Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The view from the pulpit about Duke and the Final Four
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

The view from the pulpit about Duke and the Final Four

Mar 29, 2010, 9:06 AM

From the Good Book: "Do not be deceived; neither Duke Worshippers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals will inherit the kingdom."

---

I hadn't stepped into the pulpit since football season ended, but it seems more thana few of the faithful have slipped, trapped by the glittering lure into false dogma.

It seems so easy to fall in line behind the train of Duke idolaters, kissing the robe of He Who's Name Cannot Be Spelled. Follow their delided, blue-body painted minions down the broad path of destruction of all that is decent if you will.

Follow Duke, and here's what awaits: damnation. Utter and total damnation. Old and young, sick and well, matrons and virgins, (if there be any virgins amongst you, which is not likely,)

Do you really need me to remind you of the fiery blue tongues of #### fire that await those who embrace Duke? Follow the Devils and be d@mned! D@mned, I tell you!

Do you ever stop to think what that word means? No, you don't. You're too busy spouting the mind-rotting pablum that "Duke winning is good for Clemson." Vile recriminations await any who would dare utter such blasphemy. Your poor, sinful bodies stretched out on red-hot gridirons in the fiery pit of hell and those demons mocking you for eternity.

You know what it's like when you burn your hand, it stings with a fearful pain? And you run to clap a bit of butter on it to take the pain away?

Well, I'll tell you, there'll be no butter in hell! No butter at all for those who follow the wayward doom-sired belief that cheering for Duke is good for Clemson!

But be warned: that trail leads only to one end....Gamecockery. That's right, the miserable, crawlin' worms of sportsdom.

There is no good that can come from a true son of Clemson to cheer for the blue-coated Satan's spawn, led by that high priest of ratdom. None. Embracing the wayward lies of Duke are as the embrace of a wanton woman: words sweet as honey that become bitter as wormwood, a pox that corrupts the soul.

Is this the sort of world you wish to leave to your children? Embrace Duke and before long your children will be flopping on the floor, whining when a parental decision doesn't go their way, and camping in the front yard.

Turn from this vile, self-debasing path. Remember: you are Tigers, the one true team of the Almighty.

And remember: There is no butter in ####.

(Many thanks to my mentor, Amos Starkadder for some Monday morning inspiration).

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES!!!!! PREACH IT REV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Mar 29, 2010, 9:19 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

LOL. Pointed you for creativity, quality and humor. Good

Mar 29, 2010, 9:39 AM

job.

But I disagree. In an era where money is so important and TV contracts can make or break program, and since any new contract will place more worth on our basketball than football, I frankly wish any two ACC teams were in the Final Four. I really don't care who, but if its Duke and UNC, so be it.

As to why Duke is in the Final Four, there is only one reason: they have better players, and the players the have play better ball because they are better coached. The refs didn't do it, and there is no consipracy. And it may be true that Scheyer makes funny faces, Zoubeck is a banger, and K drops f-bombs. Get over it. They're better.

And yes, its good for us. Was the decline of ACC football good for us? Where are the trophies? How's Raycom workin' out?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Poor lost soul.....

Mar 29, 2010, 9:46 AM

I pray you remember this day when your poor, parched tongue sticks to the roof of your mouth, as you beg the tormenting demons for a cup of warm spit to sooth your agony.

No pity, no relief, no butter....

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

:) Come to the dark side, my son.***

Mar 29, 2010, 10:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bah! What should it profit a man...

Mar 29, 2010, 10:13 AM

...to gain the world but lose his soul?

Bow down before me!

Good question. I'm thinking TV contracts and the

Mar 29, 2010, 10:28 AM

recruiting exposure, money, and future positioning that comes with it.

Fumbling around with jusin.tv and ESPN 360 -- talk about your dark side! Come to think of it:

"Watch out that no one deceives you. Many will come in my name...and will deceive many. Amd many false prophets will arise and deceive many people. False prophets will appear....and deceive even the elect."

My brothers and sisters who love the true Clemson, I call on you to recognize this false prophet, who calls on you to hate our ACC brethren, and cast him out. Is hate not surely the tool of the False One? Love your neighbor, even as you slay him on the field of battle, and enjoy the wealth of mutual prosperity.

The Blue Devil cites scripture when suits his purpose.....

Mar 29, 2010, 10:35 AM

never in my missive did I call for hatred. But I do exort the faithful to shun the woebegon path of idol worship.

We are called to be a peculiar people, free of the stain of Durhamism. You cannot dance with the Blue Devil without becoming sullied by his perfume.

Sorry, Rev...

Mar 29, 2010, 10:46 AM

I'm almost always in agreement with you, but not this time.

Clemson's reputation is directly linked to (though not wholly reliant upon) the ACC's reputation. For the sake of strength of schedule, money, exposure, and recognition, I will hop on board with the teams of the ACC when pitted against non-ACC foes.

Root against Duke when they play Virginia Tech or Florida State or any other ACC team. But when the ACC steps into the ring against non-ACC, it is in Clemson's best interests that the ACC come out on top.

There's a reason so many national championship winning coaches line up for SEC football jobs: it's the best competition and the one with the most exposure. ACC basketball is no different.

Without the opportunity to play against Duke, UNC, Maryland, Wake, and other national championship winning teams, Clemson wouldn't attract top notch coaching like Purnell and top notch talent like what we're starting to get.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An interesting observation...

Mar 29, 2010, 10:58 AM

...and one upon which we must agree to disagree.

Does a rising tide indeed float all ships? The argument might have merit.

But does Duke sinking hurt Clemson? I don't think that argument can be made.

If UNC was in the final four, or Wake, or Lord help us, Maryland, is it the team or the affiliation that's being cheered for in your argument. And if it is the conference, why would those doing so be any more noble than Gamecocks with their SEC drumbeating?

That's not a road I ever care to tread. Beware your step on your journey, lest you emerge with another teams colors and leaving your soul behind.

I won't call it Gamecockery

Mar 29, 2010, 11:15 AM

I see Conference Pride and a Gamecock's interpretation of Conference Pride as two different things.

Gamecocks fully believe that by being in the SEC, they are entitled to a certain reputation without earning their keep. They provide little to the conference, yet they feel they should be rewarded for being in it.

My view of conference pride, however, rests on the idea that it is simply gravy on the 'taters. Clemson has to perform for conference prestige to kick in. We will reap the benefits of being in the ACC when we compete for its crown. I would argue the only reason we were a 7 seed and not worse in this year's tournament is because of our status in the ACC.

To answer your question regarding whether I'm cheering for a team or an affiliation, I will say that I am, indeed, rooting for the affiliation. I am by no means a Duke 'fan.' But I see Duke's success against non-Clemson as a benefit to Clemson.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair enough: You now know the razor on which you dance...

Mar 29, 2010, 11:21 AM

Be mindful of your step.

My faithful son, you are bowing to secular logic. The

Mar 29, 2010, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Sorry, Rev... ]

spiritual forces here far outweigh the mind of man. The Rev, that false prophet of discord, is engaged in a timeless battle for the soul of T-Net. The dark forces seek to place brother against brother, then laugh as we drag each other down to the pit where the souls of their past conquests -- the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, Mid America and yea even the Big East - languish in eternal torment.

There, but for the Grace of the Almighty, go we.

What he said....I think!

Mar 29, 2010, 11:16 AM

Ultimately we cheer for the teams we cheer for, and we must stand in in judgement for our deeds.

I know as long as I cheer for Clemson, no harm will come to me.

I could never say the same in cheering for a team from the Tobacco Road to Perdition.

Well there is one good thing that can become of it...money.***

Mar 29, 2010, 10:06 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Praise the Lord

Mar 29, 2010, 10:31 AM

Thank you for showing these jokers that their way leads only to damnation of the Clemson spirit.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw something nasty in the woodshed....

Mar 29, 2010, 11:13 AM

yes... but did it see you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

amen... please pass me a rattlesnake... and biggie size it***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic