Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1st football season without my Dad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

1st football season without my Dad

Jul 22, 2015, 8:54 AM
image.jpg(246.4 K)
image.jpg(143.2 K)
image.jpg(100.0 K)

I lost my Father last Christmas to Alzheimer's disease, he was 83 years old. An avid fan of sport, any sport, and an athelete himself, my Dad loved college football most of all. A buckeye by birth, he became a Tiger fan when I got accepted to and eventually graduated from Clemson and even when his memory was failing him we could still talk Tiger football. This season without him will be most difficult but I will think of him often and enjoy every second of it.

6 months ago I began training for the Ride to Remember, a bicycle ride across SC to raise awareness and funds for the Alzheimer's Association. I wanted to do something to honor my Dad and help the cause. Well, this past weekend I crossed the finish line with my Dad after 252 miles of strenuous cycling. This next weekend marks the end of the donation period for the ride. If you have been affected by Alzheimer's and are so inclined I would appreciate any donation large or small to Team Ripley. The work the Alzheimer's Association is doing to find better treatments and hopefully one day a cure is critical to the health and well being of our older population.

??Http://act.alz.org/goto/TeamRipley

Thanks and God Bless

GO TIGERS!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This will be year 19 for me..

Jul 22, 2015, 8:59 AM

I will be in touch to help with TeamRipley

God bless brother

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This will be year 19 for me..

Jul 22, 2015, 9:04 AM

Thank you much. I hope it gets easier. So far its been a bear without him. I wore that very sweatshirt he has on in the picture (circa 1989) to the bowl game this year and we kicked the crap out of Oklahoma. I know he was smiling down that night.

(And thanks for the donation! The easiest way to contribute is with the link I provided above)

Somewhow I think he'll be with you.

Jul 22, 2015, 9:00 AM

Like mine has still been with me these last few seasons since his passing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somewhow I think he'll be with you.

Jul 22, 2015, 9:19 AM

Well said!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1st football season without my Dad

Jul 22, 2015, 9:19 AM

Very similar story with my Mom. What a Clemson fan, and even when she didn't know much about what was going on, she'd smile every Saturday when my sister would put on her Clemson sweatsuit and put her in front of the TV to see the Tigers. God bless, and be so thankful he was in your life!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2015, 10:04 AM

You are a living testament to your Dad's greatness as both a man and a Dad! I lost my dad 17 years ago and he was the person that gave me and influenced me in all things Clemson. He graduated n 1955 and I graduated in 1989. While we were different men, I loved my Daddy deeply and we both loved our Tigers. I have no children but I do have a Little Tiger in my 7year old nephew. When we watch games together or look at re-plays I sometimes get tearful but happy thinking of how happy Daddy would be and he will ask me "What's wrong, we won?" I just smile and say "nothing buddy....GO Tigers!" The truth is Daddys never, ever leave our sides, especially during Clemson Football games, they are right there beside us.....Go Tigers!

Jul 22, 2015, 10:09 AM

God Bless you! It's #16 for me without my Dad; he was a former IPTAY Rep. for almost 40 years! As the Tigers run down the hill, I look to where my Mom and Dad would have been sitting - then cheer for the Tigers as tears flow from my eyes! I often walk by his Lot 6 parking space knowing if at all possible his car would be parked there. I feel my Dad's presence more when I am in Clemson than I do when I visit his gravesite! Without a doubt, my love for Clemson and my degree from there is because of him!

Jul 22, 2015, 11:51 AM

Best wishes and hold tight to those memories.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2015, 4:40 PM

Your post hit home in so many ways! This season will be my 15th without my Dad. While I miss his presence I know he is still a part of me, especially when football starts. He took me to Clemson in 1959 and I owe him so much beyond that wonderful experience.

Go Tigers!

The grief will never end.

Jul 22, 2015, 12:32 PM

You will find over the years the periods of grief will be as intense but the frequency will change. The events will become further and further apart but the intensity goes on and on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those who go before us...

Jul 22, 2015, 12:45 PM

have the best seats in the house...and are surrounded by some of the greatest Clemson fans ever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done..a donation for Team Ripley & my deceased Mother RuRu, a Clemson Fan

Jul 22, 2015, 2:18 PM

She had & died of Alzheimer's 7 years ago and went to quite a few games & bowls , including the 1977 ND game.

R.I.P. & GoTiGERS Everywhere!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Done..a donation for Team Ripley & my deceased Mother RuRu, a Clemson Fan

Jul 22, 2015, 4:20 PM

Many thanks lightbulb! My Dads nickname was Ripper. I hope when we play ND in the Valley this October that we win one for the Ripper. (...and for RuRu too!)

Re: Done..a donation for Team Ripley & my deceased Mother RuRu, a Clemson Fan

Jul 22, 2015, 4:24 PM

> Many thanks lightbulb! My Dads nickname was Ripper.
> I hope when we play ND in the Valley this October
> r that we win one for the Ripper. (...and for RuRu
> too!)

I love it!!!! Win one for the ripper!!!!

:D

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry for your loss buddy... :(

Jul 22, 2015, 4:23 PM

:(

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic