fasion and taking underhanded shots at our fans and program. I agree with another poster that perhaps someone within our program needs to send some sort of information packet to these national media outlets letting them know our traditions.

On a side note, Isn't it great that this is what I have to complain about on a Sunday!!!!!! GO TIGERS

You'd think that having covered hundreds of Clemson

Sep 25, 2011, 2:29 PM

games over the years that they'd make the logical assumption that we always run on the field. They REALLY can't be surprised at this point, can they?

GO TIGERS

I'd be surprised if they gave a ###?

Sep 25, 2011, 2:35 PM

They care as much about Clemson as I care about espin, evidently. I say it again, EUCK fSPiN and GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sad part several jackwagons on here did not know

Sep 25, 2011, 2:41 PM

that we go onto the feild after the game.

Outstanding. I don't see how they could not appreciate your

Sep 25, 2011, 2:46 PM

sincerity.

Nice letter (except for "alumni", which you

Sep 25, 2011, 3:45 PM

acknowledge.) ;) You point out things that have bugged many of us for years. As for the discussion about pronunciation, I have no trouble saying Clemson without a P sound, nor does anyone in my family.

Re: Nice letter (except for "alumni", which you

Sep 25, 2011, 3:49 PM

Good news is, the email failed to send the first time, so I got to correct it before I sent it in. ;)

Good! I hope your letter will help.***

Sep 25, 2011, 3:52 PM

I emailed also and said something eloquent, like

Sep 26, 2011, 10:21 AM

"ESPN You Suck!". Point to you for taking the time to do that.

Replies: 32
| visibility 3457
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic