Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
fascinating thing about D-Ham & Donnell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 141

fascinating thing about D-Ham & Donnell

Apr 25, 2004, 9:09 AM

Want proof these guys threw themselves enthusiastically onto the bargain rack? Consider this:

Green Bay traded around to move up high enough in the 3rd round to grab DT Donnell Washington, who per Mel Kiper Junior was a 1st-round talent and one of the best "values" in the third round. (He also castigated Maryland DT Randy Starks for the same reason...Starks was picked one pick before Donnell was.)

D-Ham was taken by San Francisco five picks after Donnell Washington in the 3rd round. The fascinating thing was, the 49ers had brought in their old draft ace to evaluate the offensive talent in this year's draft, and work the phones during the draft...which means that the guy who made the decision to pull the trigger on D-Ham was almost certainly the 72-year-old Bill Walsh, considered by many to be perhaps the single brightest offensive mind and canniest judge of talent in NFL history. (Another intriguing factoid: a few years back, Walsh also grabbed the then-unknown small-school prospect Terrell Owens in the 3rd round, right about where he just got D-Ham.)

These guys just made themselves draft-day steals. I'm happy they're getting their opportunity...but I do feel bad for them, too. Who wants to be someone else's great bargain?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thoughts about D-Ham & Donnell and other board comments.....

Apr 25, 2004, 10:04 AM

Hopefully both will have long and productive NFL careers. I wonder if "testing" hurt Washington? If you recall the testing I posted in the Lounge about a week ago he rated very low. Kiper did say he would go in the first round. I believe he said the Titans? He might have been a first rounder if he had stayed his other year? Maybe being a third round pick will "push his buttons" and he'll play like he has something to prove?

Dham has a fantastic upside. I don't believe he'll be used as a #1 receiver, but more a slot guy. I wish you hadn't of mentioned him in the same sentence with "I" am TO. Walsh is no doubt a great evaluator of talent and they got a good one. Polian is my favorite evaluator.

I wish they hadn't left early, but I can comprehend the lure of the dollars. My reasons for them not leaving early are as all of ours as Clemson Tiger fans. Purely selfish. I think of Keith Adams and what might have been if he had stayed another year. Would he have had to spend a year in Europe? Would he have improved his chances of a higher draft position and making an NFL team immediately by staying?

And Mel you stole my Bernie Kosar label. Did y'all know Rivers has a wife and child? ;)

As far as this points thing on Tigernet. I'm not to concerned. I'm going to speak my mind whether it's liked or not. Pretty hard to get an honest opinion when it's a popularity contest. I guess you could call it a political contest then?

Your posts are some of the most informative and insightful of any poster on Tigernet.

And I really like the new spell check. Hey Tigernet is mispelled. :)

Bring back the "Classic Coke format".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 49ers picked up Derrick Hamilton for 2 reasons........

Apr 25, 2004, 10:42 AM

Notes: Hamilton is the 7th player the 49ers have selected from Clemson and the first taken since linebacker John Johnson was selected with the 53rd selection of the second round in 1991. The only other wide receiver taken from Clemson by the 49ers was Dwight Clark in 1979.

Official 49ers website

They choose Derrick for his 4.4 speed and for his kickoff abilities. Rashaun Woods of Oklahoma State was the wide out they wanted which they got.

"He expected to be chosen in the second round, but the 49ers expect to use him as a kick returner. He also might compete for a starting job at receiver"

"We brought in two guys who are pretty fast," Erickson said of Woods and Hamilton. "Are they 4.3 guys? No, but they can move."

From Fox sports...

Clemson's all-time leader in receptions and all-purpose yards, Hamilton is a playmaker with a large frame and nimble feet. He has the separation skills to get open and the athleticism to turn short routes into long runs. He carries the ball well after the catch, displaying quick acceleration and decent power. His hands are inconsistent, however. He makes circus catches at times but has a tendency to drop balls that are well thrown. Hamilton needs to be more aggressive as a blocker in addition to shedding the press off the snap. He also needs work in selling his routes to defensive backs. Though physically gifted, he lacks experience and polish. Hamilton was a special teams standout at Clemson and may return kicks and punts in the NFL.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

49ers

Apr 25, 2004, 11:15 AM

Notes: Hamilton is the 7th player the 49ers have selected from Clemson and the first taken since linebacker John Johnson was selected with the 53rd selection of the second round in 1991. The only other wide receiver taken from Clemson by the 49ers was Dwight Clark in 1979.

Would Terrance Flagler count, or since he was a running back at Clemson who was turned into a receiver, through him out of this category?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's Leake may 'jump' into NFL Draft

Apr 25, 2004, 11:04 AM

Clemson's Leake may 'jump' into NFL Draft

By DUANE RANKIN, Gannett News Service
Sunday, April 25, 2004

CLEMSON -- With one leap, Clemson University senior linebacker John Leake became a valid NFL Draft pick prospect. Well, it was actually two.

When NFL scouts watched Clemson players go through various workouts and drills during the school's Pro Day in March, Leake pulled off a 43½-inch vertical jump. Not believing what had just happened, the scouts asked Leake to do it again. He did and with that jump, Leake said he's being considered a late-round pick.

The vertical jump is considered one of three major tests for pro prospects with the 40-yard dash and the number of consecutive times one can bench 225 pounds the other two.

"I have no clue where that jump came from," Leake said. "My daddy can't jump. My mom can't jump. My brother can jump, but I don't know if he can jump as high as me ... My stock went up. I know there isn't anyone in the NFL Draft that had a 43.5-inch vertical. That's pretty neat to be No. 1 in something.

"All the scouts told me I had a great workout," Leake continued.

Leake, a three-year starter who ended his college career with 443 tackles, has also worked out individually for Green Bay and Dallas, but isn't banking on being drafted. Draft expert Mel Kiper, Jr., has Leake being the 36th rated outside linebacker in his latest draft report book.

Leake was an inside linebacker at Clemson.

"I look at in the worst way so I won't be disappointed," Leake said. "I hope I get drafted, but if I don't get drafted, I know I'm going to get a chance. I think I have a good chance of being drafted, but you never know."

Leake said he expects to be "antsy" watching the draft in Clemson today and Sunday.

"Whatever team gets me is going to be lucky," Leake said. "I'm in it to produce, play the game and make big plays."

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

Packers go big with Washington......'he's a powerful guy"

Apr 25, 2004, 11:13 AM

Packers go big with Washington

By Paul Adamski
News-Chronicle
All Donnell Washington wants is to prove all his critics wrong. And if he proves just half of them incorrect, the Green Bay Packers will be happy.

Staying with its defensive mindset on Day 1 of the 69th NFL Draft, the Packers selected the Clemson defensive tackle in hopes of improving their run defense and perhaps finding a diamond in the rough.

The Packers thought so highly of Washington that for the second time of the day they made a trade with Jacksonville. Green Bay sent its original third-round (86th overall) and fourth-round (118th overall) selections to the Jaguars for their third-round choice (72nd overall).

By moving up 14 spots in the round, Washington became Green Bay's second of three third-round selections on Saturday.

"He's very talented," Packers vice president of football operations Mark Hatley said. "He covers a lot of ground, but what excited us the most was ... athletically he's a special big man."

Washington, a two-year starter for Clemson, brings an excellent blend of size, strength and quickness to the Packers' defensive line. He's a dominating run stuffer who shows a relentless nature in pursuit. He has been compared to former Clemson great Chester McGlockton for his ability to instantly plug the rush lanes and with his explosive burst into the backfield.

Sherman said Washington could give the Packers the option of moving defensive tackle Cletius Hunt to the power end, keeping Washington and Grady Jackson in the inside. While he could play as many as three positions on the defensive line, Washington said his best position is tackle.

"I'm big and physical," Washington said. "I'll eat up a lot of blockers.

Nobody disputed his size, he's 6-foot-5, 323 pounds, but many experts and even his college coach disagreed with Washington's decision to come out early. The knock on Washington is that he is lazy and takes plays off.

Washington figured he'd go "sometime in the second round" and noted that he felt he was capable of bringing his game to the next level. As far as the notion that he took plays off in college, Washington said that was just a part of Clemson's defensive scheme. "That was by design," Washington said.

Washington's weight is also a concern. While he is listed at 323 pounds, that was after an intense workout program in California that led him to change his diet en route to dropping 28 pounds.

Washington says the heaviest he ever weighed was 340, but the math doesn't add up. When asked to reveal his "real" heaviest weight, he again said 340. So it's unknown just how big Washington has been.

Regardless of his weight and history of taking plays off, the Packers get a powerful player who has the potential to be a force.

"(Washington) was the best big man player left on the board," Hatley said. "He powerful, he's a powerful guy."

Donnell Washington has a lot to prove ........

Apr 25, 2004, 11:16 AM

Donnell Washington has a lot to prove
By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

The knock on defensive tackle Donnell Washington when he came out of Clemson a year early was that he was lazy, overweight and took too many plays off.

A promise to prove those critics wrong plus athleticism that is rare in a 6-foot-5½, 323-pound man was enough for the Green Bay Packers to select Washington in the third round of the NFL draft on Saturday.

They traded up 14 spots in the round — sending their fourth-round pick (No. 118 overall) to Jacksonville — in order to take Washington, who reportedly left Clemson against the advice of his coaches. He went to Oakland after the college season ended to work with a personal trainer in an effort to prove his critics wrong.

“Coming out of school, everyone thought, ‘Donnell is lazy,’” Washington said. “That’s people’s perception. I’m going to change that. That’s why I went through all the training. I have to work a little bit harder. By me going out (to Oakland), that changed my mentality around.”

Washington tested well at the February scouting combine, and the Packers believe in his natural talent, strength and quickness. They think he can play either defensive tackle position — the nose guard or the three-technique tackle. Vice president of football operations Mark Hatley believes Washington also could play the power defensive end spot.

“He’s very talented,” Hatley said. “He covers a lot of ground. That’s the thing that excited us the most. You don’t see exactly what kind of athlete he is on tape. When you saw him work out at the combine, athletically, he’s a special big man. Obviously, you don’t just go off the workout. We spent a lot of time with this kid. We think he has a huge upside. When you see him, he’s a giant of a man.”

Hatley downplayed the knocks against Washington.

“He’s a young player, and I think young players will mature,” Hatley said. “I think you saw him mature. Is he any different than a lot of players? No. Does he need to finish (plays) better sometimes? Yeah, but I think you can say that about anybody. When you get him playing to the potential that we think he can, I think we’ll be excited about him.”

Hatley said the Packers had Washington rated much higher than James Lee, an unheralded defensive tackle they took last year in the fifth round. Lee got hurt in training camp and spent all of last season on injured reserve.

“I liked James Lee last year,” Hatley said. “But I think (Washington) has more upside.”

Washington said he lost 28 pounds during his workout session in Oakland this winter, but his math doesn’t add up because he said he never weighed more than 340 pounds and now weighs 323.

“I just want to prove the critics wrong,” Washington said.

Replies: 6
| visibility 141
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic