Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section…
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section…

Feb 8, 2022, 11:50 AM

is the dork factor seems pretty high, and it’s getting worse every year. Please don’t take this as an insult, I’m not against nerds, it’s just that our student body seems to have lost its “cool factor”. It’s gotten to the point where I would be ok with us lowering our admission standards to help attract some kids with that “it” factor. As a last resort, I’d be willing to give free tickets to the local tech school/community college students, assuming they agree to wear Clemson attire to the games. I find most of them still look like they know how to treat their lady/man, drink a beer, and handle themselves in a fight. We could use more of that on TV. The last thing we need is for our student section to become the butt of jokes, like Georgia Tech’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section…

Feb 8, 2022, 11:54 AM

Im a student and I 100% agree with you. Its because Central Spirit leads the student section and once it became full of a bunch of weirdos people stopped wanting to join. They are also awful at leading a section, and thats why our environment has continued to get worse.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2022, 12:02 PM

Overthrow the nerds and bring back the cool kids! Revenge of the Cool Kids in 2022!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2022, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section… ]

As a former Central Spirit member several years ago, I can say you are correct. When I first joined I thought it would be a club for Clemson diehards like myself. I was wrong, it’s just a bunch of people wanting to be in a social club.

Feb 9, 2022, 10:57 PM

Shocked that a student would join a group expecting to make friends!!! But hey, isn't that what fraternities do? Hmmmm.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It appears the president of central spirit isn't...

Feb 8, 2022, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section… ]

happy with us, given the TDs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Those central spirit folks are tough guy wannabees.

Feb 9, 2022, 7:42 PM

I had a run-in with one of them while going into a soccer game as a student. That happy faced dork told me I couldn't have two noise clickers.

Let's just say I ended up with a whole bucket full of noise clickers and I'm pretty the raucus sounds from the folks in my section of the stadium are why the Tigers were victorious that night. I have no idea what happened to the central spirit guy after the ambulance left.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: It appears the president of central spirit isn't...

Feb 9, 2022, 9:01 PM [ in reply to It appears the president of central spirit isn't... ]

Francis Marion®, all you need to do is put pork_chop on ignore.
Tigerbalm1®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It appears the president of central spirit isn't...

Feb 9, 2022, 10:26 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Weirdos” is a bit strong

Feb 8, 2022, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section… ]

But it does indeed usually attract people who would otherwise be hard pressed to find friends. If they are using it for a friend group that’s fine. And they do actually go to many events, including soccer, women’s basketball, tennis etc.

Inst that what the frats are for

Feb 9, 2022, 10:37 AM

People who cant make friends otherwise ?

Yeah but they attract different personality types***

Feb 9, 2022, 10:09 PM

Central Spirit has ALWAYS been that way***

Feb 9, 2022, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: A disturbing trend I’ve noticed with our student section… ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The decline of fraternity participation at Clemson

Feb 8, 2022, 11:55 AM

is seen by many on here as a good thing.

There are always unforeseen consequences, unfortunately.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The decline of fraternity participation at Clemson

Feb 8, 2022, 3:45 PM

Yeah… I know for sure at football games we could use more people dressing like it’s the Kentucky Derby and leaving at halftime.

It's called "impressing the ladies"

Feb 9, 2022, 10:51 AM

if that doesn't motivate you then, well, I don't know what to say!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of us have ways other than wearing a bow tie.***

Feb 9, 2022, 12:57 PM

You got game, huh? Tell me your secrets!

Feb 9, 2022, 1:05 PM

Just don't tell my wife. ;)

agreed

it’s getting dangerously close to looking like the tnets.
which is a shame.

we really need a jersey and orange overall section. that way we can throw the coors light cans at the direction of tnetters and students in attendance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I have noticed this too

Little John was far more intimidating when drunk, male students in beards and overalls were allowed to stand under the hoop and taunt the other team's players. Hopefully, Neff Brings this tradition back, and sells more tickets to fans that are not dorks, it would be a start if Brownell does not resign.

Re: I have noticed this too

Feb 8, 2022, 1:50 PM

Heck yeah! We would have a much better team if only Littlejohn was the exact same as it was in the 90s and before! Best "seats" in the house was standing on those two little risers 3' from the court.

Re: I have noticed this too

Feb 9, 2022, 5:58 PM [ in reply to I have noticed this too ]

I was president of this group (yes, we were organized) when I was in school !!

The school paper constantly wrote negative pieces about us, stating we didn't deserve the floor tickets, which were reserved for us, & they refused to publish my response. As president, I required any member wanting tickets to the big games to attend the crap games against map-making schools. I also required members to attend some of the womens games to give them support. The newspaper was having none of it & insisted we should give up the plum seats for big games to the students who only showed up for the mens team's big games

The decline started with the lame

Feb 8, 2022, 12:19 PM

#### wimpy wooo hooo.

YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

Feb 8, 2022, 12:52 PM

we can start by face punching ANYONE who woo hoos. It sounds so freakin stupid. And I'm being nice. I cringe every time I hear it knowing that the rest of the world is laugh at us.

All woo hoo-ers should be banned from

Feb 8, 2022, 1:01 PM

ever attending another Clemson sporting event. And made to attend all coot home football games for eternity.

This is the most serious and not serious post of all time.***

Feb 8, 2022, 12:20 PM

Feb 8, 2022, 12:23 PM

It is not admissions per se just the way general population has declined with snowflake mentality

Since the OP . . .

Feb 8, 2022, 12:34 PM

the much heralded Francis, suggests we are akin to GT . . . Maybe we should look for proof to this speculation?

GT’s average SAT admittance score is 1465
Clemson’s average admittance score is 1310

While our scores are trending upward . . . We are not quite full blown nerds just yet . . . Maybe there is a slight glimmer of “Hope” that this can still be corrected . . . but by Hannah’s expression, we may have gone too far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since the OP . . .

Feb 8, 2022, 1:06 PM

Dang glad I didn’t need that SAT score when I got accepted.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Feb 8, 2022, 12:39 PM

Not against Nerds. OK. How about instead we open up the student section to the elite snobbish blue-blooded spoiled rich kids like you see at Puke or UNCheat.
Does that disturb you any more or any less?

I was pretty clear about the kind of student we need more of…

Feb 8, 2022, 12:58 PM

image wise.

If I am reading this correctly

Feb 8, 2022, 1:02 PM

you would prefer more real Americans like this at the games.

Spiffy…

Feb 8, 2022, 1:03 PM

Joe Diffie? Yes.

Feb 8, 2022, 12:51 PM

You do realized that geek is the new chic... I mean we are post-shia lebouf... not quite a nerd, not quite a hunk?

Heck out GOAT might look like this:

So who wants to tell these guys it isn't comicon?

Feb 8, 2022, 12:55 PM

I agree. My daughter joined Central Spirit for one year, then quit because she said there are a bunch of nerdy weirdos running it.
My wife and I, both Clemson grads from the 90s, went into TTT one night to watch a Clemson game. There was some idiot coot in there running his mouth, talking smack, pulling for the other team. It was packed with students and those p###### just sat in their seats and said nothing. My wife got up and told him to sit down and shut up or she’d beat his ###. He came over to our table and I stood up. He walked away when he saw I was 6’4.
Students back in our day would’ve smashed a bottle on his head and drug him out into the alley.

"lady/man" ??

Feb 8, 2022, 1:06 PM

I already know how to treat one those thank you very much.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

^^takes "business trips"

Feb 8, 2022, 1:09 PM

to Thailand.

It's because they're all from Connecticut now.

Feb 8, 2022, 1:31 PM

Connecticut is the dork epicenter of the universe.

Congrats Jim Barker, we hit the US News top 20 goal, and went from beer pong to Magic:The Gathering in the process.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson admissions got caught doing some corrupt

Feb 8, 2022, 1:31 PM

Ship a few weeks back ..:

Probably from that

Another post pandering to the Message Board Genieasses,

Feb 8, 2022, 1:34 PM

huh, Francis Marion® ? ?

Well - it was nice being #1 while it lasted. Thanks . . . for nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Check it out, Rocky.

Feb 8, 2022, 1:43 PM

He isn't wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Check it out, Rocky.

Feb 8, 2022, 1:46 PM

I'd still do all 4 of those girls in the front row.

Of COURSE chicks with "french" pits don't turn you off . . .

Feb 8, 2022, 4:51 PM

smdh

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Compare...

Feb 8, 2022, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Check it out, Rocky. ]

and contrast.

Looks like the short dude with the Marlboro has already picked out the opposing fan he's gonna throat punch, or chick he's gonna take home.

both those pictures show that a…

Feb 8, 2022, 2:14 PM

“safe word” would definitely be in play.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

No wonder Our Offensive lines were so good back then

Feb 8, 2022, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Compare... ]

they knew that there were athletes in the stands that could take their job. That short guy with the Marlboro looks like he has already picked out a lineman that is not giving 110%.

Lol. Which one is Judge Keller?***

Feb 8, 2022, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Compare... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol. Which one is Judge Keller?***

Feb 8, 2022, 4:09 PM

THOSE are football pictures.

Here is my creator. Bottom right, pink shirt. Behind the bench

POTD

Feb 8, 2022, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Compare... ]

laughed out loud

POTD

Feb 8, 2022, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Compare... ]

and contrast.

Looks like the short dude with the Marlboro has already picked out the opposing fan he's gonna throat punch, or chick he's gonna take home.

laughed out loud

almost duplicate post detected.***

Feb 8, 2022, 5:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Compare...

Feb 8, 2022, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Compare... ]

that is great! ah, the old Orange Bowl.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/college-football-orange-bowl-clemson-fans-in-stands-during-game-vs-picture-id509584416

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Omg I would almost rather see nerds

Feb 9, 2022, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Compare... ]

Than these bumpkins! Both are embarrassing. I wore those orange overalls in the 70’s when I was a kid. I even had the orange tennis shoes with the tiger paw on them and thought they looked good. I think of a hillbilly when I see them now.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn’t give you a TD…

Feb 9, 2022, 8:42 PM

But I was close.

Feb 8, 2022, 1:46 PM

I agree somewhat. The central spirit squad that sits in the front row seems mostly like 1-3 people who know what they are doing and the rest are just looking for a group to be in and don't know much about Clemson tradition and what they do know, they learned it as a freshmen. There is nothing wrong with that, its just some of the traditions we have is what makes our games fun and creates an energetic atmosphere that can turn hostile for opposing teams.

Also, if you sit in the student section and have another athletic club's shirt on, you should be banned for life. At least fake it so we look cool.

I swear if I could lead the chants for a day we would have Death Valley and Littlejohn rocking. The people who do it now do not strike fear into our opposing teams.

Feb 8, 2022, 2:36 PM

Never understood why we don't pass out shakers to the students and band. Looks really good on TV and hella better than people standing with their arms folded. Shake the hella out of them and yell the whole game like you see at Auburn or Bama.

No cootish towel waving though. Leave that to Columbia.

Feb 8, 2022, 2:47 PM

You mean toilet paper waving

it all started with the woo-hoo!***

Feb 8, 2022, 1:56 PM

Feb 8, 2022, 2:45 PM

so what? we should be glad they are even showing up. thanks for your support.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see...

Feb 8, 2022, 2:50 PM

On some level you identify as a nerd. You are not in academia, given the lowercase start to sentences. You are satisfied if something performs as designed, not so concerned with appearances. You are polite in your closing, but in an awkward way.

You are an engineer?

^^^^^Thinks That Corduroys Are "Cool"

Feb 8, 2022, 3:23 PM

Chubby thigh FM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2022, 10:34 AM

I've always believed in each to their own, but I'm starting to see this open thingy is getting to wide spread bc it's becoming kool to be that way!!!!

Feb 9, 2022, 12:40 PM

Ironic that successful football seasons have attracted more applicants. More applicants leads to higher admission standards. Higher achieving students are generally "nerdier". Meh.

Feb 9, 2022, 6:12 PM

It’s this entire generation. Boys wear shorter shorts than their girlfriends. Anytime that happens, we have become soft. Intimidating right?

Feb 9, 2022, 6:18 PM

Clemson is bringing in more out of State Students and high academic achievers. You get more Duke and Candy types and fewer Animal House types.

Feb 9, 2022, 7:23 PM

Maybe Clemson is getting harder to get into and that standards have risen since we were there?

Congerts

Feb 9, 2022, 8:39 PM

https://twitter.com/boardgeniuses/status/1491457491645116424?s=21

Feb 9, 2022, 9:29 PM

Only nerds use the word “dork” these days

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Appreciate the humor of your post...

Feb 9, 2022, 11:10 PM

Don't quite understand why people want to knock Central Spirit in response...

If it wasn't for Central Spirit many of our sports would have few if any students in attendance
If it wasn't for Central Spirit the First Friday parade would probably not exist
If it wasn't for Central Spirit there probably wouldn't be Homecoming Floats on Bowman
If it wasn't for Central Spirit there wouldn't be balloons at the games (oh... well... crap...)
If it wasn't for Central Spirit the Soccer atmosphere wouldn't be nearly what it is
If it wasn't for Central Spirit the Volleyball atmosphere wouldn't be nearly what it is
If it wasn't for Central Spirit quite a few promotions at Clemson sports wouldn't occur
If it wasn't for Central Spirit the teams wouldn't get their locker rooms randomly decorated once a year

Central Spirit has the most dedicated all-sport fans that the school has. Especially those on the Non-Revenue Sports committee (or whatever they call it now). I can't speak about how great the current leadership is or anything like that, but I can tell you that they work hard. It takes 20x as much effort to be a decent member of Central Spirit as it does IPTAY Collegiate Club.

Yes - some people join Central Spirit for the social aspects. Some do it because they want to be part of a group, but not Greek. There are some unique if not strange characters in the group. There's also a bunch of future doctors, future lawyers, future education leaders, future business people, etc. I'm also willing to bet that the average Central Spirit grad gives more to the University and probably IPTAY as well than the average Clemson student. There's a bunch of former Central Spirit grads that are among the most ardent supports of Clemson sports for many years to come.

At the 2018 National Championship, there were a bunch of Central Spirit alums from 1997-2003 era (including myself) that were there and supported the team.

So yeah - somebody needed to stand up for the some of the best dang fans at Clemson.
GO TIGERS!
Ken
Clemson '02
Central Spirit Non-Revenue Director 2000-2002

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2022, 2:21 PM

Come on man. College kids got it rough now. A lot of them can't even look between their legs and figure out if they are male or female.

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic