Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
10 Year Plan to Make Clemson a NIL Powerhouse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

10 Year Plan to Make Clemson a NIL Powerhouse

Feb 15, 2022, 7:39 AM

It has been 239 days since NIL legislation was passed by the NCAA. I have bitten my tongue up until now because I wanted to take adequate time to think things over as I do with any important life matter.

I now firmly believe that Clemson’s success in football was the root cause of this legislation being passed. Big schools up north like Purdue, Penn State and Rutgers couldn’t stand seeing a little guy do what they never could by beating up on powerhouses like OSU and Alabama. Each of those colleges have 3X more living alumni than Clemson. I don’t care about the dead alumni because they aren’t offering up NIL deals, God bless even their yankee souls.

As I passed through campus on my way to bet on another junior golf tournament Saturday, I couldn’t help but wonder how we could squeeze at least another 15,000 students onto campus so we don’t fall further behind. Ideally, I’d like to see Clemson pump up its enrollment from 20,868 to 55,621 so we could catch up to the others in less than 10 years. Dabo should still be in his coaching prime and we would have enough successful alumni running car dealerships, energy drink companies and restaurant franchises to compete with the big boys in terms of NIL payments to players.

I know housing that many more students immediately will be an issue. Kids nowadays like outdoorsy stuff, so I’m thinking it would be feasible to put a tent village in the Calhoun Field Laboratory. This would enable us to start ramping up by this summer semester. Kids would also love it if we put a decommissioned cruise ship(s) on Lake Hartwell. Kids entering college now grew up watching The Suite Life with Zach and Cody so it makes complete sense if you stop and think about it. There are a few used ships for sale on the internet for around $30 million each which is about a third of what it would cost to build a new dorm. With the amount of lake frontage available, we would do well to buy a few of them.

I’m thinking if we all do our part during this 10 year transition, Dabo should be able to keep reeling off 10 win seasons with a championship or two sprinkled in. Once we are fully up to speed, I don’t see anyone competing with us.

On a personal note, I’d like to thank the women I shared this plan with last night at Applebee’s happy hour if they are reading this. Being Valentine’s Day and all, I realize you may have been looking for romance so I appreciate you letting me bounce my ideas off you before posting it here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 10 Year Plan to Make Clemson a NIL Powerhouse

Feb 15, 2022, 7:50 AM

Well thought out. I wonder if we could get a decommissioned aircraft carrier out on Hartwell?

Feb 15, 2022, 8:00 AM

I just looked online. Brazil is selling a used one for only $1.25 million but I’m guessing it will need a lot of work. The flat deck could double as a recreation area with basketball courts, picnic tables and a fishing pier so the powers that be should really look into it.

Feb 15, 2022, 8:20 AM

And maybe a zip line from the aircraft carrier to a lower decommissioned submarine that has a cool bar inside that by day just serves wings, burgers, chicken sammies, and alcoholic drinks of course, but at night turns into a club.

^^^ BEST IDEA EVER ^^^***

Feb 15, 2022, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: 10 Year Plan to Make Clemson a NIL Powerhouse ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2022, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: 10 Year Plan to Make Clemson a NIL Powerhouse ]

Lol, putting an Aircraft Carrier in Lake Hartwell, it wouldn't leave enough room for the yachts to pass each other without scrapping the bank!!!;) And it would cause the Lake to rise to high for houses close to the banks;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2022, 9:17 AM

Not true. An aircraft carrier is only 1,092 feet. The one in this picture is at scale. There is plenty of room to pack in a whole bunch of them but that might look suspicious. Kids will think they are at VMI or the Navy College.

I still like the cruise ship idea better.

Everything has gone to online learning now.

Feb 15, 2022, 8:14 AM

I don't see why Clemson can't have 600,000 students.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Everything has gone to online learning now.

Feb 15, 2022, 8:25 AM

I debated about that in my head for something like 23 days. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that people that get their degrees online don’t have as strong of a bond with the university and will be less likely to cough up money to pay players. If that weren’t the case, the SEC would probably have already let University of Phoenix Online join.

By my estimation, every real student equals 25 online students in terms of NIL purchasing power so your 600,000 number is probably what it would take.

The real question is whether or not we would want that. It could potentially dilute the value of the Clemson degree if it got out of control. Also, it would take a #### ton of bandwidth to educate that many people. Costs would get out of control.

Feb 15, 2022, 8:30 AM

Some of best plans have been hatched while drinking. At least that's what I told myself while at HH.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2022, 8:33 AM

I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was hitting the free WiFi at Applebee’s pretty hard last night confirming the enrollment and alumni base figures.

Feb 15, 2022, 8:32 AM

Easier and much quicker would be to add a Clemson/USC NIL lottery game. The current lottery rules might ... might ... be enough to use lottery proceeds for NIL, but if not, the state legislature could amend the current law. Current levels brought in for clear education purposes would need to be set as a "floor;" however, the dollars generated by a Clemson/USC NIL game over and above that "floor" could be split evenly between the two schools. Just a quick thought ...

Feb 15, 2022, 8:37 AM

I thought about that as well. The problem is that schools like Coastal Carolina and Wofford would get their panties in a wad and demand a piece of the action under the guise of Equity. The next thing you know, Dabo is going to have to bid on a prospect from Florence against schools like Francis Marion who will overbid because they lack Dabo’s evaluation skills.

Feb 16, 2022, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: 10 Year Plan to Make Clemson a NIL Powerhouse ]

With the Fed, and State tax from the two lotteries going through SC would be enough to pay every player in sports at both schools, Clemson, and theysuck!!! And that's not counting the MILLIONSSSS spent on just scratch offs!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm really glad you took

Feb 15, 2022, 8:37 AM

your time to think about this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm really glad you took

Feb 15, 2022, 8:49 AM

Maybe we could start a Clemson Junior college in the Pee Dee. Would not come onto the main campus until their Jr. year. That would weed out the ones that do not adapt well to college life. That would also help the part of the state that has a shortage of good education basis for those counties.

IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A TIGER***

Feb 15, 2022, 8:45 AM

Re: IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A TIGER***

Feb 16, 2022, 10:42 AM

It would be even a greater day if Clemson could figure a way to keep our sports program as competitive as any in the country bc Clemson University is a great school for the young, and older groups wanting a better education.

The biggest problem with a much bigger Clemson University would be the crime that will always come with a bigger population. But, I've say everyday of my life, the reason there is so much crime in America, is bc we don't sentence the criminals in a way to deter crime. There is so much work in our country that needs real cheap, or free labor to improve the things that the tax payers are paying for now. Put our prison system to work with criminal working their entire sentence 6 days a week with each inmate having an implanted chip to know where they are every minute within a hundred mile radius. And CLEAN up America, and FIX up anything that our tax dollars are paying to clean up and fix.

Our prison system and our courts of law are failing the tax payers with death row inmate being kept 15-20 years before carrying out the sentence of death, and it cost the tax payer 10 X more to house a death row inmate, than it does an inmate in population/dorms, while they sleep or watch TV all day, or run their prison games that makes an inmate a hard core criminal for when they rejoin society after they serve their sentence of Rest with 3 Free meals a day, everyday they are incarcerated.

Put our prison system back to working for pennies, and save the tax payers money by putting our law breakers back to work cleaning up our city/county roads, and put them to work fixing everything that tax payers are now paying the labor bill for with everything that breaks down in our cities and counties. Tax payers pay for everything that it takes to incarcerate a law breaker, so the law breakers should be supplying the labor that our cities and counties has to have for cleaning up, and fixing everything that breaks.

Todays prison systems does nothing to rehabilitate the inmate, like working 10 hour days, 6 days a week for $0.50 an hour would do. At least by working them during their entire sentence, they could earn their keep that tax payers are paying for. And by working them, they would have a work habit that would help them hold a job when they are released. Inmates being released now, the last thing they want to do, is having to find a job, and going to work, bc they haven't had to work the entire time they were incarcerated, with the exception of 30 minutes to an hour a day doing dorm duties, or yard detail duties.

My neighbors son was just released after serving a 5 year drug sentence for having more than an ounce of weed 2nd offense, and he was telling me just the other day that his job in prison, took him 30 minutes twice a day!!! The real A$$ kicker was, he ask me if I knew where he could score some weed. I told him that I didn't know where any volume was, but I probably knew where he could get a free Doobie!!! ;)

So lemme get this straight: Your neighbor

Feb 16, 2022, 11:05 AM

got 5 years for weed, lol. What a waste of everything. Should be decriminalized, but whatever. So you want this person who committed the victimless crime of possessing weed to work 60 hours per week? What kind of concentration camp attitude is this? And to top it off you gonna get him a free doobie?

Full circle folks. Full circle.

Re: IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A TIGER***

Feb 16, 2022, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A TIGER*** ]

Don’t you think working 10 hours a day, six days a week for $0.50 an hour is a little extreme? They are already getting free food and lodging. You’ll literally motivate people to get arrested.

Any Clemson NIL program that doesn’t have

Feb 15, 2022, 8:49 AM

Hardees as it’s cornerstone is doomed to fail

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2022, 8:52 AM

Clemson is already getting too big. Bid is not the answer!
Texas, TAMU, Ohio State, etc…. Will always outnumber us with student body and alumni.
There is so much more money in Texas and other states for NIL.
We have to offer a great school, with some NIL money.
We lose if we just try to compete with $$$$. Dabo finds the right kids.

The coots have way more money than Clemson, a fact.
IPTAY has done a great job, and Clemson will never be able to compete for the money first kids.
So, we will never sign the likes of Cam Newton, Reggie Bush and many others.
And we will win with players like our quality stars XT, DW4, Trevor, Christian Wilkins, Cade, DJ, etc….
Dabo knows……

Go Tigers, Wreck Tech!

Feb 15, 2022, 9:42 AM

“ Texas, TAMU, Ohio State, etc…. Will always outnumber us with student body and alumni. ”

Did you even read my plan? This is EXACTLY what my plan addresses.

No offense, but you’ll go nowhere in life with that defeatist attitude.

I hope the plan includes “building up” as well.

Feb 15, 2022, 8:59 AM

Tack on a couple floors to each shoebox and about 6 floors of suites above chitlicker dining hall near McCabe up the hill. That’s prime real estate right there, up where the air is fresh.

NOT JUSS NO BUTT HELLNO TO THIS IDEA!

Feb 15, 2022, 9:29 AM

TOM WINKOP DONE RUIRNT THE HOLE TOWN ALREADY BY BRINGIN IN YANKEE NERDS AN PUTTIN HIGH RISES DOWNTOWN AND YOU SAYIN LETS DOUBLE DOWN ON THAT MAYBE YOU WANT ALL THE LOCAL BUSINESSES TO CLOSE AND THEIR TO BE AN HOUR WAIT TO GET IN TIGERTOWN TAVURN BUT NOT THIS GUY I DIDNT SAY NUTHIN WHEN DABO WANTED A SLIDE AND A PUTTPUTT COARSE BUT IM DRAWIN THE LINE AT CRUISE SHIPS GO TIGERS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obed

Feb 15, 2022, 9:48 AM

FOR MAYOR!

+1 for ruirnt. The extra r is important

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will vote for this idea

Feb 15, 2022, 10:20 AM

if I can have the contract for digging the canal and building the locks required to get those ships from Charleston harbor to Lake Hartwell..... :)

Re: I will vote for this idea

Feb 15, 2022, 10:28 AM

Don’t make things more difficult than they need to be. The key to this operation is speed of execution. Pulling them up 26 is much simpler.

Feb 15, 2022, 10:33 AM

Dont' laugh. SEC schools are already adopting this plan. Here's Kentucky's aircraft carrier.

2024 free_orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2022, 10:36 AM

Feb 15, 2022, 10:40 AM

How many horsepower do you think it would take to run sunset cruises around Hartwell in that thing? Doesn’t look big enough to house a few thousand students, but I’m sure it could be useful.

Feb 15, 2022, 11:31 AM

A similar model held every animal on earth, so I figure you can fit more students than you think on that baby

Feb 15, 2022, 2:24 PM

well...just two of each kind...but that's still a lot, so yeah, bring the kids over!

What would that do to the culture ?

Feb 15, 2022, 11:36 AM

Would those 15k fit the culture?

Trust Dabo. He has a sheet of paper in his desk with a plan already scribbled on it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would that do to the culture ?

Feb 15, 2022, 4:01 PM

Nobody trusts Dabo more than I do. I even have a bracelet with WWDD inscribed in it. I think we can easily find another 15K that would be willing to contribute to NIL opportunities. We really need to grow by more than 15K though to catch up to those other diploma mills.

Feb 15, 2022, 12:07 PM

Clemson.edu says that there are currently 27,341 students, including 5,688 graduate students. Do we really want it to be any larger?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 15, 2022, 12:18 PM

You’ve got to be trolling. We just finished 10th in recruiting. Every school ahead of us except Norte Dame, which is a known cult, has a higher enrollment than Clemson.

It’s a numbers game. More students, more NIL bucks, better recruits, more wins. You need to think big picture.

Feb 15, 2022, 1:05 PM

I need the plans to be a bit more in-depth before I can accept your proposal.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 15, 2022, 1:14 PM

How’s this for a start?

could build another Johnston, it went up quick. Plus

Feb 15, 2022, 12:10 PM

students won't be so soft after living in Johnstone

Feb 15, 2022, 12:47 PM

The problem is not the NUMBER of Clemson alumni willing to dish out big money to little kids. The problem is Clemson University is not producing enough billionaires.

The pressure is on academics. Is there a class on crypto?

Feb 15, 2022, 12:48 PM

The problem is not the NUMBER of Clemson alumni willing to dish out big money to little kids. The problem is Clemson University is not producing enough billionaires.

Oh look at Mr Fancy Pants

Feb 15, 2022, 6:09 PM

who managed to get reservations at Applebee's on Valentine's night.

#humblebrag

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Feb 16, 2022, 8:54 AM

They could build dorms for the rich and famous kids right on Lake Hartwell, and that would bring in money fast, giving the University a chance to come up with a big plan to increase enrollment another 15K!!!

We accepted about 49% of the 47,007 applications in 2021.

Feb 16, 2022, 11:15 AM

And 20% of those accepted…4,593.

All we have to do is raise that acceptance rate to about 100% and we should get about 10k in each class…a bit more when you consider that some of the newly accepted probably had no other schools accept them. So a student body of around 45-50,000 should be about four years away.

This plan is bulletproof.

null

Feb 17, 2022, 9:51 AM

I fully agree that NIL and the Transfer Portal were created by the power brokers who resent the success of our Clemson Tigers. No in the BIG Ten likes Clemson and and they cannot tolerate our success. Everyone in the SEC is pissed at us because we have a better record against Bama over the past 6 years than any of them have AND they hate it that lots of players from their shytthole states wisely choose to play for Clemson. I think our comparatively small size is an issue for both the BIG10 and Bama's League.

BUT we cannot afford to take a ten year plan. We need a 2 year plan. Luckily, I got one.

At the risk of friends of mine in low places, I have a slightly different approach to the whole issue of Clemson not being big enough. I call it the Trump Clemson Expansion Plan (TCEP). Instead of going to a lot of trouble to get bigger, we just start telling everyone that we are bigger. After September Clemson should announce that we have 52,000 students enrolled as undergraduates. I think we could easily just claim to be that big at once and no one would really care. Instead they would start to think that it makes sense for us to have the second best record in America in recent memory. In phase 2, after September of 2023, we should announce we have 82,000 undergrads enrolled at our 'main campus' and more who are attending remotely.

So we just inflate our assets and get on with winning more titles. That'll work. And the other schools will close down NIL and the transfer portal in short order because EVERYONE hates them both.

Just cause it needs to happen, in Phase 3 of our TCEP we should announce that we really did legally win the title following the 2015 season that Bama has been claiming. We should point out how small Bama is
and that the scoring in that contest was rigged when we do this and lots of other schools will support our claims because no one like Bama.

Let me remind everyone that it was not over when the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor.

Go Tigers!!

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic