Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some maffs for ya
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Some maffs for ya

Oct 6, 2018, 9:04 PM

I keep hearing a couple of recurring themes from the Talking Heads...

1) CLEMSON IS "SOFT" ON THE OL

Well, Clemson just ran for 471 - repeat (471)! - yards against Wake. This puts Clemson up to - get this - 280.3 yards per game rushing. Based on last week's stats, this would put Clemson at #5 nationally in rushing - behind mostly option teams like Georgia Tech, Navy, and Army.

If that's your version of "soft", okay, I guess.

2) CLEMSON'S SECONDARY AND PASS DEFENSE ARE SUSPECT

Uh...okay. We gave up big yards to Kellen Mond on the road at A&M...and Mond literally seemed to have a golden horseshoe jammed up his butt and was a highly mobile guy having the absolute game of his life. We haven't given up much to anyone else, including pass-happy Syracuse. This week Clemson gave up just (cough) 74 total yards passing to Wake Forest. That means Clemson is now giving up just 152.8 passing yards per game...which based on last week's stats would put Clemson at #7 nationally.

If that's your version of a "suspect secondary", I can live with it.

AND JUST FOR FUN....

Clemson racked up 698 yards of offense and allowed just 249. This means Clemson is now averaging 531 yards of offense per game, which by last week's stats would put Clemson at around #10 overall nationally.

Clemson's defense - despite emptying the bench and playing everyone up to and including third-stringers most games - is now allowing just 261.2 yards per game...which will keep us right around where we already were this past week, which was #4 overall nationally.

And just for giggles, the number of other teams in the country that are Top-10 nationally in both offense and defense?

Yup. There isn't one. For all that Bama's offense is breaking scoreboards this year, their D has quietly been extremely sub-par by Bama standards, allowing a surprisingly 332.2 yards per game...which would put them right around 30th by last week's stats. (By way of comparison, South Carolina was averaging 330.5 until they gave up 490 yards to Mizzou today...and still somehow won the game.)

Whatever, it's interesting how far different the actual numbers are from national perception. And the scary part is, Clemson's passing game really isn't hitting on all cylinders yet. And the more comfortable Trevor Lawrence gets....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus, we’re the only team in the country that

Oct 6, 2018, 9:13 PM

Keeps winning yet subsequently dropping in the polls each week.

So there’s that

Re: Some maffs for ya

Oct 6, 2018, 9:18 PM

Luvs dem maffs!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Love you quozzel...

Oct 6, 2018, 9:19 PM

But there were times (against Wake Forest) that the O line struggled. Now I’m sure, that they are fighting the fine fight between being a “pass first” offense and a “run first” offense. But it’s not a great look when the “mighty” Demon Deacons are dropping our long haired QB angel without even being touched by an offensive lineman. Don’t get me wrong... Clemson is good!

But there is some room for improvement! I’m sure you’d agree. The exciting part to me is, we’re still getting better!!!

Re: Love you quozzel...

Oct 6, 2018, 10:00 PM

Great as always quozzel but the poll drops has more to do with the eye test, and the perception of the acc. Some of that changes if aTm runs the table, we have some teams win like scar that will help our sos and the lack of a “big” win.

True, our offense has the numbers as does the defense but again, two things are hurting us. Lack of turnovers and highlight scores from the D, the competition, and lack of pass highlights like spring game... mostly due to our vanilla play calling, and the oline play has been poor. A lot of this imo is because we haven’t had predominant starters on both sides of the ball.

At the end of the day, we desperately need ND to lose to an acc team and we need to limit the sec to one team in cfp only.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems to me most of TLs sacks are on TL not

Oct 6, 2018, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Love you quozzel... ]

even sidestepping to avoid the rush and/or holding the ball for far too long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Me likey this post very much.***

Oct 6, 2018, 9:19 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2018, 9:24 PM

Superb as always , Quozz !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Most impressive stat to me is that we emptied the

Oct 6, 2018, 9:50 PM

bench...again. How many times now have we played every player in a game? Great for morale. Great for teamwork. Great for the future.

Oct 6, 2018, 10:02 PM

I agree with your points....but am puzzled by some of the calls made by the OC's.

Notably: what is the obsession with all the screens? I genuinely don't understand their obsession with throwing so many screens when WF was playing Cover 2 all day long. We should have been attacking the middle of the field ALL DAY LONG.

Lastly, I'm still not convinced our OL is very good on pass pro. I also think we have a real problem at RG. I saw numerous busts by #62 today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 6, 2018, 10:17 PM

I agree with your points....but am puzzled by some of the calls made by the OC's.

Notably: what is the obsession with all the screens? I genuinely don't understand their obsession with throwing so many screens when WF was playing Cover 2 all day long. We should have been attacking the middle of the field ALL DAY LONG.

Lastly, I'm still not convinced our OL is very good on pass pro. I also think we have a real problem at RG. I saw numerous busts by #62 today.

My sense with the screens was, the Deacs were in backed-off coverage, so hey, take the cheap and easy stuff and use it to get Trevor Lawrence - who has looked distinctly uneasy ever since taking over as starter - into a groove.

Lawrence is definitely improving, but he's also definitely a work in progress, too.

As far as #62 goes, I've seen the same thing the last few weeks...whereas Cervanka has looked like an absolute hoss when he's been in there. Not sure what the deal is, but given this year is his first real PT Stewart has had I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt he's shown more in practice than on the field to date. I'll admit I was ready to shoot him when he got a long third-down conversion wiped off the board with a completely unnecessary block in the back. Dude, if you ain't inside the tackle box and the guy is showing you his back numbers, GET YOUR HANDS OFF HIM. Lordy. Should be absolute reflex, at this level. I'm confident he'll hear about that one come film review time.

Oct 6, 2018, 10:22 PM

Well, when the OC's FINALLY started to attack MOF we scored. It seems they didn't get the memo that WF's defense is awful. WF stuck with C2 all afternoon. Not surprised we ran up nearly 700 yards on them.

TL is a work in progress, no doubt. But I see great things for him if he can stay healthy. He seems to miss his hot reads, that's something he needs to improve.

Screw Calford.

Oct 6, 2018, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Some maffs for ya ]

That cheap and easy stuff produced how many yards? That is right nothing. The only thing holding this offense back are those WR screens that produce nothing. Hood needs to man up and ask why we keep running them.

An out route or a 5 yard stop route is better. Everyone was screaming run up the gut and the vertical routes to start the game. Our OCs could not figure it out from the start?

Sorry that first quarter play calling really ticked me off. You can be vanilla without running that WR screen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, David Hood not

Oct 7, 2018, 7:29 AM

Asking why Clemson runs WR screens so much is holding the Tigers back? That's pure gold! So, Mr. Hood...are you going to 'man up'? ;) Come on, Man...a title hangs in the balance!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Some maffs for ya ]

Yep, he should hear a lot about that play, I threw my arm chair flag the moment that it occurred, and it was such a senseless penalty!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So let me get this straight, you have a problem with play

Oct 7, 2018, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Some maffs for ya ]

calling and our offense scored 63 points?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Some maffs for ya ]

Right side has been weak all season. Pollard is the weak link imho.

Oct 6, 2018, 10:11 PM

Our pass protection is very poor at times , not giving our down field game time to develop.
As you see on most 3rd and long pass plays , we usually punt.
This is killing us on converting 3rd downs, other than this the team played great today.
Also the secondary gets bailed out a lot because the QB has no time to find wide open rec’s.

Clemson punts on

Oct 7, 2018, 7:14 AM

3rd and long? Well...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It Just Means More.***

Oct 6, 2018, 10:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 8:15 AM

#1 is a case of how stats can distort reality. We had a great game, but there were 5 running plays that totaled 309 yards. That's 65% of our rushing yards on 12% of our rushing plays. I'm not sure that shows our OL is dominant. It shows that if our backs can get to the second level they can out run LBs and DBs.

In those 5 big runs the average was 61.8 ypc, in the other 35 it was 4.6 ypc (still good).

taking a look at that uscjr defensive number. they seem to get handed

Oct 7, 2018, 8:31 AM

games like that. see NC state last year. uscjr had around 250 Yds of offense I think, NC state had 500 and the birds won.

Oct 7, 2018, 2:35 PM

I, for one, hope that the praise keeps getting heaped on Alabama. For all those stats you listed through only 6 weeks, Clemson will be a force to be reckoned with come December and January. I can hardly wait.

Preach

Oct 7, 2018, 2:59 PM

I do have to wonder with the Bama defensive Stat if that's, to some degree, a product of them having an offense with a pulse. Tua is putting up early quick TDs. It'd be interesting to compare their time of possession this year to others for both sides of the ball.

Still, my impression of us is that we have been scoring on mostly explosive plays on quick drives this year so...
That's not a good excuse.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 7:16 PM

I 110% agree with you that, the A&M QB and his receivers had the golden horseshoe up their butts in the game that we played them. He had receivers 30-40 yards down field and some how put the ball close to them right before he hit the ground while being tackled, and by the golden horseshoe luck they saw the ball come out his hand, and they got to it and caught it.

Quozz, I even made a statement close to the one you've just made during that game. The FB God's must have pulled the golden horseshoes out their own butt's and handed to the A&M QB and a couple of their receivers, bc I've never seen that type of luck in a FB game!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic